Protesters Block Access To Phuket, Hat Yai, Krabi Airport

george

It's 21.35 now and I just got some important news, (but as yet unconfirmed). A colleague tried to drive their car off Phuket Island and over the Sarasin Bridge which connects Phuket with the mainland (PhangNga province). however, they were turned back by PAD protesters who have shut the bridge!

I can only confirm this by driving up to the bridge - so I might do this and report back.

Simon

Sigh, cringe, hold head in disbelief.... wait for more info.

Please let us know what's going on Simon and please say it aint so... (Re the bridge)

It realy would be helpful to know if the Sarasin Bridge is closed as I had planned to drive up to Bangkok (I am asumimng the airport will still be closed on Sunday) with my family, which includes a baby, on Sunday morning in order to get a flight back from Bangkok to the UK tomorrow night.

If anyone with knowledge of the area could report the situation it would be great help.

Thanks in anticipation

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tourists stuck in Thailand

Article from: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/' target="_blank">

AAP

August 30, 2008 11:10am

HUNDREDS of Australian travellers are stuck in Thailand after protesters forced the closure of three airports.

The resort island of Phuket was the first airport to shut its doors, followed by Krabi and Hat Yai in the country's south as protests spread across the country yesterday.

Jetstar diverted its Sydney-Phuket flight to Bangkok last night.

A spokeswoman says Australian passengers booked on the return flight, from Phuket to Sydney, had been provided with accommodation as they wait for the airport to re-open.

The spokeswoman could not specify how long the 265 passengers will have to wait.

"(Passengers) in Phuket have been accommodated, if they haven't been able to remain in their hotels that they were already staying in," the spokeswoman told AAP today.

"Once we've got the advice from DFAT (Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade) and the airport is open then we will know that we can operate out.

"That's the situation until we have advice that we can operate out."

More than 5,000 protesters invaded Phuket International Airport yesterday, storming its two runways and preventing passengers from going in or out, according to an Agence France-Presse report.

The low-cost carrier flies between Sydney and Phuket three times per week.

The airport protests came as thousands of activists have laid siege to Bangkok's Government House calling for Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej to resign.

DFAT updated its travel advice for Thailand last night to highlight the risk posed by the political unrest, on top of long-standing warnings about the threat of a terrorist attack.

"There are on-going large political demonstrations in Bangkok, a number of which have been disruptive and have blocked access to key buildings and roads," the department warns.

"The demonstrations have also affected access to some airports including in Bangkok, Phuket, Hat Yai and Krabi and disrupted some rail and air services."

Thailand's southern provinces continue to have a "Do not travel" rating, while for the whole country tourists are urged to show a "High degree of caution".