Securing Your Laptop In Thailand

NightOwl888

I searched and was surprised to find that the only related thread on this forum is as follows: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Laptop-Security-t49550.html. Although someone mentioned there is another thread somewhere else, I couldn't find it.

I am planning on living and working in Thailand for 1 year (provided Thailand doesn't have a civil war or something before I go). I plan to live in an apartment in Jomtien or South Pattaya. I will be bringing a laptop with me and using it to work remotely doing web development for a company in the US. Being that I will require a reletively expensive laptop to do my work, I have been to Thailand before and was not particularly impressed with security, yet have witnessed several people there staying at budget hotels who had their laptops with them, a few questions regarding security come to mind. Obviously, securing your valuables in Thailand or anywhere requires a bit of common sense, but there are several situations in Thailand that seem like they could pose a particular problem. I would especially like to hear from people living in Thailand (in an apartment or condo) who have their laptop computer with them.

Some questions that come to mind:

1. What type of apartment do you live in? Is it better to live in a really cheap place to throw suspicion off of you that you can even afford a computer, or to get a mid range place that has CCTV, controlled access, security guard, etc?
  2. When you leave your apartment, what do you do with your laptop? Does it stay on your desk, do you have it cabled to your desk, do you hide it, do you lock it in a safe, or do you take it with you?
  3. When you travel somewhere (Chaing Mai or perhaps to Koh Chang for the weekend), do you leave your laptop at home or bring it with you?
  4. Do you live in a "serviced apartment" or otherwise have a staff that enters your room? If so, what do you do with your laptop when you are not around but you know the cleaning staff is going to come?
  5. Do you bring Thai into your apartment that you don't know (i.e. bargirls)? If so, what do you do with your laptop then?
  6. When you travel with your laptop, do you stay in budget hotels? If you can lock you hotel room from the outside with your own lock, is it better to leave your laptop in your hotel room (thus not alerting anyone you have it) or to hand it to the hotel staff to put in their lockbox? Or do you just pay for more expensive hotels so as not to worry?
  7. Is it worth it to buy a cable lock for your laptop?

While I plan to make backups and keep my important files on a server here in the US, I would prefer if the laptop didn't disappear while I am there. I know that to some it may sound like I am being paranoid, but losing my laptop basically means losing my income until I can replace it and laptops have a tendency to vanish worldwide if you are not careful.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I know that to some it may sound like I am being paranoid, but losing my laptop basically means losing my income....
So you have answered yourself how important security of the device and the data it hold is.
While I plan to make backups and keep my important files on a server here in the US, I would prefer if the laptop didn't disappear while I am there.
If using the laptop is important you will need to be able to rebuild it (or it's replacement) from repair/boot/OS disks that you maintain. USB storage held with a friend or security box maybe?
Is it worth it to buy a cable lock for your laptop?
Let me think about that for a while.... :o {If you have something solid to secure it to.}

Is the data held on the laptop valuble/important - consider HDD encryption.

There is nothing special about securing your laptop in Thailand that you would not do anywhere else.

Do whatever you are currently doing...if that meets *your* requirements for peace of mind, it will be no different here.

I would submit that if you are thinking that you need to do something extraneous for security of your laptop here, then you are not doing enough there now.

I feel more safe leaving my laptop at my condo in Chiangmai than in my condo in Copenhagen. These things can always get stolen if you are careless or simply unlucky. The real point is how you secure your data and how can you recover it with the least amount of stress.

There is nothing special about securing your laptop in Thailand that you would not do anywhere else.

Do whatever you are currently doing...if that meets *your* requirements for peace of mind, it will be no different here.

I would submit that if you are thinking that you need to do something extraneous for security of your laptop here, then you are not doing enough there now.

Actually, I disagree on all points.

I live in Los Angeles now, and here I feel that the lock on the door is enough to keep my valuables secure. In Thailand, I believe just a lock on the door is simply not enough - there really needs to be some secondary measure to prevent someone from entry - a guard, secured entry into the building, or perhaps just living in an inconspicuous place.

Additionally, I don't have a cleaning staff here which is quite feasible for me to do in Thailand - I am just curious how wise it is to do considering my circumstances.

I don't currently own a laptop and that is how I have prevented this kind of theft up to this point. So I am definitely doing more now than I will be able to do in Thailand.

I feel more safe leaving my laptop at my condo in Chiangmai than in my condo in Copenhagen. These things can always get stolen if you are careless or simply unlucky. The real point is how you secure your data and how can you recover it with the least amount of stress.

While I am undoutedly going to back up the system, the expense of replacing the laptop itself is probably more worrysome than the actual data on it. Coming home one day to find that I have to cough up 80,000 baht for a new laptop is not a very appealing prospect.

I live in Los Angeles now, and here I feel that the lock on the door is enough to keep my valuables secure. In Thailand, I believe just a lock on the door is simply not enough - there really needs to be some secondary measure to prevent someone from entry - a guard, secured entry into the building, or perhaps just living in an inconspicuous place.

Additionally, I don't have a cleaning staff here which is quite feasible for me to do in Thailand - I am just curious how wise it is to do considering my circumstances.

I don't currently own a laptop and that is how I have prevented this kind of theft up to this point. So I am definitely doing more now than I will be able to do in Thailand.

While I am undoutedly going to back up the system, the expense of replacing the laptop itself is probably more worrysome than the actual data on it. Coming home one day to find that I have to cough up 80,000 baht for a new laptop is not a very appealing prospect.

Insurance!?

Chiang Mai is a pretty small city and seemed to be a little safer when it comes to this sort of thing than Jomtien. It might just be my perception though and I could be wrong. To be honest, I would probably move to Chiang Mai if they had a beach!

Insurance!?

Good point. Actually I was thinking about doing another post about renter's insurance, but nearly forgot until you mentioned it. Funny, ThaiVisa has an ad that popped up at the top of this page offering specifically laptop insurance. Hmm....it looks like they don't cover the laptop during transit though....probably the most likely time anything would happen to it.

Do you have any experience with ThaiVisa insurance or another insurance company that you can recommend?

Guest RealEstateBroker
I searched and was surprised to find that the only related thread on this forum is as follows: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Laptop-Security-t49550.html. Although someone mentioned there is another thread somewhere else, I couldn't find it.

I am planning on living and working in Thailand for 1 year (provided Thailand doesn't have a civil war or something before I go). I plan to live in an apartment in Jomtien or South Pattaya. I will be bringing a laptop with me and using it to work remotely doing web development for a company in the US. Being that I will require a reletively expensive laptop to do my work, I have been to Thailand before and was not particularly impressed with security, yet have witnessed several people there staying at budget hotels who had their laptops with them, a few questions regarding security come to mind. Obviously, securing your valuables in Thailand or anywhere requires a bit of common sense, but there are several situations in Thailand that seem like they could pose a particular problem. I would especially like to hear from people living in Thailand (in an apartment or condo) who have their laptop computer with them.

Some questions that come to mind:

1. What type of apartment do you live in? Is it better to live in a really cheap place to throw suspicion off of you that you can even afford a computer, or to get a mid range place that has CCTV, controlled access, security guard, etc?
  2. When you leave your apartment, what do you do with your laptop? Does it stay on your desk, do you have it cabled to your desk, do you hide it, do you lock it in a safe, or do you take it with you?
  3. When you travel somewhere (Chaing Mai or perhaps to Koh Chang for the weekend), do you leave your laptop at home or bring it with you?
  4. Do you live in a "serviced apartment" or otherwise have a staff that enters your room? If so, what do you do with your laptop when you are not around but you know the cleaning staff is going to come?
  5. Do you bring Thai into your apartment that you don't know (i.e. bargirls)? If so, what do you do with your laptop then?
  6. When you travel with your laptop, do you stay in budget hotels? If you can lock you hotel room from the outside with your own lock, is it better to leave your laptop in your hotel room (thus not alerting anyone you have it) or to hand it to the hotel staff to put in their lockbox? Or do you just pay for more expensive hotels so as not to worry?
  7. Is it worth it to buy a cable lock for your laptop?

While I plan to make backups and keep my important files on a server here in the US, I would prefer if the laptop didn't disappear while I am there. I know that to some it may sound like I am being paranoid, but losing my laptop basically means losing my income until I can replace it and laptops have a tendency to vanish worldwide if you are not careful.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I live in Los Angeles now, and here I feel that the lock on the door is enough to keep my valuables secure. In Thailand, I believe just a lock on the door is simply not enough

Simple solution, stay in L.A. where the crime rate is low.

People here try to give you advice, then you say you disagree cos you know best, so why the fawk are you asking in the first place? :o

And to cap it all off you state haven't had a laptop stolen in L.A. cos you don't have one !

Well guess what, nobody has ever stolen my Ferrari either, simple reason is, I don't have one.

Jeeeeeez. :D

I bought a 100kg safe that is large enough to hold my

laptop when I leave for more than a few hours.

It cost 9000 baht and also holds other valuables like

passport, jewelry, important documents, etc.

The 100Kg means that it would take two guys to carry it

out and this is unlikely given our condo security.

I could have gone another step and bolted it to the

floor but did not.

No problems in 4 years now.

Staying in a cheap place to deflect suspicion is

foolish IMO. You do not want a $1000 laptop to

dictate your living standard.

Edited by paulfr

Chiang Mai is a pretty small city and seemed to be a little safer when it comes to this sort of thing than Jomtien. It might just be my perception though and I could be wrong. To be honest, I would probably move to Chiang Mai if they had a beach!

Insurance!?

Good point. Actually I was thinking about doing another post about renter's insurance, but nearly forgot until you mentioned it. Funny, ThaiVisa has an ad that popped up at the top of this page offering specifically laptop insurance. Hmm....it looks like they don't cover the laptop during transit though....probably the most likely time anything would happen to it.

Do you have any experience with ThaiVisa insurance or another insurance company that you can recommend?

I don't usually insure things like notebooks, but some people like the added safety. My platinum MasterCard has pretty good insurance, which already covered one lost notebook, which was stolen in an airport.

Insurance companies cover everything..... until something happens!!

I live in Los Angeles now, and here I feel that the lock on the door is enough to keep my valuables secure. In Thailand, I believe just a lock on the door is simply not enough

Simple solution, stay in L.A. where the crime rate is low.

People here try to give you advice, then you say you disagree cos you know best, so why the fawk are you asking in the first place? :o

And to cap it all off you state haven't had a laptop stolen in L.A. cos you don't have one !

Well guess what, nobody has ever stolen my Ferrari either, simple reason is, I don't have one.

Jeeeeeez. :D

I ask for advice about how to safely move my laptop about when I am in Thailand and all I get is a response that says I am not doing enough now. What kind of advice is this?

The fact of the matter is, I have never needed a laptop here. In Thailand I will need one. Why is this hard to understand?

The last time I was in Thailand I was robbed. The perp got all my electronic goods including 2 cell phones, my digital camera, all of my flash memory, quite a bit of cash, and several other items. I am just trying to find out what practical steps I can take to keep it from happening again (other than using more common sense than I did then).

Also, staying here in LA is not practical advice, as it would derail nearly 2 years of planning and preparation. I already know the crime rate is higher where I am going, I am just seeking practical advice to cope with it.

Edited by NightOwl888

floor but did not.

Thank you for the suggestion. 9000 baht sounds very reasonable for this kind of protection, and I will definitely put "buy a safe" down on my to do list. FYI it will be at least a $2000 laptop.

passport, jewelry, important documents, mobile, etc.

The 100Kg means that it would take two guys to carry it.

Hello Paul..

Exactly what I was going to do, 9000bt is cheap insurance.

Is the safe, key op or digital & where did you purchase it?

TIA

gd

Hello Paul..

Exactly what I was going to do, 9000bt is cheap insurance.

Is the safe, key op or digital & where did you purchase it?

The safe is operated with a push button keypad.

But there is a backup key lock behind the shield in front.

Very unusual key that would be hard to copy.

I bought it on the 4th or 5th floor at MBK.

Cheers

Edited by paulfr

floor but did not.

Thank you for the suggestion. 9000 baht sounds very reasonable for this kind of protection, and I will definitely put "buy a safe" down on my to do list. FYI it will be at least a $2000 laptop.

Problem is with a Big Safe is the people you buy it off, then deliver it to your home, they KNOW you have some valuables that warrant having a safe.

Hence you may well become a target by having a safe.

It's Ok having a 100 Kg safe or a 300Kg safe, but if thieves can't open it or remove it, they may just wait for you to come home, and force YOU to open it, then of course that would leave an eye witness ' YOU '. :o

floor but did not.

Problem is with a Big Safe is the people you buy it off, then deliver it to your home, they KNOW you have some valuables that warrant having a safe.

It's Ok having a 100 Kg safe or a 300Kg safe, but if thieves can't open it or remove it, they may just wait for you to come home, and force YOU to open it, then of course that would leave an eye witness ' YOU '. :D

hi ,

i got 1 of the 2mt plastic coated steel ropes that locks into the back of my laptop before i left the u.k only cost about 10 pounds you can secure it to most places out of the way with a loop thats on 1 end .

but i,ve also got a big nasty dod that helps also ... :o .

martyn.

floor but did not.

It's Ok having a 100 Kg safe or a 300Kg safe, but if thieves can't open it or remove it, they may just wait for you to come home, and force YOU to open it, then of course that would leave an eye witness ' YOU '. :D

I could be wrong about this, but based on everything I have read about and experienced in Thailand the Thai are less likely to commit violent crimes like this than they are to commit crimes that cannot be traced back to them. Whether the exact number is 65 million to one is uncertain, but I personally believe it is quite low.

Thanks for your input though, I will take this into consideration.

hi ,

i got 1 of the 2mt plastic coated steel ropes that locks into the back of my laptop before i left the u.k only cost about 10 pounds you can secure it to most places out of the way with a loop thats on 1 end .

but i,ve also got a big nasty dod that helps also ... :o .

martyn.

Thanks for the tip on the steel rope.

I am uncertain what you mean by "big nasty dod" though....could you elaborate?

Whether you have a $500 LT or a $5000 LT, it doesn't really matter to an opportunist thief,

it's the inconvenience of having it stolen.

Most Thai thieves would prefer gold, jewelry or a phone etc, something to cash in quickly.

Laptops are not very high on the thicky's list, unlike the UK, Aus or the USA

Just use common sense, & don't leave your common sense on the aircraft.

The coated cable is a good idea. Loads of them for sale.

Make sure the LT has a "Kensington" lock port. Google 'kensington locks'.

BTW, Kensington is used genericly (sp) nowadays, just like Hoover is for vacuum cleaners.

More here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=1544704

15493.jpg

I live in an apartment in Bangkok and am rather concerned about laptop security. With a near £1000 computer, common sense is paramount. I generally tend to disconnect it and lock it into another room so that anyone looking for valuables generally has to make a hel_l of a racket not only to break into the flat but to break into another room and cut through a steel cable and that's only if they can get get past the security doors downstairs. These guys are generally opportunists and, as one poster suggested, they're generally after gold or cash.

Did anybody mention this already ?

This system combines a stainless steel cable, motion sensor technology, and a 95dB alarm to create a combination locking alarm system that easily attaches to your notebook or carrying case in any setting.

http://www.targus.com/US/product_details.asp?sku=PA400U

LaoPo

Did anybody mention this already ?

This system combines a stainless steel cable, motion sensor technology, and a 95dB alarm to create a combination locking alarm system that easily attaches to your notebook or carrying case in any setting.

http://www.targus.com/US/product_details.asp?sku=PA400U

LaoPo

No, that hasn't been mentioned yet. A good idea, since I was contemplating whether to get a rather ordinary looking backpack to carry the laptop in or get a breifcase type case, which will make its contents rather obvious. Using this in conjunction with the rather inconspicuous backpack might make sense.

I would like to hear from someone who has actually caught someone with their hand in the cookie jar using a device like this one, or whether this is just a waste of effort.

Thanks GungaDin for the guidance as well.

Edited by NightOwl888

They sell those safes in carrefour in Pattaya. I always put my laptop away in my suitcase and all leads/evidence of a laptop when I go out. I stay in a hotel, so I hide it from the cleaners. The hotel I stay at has 24hr security and cameras. I left the laptop in the room when I went to stay in chiang mai for 10 days and cambo for a week. I bought a holdall to take with me and left the laptop in the laptop bag and in the suitcase that has a combination lock. It was cheaper to pay by the month than leave the hotel and I didnt plan on staying so long in cm.