Samak Will Announce Resignation Thursday Morning?

george

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about time they got somebody who can run this very lucrative country and do the best for every one who lives/resides here. The amount of money that comes into Thailand from foriegn investment and tourism is what this country thrives on. If they are not carefull they will lose all of that and then what will happen? Some people just don't know when they have a good thing going!

Another thing, why is it you get these so called good for the people candidates go around handing out money to poor people so that they will vote for them, never to be seen agian in the villages that they trevel to after the voting closing date? Full of promises with no comitment to their word. Corruption at it's best! Will this country ever realise what they have to give to the world, after all it is one of the most desired places on the planet for people to want to visit. dumb asses...

I also am very relieved, this should go some way to return the capital to normality.

...I dont know what democracy you come from, but isnt the idea that the voters let the party that won the elections by majority govern?

It may be a little inconvenient, but you give them their term and then vote again???

If the leader is amiss or unpopular, its up to the party to replace him?

Geez, I dont agree with any of them, but let the model stand , and let the people follow the rules of democracy rather than to capitulate to half cocked policies and it will all slowly head for the better...

All seems calm on the PAD's side.

The band is a playin'

Govt. House is a rockin'

As for letting these elected people govern, they do anything but, they once dissolved Parliament under another party name, then were dissolved under that same party name, and are now facing certain dissolution again under a new party name, will start over under an even newer party name, rinse, repeat...

Edited by Tony Clifton

and the RED CARDS?? They also don't exist in your parallel world?

What red cards, I thought we were discussing politics, not football.

maybe you know more about football...

Maybe, instead of trying to be funny at the cost of a poster, you *could* actually try and answer my question, it seems you don't want to, probably because you seem to think you have all the right answers.

That IMHO says more about you than it does about me, and such behaviour basically takes away my interest in this discussion, or at least in you.

Edited by sjaak327

great news for thailand ,hopefully the damage done will have been minemal ,i for one is relieved....

It's extremely bad news for Thailand. i is not relieved....

As far as I know, nobody has resigned yet. Whatever happens, The politicians need to prevent at all costs that the PAD idiots are going to have a say in any of this. They don't have a mandate.

Again, the PAD is not a political party but various groups protesting the government for various reasons.

Protests ARE usually allowed in true democracies. It's normal. As are strikes.

These large-scale protests started back in July.

The violence and aggression occurred only after the Thaksin/Samak/PP-paid drunk-and-armed thugs began attacking the protesters in late July/early August.

Were these all calculated moves by the PAD to take down the Samak government? Probably, but Samak was never going to last without the support of the military.

The military (and Gen Prem) still has the most say in Thai government, for better or worse.

Thaksin's problem was that he tried to dismantle the existing political establishment and create his own. He also didn't see the need to be subtle while manipulating the government to aid his own personal and business interests.

Thailand wasn't really a democracy before Thaksin and it wasn't while he was in power.

Samak was never a true democrat and had a major role in the the past right wing crackdowns on pro-democracy movements.

The current change of government won't really affect any of us expats here in Thailand.

It's just another change of power. Sometimes it's via "voting", sometimes it's not.

Maybe the Democrats will eventually be able to develop a coherent political platform and maybe a true alternative to them will eventually develop. (The PPP doesn't qualify.)

Until then, we should all relax and enjoy the ride.

Edited by erobando

Thai Foreign Minister calls it quits

post-128-1220452278_thumb.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai Foreign Minister Tej Bunnag tendered his resignation to Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej as the government faces mounting pressure to resign enmasse amid street protests, a reliable source disclosed on Wednesday.

His departure came a day after the premier declared emergency rule on Tuesday after clashes between his supporters and anti-government protesters killed one man and injured 43.

Citing his ailing wife to tend to for the reason to call it quits, Mr. Tej had tendered his resignation letter to the premier who has yet to officially approve it, the source said.

However, Mr. Tej is not expected to continue work at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs from Thursday, according to the source.

Mr. Tej, a former permanent secretary for foreign affairs, replaced Noppadon Pattama as foreign minister who had been pressed to resign in the wake of the listing of the disputed Preah Vihear temple as a United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESffirCO) World Heritage Site.

First him then saman. Who's next?

Mr. Tej held talks with his Cambodian counterpart over the Preah Vihear temple dispute in Siem Reap, Cambodia, one day after he had assumed the ministerial post on July 27.

-- MCOT/TNA 2008-09-03

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Foreign Minister Tej quits

BANGKOK: -- Foreign Minister Tej Bunnag has tendered his resignation from Samak government, just 40 days after taking the office.

His reported resignation came a few days after his secretary, Poksak Nilubon, former ambassador to Sweden, resigned, saying he could not serve Samak Government.

The sources said Tej, former permanent secretary for foreign affairs, reasoned his resignation that his wife, Pensri, is sick.

Tej has been appointed to the position on July 27 particularly to handle the Thai-Cambodia dispute on Preah Vihear Temple.

It is still unclear why he wished to resign.

Tej is scheduled to visit Vietnam on September 10 and Indonesia from September 16 - 18.

Tej, 65, was the second foreign minister, under Samak Government.

-- The Nation 2008-09-03

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thai Foreign Minister resigns

BANGKOK: -- qaThai Foreign Minister Tej Bunnag Wednesday handed his resignation to Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej, The Nation news website reported, quoting a foreign ministry source.

The yet to be confirmed resignation came one day after Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej, embattled with a civil movement led by People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) to topple his administration, declared a state of emergency in Bangkok, following violent clashes broke out between pro- and anti-government protesters.

The Nation report quoted "a senior ranking foreign ministry official, as well as sources in the Government House" as saying that Prime Minister Samak was trying desperately to get Tej to change his mind. He asked Tej to wait at least until the current political crisis passes by.

There was no official confirmation from the government or Foreign Ministry spokesman yet.

-- Xinhua 2008-09-03

There is no 'democracy' in Thailand.

'Democracy' is only a word that is used to describe the political system that currently exists in Thailand & bears very little resemblance to the concept of a 'liberal democracy' that exists in most western countries.

Once all you farangs throw out your notions about what constitutes a functioning 'liberal democracy' & stop applying them to the Thai political process, you may actually begin to understand what is happening.

Remember, Thailand is a 'third world country' & as a result has a developing political process which one day may transform itself into a true 'liberal democracy'. What is happening now has happened in scores of other countries (with minor variations & local idiosyncrasies) & is a normal part of any 'third world' country's 'evolution'.

Stop your whining & let the Thais sort it out for themselves. Expect a solution in about 30 - 40 years if they are lucky.

My source confirms that Samak will announce his resignation in the morning.

If he doesn't, I will run naked through the PAD crowd.

huh......wishfull thinking

I can not understand you people.....

he was democraticaly elected....and

I believe that his party will win again and again...the whole of Isan is with him ... I hope he will stay in power

At least the BBC reports this tuff, there's a news blackout or something going on in America:

The army has simply refused to exercise the extra powers he (Samak) gave them, arguing that the conflict is a political one that cannot be solved by military intervention.

Mr Samak is now being urged to resign, by a number of very senior military and bureaucratic figures.

BBC article

I believe that his party will win again and again...the whole of Isan is with him ... I hope he will stay in power

LOS is a long way from a democracy. Corruption is the main goal. It does not matter who is in power.

This the way of life here and always will be.

great news for thailand ,hopefully the damage done will have been minemal ,i for one is relieved....

As far as I know, nobody has resigned yet. Whatever happens, The politicians need to prevent at all costs that the PAD idiots are going to have a say in any of this. They don't have a mandate.

After hundreds of pages on this topic, you're still calling PAD idiots.

I dont think you understand the seriousness of the matter. These people are not idiots and need to be taken very serious.

And ......... it takes an idiot to call someone an idiot.

Better or wores, PAD supporters told to get set

People's Alliance for Democracy leaders told the anti-government protesters that they should prepare for better or worse as Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej is going to address on radio at about 7am tomorrow.

Somsak Kosaisuk, a PAD leader, asked PAD supporters to gather at the Government House as many as possible to prepare for the morning speech of the PM.

"Knowing Samak, I'd say things could take a twist and turn and the best for us is to get set and react wisely so that our fight will not be a waste. It is only a few hours away," he said at 1.40am on Thursday.

Other leaders echoed Somsak's idea and told the PAD members that they do need support from PAD members. "Whatever happens, we have to gather here. Please come out and join us and if you are in the province, please leave now."

The PAD supporters are told to stricly follow the five key leaders and continues their fight to reach the goal of a "new politics". They are told to help fighting for the free and independent media especially ASTV.

Totally isolated PM

(BangkokPost.com, TNA) Foreign Minister Tej Bunnag resigned on Wednesday, and Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej booked early morning air time for a special speech to the nation, as he became increasingly isolated by the militant street protests.

A reliable source disclosed that Mr Tej quit in apparent protest, the day after the premier declared emergency rule on Tuesday after clashes between his supporters and anti-government protesters killed one man and injured 43.

Mr Samak ordered TV and radio time beginning at 7:30am (0030 GMT) on Thursday, through the Public Relations Department.

Officially, he will "speak to fellow Thais about the ongoing political turmoil," PRD sources said.

Unofficially, there was high speculation he might decide to resign. Leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy said on Wednesday that the minimum requirement for negotiations with authorities are the resignations of Mr Samak and his cabinet.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=130356

After hundreds of pages on this topic, you're still calling PAD idiots.

I dont think you understand the seriousness of the matter. These people are not idiots and need to be taken very serious.

And ......... it takes an idiot to call someone an idiot.

sure, sure, sure, idiot is allways an idiot...........he calls them idiot it is free country ..yes??? if you support PAD it is up to you... he on the other hand has right to support Mr. Samak's party and so do I my dear friend

The PAD supporters are told to stricly follow the five key leaders and continues their fight to reach the goal of a "new politics".

"Strictly follow the five key leaders to reach..................The goal of new politics...." :o

Their goal of their new politics =............

"They (PAD Leaders) have now refined their argument to propose rural voters in Thailand are too poorly educated to be allowed to elect a parliament, and that it should be a largely appointed body instead." *

Scary and unbelievable that the PAD supporters don't even know who their Leaders are and what they're aiming at....this Sondhi character and his mates are devils in disguise... :D

May God and Buddha forbid they will rise to power with their MASS PARTY **

They'll follow them and.....post-13995-1220485116_thumb.jpg

* http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7584369.stm

** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Party_(Thailand)

LaoPo

LOS is a long way from a democracy. Corruption is the main goal. It does not matter who is in power.

This the way of life here and always will be.

talking about corruption??? ... every country is corrupted but some are more corrupted then others. In Thailand I am safer then in my country....

Suddenly I have this image of the USA fast forward 1 year. President Obama has given free health care to all and numerous other welfare packages. All of the government is in the hands of the democratic party that is extremely popular with the middle and lower class voters. PAD organizeds the republicans into a demonstration. So there you have it, all of the rich republicans and oil company executives standing hand in hand singing "WE SHALL OVERCOME" . :-)

lol at the people pointing to Samak and the PPP as standard-bearers of democracy.

Or that Sondhi will gain political power and that all of his proposals will actually come to fruition.

A lot of reports seem to also paint this as Small Urban Educated Elite v the Rural Poor.

1) Thaksin is not poor.

2) The South is poor. And they don't vote PPP.

I know what western democracy is like because I have lived under it and participated in it most of my life. The last few years I have seen alot about what Thai democracy is like and I can say they are the same. Democracy is inefficiend, ugly and ripe for corruption. However, it is the only system of government that is fair to most and unfair to few. What Thailand does not have is western style law enforcement and a military that meddles in politics. Fix law enforcement and fix the military and they would probably be okay.

I can see the headlines now "PM resigns in the AM!". Rather than taking a poll, we could have had a betting pool on this one? But then it would be gambling and therefore illegal, not to mention sacreligious or whatever the proper term is. At least you must admit, Samak does have a big nose, which has often been likened to a champool. We all just want Thailand to be all better and kind of back to normal, so we can enjoy our life of ease in our adopted home here. What will this do to the price of beer and P___y? One must keep one's priorities straight after all.