Enormous Hole Of Firewall!

sabina

Now !!!

You are in the Internet and some of you use Firewall.

What you know about Firewall?

You think Firewall safe? no! no!

How it works?

it will close all danger ports and allow some ports to connect for example FTP (21), E-mail (23), HTTP (80) etc.

The weak point >>> if someone use anonymous software to connect with port 21, 23 or 80 What will happen?

some case anyone can connect to your PC if you not careful.

The way to know what the ports are Firewall open >>> sent ICMP or RAW of scan and find open port this case Firewall will not block!!! and Jackpot!!! then go through the Firewall.....

We can trust the FIREWALL???

** what do you think about? ** or any discuss

I'm no expert but I'm sure that having a firewall is better than not having one.

There are some malicious people out there who would just love to get at all your personal details and a firewall, although not 100%, will stop most of them.

There are plenty of products on the market - anti-virus too - that are worth considering. The one that I use (EZ) regularly claims to have stopped intrusions so I guess that it must be doing something. Also stops all those annoying pop-up ads so it's worth having just for that! :o

Errr... that's not a very good interpretation of what a firewall does. The thing is, a firewall has "rules" and those rules govern what can pass between the protected computer and the network it's connected to. The major rules are specified usually by direction (incoming, outgoing), port, protocol, destination, source.

What you have wrong is that firewalls *do* allow connections to ports 21, 80, etc. but the *direction* is outgoing, ie from your computer to the network, not the other way around. If they didn't, you wouldn't be able to access the net at all. If someone from outside were to attempt to connect to your computer through a typically configured firewall through those ports they would be stopped (even the default windows firewall does this). The only exception would be in cases where you have opened a server in your computer and specifically opened those ports, in which case you WANT outside connections.

In other words, pretty much ANY attempt to initiate a connection from the outside to your computer will not get through a typical default firewall *unless you specifically open those ports*.

#The only exception would be in cases where you have opened a server in your computer and specifically opened those ports, in which case you WANT outside connections........................................#

and what sort of programmes inside a regular home use non-networked computer can act as servers and should they be shut down for security reasons or is it necessary to keep them open ?

Now !!!

How it works?

it will close all danger ports and allow some ports to connect for example FTP (21), E-mail (23), HTTP (80) etc.

The weak point >>> if someone use anonymous software to connect with port 21, 23 or 80 What will happen?

The way to know what the ports are Firewall open >>> sent ICMP or RAW of scan and find open port this case Firewall will not block!!! and Jackpot!!! then go through the Firewall.....

Sorry Sabina but i would say you need to brush up on your firewall 101 techniques. A firewall is of course as good as the person who programs it.

Firewalls do indeed block ports on Tcp/ip but do far more then that.

Lookup some items like DMZ, statefull inspection, port translation, Vpn ect...

I'm sure a lot of firewalls in thailand are glorified routers , but that's not the devices fault. It's The System administrators fault :o

it's true have Firewall is better than. Suppose you have Firewall that can block 100% hackers acts but you're not careful you were attacked!!!!

Be careful about anonymous mails, hacks & cracks web page banners etc...

hi'

I guess that most of us have understood the importance of a firewall and of the rules applied to them.

as well as for malware, virus, worms etc etc ...

we had been quite a few to try to nail this strongly in order to make our fellow members understand that it was a very important thing to do.

being careful about anonymous emails ...??

I don't think this is the TV's style.

hacks cracks and web page banners ... hmm hmm, what kind of web site do you visit?

no need for paranoia unless you go to some dark territory of the web ...

keep it cool, no one needs to be scared, and everybody knows that some sites are more dangerous than others ...

cheers

francois

it's true have Firewall is better than. Suppose you have Firewall that can block 100% hackers acts but you're not careful you were attacked!!!!

hi'

I guess that most of us have understood the importance of a firewall and of the rules applied to them.

we had been quite a few to try to nail this strongly in order to make our fellow members understand that it was a very important thing to do.

hacks cracks and web page banners ... hmm hmm, what kind of web site do you visit?no need for paranoia unless you go to some dark territory of the web ...

keep it cool, no one needs to be scared, and everybody knows that some sites are more dangerous than others ...

cheers

francois

There are many site that .....

- design pages with scripts (in can not specific)

>>> solve by disable script in IE (in Advance Tab)

- stealth in download files

>>> in case of stealth there can do b'coz Windows won't show some file

Ex. filename.txt/xls/doc and any.stealthname

this example Windows will show only filename.txt/xls/doc and any must not show stealth [if you search (F5) it still display filename.txt/xls/doc and any

BUT!!! you have the way to fix it only set Windows to display all name...

i'm not sure about stealth can use in exe or media files or not coz those files can use Adware!!!

ps. i post b'coz would like suggest anyone who suffing net careful about the cyber world and exchange some idea with others

hi'

hacks cracks and web page banners ... hmm hmm, what kind of web site do you visit?no need for paranoia unless you go to some dark territory of the web ...

cheers

francois

this example Windows will show only filename.txt/xls/doc and any must not show stealth [if you search (F5) it still display filename.txt/xls/doc and any

i'm not sure about stealth can use in exe or media files or not coz those files can use Adware!!!

ps. i post b'coz would like suggest anyone who suffing net careful about the cyber world and exchange some idea with others

? Thai It admin on Speed??? :D:o

A firewall doesn't stop spyware or addware as it comes over your surfing port 80 and you request the pages. It can stop virusses in cooperation with your virus scanner if installed. You need and a firewall,a spyware scanner and a virus scanner installed and updated for your system to be reasonably ok.

hi'

cheers

francois

? Thai It admin on Speed??? :D:o

A firewall doesn't stop spyware or addware as it comes over your surfing port 80 and you request the pages. It can stop virusses in cooperation with your virus scanner if installed. You need and a firewall,a spyware scanner and a virus scanner installed and updated for your system to be reasonably ok.

Yes Right !!!!!!

Firewall can not stop spyware or adware..

So must update Windows, Anti-Virus and Firewall.

If anyone who want to remove spyware should use remove spyware software it doesn't work 100% but better than none

If your concerned about your firewall, go to: ShieldsIP!

and run the various tests provided.

Also, go to LeakTest

to download and run the firewall tester.

Complete info and explanations on these test and their results, is available at:

http://www.grc.com

Cool, thanks for the great info waldwolf!

I'm using Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.5, AVG 6.0 Free Adition anti-virus, Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.05, Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3.1TX and Spywareblaster 3.2 - update all of them quite frequently, and 'sleep' rather well, while connected to Internet via TRUE hi-speed and Zyxel USB modem.

If your concerned about your firewall, go to this link ShieldsUP! and run the various tests provided. Also, go to this link, download and run the LeakTest firewall tester.

Complete information and explanations on these test and their results, is available at: http://www.grc.com

hi'

everyone reading this post should bookmark this page, and go there every now and then to check that all is fine ...

thanks to remind this address waldwolf :o

francois

• 2 weeks later...

Avoid hackers

Now, i wanna suggess some way to do...

1. Use famous Firewall

Ex. ZoneAlarm, Norton Personal Firewall, McAfee Firewall

2. Use proxy (anonymous IP) that you can learn and use proxy on www.proxy4free.com

- proxy is the one chioce that make you safe b'coz it will stealth you real IP and show their IP

....... - proxy is the one chioce that make you safe b'coz it will stealth you real IP and show their IP

sabina - Don't be lulled into believing any proxy or similar product will keep you 100% "safe" from prying (hacking) fingers.

With the best firewall, the best proxy and all the rest, one item which is virtually "unprotectable" is your browser. Each website you visit has the potential to put some type of "malware" on/into your system, either directly through programs you download or simply by your browser displaying pictures on an infected website.

These "malware" have the capability of defeating both your firewall as well as most antivirus software and establishing "backdoor" avenues which report your movements and, in some cases, allow for remote access/manipulation of your whole system.

It is a constant battle to avoid these pitfalls, and unfortunately, it is likely to get worse, before it gets better.

As the Mother said to her daughter, "...when in doubt, cross your legs."

My advice ".......don't keep anything on your internet-surfing computer, you wouldn't want the world to see."

:o

Now !!!

How it works?

At least turn off yor plug n play port with this free download,that's one less to think about http://grc.com/UnPnP/UnPnP.htm

At the end of the day, you can do all that, but a determined intruder if properly trained will breach your machine, regardless of the security system applied.

The notion now is the same as a safe in a bank. The average punter cannot ever gain aggess, but a trained person with tools and time will eventually gain entry.

Some things to consider in that case :

Never leave your machine connected to the internet for long periods of time. So if you have ADSL, turn off your machine or disconnect it from the internet (lan cable).

If you need to stay connected for a long time, release your IP Lease and change your IP address.

If you have static IP, you can have a problem.

And no I am not going to give a step - by - step guide to all the toolz and warez.

Win2K and ME DO come with a webserver all set up: IIS. A number of the Windows patches have been to fix problems associated with this setup. So, unless you are up to date with all the Windows patches and Service packs, you have a serious vulnerability. <a href="http://www.cit.cornell.edu/computer/security/seminars-past/iis-july01/"> Here's more info </a>

sabina - If your concerned about your firewall, go to this link ShieldsUP! and run the various tests provided. Also, go to this link, download and run the LeakTest firewall tester.

Complete information and explanations on these test and their results, is available at: http://www.grc.com

Thanks for "Shields UP" link - made me feel a little more secure....

All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.
Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.

Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!

One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.

Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.

All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

And I still get about 5 trojans or viruses per month :o
Port

Service 

Status  Security Implications

<nil> 

Stealth  There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address!

FTP 

Stealth  There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address!

SSH 

Telnet 

SMTP 

Finger 

HTTP 

Closed  Your computer has responded that this port exists but is currently closed to connections.

POP3 

IDENT 

NNTP 

RPC 

Net

BIOS 

IMAP 

LDAP 

HTTPS 

MSFT

DS 

ms-ils 

DCOM 

Host 

Host 

Host 

Host 

Host 

Host 

H.323 

UPnP 

i suppose i should really turn on zone alarm..

Viruses/trojans may get into your system via email, or when you downloading, or even clicking on some 'staff' while surfing. Firewalls wouldn't necessarily prevent them in such cases. That's the reason for multilayered protection. Each peace of software/hardware protects from specific vulnerabilities.

Zone Alarm, as many other firewalls, have its own pluses and minuses.

I've used it for a while, and am now happy with Sygate. It demands less attention and uses less of system resources. All my ports are 'Stealth" - invisible.

..........And I still get about 5 trojans or viruses per month :D
Do the same ones keep showing up? If so, suggest you do some online "cleaning" using several of the free scans listed in the earlier post, here.
i suppose i should really turn on zone alarm..
Yes.....I think that would be a good move. :o

:D

• 2 weeks later...
....... - proxy is the one chioce that make you safe b'coz it will stealth you real IP and show their IP

sabina - Don't be lulled into believing any proxy or similar product will keep you 100% "safe" from prying (hacking) fingers.

With the best firewall, the best proxy and all the rest, one item which is virtually "unprotectable" is your browser. Each website you visit has the potential to put some type of "malware" on/into your system, either directly through programs you download or simply by your browser displaying pictures on an infected website.

These "malware" have the capability of defeating both your firewall as well as most antivirus software and establishing "backdoor" avenues which report your movements and, in some cases, allow for remote access/manipulation of your whole system.

It is a constant battle to avoid these pitfalls, and unfortunately, it is likely to get worse, before it gets better.

As the Mother said to her daughter, "...when in doubt, cross your legs."

My advice ".......don't keep anything on your internet-surfing computer, you wouldn't want the world to see."

:o

thx for your suggestions. I agree with you there aren't software or proxy that protect your computer 100% from hackers(if thier want to)

Win2K and ME DO come with a webserver all set up: IIS. A number of the Windows patches have been to fix problems associated with this setup. So, unless you are up to date with all the Windows patches and Service packs, you have a serious vulnerability. <a href="http://www.cit.cornell.edu/computer/security/seminars-past/iis-july01/"> Here's more info </a>

how ever Windows have Patch to fix problem but it still some bug.

ex. I use Windows XP SP-2 allow to auto update.

During auto update the Windows can't prevent themself from the outside. Suppose someone use DDOS to attack... what's happened?

To safe yourself should disable auto update(use manual update). I think it's ok

Edited by sabina

Viruses/trojans may get into your system via email, or when you downloading, or even clicking on some 'staff' while surfing. Firewalls wouldn't necessarily prevent them in such cases. That's the reason for multilayered protection. Each peace of software/hardware protects from specific vulnerabilities. 

Zone Alarm, as many other firewalls, have its own pluses and minuses.

I've used it for a while, and am now happy with Sygate. It demands less attention and uses less of system resources. All my ports are 'Stealth" - invisible.

sure if you use Sygate it look like stealth but in network if you let your friends trace/route your computer you will see some port not stealth. Don't but plz try to do it.

Edited by sabina

If your concerned about your firewall, go to: ShieldsIP!

and run the various tests provided.

Also, go to LeakTest

to download and run the firewall tester.

Complete info and explanations on these test and their results, is available at:

http://www.grc.com

Cool, thanks for the great info waldwolf!

I'm using Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.5, AVG 6.0 Free Adition anti-virus, Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.05, Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3.1TX and Spywareblaster 3.2 - update all of them quite frequently, and 'sleep' rather well, while connected to Internet via TRUE hi-speed and Zyxel USB modem.

HI all

Yes newbie and hello to everyone, a firewall if set correctly will help prevent most unwanted info coming in and and going out, there are lots of noraml running programs that act as servers on your home PC, sygate is a really good firewall but I recommend zone alram, it is easier to set up and easy to access, I have built a few systems in my time and for effectiveness and easy of use ( understand and make custom rule) Zone alarm pro and above, AV the new norton 2005 has some extra features for syware etc, and pest patrol for pests, all cheapish, very effective and easy for anyone to adjust, most security program do NOT come with the setting at high or optimal, but need to be set according to pref, for added security on DSL lines use a router with firewall also and SET THEM ALL CORRECTLY, use high anon proxies or services like primedius, and set your normal internet explorer up for persoanl use, the rest is obvious, use what security tools XP has built in (not firewall etc) to secure your PC fully, have a great day.