Bangkok Nightlife Amid State Of Emergency?

huggybear

Oh no! What will all the old horny guys do!? This truly is an EMERGENCY. :o

Whatever goofball, sometimes life in Phuket gets small so it's nice to see some variety.

Is there any one out there that actually is in BKK and has some info?

Edited by huggybear

Whatever goofball, sometimes life in Phuket gets small so it's nice to see some variety.

IMO, unless it gets very ugly tonight (which it may), things in the farang zones will remain open (like last night) as they are quite far from the main protests.

IMO, unless it gets very ugly tonight (which it may), things in the farang zones will remain open (like last night) as they are quite far from the main protests.

Great, thanks BKKJames.

I also have to buy some typical crap for friends and family at home, t-shirts and such, with your last post I'm assuming all those people are still at work, the street vendors???

Edited by huggybear

Great, thanks BKKJames.

I also have to buy some typical crap for friends and family at home, t-shirts and such, with your last post I'm assuming all those people are still at work, the street vendors???

Yep

Variety of ho's you mean? Sorry, I think this is hilarious.

What happened during the last state of emergency?

Does nightlife continue on as usual? ....and I'm not talking about the Nana nightlife.

If my memory serves me correct, the authorities had the common courtesy to wait until the bars closed before overthrowing the government.

Variety of ho's you mean? Sorry, I think this is hilarious.

sense of humor is important in all situations in life: easy to say hard to do

Report from Fieldwork Completed Yesterday Night.

Sample Size 2,347.

Nine folk slurping noodles on red and blue plastic stools (no yellow stools as of yet) around one folding table on Convent Road appears to be exempt from SoE.

Groups of twelve hanging around the fried chicken stall. No change there.

Chaos at the satay stand.

Eight salespeople outside California WOW wearing black polo shirts, clogging the sidewalk.

What happened during the last state of emergency?

Does nightlife continue on as usual? ....and I'm not talking about the Nana nightlife.

If my memory serves me correct, the authorities had the common courtesy to wait until the bars closed before overthrowing the government.

I remember that one too. The local TV channels went off the air aound 10.00pm. Then the BBC and CNN at around 11.30pm. Guess which channel didn't get cut till 12.45am or so?

You got it. The Fashion Channel. They were showing the Midnight Lingerie Show.

Don't believe me? I took a photo...

http://flickr.com/photos/11401580@N03/1114...57607071587183/

Report from Fieldwork Completed Yesterday Night.

Sample Size 2,347.

Nine folk slurping noodles on red and blue plastic stools (no yellow stools as of yet) around one folding table on Convent Road appears to be exempt from SoE.

Groups of twelve hanging around the fried chicken stall. No change there.

Chaos at the satay stand.

Eight salespeople outside California WOW wearing black polo shirts, clogging the sidewalk.

THat is excellent field work.

I too have decided to have a look see about what is happening during this state of emergency.

1) The soi dogs seem to be taking this all in stride but I can tell their are some rabble rousers among them. Last night I heard some barking that sounded like a few of them had a group meeting of 6 or 7. This morning, one of the stray outcasts was wearing a bandana.

2) The thai house builders seem more lazy than yesterday. I saw 6 sitting, acting like they were working, when only 4 were doing that yesterday.

3) While driving into Bangkok on Bangna Trad, there were many more cars driving ridiculously fast and recklessly. My guess is they were trying to beat the increased toll fares or wanted better seats for Bangkok Dangerous.

I wouldn't expect Samak and Co to see groups of diners at noodle stalls or expats propping up beer bars to be a major threat to their positions at the feed trough. However always expect the unexpected from the BiB. Wherever there is a slight possibility of raking in some extra funding you can rely on their abilities at lateral thinking.

As is usual with any such proclamation from the Thai government it is vague to the point of incomprehensivity. What constitues a gathering of five or more people demanding their dispersal? Taken to extreme they'll be raiding the wats, cinemas, restaurants........you name it. No, I think you'll be okay as long as you're not shouting out pro or, particularly, anti government slogans and waving swords around and as long as you avoid any groups doing such things. Despite the rhetoric I don't think it is in the government's interest to provoke violent unrest in the interest of the nation's international standing.

You are right about the vagueness of the SoE rules on public gatherings Phil.

This morning I was very, very worried about getting into an elevator during the usual 9.00am scrum up CP Tower.

Not too worry though. After the third farang got in the "lift overweight" alarm went off.