State Of Emergency Announced In Bangkok

george

First night of emergency state passes with no violent incident for PAD

The People's Alliance for Democracy continued its demonstration in the Government House throughout the night without any violent incident.

But rumours spread throughout the night that either pro-government protesters or security officials would raid the Government House to evict PAD demonstrators.

When the morning came, the tension apparently eased and many protesters left the rally site while many others had breakfast provided by the PAD.

Source: The Nation - 03 September 2008

It's positive note that there was no repeat of this....

102-1.jpg

110.jpg

398.jpg

101.jpg

In the Bangkok Post today there were a number of similar photographs including some of those shown above.The key difference was that the Bangkok Post showed thugs and victims from both sides.The poster has simply omitted images which don't fit in with his preconceptions.

One very big difference is these red guys came here looking to attack PAD people

and went marching off to do it the night before, with a PPP MP in attendance.

PAD people have gone to 'sites' to protest at them,

not gone off looking for red guys to bash up.

and that is a BIG difference.

I think the PPP MP getting caught up in it night before last night was a MAJOR screw up.

Clearly showing the alliance of violent perpetrators and PPP coffers.

While PAD hasn't been angels, and HAVE gone and disrupted instalations,

and caused minor property damage like broken windows, and some lost revenues,

they have not actively sought to give people beatings.

A HUGE difference.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Morning flights to and from Hat Yai cancelled

The Hat Yai International Airport announced al morning flights Wednesday as supporters of the People's Alliance for Democracy continued to block the entrance to the airport.

Thai Airways International's Hat Yai - Bangkok flight at 8:15 am, Thai AirAsia's flight at 9:45 am and Nok Air's 11:15 am flight were cancelled.

The PAD supporters said they would continued to block the airport's entrance for another day until midnight.

Source: The Nation - 03 September 2008

University Presidents call on PM to dissolve House of Representatives

BANGKOK, Sept 3 (TNA) – Presidents of 26 state universities in Thailand have called on Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej to dissolve the House of Representatives and lift the imposition of the State of Emergency Decree immediately to end the rising violence in the Thai society.

Associate Professor Dr. Monthol Sanguansri, chairman of a meeting of the presidents of 26 state universities, said in a statement that the university heads had a suggested in common that the prime minister should sacrifice his own priorities by dissolving the House immediately to shun possible violence and bloodshed.

The premier should allow the people to decide about the ongoing political conflict under the democratic system.

The university presidents said they believed that the House dissolution would be the best, and most democratic, path to solve the immediate problem because no parties would any longer have the legitimacy to use violence in any manner.

In addition, the presidents believe that the premier and his cabinet should lift the decree immediately because it is impacting both domestic and international confidence in the economy and tarnished the country's image.

"The suggestions are made with a sincere and true wish of the meeting of the country's top academics for the (well-being of) Thai society," she said.

Edited by sriracha john

Who is evil? Probably quite a lot in Thai politics and that which surrounds it tbh;). That is the underlying problem or at least one of them

With respect I don't think the "all parties are equally guilty/evil" comparitive morality line really works here.Granted there are major issues with the feudal/military establishment as well as the Thaksin inheritance.Probably I concede more appropriate to talk about flawed and selfish visions rather than wickedness.Both approaches will be consigned to history through time,gravity,exile whatever

There is a specific and current issue with Sondhi that has to be addressed.When Hitler wrote "Mein Kampf" he was actually setting out a clear blueprint for his diabolic vision.Few took him seriously and they were wrong not to do so.Sondhi has also made his aims very clear and they are dangerous, self serving and reactionary.It's simply not good enough for those viscerally sympathetic to PAD to go along with this unpleasant maniac's plans.The decent PAD people have done this and only yesterday a Thai friend and PAD sympathiser told me the more educated and upper middle class PAD suporters were drifting away.The current mob is largely lower middle class much like the social composition of Nazi members in the 1930's.

Those poignant photo's were relevant yesterday. Yes we are all glad that last night was peaceful but I cant see the point of posting those images again today.

I disagree, I do see the point. If one's aim is to encourage chaos and instability and trigger a coup and hurt Thailand in every way possible, then you WANT to incite people and keep hate in people's minds instead of joining together as a country. This is PAD's strategy from day one, and why some foreigners advocate same is less clear but perhaps they like the way the baht / Thai economy is going because of this.

National Police distribute notices for arrest warrants of PAD leaders Following the issuance of arrest warrants for the 9 leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy on several major charges by the Criminal Court, the criminal records division of the National Police have produced notices of the warrants. The notices have been distributed to police databases across the nation, similar to warrants issued for former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra for his Ratchada land purchase case.

I'm eagerly awaiting big posters saying "WANTED" with Sondthi's face on it. If people in the government camp had any sense of public relations there's so much more they could do.

Failing that, I'm eagerly awaiting Tony sitting down in front of Photoshop and coming up with something.

Did anyone see the Samak and Sonthi interviews by Jonathan Head on BBC World this morning?

Samak was extremely odd to say the least considering it was for an internatioanl audience and Sonthi very calm.

Samak interview in which he threatens CNN's Dan Rivers when he's confronted with a lie...

"You don't use this word to me, eh? Don't use this word to me again. This is an insult to me", said in a threatening and menacing tone while pointing his finger at the interviewer...

Thai PM speaks about clashes

CNN's Dan Rivers talks with Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej about political tensions and unrest.

Interview Video Link:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/world...ref=videosearch

Did we watch the same video? Samak pointed his finger at Rivers after Rivers said some people consider him a puppet of Thaksin. It was not while he was confronted with a lie. At least that is what I saw on the video on my screen.

With another Thaksin clone at the top of the heap, what will PAD have accomplished?

See my other post above. My guess is that they would like a less well connected and influential clone. The present situation hasn't played along the lines they were anticipating and it is stalemate.

You have to understand how much Panthamit(PAD) have accomplished already. They overthrew- through their use of miliatry supporters- an elected government. They had the constitution changed to support their aims. They established the Asset Examination committee,they can have whole parties dissolved . AND still, despite all this, they lost the last election. It was just not fair.

Then you had the evil other side (PPP and voters from Issan) questioning the legitimacy of the Asset Examination Committee just because the members were appointed by the leaders of the coup which ousted Thaksin. Again this is unfair as the AEC members like Kaewsan Atibodhi have stated publicy that they have no bias against Thaksin, even when it is known they spoke on the PAD stage during the anti-Thaksin rallies...

PAD made the case for getting Thaksin out,

what really caused his over throw was the Temasek deal and the refusal to pay taxes on it

and selling Thai national assets to Singapore. This were the final straws, not PAD's desires.

The military installed government posnosered a constitution re-write commitee not PAD.

PAD commented negatively on several clauses. But the PEOPLE voted in the constitution

NOT PAD creating and installing it without a vote.

The Assets examinating committee was a fact finding body created by post Thakisn government,

It's sol function was to gather evidense and submit it to the attorny genral or NCCC.

Which it did and then retired from the field.

PAD did not create AEC nor the NCCC

and the courts have back BOTH of them as legitimate since then,

under challenge from PPP or Thaksin lawyers.

PAD can NOT have parties dissolved, they have no such power at all.

They can keep brining the mis-deeds of those in power to the publics attention.

This has long been their function.

If EC members have spoken on PAD stages, that doesn't mean they are PAD by definition.

Only that they were asked to speak and explain what they are doing.

Just because someone does an interview saying they have PAD influence doesn't mean they

actually DO have influence, talk is cheap.

It equaly can mean they are jumping on the bandwagon for their own reasons, or pretending to.

PAD didn't lose the last election because they didn't run in the last election.

They did lobby where they could for their side, but were blocked by violence,

such as the red guys above, in the north from speaking.

.Dissinformation stinks.

Edited by animatic

Police forces surrounding PAD rallies

BangkokPost.com) - About four companies of police forces were seen maintaining security around the anti-government rallies led by the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) on Wednesday morning.

The police forces were dispatched to areas in front of Rajadamnern Boxing Stadium, the Ministry of Tourism and Sports on Ratchadamnoen Nok road, Chamai Maruchet bridge and the intersection of Pracha Kasem and Nakhon Ratchasima roads. They were stationed at the entrance and exit points of the PAD’s rallies.

The police said they were ordered by their superiors to provide security for the demonstrators.

No violent activities were reported since the government’s invocation of the state of emergency on Tuesday morning

Samak interview in which he threatens CNN's Dan Rivers when he's confronted with a lie...

"You don't use this word to me, eh? Don't use this word to me again. This is an insult to me", said in a threatening and menacing tone while pointing his finger at the interviewer...

CNN's Dan Rivers talks with Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej about political tensions and unrest.

Interview Video Link:

Did we watch the same video? Samak pointed his finger at Rivers after Rivers said some people consider him a puppet of Thaksin. It was not while he was confronted with a lie. At least that is what I saw on the video on my screen.

Perhaps you forgot the part where Rivers reminded Samak that in their last interview, Samak claimed that there was nothing wrong with being Mr. Big's puppet.

Maybe the SOE was in fact a good political move in order to show how the military have their hands tied and how ineffective the law is in regard to PAD. Maybe that was the whole idea of it.

So the entrenchment goes on.

Yes this time no slaughter of peaceful demonstrators....To bad.....the last two times 1976 and 1992 was big fun for some people.

Mr Sondhi said the government must promise not to amend the charter in its favour; to observe the Constitution Court's order regarding Preah Vihear temple; to suspend all mega-projects; and to commit to political reforms and increased public participation in politics.

Mr Sondhi said the four-point demand was strictly his own proposal, not the PAD's. He had yet to put the matter to other core members.

"They must accept the four-point demand _ and only if the prime minister is either Somchai Wongsawat or Surapong Suebwonglee," said Mr Sondhi.

I really don't understand this demand of Sondhi's. Is it just a continued flakiness in PAD leadership?

Is he now beginning to distance himself from the others?

Feel free to offer thoughts on this one but my feeling is that Samak has too many good connections in the right places to be much of a pushover and this has created a stalemate.

Why on earth would you demand that Samak step down and replaced with Somchai or Surapong? One is Thaksin's brother in law and the other is inexperienced and has on many occasions said he has no problems referring to Thaksin or taking advice from him. My feeling is that Samak has not turned out to be the Thaksin stooge that was hoped for and it is frustrating some people greatly.

Maybe the PAD have already started producing the signs - "Somchai ok pai", "Surapong ok pai"

These two people don't have the back up of Samak and it is easier to put them on a pro Thaksin platform.

Surely Sondhi can't think people are that stupid though! Maybe someone whacked him over the head with one of those golfclubs.

Bear in mind that with Gen. Anupong talking negotiations and threatening to talk to NBT as well as ASTV for inflammatory speeches the SoE has not gone as Samak intended. To the PPP faithful MPs Samak gave one thign - a connection to the military and bureaucracy that implied they would stick with him. Samak has announced the SoE and also announced it would be used to clear government house. Now the military havent agreed to that (or at least not just yet), and they have also dragged NBT which hosts government MPs making speeches into this. Samak's use to the party faithful is now limited. Throw into the equation Sonthis remarks. A little encouragement to a couple of ambitious men maybe, but more to the point previously PPP felt only Samak could be PM as he had the connections and anybody else would make things worse. Now Sonthi the biggest PPP hater says otherwise!

Add in that Samak is no doubt under extreme pressure to go, which he wont want to do as he is a very very arrogant and egomaniacal man (witness the BBC interview today), and you see the games turn to trying to force Samak out to allow negotiations. It may not be democracy but it may allow some movement. Well actually it could be democracy if it happens through resignation, court action, party removal, parliamentary removal.....etc

It is divide and conquer drive a wedge between the competing egos within PPP.

A factionalize PPP is easier to deal with.

Just my humble take on all this:

-If you're looking in from afar, it perhaps needs to be stated again, despite the needlessly tragic death of a protester (and it matters not whether the deceased was pro or anti-Govt) things remain 'normal' in Bangkok. Even around the minutely small geographical centre of the so-called 'state of emergency', at Govt House, the scene has returned to calm and peaceful protest.

It should also be stated, IF the Pro-Govt DAAD had NOT confronted the Anti-Govt PAD, likely NO violence would have occured and certainly no injuries or the tragic death.

It remains a great mystery how the DAAD were able to 'walk through' the police line to attack the PAD, even though previous reports stated police were monitoring the DAAD 'closely' and even reportedly infiltrated them for better surveillance.

One wonders if the lightning-fast transfer of the former police chief whom favoured a softly/slowly approach (replaced in the past 48 hours for a more 'motivated' candidate apparently) had any play in this.

The circumstance of the DAAD confrontation is highly suspicious given there were reportedly a number of PPP MP's in attendance at the DAAD rally prior to their march to confront the PAD (the brother of PPP deputy transport minister being a leader). This is chillingly reminiscent of the pro-Govt thug attack in Udon Thani recently.

Finally, it's also 'somewhat' suspicious, the DAAD upon return to their base, are reportedly thanked, fed and bussed out by their 'leaders'.

The end result was a tragedy which 'created' a situation which 'legitimatised' (?) calling for an 'Emergency decree', thus complete 'sweeping' power. All this on the same day the PPP were recommended disbanded for vote-fraud by the Election Commission...

So-called 'civil' disobedience acts like Airport closures are completely out of order, the PAD's 'appointed Govt' concept is flawed in the extreme and 'desperate' acts by any side are deplorable. However, yesterday's violent confrontation goes beyond reprehensible, and appears 'perhaps' pre-meditated (with self-serving purpose?)

The result of what some might call 'manufactured violence' and calling for an 'emergency decree' may now cost Thailand much, much, more in real losses than all acts before it. To us here in Thailand, life goes on 'as normal'. Meanwhile, on CNN, BBC, FOX, Al Jazeera and all others, Thailand & STATE OF EMERGENCY are being bleated out all over the world, with dire consequences to come.

To conclude, despite the tragic headlines and REAL losses, one remains optimistic Thailand WILL see better days ahead, following the fall-out from current events, which are certain to come.

(the brick-throwing may now re-commence...) :o

Maybe the SOE was in fact a good political move in order to show how the military have their hands tied and how ineffective the law is in regard to PAD. Maybe that was the whole idea of it.

Yes this time no slaughter of peaceful demonstrators....To bad.....the last two times 1976 and 1992 was big fun for some people.

It is my belief it was a pre known fact that there would be no mass slaughter. Circumstances are very different from 1976 and 1992.

In my mind the question still remains why are PAD occupying government house?

Court wouldn't enforce eviction and neither would police or army.

Samak to CNN: Don't you ask me that question again...it's an insult

Dan Rivers interviewed PM Samak Sundaravej the other day. When he was asked: "Is Thaksin still pulling the strings?" Samak got miffed. "Don't use those words again with me. It's an insult."

http://blog.nationmultimedia.com/ThaiTalk/2008/09/03/entry-1

So a resounding "yes" then.

Police forces surrounding PAD rallies

BangkokPost.com) - About four companies of police forces were seen maintaining security around the anti-government rallies led by the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) on Wednesday morning.

The police forces were dispatched to areas in front of Rajadamnern Boxing Stadium, the Ministry of Tourism and Sports on Ratchadamnoen Nok road, Chamai Maruchet bridge and the intersection of Pracha Kasem and Nakhon Ratchasima roads. They were stationed at the entrance and exit points of the PAD’s rallies.

The police said they were ordered by their superiors to provide security for the demonstrators.

No violent activities were reported since the government’s invocation of the state of emergency on Tuesday morning

Cooler heads prevailing so far. Good news.

It is my belief it was a pre known fact that there would be no mass slaughter. Circumstances are very different from 1976 and 1992.

to oust the government, maybe?

Dan Rivers interviewed PM Samak Sundaravej the other day. When he was asked: "Is Thaksin still pulling the strings?" Samak got miffed. "Don't use those words again with me. It's an insult."

x

Edited by huski
inappropriate comment removed

I agree but there are many that just can't get that into their heads.

If one small drop of blood is shed is called brutality.

Edited by ubonjoe

BBC World also had a guy from Amnesty International on today who was worried over loss of media freedom and freedom of expression after the announcement of SoE.

As exemplified by the menancing Samak towards a member of the international media ... it's a very real worry they have...

So a resounding "yes" then.

Why are they allowed to be there, don't you think anyone else would have been turfed out by now?

How ever allegedly corrupt a former leader was. ??????

How somebody with a little bit of brain can be of the side of a bankrupt billionair :D which runs 24/7 propaganda on his ASTV :D . NO one opinion how to solve anything only NAZI style shouting and blackmailing. :D

Peaceful protesting my goodness. :D Clearly he an his companions want to get rid (they say so openly :o )of a whatever good or bad functioning democracy for the good of a 'elite" dictatorship :( .

But if you want to be on that side of the fence, good luck. But once they reach their goals they might stop paying the daily wage for protesting. :burp:

By the way: never liked Samak (thought bit old for that business :P ) but any time, better then that PAD leaders :D

Sad times.

Just ask yourself if this were your own country and the goverment which was in power was saturated with corruption and was'nt prepared to bring an ex leader to justice even though he had ripped off millions of tax payers money. Which side of the fence would you be on?

Why are they allowed to be there, don't you think anyone else would have been turfed out by now?

Well across the country, courts, police, army, universities almost everyone with brain, even if they don't like PAD, see clearly what an stupid bunch of criminals the government is. As the PAD is peaceful and don't want to go, no one want to beat peaceful demonstrators and support criminals.

So they stay there and don't do any harm.

Did anyone see the Samak and Sonthi interviews by Jonathan Head on BBC World this morning?

Samak was extremely odd to say the least considering it was for an internatioanl audience and Sonthi very calm.

Interview Video Link:

yeah, but why let facts get in the way of a good anecdote...i'm sure samak won't mind..... :o

Edited by Payboy

Bangkok Post's Comments

(by Pattnapong Chantranontwong, Editor - Bangkok Post)

We strongly disagree with Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej's decision to declare a state of emergency as a means of ending the street demonstrations by the People's Alliance for Democracy. It is only another vain attempt to survive the political crisis he is facing. Army commander-in-chief Gen Anupong Paojinda, who heads the special emergency committee tasked with returning the situation to normal, deserves credit for stating clearly that the army would step in only to prevent any further clashes between the two pressure groups _ the PAD and the United Front of Democracy against Dictatorship. The general also noted that the continuing crisis is a political issue and as such it should be solved by political processes, not by force. The prime demand of the PAD is that Mr Samak step down; Mr Samak demands the PAD ends its protest. Mr Samak repeatedly proclaims the legitimacy of his government _ because it was elected.

It is true that his People Power party won the most seats in the general election last December. But winning the election does not mean his government has a mandate to break the law or contravene the constitution. Even disregarding the Election Commission's unanimous decision Tuesday to recommend the dissolution of his party for election fraud, Mr Samak's cabinet has made several decisions considered to be in breach of the constitution. Even the qualifications of some of his cabinet members are doubtful. The Constitution Court ruled that the cabinet's decision to issue a joint communique with Phnom Penh on the Preah Vihear issue was a breach of the charter. The recent appointments of some people, allegedly involved in certain controversial cases, to the boards of Bank of Thailand and the Securities Exchange of Thailand are questionable. As are the PPP's efforts to amend the constitution in favour of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, and to enable the party to avoid the dissolution.

These moves are, in fact, not acceptable to the public. Although his government survived a recent censure debate in parliament, it does not mean his government had done nothing wrong. It survived because his coalition has a large majority in the House of Representatives. Even though we also disagree with the PAD holding the country and the people to ransom _ by blocking the traffic, seizing Government House, forcing the closure of three southern airports, stopping trains and planning strikes to disrupt public utilities and bus services _ we agree that the PAD has every right to protest against the government.

However, if neither side agrees to a compromise then the crisis will be never-ending. Mr Samak must admit that he has committed many mistakes during his seven months in the office, and they are enough for him to call it quits. At the same time, the PAD must accept the principle of democracy. If Mr Samak steps down, his party still leads a coalition which controls the House and can legitimately form a new cabinet. The other option is that Mr Samak dissolves the House and calls another general election. Again, the PAD must accept the outcome of the election, no matter how it turns out, and let the party which wins form a new government. These options embody the democratic principle. We strongly disagree with any undemocratic options _ neither a coup nor the appointment of a non-elected government.

Worth still of a bump up.

I think the anwer is in my preivious reply.

I agree but there are many that just can't get that into their heads.

If one small drop of blood is shed it is called brutality.

Thats why nobody will do anything.

Also if you or anybody else was crazy enough to walk into the middle of a PAD rally and started screaming pro goverment statments. How much of your blood do you think would be shed.

Edited by ubonjoe

Those poignant photo's were relevant yesterday. Yes we are all glad that last night was peaceful but I cant see the point of posting those images again today.

I disagree, I do see the point. If one's aim is to encourage chaos and instability and trigger a coup and hurt Thailand in every way possible, then you WANT to incite people and keep hate in people's minds instead of joining together as a country. This is PAD's strategy from day one, and why some foreigners advocate same is less clear but perhaps they like the way the baht / Thai economy is going because of this.

As I have mentioned a few days ago already on another thread, I see the PAD protest as "Ghanda style". Peaceful civil disobedience.

They have been great at keeping it fairly peaceful (aside from defending themselves a couple of times from attackers) and I think everything is going according to their plan (which does not include violence, even so some people wrongly accuse them of this as a motive)

The are escalating peaceful action with the support of the Unions, increasing pressure on the current, corrupt government, until the government will fall.

This is not something that will fade out, as someone else posted. The protests are growing, the Unions are stepping up action and soon trade and tourism will be paralyzed, until this stubborn, corrupt government resigns.

To think that this will all go away, is only wishful thinking by some of you. The people have risen. (I apologize for my spelling at times, English is not my first language)

I was just sitting here with a foreigner friend living in Thailand and we both feel that regardless of what happens now, this peaceful protest will serve as a model for people around the world. It shows that the people do have the power. All they have to do is unite.