What Office Format Do You Send

Digitalbanana

Just curious, I have for two years now been sending all my Office 2007 produced documents in 2003 format out of courtesy to the receiver whom I don't know has old or latest versions of Office. Thanks to m$ for this BS.

Anyway there are tools for old users download and install for opening 2007 docs in older Office suites.... so my question is do most people still send in 2003 format or should the onus be on old suite users getting up to date, albeit only with the free tools if needed..?? It's all M$'s fault of course but why should I have to worry having used 2007 Office for two years already if a 2003 suite user cannot figure out how to open the newer formats?

To answer your question, I still send files to other clients in pre 2K7 formats. If I have asked and the client is using 2K7, then definitely I send in 2K7 format. All of my documents internally are 2K7 or converted to PDF. It really boils down to how important the receiver is to you.

To provide some insight regarding the 2K7 format; it really is better than the older format... smaller size and less susceptible to virus are two main advantages. I find it funny that every time Microsoft changes something (for better or worse) it always seems to be BS to people. If it really is that bad for you, maybe you should revert to an older suite.

Appreciate the reply, and surprised so few replies... surely others are sending M$ documents by email?

I agree with your comments entirely. Yes the importance of the receiver is currently my reason to choose likewise. I may have come across wrongly with the BS comment... my apologies if so. I always try to use the latest versions of any M$ product as they are always undoubtedly better and more secure I hope. I am somewhat confounded that probably most of the world still does not but this I put down to a failure of M$ and probably due to the high costs of upgrading their products legally.

Unless I want people to interact with my documents PDF if the document standard of my choice.

I am leaning more and more to ODx standards lately though, since I don't feel like supporting the M$ empire

Nice unless your receiver cant view it.

My two baht: I have been using Office 2007 since it was released in 2006. I have been sending documents generated by the suite in a 2003 compatible format as a courtesy to those still using Office 2003 and prior. I think I will wait until after the new year (2009) and start sending everything in the current format. If anyone complains, I'll send them the link to download the software that will enable them to open those documents. I think 2.5 years is long enough. At that point those folks should "get with the program" or unplug their PCs.

<SNIP>... I think 2.5 years is long enough. At that point those folks should "get with the program" or unplug their PCs.

That is about how I feel. Maybe along with a short description about why the newer file format is better. Plus in 2009 I expect a relacement for O2K7.

My two baht: I have been using Office 2007 since it was released in 2006. I have been sending documents generated by the suite in a 2003 compatible format as a courtesy to those still using Office 2003 and prior. I think I will wait until after the new year (2009) and start sending everything in the current format. If anyone complains, I'll send them the link to download the software that will enable them to open those documents. I think 2.5 years is long enough. At that point those folks should "get with the program" or unplug their PCs.

Get with Microsoft's program you mean. Don't see the need for the upgrade for everybody. I've got 2007, but will continue to send 2003 format (.doc, etc.) I don't think everybody with whom I do business need update their office suite just because I did. A little twist of the wrist on my part is no sweat. Until they ask for the new format, I'm not going to force people to upgrade or convert. But then again, I've always underestimated the cost of my time vs. others' , just a habit.

Get with Microsoft's program you mean. Don't see the need for the upgrade for everybody. I've got 2007, but will continue to send 2003 format (.doc, etc.) I don't think everybody with whom I do business need update their office suite just because I did. A little twist of the wrist on my part is no sweat. Until they ask for the new format, I'm not going to force people to upgrade or convert. But then again, I've always underestimated the cost of my time vs. others' , just a habit.

I'm not insisting that a recipient of one of my 2007 documents upgrade their entire Office Suite. But they should, at minimum, download the (free) Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack that will allow them to "open, edit, and save files using the file formats new to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007." I don't think that is too much to ask.

When I installed Office 2007, I set the "save" defaults in Excel and Word to .xls and .doc (97 - 2003) formats, respectively. It makes no difference to me what format I save them in, and my company has not made 2007 "the standard" as of yet.

<pet peeve on> :o

"2K7"? &lt;deleted&gt; is that? Buzzword-itis? Easier than typing "2007"?

Sheesh....just type what you mean

<pet peeve off> :D