Joint Bank Account With Thai Wife.

I am a U.S. citezen who owns a condo in Jomtien and property in Nahkon Nayok. In trying to set up a bank account at Bankok Bank in order to receive monthly rental payments and to make payment for condo fees etc. I was told I could not be put on as a joint owner of my wife's account. I did not have time to jump through all the hoops of getting my own account downtown on this trip. My question is: Has anyone had a similar experience of trying to be added to their Thai wife's account? Also, what is the best way to make use of my rental receipts from the condo. In other words how do I get them transferred to the states the easiest and cheapest way without incurring any excess fees? Next trip I want to get internet banking where I can make transfers and payments via the internet.

I am a U.S. citezen who owns a condo in Jomtien and property in Nahkon Nayok. In trying to set up a bank account at Bankok Bank in order to receive monthly rental payments and to make payment for condo fees etc. I was told I could not be put on as a joint owner of my wife's account. I did not have time to jump through all the hoops of getting my own account downtown on this trip. My question is: Has anyone had a similar experience of trying to be added to their Thai wife's account? Also, what is the best way to make use of my rental receipts from the condo. In other words how do I get them transferred to the states the easiest and cheapest way without incurring any excess fees? Next trip I want to get internet banking where I can make transfers and payments via the internet.

Strange, my wife & I've had a couple of joint accounts, both with Siam Commercial Bank.

Mac

My Thai wife and I opened a joint account at Siam bank. We presented our marriage papers in order to open the account. Siam bank has internet banking and has proven quite acceptable. I have salary deposits transferred from the states without any problems for the last 2 years.

One caveat to this : We were told that we were lucky to be able to get this account as there have been some restrictions imposed recently. Not sure of the details so be aware of a possible hurdle or two.

One other note.... This account is a Savings account ....not sure why it was opened that way however setting up automatic payments on the website works just fine. The branch we went to is Sukumvit Nana Square so you know they are at least familiar with the procedure. Exchange rates, especially for the US $ are much better than any other bank in Thailand per my limited investigations.

Good Luck

I have 2 savings account that are joint with my wife (unregistered) and have internet banking on them. Siam Commercial Bank.

She has an account at BKK bank and we asked if we could open a joint account there and have internet banking, the answer was yes but we decided to wait til later.

Walk into the nearest Kasikorn Bank with your passport and chances are you'll walk out again 15 minutes later with a bank account, passbook and ATM card.

I have 2 savings account that are joint with my wife (unregistered) and have internet banking on them. Siam Commercial Bank.

She has an account at BKK bank and we asked if we could open a joint account there and have internet banking, the answer was yes but we decided to wait til later.

Thank you for the reply and information. Just for my own clarification, You are not a permanent resident and she is Thai?

Thank you for the reply and information. Just for my own clarification, You are not a permanent resident and she is Thai?

I am here on a long stay retirement extension. I just renewed for the 3rd year last week. Not in PR status.

She is Thai and has never been out of the country.

We have 3 joint accounts with Bangkok Bank. First one was opened 7 years ago when I was on visa exempt. Last two were opened withing the last 4 years at the Main Office at Bangkok Bank. No problem, but I had to have a work permit to get the internet banking. I believe some other banks do not have this requirment for internet banking.

I would bet that you will have to pay income tax on the rental income before they let you transfer it out of the country.

TH

Edited by thaihome