Samak Will Announce Resignation Thursday Morning?

george

For the 774th time. He wasn't 'democratically elected'. He didn't get nearly enough votes and had to form a coalition with the other ones who were not 'democratically elected'.

Huh? Are you saying coalition or minority governments are not democratically elected or are illegal? If that's the case, then the current minority government in Canada has to resign, and all those coalition governments that Italy, Germany, and other European nations have had were illegitimate. Cripes, the current Israeli government had better resign because that's the poster boy of dysfunctional coalition governments.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant say I expected Samak to resign after all he is still in denial about 1976 so dont expect him to ever see he has done anything wrong. Remember he is old and comes from a big name family and is PM so we must respect him.

Interesting take by him on how if he resigns it is a blow to democracy. Thailand is a constituency based parliamentary system where people vote for a local representative and a party. The PM is not directly elected. PMs as in many parliamentary system countries can be and are changed as part of the democratic system. Changing PM now in Thailand would just be part of the democratic system.

Big name family that has been disowned by the way, not many are aware of this. He is still in denial over this.

I didnt know that. It would be an interesting story to hear. One of many usually negative ones surrounding this man's career.

It's completely untrue.Furthermore I guarantee that this poster will not be able to provide any credible evidence.As an aside look at his appalling recent posts on the violence in the streets to determine his intellect and character.

On a more serious topic you make a good point about parties changing PM in midstream.After all UK's New Labour may well take this course.If or (given the very clear signals from the Premocracy) more likely when Samak goes. as Plus has already commented, perhaps the PPP should carry on with a new leader in accordance with its mandate.In practice there will have to be some give and take with the PAD agenda.In today's Bangkok Post interview Sondhi accepts Abhisit would be a much preferred option but that the Dems would have to accept PAD's demands.Very tricky situation for the sophisticated end of the elite who would be aware Abhisit would have a huge international credibility (He's committed to liberal democratic values).Better perhaps to have a hobbled PPP PM like Surapong who can be easily leant upon.

Since the PAD said that is completely unacceptable to them, and they want also to approve of the next PM, it doesn't look like this is going to be resolved anytime soon.

Samak just needs to ride out this storm. He's not going to resign for any reason. PAD will start to leave the govenment house compound soon as they have lives with responsibilities. As the crowd becomes smaller, the police will just walk in and move the few remaining ones out. The leaders of the PAD will be arrested except Chamlong. His arrest will have a serious consequence as there will be sympathy for him from many important army leaders and could be dangerous for Samak. The rest are plebs. Sondhi has to be destroyed by Samak now.

It is not that simple. Society itself is so divided. Samak is now as much part of the problem as Sondhi. Take out one you have to take out the other

Cant say I expected Samak to resign after all he is still in denial about 1976 so dont expect him to ever see he has done anything wrong. Remember he is old and comes from a big name family and is PM so we must respect him.

Interesting take by him on how if he resigns it is a blow to democracy. Thailand is a constituency based parliamentary system where people vote for a local representative and a party. The PM is not directly elected. PMs as in many parliamentary system countries can be and are changed as part of the democratic system. Changing PM now in Thailand would just be part of the democratic system.

Big name family that has been disowned by the way, not many are aware of this. He is still in denial over this.

I didnt know that. It would be an interesting story to hear. One of many usually negative ones surrounding this man's career.

It's completely untrue.Furthermore I guarantee that this poster will not be able to provide any credible evidence.As an aside look at his appalling recent posts on the violence in the streets to determine his intellect and character.

On a more serious topic you make a good point about parties changing PM in midstream.After all UK's New Labour may well take this course.If or (given the very clear signals from the Premocracy) more likely when Samak goes. as Plus has already commented, perhaps the PPP should carry on with a new leader in accordance with its mandate.In practice there will have to be some give and take with the PAD agenda.In today's Bangkok Post interview Sondhi accepts Abhisit would be a much preferred option but that the Dems would have to accept PAD's demands.Very tricky situation for the sophisticated end of the elite who would be aware Abhisit would have a huge international credibility (He's committed to liberal democratic values).Better perhaps to have a hobbled PPP PM like Surapong who can be easily leant upon.

Thank you for proving it IS true since the issue can not be discussed on here. :o Will YOU expand on it? No.

You don't surprise me at all by trying to discredit my other posts in order to deconstruct this one.

I wonder if the non-resignation was Samak's idea or that of the big boss :o

Well the "Big-Boss" has just got another 150 million to play with so that should allow the pay-offs to cronies to be kept going a bit longer including keeping Samak there to "hold the fort".

Mind you now he ( Samak ) must be in grave danger of his Sunday BBQ exploding unexpectantly I should think !

I find it interesting that credible competition to PPP is not beginning to form. This is the time when someone should jump in as the bridge builder. Abhist has been very disappointing. In my mind he has shown no leadership capabilities. This is a golden opportunites for the opposition parties to make a name for themselves. The next election may be sooner then they think.

<br />
I just told the wife about this "news", and she asks why it is not being reported on TV? Then I log on to here and see it is merely a rumor. Passing on rumors this way is not very helpful, in my estimation, anyone can dream up stuff like that. Let's see what happens tomorrow, huh?
<br /><br />samak the bungling fool dreamed up a rumor that he was going to get arrested at the airport once. it never happened of course.<br />but that was newsworthy enough for the newspapers at least.<br /><br />its truly amazing people actually votes for this moron. and will probably continute to vote for whoever the next puppet is<br />
<br />People who vote for the likes of Samak and Thaksin are the uneducated masses and as long as Thailand does nothing to improve the educational system in this country (standards and access to a full 12 years of school), nothing will change. The elite like to keep the upcountry folks dumb to keep them down, but what the elite get in return is the likes of Samak and Thaksin running the country.<br />
<br /><br />You have hit the nail square on the head.<br /><br />A very big percentage of village people have never gotten much further than the next couple of villages. They know zip about democracy or how a democracy works.<br /><br />While they continue to sell their votes nothing is gonna change any time soon. Not in my life time (nor my children's either)<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><font face="Courier New">I am having to restrain myself from using several 4 letter words in this reply.</font><br /><br /><font face="Courier New">.</font><br /><br /><font face="Courier New">I am so tired of people that call the rural people uneducated, dumb and etc.</font><br /><br /><font face="Courier New">In reality it makes a lot of you appear uneducated.</font><br /><br /><font face="Courier New">And now I read the following statement.</font><br /><br /><font face="Courier New"><i>"A very big percentage of village people have never gotten much further than the next couple of villages."</i></font><br /><br /><font face="Courier New">I am sure that there are many on this forum that has never been to or much less live in a small village.</font><br /><br /><font face="Courier New">How long has the rural areas been sending its children to work in Bangkok and to other parts of the country to work. Many are now middle aged along with others that have returned.</font><br /><br /><font face="Courier New">They do know about democracy and through their experience away from the village have realized how unequal thins are here. They have seen areas that have good roads, irrigation systems, water systems that work, telephones, better health care, better schools and much more.</font><br /><br /><font face="Courier New">That is why they are voting for a party that has made efforts to end the inequality.</font><br /><br /><font face="Courier New">In jest I have told my wife that we don't have good roads here because a lot of people in Bangkok think we still ride Buffalos so we don't even need roads. But at times I really do think it's true.</font><br />
<br /><br />Next time I get to Ubon, I owe you a beer. :-)<br /><br />
<br />Send me a PM <br />I will be ready for it.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hear Hear, my wife (23) never understood the concept of space and time and was amazed when I told her we had landed on the moon!

However she has been locked to this controversy on TV and believe me has an amazing grip and understanding of what is going on. It actually surprised me and I am proud of her she has really shown her maturity on this one!

To my mind the best short term way out of various corners is for Samak to resign and be replaced by whoever the PPP select. That is in line with democracy. Samak is increasingly making/taking it personally and is now part of the problem rather than the solution. In return something must be done to the PAD like move/moved out of GH and leaders surrender to police, obviously bail and maybe banned from public speeches. I doubt treason charges will last too long. If something doesnt give then there wont be a country left o play for.

The problem is as others have identitifed. Too much face. Samak has a huge face by any Thai standard and to lose it well that is not going to be easy. The PAD leaders too will lose face but oddly they seem more willing to accept some face loss right now. Maybe their corner is not so tight.

What a pair of wally's.

The PM gives a radio address because the average honest, hard working Thai is NOT still in bed and does NOT have a television. They have been up since 6 am or earlier and are either at work already or on their way.

Then of course there are the elites in Bangkok... watching cartoons and making their frothy coffee... now THEY may miss something. Come to think of it, they miss the plot completely.

Who's the wally when he could have simply said I won't resign on tv yesterday but they come up with a mystery radio show where he once again looked like he's totally out of controlling the situation? His FM resigned, think he's made progress since then? CAn you also explain if he 's under control why the crowd swells and thins out every day at the PAD rally? How come the speakers and artists walk in and out as they please? Wow, such a grip on that area.

Samak 's nomination as PM was a national farce then and is a shameful national farce still today.

Because he is the nominated head of an elected government. End of. Sondhi blew away any chance of mediation when he delivered his 4-point plan that not only had the unacceptable condition that the elected head should resign, but also went as far as stating there were only 2 candidates that Sondhi would see fit to replace him. I mean, squatting in Government House has really gone to his already swollen head.

And the reason the speakers and artists can &lt;deleted&gt; about all day on stage is because there's a whole lot of hard-working Thais going to work, earning an honest wage and paying taxes that affords PAD the luxury of their meaningless Daily Show. There is nothing more in-your-face arrogant to the disenchanted, disenfranchised and struggling 'uneducated' country people as all these smiling, fed and watered, yellow-shirted, PAD festival goers on perpetual vacation on TV every night. Does 'get a job' have any meaning here?

There's no denying that Samak isn't the most desirable old fox in this hen house but who else is there? Abhisit the fence-sitter? He is so inexperienced you just KNOW he will become another front-man for special interests. Sondhi the squatter? I think not.

It was Samak's idea, though there are probably 40 million Thais and countless others from free countries all over the world who are glad he made that choice.

I don't know much about him but I see that he is tough and thick skinned, exactly the kind of PM Thailand needs at this time, when democracy and majority rule is being threatened. A lesser man would have folded under so much pressure.

I just told the wife about this "news", and she asks why it is not being reported on TV? Then I log on to here and see it is merely a rumor. Passing on rumors this way is not very helpful, in my estimation, anyone can dream up stuff like that. Let's see what happens tomorrow, huh?

samak the bungling fool dreamed up a rumor that he was going to get arrested at the airport once. it never happened of course.

but that was newsworthy enough for the newspapers at least.

its truly amazing people actually votes for this moron. and will probably continute to vote for whoever the next puppet is

People who vote for the likes of Samak and Thaksin are the uneducated masses and as long as Thailand does nothing to improve the educational system in this country (standards and access to a full 12 years of school), nothing will change. The elite like to keep the upcountry folks dumb to keep them down, but what the elite get in return is the likes of Samak and Thaksin running the country.

You have hit the nail square on the head.

A very big percentage of village people have never gotten much further than the next couple of villages. They know zip about democracy or how a democracy works.

While they continue to sell their votes nothing is gonna change any time soon. Not in my life time (nor my children's either)

I am having to restrain myself from using several 4 letter words in this reply.

I am so tired of people that call the rural people uneducated, dumb and etc.

In reality it makes a lot of you appear uneducated.

And now I read the following statement.

"A very big percentage of village people have never gotten much further than the next couple of villages."

I am sure that there are many on this forum that has never been to or much less live in a small village.

How long has the rural areas been sending its children to work in Bangkok and to other parts of the country to work. Many are now middle aged along with others that have returned.

They do know about democracy and through their experience away from the village have realized how unequal thins are here. They have seen areas that have good roads, irrigation systems, water systems that work, telephones, better health care, better schools and much more.

That is why they are voting for a party that has made efforts to end the inequality.

In jest I have told my wife that we don't have good roads here because a lot of people in Bangkok think we still ride Buffalos so we don't even need roads. But at times I really do think it's true.

Yes I live in a small village some of the time the rest of the time in a very small Town and agree with most of your sentiments.

The only problem being that when the go to work in Bangkok they are Discriminated against and generally only get the lesser jobs.

When they come back to their villages it is normally during a holiday period.

From my personal experience they do not get engaged in political talk. They are back in the Village to Party and have a good time.

Yes education is going forward at a slow pace. My personal village has built their own roads from money they received from the government.

But I also know other villages nearby where the money seems to Disappear.

Since marrying my wife 7 years and coming to live here for 3 years now. I have hopefully made a positive impact on the Local community.

I think you are like me. Love Isan People and want to help them.

I think the theory is that Isan people only vote for what is good for themselves. And the rest of the country votes for ............... Oh wait. I guess everyone votes for what is good for themselves. :o Maybe the Isan people are as smart as everyone else.

It was Samak's idea, though there are probably 40 million Thais and countless others from free countries all over the world who are glad he made that choice.

I don't know much about him but I see that he is tough and thick skinned, exactly the kind of PM Thailand needs at this time, when democracy and majority rule is being threatened. A lesser man would have folded under so much pressure.

Can't wait for responses to that reply - a case of "Light blue touch paper and retire" me thinks !!!!!

<br />
<br /><br />samak the bungling fool dreamed up a rumor that he was going to get arrested at the airport once. it never happened of course.<br />but that was newsworthy enough for the newspapers at least.<br /><br />its truly amazing people actually votes for this moron. and will probably continute to vote for whoever the next puppet is<br />
<br />People who vote for the likes of Samak and Thaksin are the uneducated masses and as long as Thailand does nothing to improve the educational system in this country (standards and access to a full 12 years of school), nothing will change. The elite like to keep the upcountry folks dumb to keep them down, but what the elite get in return is the likes of Samak and Thaksin running the country.<br />
<br /><br />You have hit the nail square on the head.<br /><br />A very big percentage of village people have never gotten much further than the next couple of villages. They know zip about democracy or how a democracy works.<br /><br />While they continue to sell their votes nothing is gonna change any time soon. Not in my life time (nor my children's either)<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><font face="Courier New">I am having to restrain myself from using several 4 letter words in this reply.</font><br /><br /><font face="Courier New">.</font><br /><br /><font face="Courier New">I am so tired of people that call the rural people uneducated, dumb and etc.</font><br /><br /><font face="Courier New">In reality it makes a lot of you appear uneducated.</font><br /><br /><font face="Courier New">And now I read the following statement.</font><br /><br /><font face="Courier New"><i>"A very big percentage of village people have never gotten much further than the next couple of villages."</i></font><br /><br /><font face="Courier New">I am sure that there are many on this forum that has never been to or much less live in a small village.</font><br /><br /><font face="Courier New">How long has the rural areas been sending its children to work in Bangkok and to other parts of the country to work. Many are now middle aged along with others that have returned.</font><br /><br /><font face="Courier New">They do know about democracy and through their experience away from the village have realized how unequal thins are here. They have seen areas that have good roads, irrigation systems, water systems that work, telephones, better health care, better schools and much more.</font><br /><br /><font face="Courier New">That is why they are voting for a party that has made efforts to end the inequality.</font><br /><br /><font face="Courier New">In jest I have told my wife that we don't have good roads here because a lot of people in Bangkok think we still ride Buffalos so we don't even need roads. But at times I really do think it's true.</font><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hear Hear, my wife (23) never understood the concept of space and time and was amazed when I told her we had landed on the moon!

However she has been locked to this controversy on TV and believe me has an amazing grip and understanding of what is going on. It actually surprised me and I am proud of her she has really shown her maturity on this one!

We landed on the moon?

Nowhere near 40 million. The PPP earned only 14 mil votes (same as the Demos, more or less) in the 2007 parliamentary elections, and their popularity - along with Samak's - has taken a considerable dive since then.

I wonder if the non-resignation was Samak's idea or that of the big boss :D

Nowhere near 40 million. The PPP earned only 14 mil votes (same as the Demos, more or less) in the 2007 parliamentary elections, and their popularity - along with Samak's - has taken a considerable dive since then.

now you are trying to put facts in the way !! :o

To my mind the best short term way out of various corners is for Samak to resign and be replaced by whoever the PPP select. That is in line with democracy. Samak is increasingly making/taking it personally and is now part of the problem rather than the solution. In return something must be done to the PAD like move/moved out of GH and leaders surrender to police, obviously bail and maybe banned from public speeches. I doubt treason charges will last too long. If something doesnt give then there wont be a country left o play for.

The problem is as others have identitifed. Too much face. Samak has a huge face by any Thai standard and to lose it well that is not going to be easy. The PAD leaders too will lose face but oddly they seem more willing to accept some face loss right now. Maybe their corner is not so tight.

I think I already agreed with you about this on another post, but I guess if you keep posting it, I will continue to agree. It seems we can't have too much agreement these days. :o

samak the bungling fool dreamed up a rumor that he was going to get arrested at the airport once. it never happened of course.

its truly amazing people actually votes for this moron. and will probably continute to vote for whoever the next puppet is

People who vote for the likes of Samak and Thaksin are the uneducated masses and as long as Thailand does nothing to improve the educational system in this country (standards and access to a full 12 years of school), nothing will change. The elite like to keep the upcountry folks dumb to keep them down, but what the elite get in return is the likes of Samak and Thaksin running the country.

A very big percentage of village people have never gotten much further than the next couple of villages. They know zip about democracy or how a democracy works.

While they continue to sell their votes nothing is gonna change any time soon. Not in my life time (nor my children's either)

"A very big percentage of village people have never gotten much further than the next couple of villages."

I am sure that there are many on this forum that has never been to or much less live in a small village.

How long has the rural areas been sending its children to work in Bangkok and to other parts of the country to work. Many are now middle aged along with others that have returned.

They do know about democracy and through their experience away from the village have realized how unequal thins are here. They have seen areas that have good roads, irrigation systems, water systems that work, telephones, better health care, better schools and much more.

That is why they are voting for a party that has made efforts to end the inequality.

In jest I have told my wife that we don't have good roads here because a lot of people in Bangkok think we still ride Buffalos so we don't even need roads. But at times I really do think it's true.

Yes I live in a small village some of the time the rest of the time in a very small Town and agree with most of your sentiments.

The only problem being that when the go to work in Bangkok they are Discriminated against and generally only get the lesser jobs.

From my personal experience they do not get engaged in political talk. They are back in the Village to Party and have a good time.

Yes education is going forward at a slow pace. My personal village has built their own roads from money they received from the government.

Since marrying my wife 7 years and coming to live here for 3 years now. I have hopefully made a positive impact on the Local community.

Please UbonJoe and Tomo22 and other ones in the same case, please write more posts like this.

And please, xxxxx PAD supporters, stop to despise the people living in villages.

From what I see right now they are far wiser than the xxxxxx people believing Sondhi.

Edited by geovalin

I had the impression that he wanted to raise his middle finger to PAD, but wanted to make sure that everyone was watching when he did it. Not very diplomatic, but he was never famous for diplomacy.

<br />
<br /><br /><br />

We landed on the moon?

We? I am sure I didn't.

The more I think about it, the less I believe Samak is going to resign. I cannot believe he would resign without going on TV. If he really does wimp out and resign on radio, he will go down as the biggest coward in Thai history. Talk about bark with no bite...

As I was saying... resigning on the radio just didn't seem to be his style - and not so early in the morning either, serves no useful purpose. Samak is not one to back down from a fight, I suspect it's going to take a lot more.

If Mr. Samak had character, he would have resigned already, but it shows only who's child he really is. "I work for the Nation", why they always pointed that in that way? When they thinking then of their power and pocket money?? Sure it seems democratically he has won! But there is an unrest going on throughout this society which goes much deeper, finally it is the buddhist-monarchy against the new world order! The "real" Thai-Society probably prefere to live a easy live, as they did for hundreds of year. You remember, it was that, what has attracted people coming here in the beginning of south asia travel to spend our time in this great country. For most as long as possible ;-)

Anyway, today it is not anymore about charakter and ethiks, today it is all abaout money and power. "Kaly Yuga" the Indians call it.

It was always like that........no it was not! Things are not just since Thaksin bad, are they good somewhere, you name it.

I think Thailand is somehow one thee edge, history experinced right here!

You forgot the 26 million constituency votes. 14 million was just the proportional bit.

Full results of the election here.

I find it interesting that credible competition to PPP is not beginning to form. This is the time when someone should jump in as the bridge builder. Abhist has been very disappointing. In my mind he has shown no leadership capabilities. This is a golden opportunites for the opposition parties to make a name for themselves. The next election may be sooner then they think.

fully agree, Almost every idi*ot can look smart in compare with Samak. It would be very easy for the Democrats to look like the only party who is peaceful smart and the only option for Thailand. But in fact Abhisit is a sleeping pill. Barnharn the Eel showed better leadership capabilities than Abhisit.

Thanks

You are correct that many come back for holidays. Many also travel home for elections to cast their vote.

In our village we have several that have come back after saving money to build house's or improve the family home and stay to work the family's land. The have been able to buy TacTac's, tractors and etc.to make the job less labor intensive.. These are the one's I am talking about.

We have some good people handling the money here in the sub district and villages so the money seems to go the right way. But there never seems to be enough of it to do the road repairs correctly.

I have the same feelings as you.

Married about seven years also. Built a house shortly after and stayed unless I was outside the country working.

My wife is Village Headman (person) so I know a little about the politics here.

A again thanks to you and others that have supported me on this.

I wonder if the non-resignation was Samak's idea or that of the big boss :D

now you are trying to put facts in the way !! :o

There might not be a one to one correspondence between number of PPP votes in 2007 and the number who don't want Samak to step down under pressure of the PAD. They are two entirely different situations. In 2007 an election. Now the PAD + an unspecified number of supporters is trying to overthrow that election. There is more at stake than whether or not Samak is popular.

As for the alleged "fact" that PPP popularity is less now, that is open to debate. Even Aphisit (spell?) admitted that he would not be able to beat Samak in an election at this time.

You forgot the 26 million constituency votes. 14 million was just the proportional bit.

Full results of the election here.

Technical point but you cant use the constituency vote as a direct amount of votes received. If you add them up you will find they exceed the electorate of Thailand! The reason is that some constituencies had one MP, some 2 and many three so in many places people had up to three votes. The constituency tally is just a raw number that doesnt indicate one person's vote as different people had different voting rigths depending on constituency. Maybe not exactly a good system if one believes in OMOV but.... The only indicator of vote tally in terms of one person one vote is the party list vote.

fully agree, Almost every idi*ot can look smart in compare with Samak. It would be very easy for the Democrats to look like the only party who is peaceful smart and the only option for Thailand. But in fact Abhisit is a sleeping pill. Barnharn the Eel showed better leadership capabilities than Abhisit.

He's a nice guy, but nice guys don't make leaders I suspect. The country would be as split as the day before.

Of I forgot, somewhere in the paper, Sondhi said he preferred Abhisit so he must lead.

I would have more respect if Abhisit came out and told the world in very strident terms that the PAD is wrong or right. At least it would mean something. It isn't enough to say parliament will sort it out, let's have a meeting, Samak should resign.