Sedate Your Dog For A Road Trip?

Cuban

Good havens! The things that some people will do, I was reading up on this subject on other forums both doggie related and morons general public 'How do i...?': one person admitted that they gave their dog valium prior to a bath - I can only assume that the bath-time in that household is not fun. ( I shower my two and they generally stand still and shake to order when on the rinse cycle. :o )

I have recently completed (twice - there and back) a 500 Km trip over about 6 hours or so with the dogs (4 1/2 months & circa 16kg each) during which they were perfect passengers. Only one was sick on the journey up country and that was my fault as he was fed late that day - too close to our departure time. I wanted the last meal to be about six hours prior to the trip.

A long walk before getting in the car to tire them a bit, and I admit (shame on me) to removing their water bowl for a few hours before - but they get water during the trip. I want to avoid accidents during the excitment of starting the journey.

I stop at service stations when they appear restless for a short walk and sniff around. But otherwise they sleep in the back seat inside the cab. I have a pickup and they normally travel outside for short trips to the beach etc. One prefered sleeping across my lap during part of the trip - I think he was cold with the air-con running for a few hours - they curl into a tight ball and occassionaly glare at me.

A friend was surprised that I travelled un-drugged (the dogs not me silly!) as he felt it was bad to allow the dogs to 'suffer' - it has not been my experiance that they suffered in the slightest. Waggy tails!

I was thinking it was a training issue again, getting dogs used to connecting car journeys with fun things rather than bad things, having more visits to family houses where the dogs are fussed over or the beach. In my past experiances (20 years ago) dogs have always like going places - woods, beach etc.

But I wanted to be aware of what was availible doggie drugwise in case I encountered a situation that called for chemical action when time or other factors had overriding priority. That said I can't forsee these dogs having problems with travelling. Dose per Kg per hour of sleep required ??

All thoughts and comments most welcomed.

Both of our dogs sleep in their boxes when we go somewhere. Never an issue and so issues with toilet issues, since they are in the boxes before they are in the car ...

They let us know if they need a potty break but hardly ever do.

We stop every 2-2.5 hours for a walk (and a ciggy)

valium (assival) but u have to give it half an hour before the trip and keep the dog in a quiet room so the valium kicks in; that is for dogs that get stressed out really badly...

for car sickness, same as for people, use something similar to pramin, before the trip itself...

it helps to train dogs to sit quietly in a car and go for short rides to get them used to it... using a towel or small rug that u put on the sit and train the dog that that is its 'place' in the car gives him a sense of security, and also keeps the dog from climbing over u when u need to brake fast.... air con is better then open windows (once had a goat jump out an open window...) cause wind in the face causes eye infections or foreign bodies in eyes and ears...

not eating several hours before the ride, and cleaning supplies just in case; a good collar (not the choke coller) but we recommend (but some contreversy on this) to keep dogs with their leashes on, so u can grab if need be, but that is why never with a training/choke collar on him... and identification on the collar... and a tongue slobber guard for your neck, in case u own boxers or great danes that like to back seat drive over your shoulder....

bina

My Cocker (as in Spaniel) was always great in the car/truck. He would just lay with his head on my lap and occasionally like to sit on the middle arm rest 'thingy' in my truck so that he could have a good look out the window.

I am a firm believer that drugs are for hippie folks and not dogs.

As for giving a dog a bath, I learned a trick many years ago. When you want the dog to shake (as in 'the rinse mode') just blow in his/her ear. Of course don't let your girlfriend/spouse see this or they may get jealous.

I was thinking it was a training issue again, getting dogs used to connecting car journeys with fun things rather than bad things, having more visits to family houses where the dogs are fussed over or the beach. In my past experiances (20 years ago) dogs have always like going places - woods, beach etc.

I agree, most of the time a training issue.

Currently training owner and dog, where dog did not want to jump in the car. When forced (because of a necessary vet trip) he would shiver and shake all the way. This has changed after a couple of training sessions into a huge leap right through the open door of the car, whether that was meant for him going for a ride or not.

Reason of his shiver/shake behavior before was a traumatic experience at the vet while being a puppy and car rides only connected with rides to the vet. Now this has changed, car rides are associated with nice strolls in the woods or along the lake.

But I wanted to be aware of what was available doggie drugwise in case I encountered a situation that called for chemical action when time or other factors had overriding priority. That said I can't forsee these dogs having problems with travelling. Dose per Kg per hour of sleep required ??

IMHO it dangerous to provide advice here, on a public forum, as there are so many people who might more easily give sedatives once knowing what and how much to give. And this is definitely not in the benefit of the dog.

It's dangerous because there is a considerable chance that the fear of the dog increases when being sedated in stead of decreases. For example: sedating a dog that is fearful of a bath does not take a way the fear but it immobelizes the dog, hence it can be bathed more easily. But BECAUSE the dog feels it is even less likely to flee (the natural reaction when a dog is scared) the fear for the bath increases.

Therefore, understanding what causes a dogs fear and then working on solving that problem through behavior modification techniques is the way to go.

Nienke

which is why i didnt give dosages...

and really, if u do short rides every day or so and gradually increase them, with a walk at the end of each ride at both ends it helps the dog deal with the ride itself...

Good havens! The things that some people will do, I was reading up on this subject on other forums both doggie related and morons general public 'How do i...?': one person admitted that they gave their dog valium prior to a bath - I can only assume that the bath-time in that household is not fun. ( I shower my two and they generally stand still and shake to order when on the rinse cycle. :o )

I have recently completed (twice - there and back) a 500 Km trip over about 6 hours or so with the dogs (4 1/2 months & circa 16kg each) during which they were perfect passengers. Only one was sick on the journey up country and that was my fault as he was fed late that day - too close to our departure time. I wanted the last meal to be about six hours prior to the trip.

A long walk before getting in the car to tire them a bit, and I admit (shame on me) to removing their water bowl for a few hours before - but they get water during the trip. I want to avoid accidents during the excitment of starting the journey.

I stop at service stations when they appear restless for a short walk and sniff around. But otherwise they sleep in the back seat inside the cab. I have a pickup and they normally travel outside for short trips to the beach etc. One prefered sleeping across my lap during part of the trip - I think he was cold with the air-con running for a few hours - they curl into a tight ball and occassionaly glare at me.

A friend was surprised that I travelled un-drugged (the dogs not me silly!) as he felt it was bad to allow the dogs to 'suffer' - it has not been my experiance that they suffered in the slightest. Waggy tails!

But I wanted to be aware of what was availible doggie drugwise in case I encountered a situation that called for chemical action when time or other factors had overriding priority. That said I can't forsee these dogs having problems with travelling. Dose per Kg per hour of sleep required ??

All thoughts and comments most welcomed.

Hi,

My 3 GSd' come out in the car with me 99% o fthe time and go mad if left at home.

I am aware that some exhibitors/breeders use a tablet known as ACP but I would not recommend using it as the reaction is very different between dogs even when they are equally sized.

I have used ACP Years ago and on the Vets advice) and I crushed a half tablet and smeared a bit of butter on a finger then rolled the finger in the tablet dust and rubbed it on the dogs gums and withing a few minutes the 35 or so kilo dog's legs gave way like a shot elephant, he was ok but I never used them again.

I know that some people use these tablets almost daily to keep their dogs quiet, why they keep dogs is beyond me.

Travelling with a dog in the car is about planning, if you prepare for the dog to be sick by putting down an old blanket you wont go far wrong, the more often the dog travels in the car the quicker he will get used to it.

Please dont use a sedative for your dog unless precribed by your Vet.

I would hope you wouldnt risk taking a sedative yourself on the advice of a member on a forum, (but then I am not so sure!) so why risk it with yor beloved dog?

Roy gsd