State Of Emergency Announced In Bangkok

george

I really thing Dr. T. picked him specifically for his

well documented Bull headedness, documented propensity for violence,

documented intolerace, and documented dislke by the other side.

ALL in the hopes of getting a total blow up of the situation.

Then he can swoop into the chaos and save the day.

Or at least save his cash when no one's looking too hard.

I don't think so, at least not on the beginning. For me it seemed that PPP thought they won't win and wanted such a bull to damage the Democrats day and night.

After the won there was a bit of a fighting who get premier which Samak won. Than it was meant that he change the constitution and resign after 6 month. He first wanted to do it only after 3.5 years, but than the "dissolve PPP" action came.

So I doubt there is a big smart masterplan....I can't imagine that a guy like Samak could get any job in a private owned company. (Well maybe in stock, counting screws, alone)

Your expert analysis on the Thai politics amazes me.....You should forget Samak before you get a heart attack. Why dont you tell us about your solutions for Thailand. Samak is 76 years old so why would he look for another job. I think retirement would suit him fine but he wants to fight for democracy and having every vote equal so good on him... Its so easy to critize the government but it just shows that you and your PAD mob comrades have no ideas or visions for Thailand except (new politics) or a form of dictatorship. You should google the PAD leaders names and see how much curruption, and hatred is in their dirty pasts.

hmm, I see indeed, the PAD seems to be the educated middle class in compare to you DAAD guys....At least they can calculate the age of the premier right.

He is born 1935 and now we have 2008. So on your next DAAD meeting take 2008 bottles lao kao, than drink 1935 bottles with your fellow DAAD friends and count the rest. Hint: it won't be 76

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its so easy to critize the government but it just shows that you and your PAD mob comrades have no ideas or visions for Thailand except (new politics) or a form of dictatorship.

"New poiltics" proposal is a starting point for a wider discussion about ways to solve obvious problems with Thai political system. Even on this board there are plenty of alternative ideas, I'm sure when it comes to public input, there will be even more out there.

Unforunately everyone is preoccupied with that stubborn Samak who'd defend his "democracy" until the courts put him in jail for one thing or another.

However, Deputy Education Minister Boonlue Prasertsopha ordered the Commission on Higher Education to circulate a letter to to all universities nationwide, warning the students that making political movements may not be legal and their future could be in jeopardy....Mr Boonlue said he would like the students to understand that the emergency decree is still effective in Bangkok, and unforeseen events may occur even though they have the right to take part in political movements.

The above is in regard to the Young Pad movement. With such a contradictory statement from an Education Minister, it's no wonder the educational system is in such shambles. Why don't they just come out with what they really want..."Be good little followers and do as we tell you. Don't speak your mind and screw independent thought."

Let's see, it may not be legal to protest, but you have the right to protest.

source: http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=130456

However, Deputy Education Minister Boonlue Prasertsopha ordered the Commission on Higher Education to circulate a letter to to all universities nationwide, warning the students that making political movements may not be legal and their future could be in jeopardy....Mr Boonlue said he would like the students to understand that the emergency decree is still effective in Bangkok, and unforeseen events may occur even though they have the right to take part in political movements.

The above is in regard to the Young Pad movement. With such a contradictory statement from an Education Minister, it's no wonder the educational system is in such shambles. Why don't they just come out with what they really want..."Be good little followers and do as we tell you. Don't speak your mind and screw independent thought."

If I understand right: The Emergency Degree is in Bangkok only. While he sent the letter nationwide :o

It is a daft, contradictory statement yes.

Although have the courts not recently questioned the legitimacy of the SoE? Perhaps these students could start protesting against their right to protest being removed.

What I would like to know to know is where the hel_l are Samak and Anunpong(Sp)? They seem to have gone very quiet over the last day or 2.

As I see it there are only republics with a president, parliamentary systems with constitutional monarchs and a prime minister , dictatorships, both communist and fascist, absolute monarchies (not many left) and maybe a few tribalism governments in power today.

so Thailand wants to invent a hybrid good luck,

a democratric dictatorship!

I really thing Dr. T. picked him specifically for his

well documented Bull headedness, documented propensity for violence,

documented intolerace, and documented dislke by the other side.

ALL in the hopes of getting a total blow up of the situation.

Then he can swoop into the chaos and save the day.

Or at least save his cash when no one's looking too hard.

I don't think so, at least not on the beginning. For me it seemed that PPP thought they won't win and wanted such a bull to damage the Democrats day and night.

After the won there was a bit of a fighting who get premier which Samak won. Than it was meant that he change the constitution and resign after 6 month. He first wanted to do it only after 3.5 years, but than the "dissolve PPP" action came.

So I doubt there is a big smart masterplan....I can't imagine that a guy like Samak could get any job in a private owned company. (Well maybe in stock, counting screws, alone)

Your expert analysis on the Thai politics amazes me.....You should forget Samak before you get a heart attack. Why dont you tell us about your solutions for Thailand. Samak is 76 years old so why would he look for another job. I think retirement would suit him fine but he wants to fight for democracy and having every vote equal so good on him... Its so easy to critize the government but it just shows that you and your PAD mob comrades have no ideas or visions for Thailand except (new politics) or a form of dictatorship. You should google the PAD leaders names and see how much curruption, and hatred is in their dirty pasts.

hmm, I see indeed, the PAD seems to be the educated middle class in compare to you DAAD guys....At least they can calculate the age of the premier right.

He is born 1935 and now we have 2008. So on your next DAAD meeting take 2008 bottles lao kao, than drink 1935 bottles with your fellow DAAD friends and count the rest. Hint: it won't be 76

LOL ROFL you tell 'em H90 ;-)

and b4 you moderate it think taksin come back riemer

Very scary thought indeed

as president

I think Thaksin would want to be adressed as "Mein Fuehrer", not President. After all, he will have paid enough for his comeback ;-)

as president

I think Thaksin would want to be adressed as "Mein Fuehrer", not President. After all, he will have paid enough for his comeback ;-)

more like his excellency prince of darkness and ruler of the universe

as president

With Samak as his Jester?

as president

but on a more serious note i am like you i think so happy nothing happened tonight with the student protest

as president

but on a more serious note i am like you i think so happy nothing happened tonight with the student protest

Yes, that's for sure, I am very happy that the Students stayed safe. No news is good news....of course Samak resigning will be better news ;-) Shouldn't be long now. I don't think he seriously thinks that he can hide behind his referendum scam?

And as a good night from Phuket here’s something to lighten your spirits.

Gary glitter has just been reported to have bought 1000 bottles of Jonny Walkers black

Because he was told

It’s a cheeky little 12 year old that goes down well/

Good night and sleep easy

ok it is well of topic but its late and people need a laugh so dont be cruel mien hier

And as a good night from Phuket here’s something to lighten your spirits.

Gary glitter has just been reported to have bought 1000 bottles of Jonny Walkers black

Because he was told

It’s a cheeky little 12 year old that goes down well/

Good night and sleep easy

ok it is well of topic but its late and people need a laugh so dont be cruel mien hier

Good night Paul, I'm about to sign off, too, good night everyone

as president

With Samak as his Jester?

Played by Charles Laughton in the movie?

Just glad to see Thai Visa is still here, it disapeared last night.

Democrat blames PPP minister for clashes

A Democrat Party member said yesterday that a minister and People Power Party (PPP) MP was behind the recent clashes between pro- and anti-government demonstrators.

Chonburi MP Sorawuth Noengjamnong said that he and fellow party members had asked House Speaker Chai Chidchob to name this minister, who he said had made phone calls to assemble a crowd at Bangkok's Sanam Luang.

The minister, who he said was from Buriram, had apparently asked three other MPs to each mobilise at least 2,000 villagers to join the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship (DAAD) protest.

A per-capita payment was offered for a protest to last 15 days from last Tuesday, with two men, identified only as "Joe" and "Oun", as coordinators, Sorawuth said. However, payment was withheld as only 1,600 people showed up, he added.

Declining to reveal the "confidential" details, Sorawuth insisted Army intelligence had the same information and said his group also had evidence that three Samut Prakan MPs and one Ayutthaya MP had spoken on stage at the DAAD protest at Government House.

Meanwhile, Thepthai Senpong, assistant secretary-general of the Democrat Party, linked Tuesday's planned Cabinet meeting in Udon Thani to recent political activity upcountry by 111 administrative members of the defunct Thai Rak Thai party.

He suggested it was a move by Prime Minister Samak Sundarevej to whip up support and sound out provincial opinion as his popularity in the capital plunged.

People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) supporters in Udon Thani yesterday called for cancellation of the meeting. Core member Charoen Mookhajornphan said Samak lacked the legitimacy to run the country and the PAD would mobilise against him.

PAD opponent Kwanchai Praipana, leader of the Udon Thai Patriots Club, quickly responded by saying that if the PAD disrupted the Cabinet meeting his group would hit back in revenge for the man who had died in the Bangkok riot.

Justice Minister Sompong Amornwiwat yesterday commented that a group "to protect democracy from its destroyers" set up by PPP spokesman Kudeb Saikrajang and other party members did not represent the party's view as a whole. The group is scheduled to make speeches in Nonthaburi and Nakhon Ratchasima.

Sompong discounted the rumour that northern and northeastern PPP MPs were pressuring Samak to resign, saying discussion was confined to the best way to resolve the situation and what the premier should do next.

- The Nation / 2008-09-07

Thai PM holes up at home as emergency rule is flouted

BANGKOK (AFP /15 hours ago) — Thailand's embattled Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej holed up at his heavily-guarded home on Saturday as protesters vowed to continue defying emergency rule and hold marches demanding he step down.

About 150 riot police surrounded the 73-year-old premier's home, where a government spokesman said Samak is resting, as a state of emergency across the capital continued through a fifth day.

"The prime minister has no official functions today. He is resting at home," Wichianchot Sukchotrat said.

Samak declared emergency rule across Bangkok on Tuesday following violent street clashes between his supporters and anti-government protesters, who have occupied the main government complex since August 26 calling for him to resign.

Emergency rule, which prohibits gatherings of more than five people, continues to be flouted. Two university students were shot Friday night by unidentified gunmen as they marched towards Samak's home, and about 5,000 people remain at the capital's protest camp.

University students also planned to hold marches Saturday afternoon.

The military has not supported the emergency law, and Samak signalled his frustration on Friday at his increasing isolation.

"We have failed to tackle this problem through the courts, the military or by declaring a state of emergency. All has failed," he said, adding that emergency rule may soon be lifted.

Thai PM holes up at home as emergency rule is flouted

BANGKOK (AFP /15 hours ago) — Thailand's embattled Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej holed up at his heavily-guarded home on Saturday as protesters vowed to continue defying emergency rule and hold marches demanding he step down.

"We I have failed to tackle this problem through the courts, the military or by declaring a state of emergency. All has I failed," he said, adding that emergency rule may soon be lifted.

As I see it there are only republics with a president, parliamentary systems with constitutional monarchs and a prime minister , dictatorships, both communist and fascist, absolute monarchies (not many left) and maybe a few tribalism governments in power today.

You don't see very much, do you?

Not long time ago Swiss democracy came up in a discussion here.

Curious things are happening down there - there's an eight member federal council to run the country, and the party with the largest nationwide vote couldn't get a seat on it. Democratically, of course, though some cynical people like me think it was because they couldn't allow right wingersin the government no matter how many votes they get. Even there it's all about preserving power, not about "people".

Here, in Thailand, they gave a chance to extremists like Thaksin and now they can't get rid of him and his legacy. His goons are not as generous with handing the power over to someone else.

Thai elites were too naive about how this "democracy" stuff works.

Quite clearly we are heading for something pretty nasty here as the elite/feudal backers of the PAD feel they are fighting for their privileged existance (the Feudals, not the PAD).

I think there will need to be a compromise between the Government and the Feudals/Elites (forget the PAD for a minute).

To me, this is the right way forward - but it takes BOTH sides to agree to this. If they don't we're in for real trouble this time - no flowers to the soldiers this time I think.

Great post. I hope it happens soon. If the real powers are satisfied I think sondhi and the PAD will "declare victory" and go home.

Thanks - I think negotiations are now underway between the govt (speaker of the house/senate? The Govt mediator's name was reported the other day). But if he's only negotiating with a delegation of PAD protestors, then the govt is talking to the wrong people. It's a bit like the British Government talking to Sinn Fein when in reality they needed to have face to face talks with the Provos. In the end, the mediator who talked directly to the IRA found the way forward.

The govt needs to talk to the feudal backers of the PAD.

Mediator Prasopsusk admits difficult task ahead

(BangkokPost.com) - Senate speaker Prasobsuk admitted that he is concerned over his role as a mediator between the government and the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), in an attempt to resolve the ongoing political crisis.

After meeting with the national army chief and enforcer of the emergency decree in Bangkok, Gen Anupong Paochinda, on Saturday, the senate speaker said the army chief reiterated his stance that no force will be used and there will certainly be no coup.

Despite the PAD’s comment that it would negotiate only if Prime Minister and Defence Minister Samak Sundaravej resigns, Mr Prasobsuk said he still tries to contact the anti-government group and hopes the negotiation would be successful. However, a deadline has not been set because this issue would take some time, he said.

Mr Prasobsuk said he will try to do his best for the country, and is ready to negotiate with all sides.

Thanks - I think negotiations are now underway between the govt (speaker of the house/senate? The Govt mediator's name was reported the other day). But if he's only negotiating with a delegation of PAD protestors, then the govt is talking to the wrong people. It's a bit like the British Government talking to Sinn Fein when in reality they needed to have face to face talks with the Provos. In the end, the mediator who talked directly to the IRA found the way forward.

The govt needs to talk to the feudal backers of the PAD.

The only government rerepesentative on this "negotiation panel" is the House speaker Chai Chidchob, who is required to be neutral by law. Coalition MPs and the government itself have made their stance clear - no negotiations. They are not united, of course, but for now they are not going to give up any turf.

The negotiations are between government opponents in the Senate and Parliament and government opponents in the streets.

Some PAD leaders are reported to be ready to talk, while Sondhi is adamant that Samak should resign first.

I think it's a good sign - if PAD is seen as being ready to compromise to save the country from complete deadlock, Samak will be even further isolated.