Warning To All English People

Boater

I have just had two thai people call me to let me know that if i am approached by a Thai not to mentioned that i am from England, but to say that i am from Irland or Holland

Reason, there is mobs of Thai's going after people from Engalnd as they are unhappy that our goverment is supporting Thaksin

It is on the Thai news channels now....

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in Phuket and there are definitely no mobs I or any of my friends here have heard of. The closure of the airport and total absence of business is the main concern here, believe me.

It would be very useful if you could give a little bit more information than just hearsay.

How about the USA? We should be OK. GW was just here.

My landlady, middle-aged Thai, college in US, comes from a wealthy family, asked me if she should sell (one of 14) an apartment she owned in my bldg. Her husband said not to as prices will rise. I said sell if the price is right. He's probably right.

Short term is not good, and it's already a slow season. I stay close to home anyway.

I am in Phuket and there are definitely no mobs I or any of my friends here have heard of. The closure of the airport and total absence of business is the main concern here, believe me.

It would be very useful if you could give a little bit more information than just hearsay.

Normally i would not post this kind of comment, but i had two Thais who where very worried about my safety as they where reading this from the news on the TV.......

And i posted to warn people incase that someone did come up to them and ask this question, at least they will be prepared

I really hope those this will not happen, as it would affect the tourism alot

We are Thailand, not Rwanda !

Edited by Boater

Thanks for posting (seriously, you never know!) but of course, all Thais ask you where you are from. But now youve put this in my head I am actually going to hesitate when answering!! The solution is to ensure one only speaks with attractive young females. It's a tough change from the norm.

Edited by OxfordWill

Do you know more about the Mobs? are they large numbers and where are the Mobs now? also which Thai news channel was this on? I didn't see this yet.

It sounds very unlikely but you never know! I can see the logic of some idiots doing this considering PAD were protesting at The UK embassy last week asking for Taksin to be sent back.

Thanks.

I have just had two thai people call me to let me know that if i am approached by a Thai not to mentioned that i am from England, but to say that i am from Irland or Holland

Reason, there is mobs of Thai's going after people from Engalnd as they are unhappy that our goverment is supporting Thaksin

It is on the Thai news channels now....

Well. That's got most of the island quaking in their boots then. :o

Do you know more about the Mobs? are they large numbers and where are the Mobs now? also which Thai news channel was this on? I didn't see this yet.

It sounds very unlikely but you never know! I can see the logic of some idiots doing this considering PAD were protesting at The UK embassy last week asking for Taksin to be sent back.

Thanks.

I believe it was chanel 3, but i do not speak Thai , so could not understand

I'd rather get beaten up than pretend I am Dutch !!! :D

And why would that be, big shot TexasRanger....? Are you better ?......:D

I know a very nice couple from Europe, living on Samui.

Their son's friend (an American guy) was almost beaten to death by a group of Southern Thai on the Full Moon party on Koh Phangan...they were acting very friendly to him, asking where he was from.

When he, friendly, answered he was from the US, they attacked him with serious consequences. That was 3 years ago.

So; if YOU wish to follow his example, go ahead.

Sometimes it's wiser to pretend -in the heat of the Thai moment- to be from somewhere else rather than to be a dckhead.

Be it Holland :o

LaoPo

I just called Uncle who is a copper and he said he hadnt heard about this, but that he thought it was quite believable since as he put it "Bad men like to use Thaksin for fun" (edit: assume he means yobs using any excuse to beat people up)

LaoPao - one of the reasons Texas Ranger doesnt want to be Dutch is because they have no sense of humour! (JOKE)

Edited by OxfordWill

And why would that be, big shot TexasRanger....? Are you better ?...... :D

Their son's friend (an American guy) was almost beaten to death by a group of Southern Thai on the Full Moon party on Koh Phangan...they were acting very friendly to him, asking where he was from.

When he, friendly, answered he was from the US, they attacked him with serious consequences. That was 3 years ago.

Sometimes it's wiser to pretend -in the heat of the Thai moment- to be from somewhere else rather than to be a dckhead.

LaoPo

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

Get yourself a sense of humour before you get an ulcer eh?

I always say I am from Canada. Eh?

Many times I just tell them I am Thai, you'd be amazed how many times they answer "Really?" :o

I was talking to a driver a while back and he asked me if I was Thai ??? I am a hoofing great Westerner so I don't know where he got that from.

LaoPo

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

I didn't realize your sentence was meant humorous...quite some humor though :D

Being a Texan Ranger, why do you write humour.....and not humor ? :D

LaoPo

LaoPo

I didn't realize your sentence was meant humorous...quite some humor though :D

Being a Texan Ranger, why do you write humour.....and not humor ? :D

LaoPo

Because I am bloody English sir and don't hold no truck with that there Hamerican spelling. :(

This thread is really unhelpful to the expats who live here and almost certainly causes unecessary angst amongst some small percentage of readers. Frankly, I think it's all a load of rubbish that should never have been posted in the first place and is nothing more than an extension of the ridiculous comments we have already seen this weekend surrounding the current political strains.

This thread is really unhelpful to the expats who live here and almost certainly causes unecessary angst amongst some small percentage of readers. Frankly, I think it's all a load of rubbish that should never have been posted in the first place and is nothing more than an extension of the ridiculous comments we have already seen this weekend surrounding the current political strains.

...thanks for the opinion....and now back to the "current political strains" of the weekend.......

..... do you believe that McCain? He is actually allowing a woman to run as his VP candidate???? (Oh sorry wrong topic, should have been posted on that thread about the 'world coming to an end'.) :o

I especially liked the part that read, "Fifteen thousand people were turned away from the airport on Phuket and the Thai tourist authority is pleading with hoteliers to give stricken tourists accommodation".

But really though, I would have expected the visit to be canceled although the reasons have nothing to do with safety concerns.