Sacked !

aussieboi

I have now just found the correct area I hope to post this question, I have just been fired, and here are the details, I have read a the Labor Law site, but not sure if I am covered or not, any extra advise is much appreciated.

I started working for a government school, through an agency, I have a non B visa & work permit, which both expire Sept. 6th, so I know I have to go to a Thai embasy & get a 3 month tourist visa before that date. It has not been cancelled.

The only reason I was given was that a parent complained that I was too strict with their son, and the school didn't want to sack me (so they said) but that parent was a very influential person, and they were very sorry, blah blah blah..

I worked 1 day over the three month trial period, but the contract was signed as a 12 month contract, and there was no mention of a three month trial period. (But I was told it is standard procedure anyway to have this trial period)

I was given one days notice of being fired. :o

I have now just found the correct area I hope to post this question, I have just been fired, and here are the details, I have read a the Labor Law site, but not sure if I am covered or not, any extra advise is much appreciated.

I started working for a government school, through an agency, I have a non B visa & work permit, which both expire Sept. 6th, so I know I have to go to a Thai embasy & get a 3 month tourist visa before that date. It has not been cancelled.

The only reason I was given was that a parent complained that I was too strict with their son, and the school didn't want to sack me (so they said) but that parent was a very influential person, and they were very sorry, blah blah blah..

I worked 1 day over the three month trial period, but the contract was signed as a 12 month contract, and there was no mention of a three month trial period. (But I was told it is standard procedure anyway to have this trial period)

You have worked less than 120 days, so you are not entitled to severance pay.

Re-read your contract for the notice of termination (if specified).

You could contact the labor department, to verify if they have followed the proper procedure to terminate your employement.

That's all you can hope.

No but he should be entitled to one month's notice of termination and the salary for that month (even if the school choose to rlease him earlier). This will be in the contract and should apply as there is no probationary period defined. Severance pay (which most people confuse with pay given for the notice period in cases of instant termination would not be given in this case, as stated above)

but the contract was signed as a 12 month contract, and there was no mention of a three month trial period. (But I was told it is standard procedure anyway to have this trial period)

Looks like the OP was a contracted employee on a fixed short-term contract of two years or less (see my bold above). If that's the case, he'll not be covered by Thai Labour Law. Nonetheless, if it really makes that much difference to the OP, a trip to the Labour Dept. may help. They're generally a good bunch.

"Looks like the OP was a contracted employee on a fixed short-term contract of two years or less (see my bold above). If that's the case, he'll not be covered by Thai Labour Law."

That's only true if the contract was for a project that ended or if the position itself ended. Since it's a teaching job I'd assume that the OP will be replaced by another teacher. That means it does not fall under the section you're referring to.

I have now just found the correct area [&] I hope to post this question. I have just been fired and here are the details:

I started working for a government school through an agency. I have a "non B" visa & work permit, which both expire Sept. 6th, so I know I have to go to a Thai embassy & get a 3 month tourist visa before that date. It has not been cancelled.

The only reason I was given was that a parent complained that I was too strict with their son. and The school didn't want to sack me (so they said) but that parent was a very influential person and they were very sorry, blah blah blah...

I worked 1 day over the three month trial period but the contract was signed as a 12 month contract. and There was no mention of a three month trial period (but I was told it is standard procedure anyway to have this trial period).

I was given one days notice. of being fired. :o

I have read a the Labor Law site but I'm not sure if I am covered or not. Any extra advice is much appreciated.

Are you sure that there are no other possible reasons for your early demise?

C'mon, guys, he may teach math or something less pedantic than advanced grammar. He did not set himself up as a perfect poster. I could pick apart a few of the minor points of el kan's corrections, too. We are not reviewing his demo lesson.

Maybe ThaiVisa should have a new forum for "Preaching in Thailand, picking apart picayune pieces of poo-poo, pedantically, with illiterate alliteration."

In no way was my post intended to be "pedantic" or "picky". I was being quite serious.

Mathematics, Physics or English teacher, there is no excuse for poor English from a person who teaches subjects in English...especially if the teacher is a "native speaker".

Also, knowing a little about Thailand & its ways, it could be quite likely that the Thai employers of the aforementioned person, looked for another reason to dismiss the individual rather than walking into the minefield of "We think that your English is not up to scratch".

As for my posts, I do make mistakes but they are mostly "typos" & very minimal at that.

In no way was my post intended to be "pedantic" or "picky". I was being quite serious.

Mathematics, Physics or English teacher, there is no excuse for poor English from a person who teaches subjects in English...especially if the teacher is a "native speaker".

Also, knowing a little about Thailand & its ways, it could be quite likely that the Thai employers of the aforementioned person, looked for another reason to dismiss the individual rather than walking into the minefield of "We think that your English is not up to scratch".

As for my posts, I do make mistakes but they are mostly "typos" & very minimal at that.

Hi, again, El K. Here in the teacher's forum we're allowed to let our hair down- it's assumed that posters are not concentrating particularly hard or trying to write letter-perfect essays, and at the same time it is not encouraged for other posters to be ad hoc editors. We give the posters the benefit of the doubt and assume that when they are on show for students they perform at their best. There are exceptional cases, as when a poster asks us directly to suggest what we think of his English- or when the pot calls the kettle black- or when a poster erroneously believes his English to be correct- but otherwise it's not encouraged to focus on grammar or spelling errors in others' posts. Occasionally when it seems that a poster's errors are deliberately engineered to be trollish, it can result in disciplinary action.

Very sorry to hear about your situation and also very sorry to see some other posters who, in spite of their self-proclaimed excellence in English grammar, fail to understand a rather simple question.

You are most likely not an employee of an agency. The agency probably found you the job for a fee. You may want to go back to the agency and see if they can find you a different position somewhere else. It also wouldn't hurt to check with the Labour folks.

Please keep us posted since this potentially affects a number of people.

• 2 weeks later...
The OP didn't pass probation but he seems to be seeking sympathy.

Here in this thread we have the usual example of Farang 'teachers' attacking one of their own when he is mistreated by the bosses. Fellows, stick together! Solidarity! Don't be such kiss-asses - we all know Thai employers are generally unfair and arbitrary in their dealings with the detested foreigner, and to expect 'performance' from said foreigner in the conditions said Thai employers provide is totally unreasonable anyway.

C'mon, guys, he may teach math or something less pedantic than advanced grammar. He did not set himself up as a perfect poster. I could pick apart a few of the minor points of el kan's corrections, too. We are not reviewing his demo lesson.

Maybe ThaiVisa should have a new forum for "Preaching in Thailand, picking apart picayune pieces of poo-poo, pedantically, with illiterate alliteration."

Yes!!! Right on!! Great idea! I am sick of these bastards who can't spell, although it does not mean they are not good people. Er, very good in some cases.

Yes!!! Right on!! Great idea! I am sick of these bastards who can not spell, though I realise that does not mean they are not good people. Er, very good in some cases.

What's wrong with being pedantic? What exactly are you trying to say? Cheeky git.

What's wrong with being pedantic? What exactly are you trying to say? Cheeky git.

My apologies for not getting back sooner, and my apologies for not using correct grammar, I did write in a hurry, so hopefully you can forgive me for that.

I will have to go to the Labor Dept. probably in Bangkok, and see what they say about this, I understand that a person should get 1 months notice, not a few hours..

But then this is Thailand, and I will wait till I speak to the appropriate people and see what the outcome is.

Thanks everybody for you info.

I will let you know how I go with this.

Here in this thread we have the usual example of Farang 'teachers' attacking one of their own when he is mistreated by the bosses. Fellows, stick together! Solidarity! Don't be such kiss-asses - we all know Thai employers are generally unfair and arbitrary in their dealings with the detested foreigner, and to expect 'performance' from said foreigner in the conditions said Thai employers provide is totally unreasonable anyway.

He failed probation. Hiring and retaining good foreign teachers is very difficult for schools. Schools do not get rid of good teachers. Now a teacher may feel he/she is a good teacher, but it's the person who pays the salary that will be the judge.

Been here a long time and the only Thais I meet who 'detest foreigners' are the ones who have to interact with foreigners everyday. My conclusion from this is that maybe it's the foreigners and their behaviour that creates this feeling. Of course the majority of foreigners know how to behave, but the few ignorant <deleted> spoil it for everyone else.

I had a bad experience a few years back. Teachers I had hired and supported immediately dropped their gaze to the ground when I walked past and took the opportunity to see what they could get for themselves from my situation. Most foreign teachers take care of number 1, it's their nature

Edited by Loaded

...Most foreign teachers take care of number 1, it's their nature

Well they damned well better, because no one else will. In all seriousness being employed for a thousand dollars a month, subject to the insecurity of possible dismissal at any time, is not an arrangement that inspires anyone to enthusiastic participation.

We all, alas, know the miseries of toil and the frustrations of being trapped in a hierarchy. These things cannot be changed, and are merely the fortune of birth in a capitalist socety. But why kick your fellow worker when he's down?

He failed probation. Hiring and retaining good foreign teachers is very difficult for schools. Schools do not get rid of good teachers. Now a teacher may feel he/she is a good teacher, but it's the person who pays the salary that will be the judge.

Been here a long time and the only Thais I meet who 'detest foreigners' are the ones who have to interact with foreigners everyday. My conclusion from this is that maybe it's the foreigners and their behaviour that creates this feeling. Of course the majority of foreigners know how to behave, but the few ignorant <deleted> spoil it for everyone else.

I had a bad experience a few years back. Teachers I had hired and supported immediately dropped their gaze to the ground when I walked past and took the opportunity to see what they could get for themselves from my situation. Most foreign teachers take care of number 1, it's their nature

This is interesting to me. I was not aware of this discussion board.

I used to teach in Udon for three years, and only left because I wanted to be in a new area, and somewhat closer to a beach, maybe that was a mistake. The school in Udon even offered me more money to stay, perhaps I should have accepted it. I was also not aware of this 'probation period'. It was never mentioned when I started to work in Udon, nor here in Korat, and no mention of it in my contract. Although, in Udon, the students gave assessments of the foreign teachers, usually after two months each year.

I am not in any way looking for sympathy, only wondering if I have any sort of recourse in this situation. I think when I get down to Bangkok's Labor Dept. I will have my answer.

Probation periods are common in written contracts (for new teachers, of course) - I had one in my first contract. And if they fire you within a day or two after the probation period ended, that may be legal. Good luck. I do not think Loaded was being overly critical. If the legal reason for termination is the probation period then that is the time they can fire you without clear cause.