Vaccination

benfica

"Also could I simply have these vaccinations in Pattaya or Surin at a more affordable cost. I will also start a course of Malaria tablets 2 days before leaving on doctore advice."

unquote

Ask your Dr if he has ever lived in Thailand. :o

Jeeeezus, what a croc of <deleted> has been posted on this topic.

On the subject of malaria - I should add to this topic that I have lived for almost a decade in Thailand and managed to catch malaria two years ago (Dec 07) in Surin province. Not a nice disease to have. It is not practical to take anti-malarial tablets everyday if you are here for a long period of time. But it is wise to wear long sleeves and long trousers in the evening and apply a good DEET spray if staying close to the cambodian border.

It's not a croc of <deleted>. Thailand does have malaria. I know. I had it.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

"Also could I simply have these vaccinations in Pattaya or Surin at a more affordable cost. I will also start a course of Malaria tablets 2 days before leaving on doctore advice."

unquote

On the subject of malaria - I should add to this topic that I have lived for almost a decade in Thailand and managed to catch malaria two years ago (Dec 07) in Surin province. Not a nice disease to have. It is not practical to take anti-malarial tablets everyday if you are here for a long period of time. But it is wise to wear long sleeves and long trousers in the evening and apply a good DEET spray if staying close to the cambodian border.

I can verify this. I remember when you had it, but to make it clear it was the crazy ex missus that made you leave Surin

Where did I mention Malaria?

Taking a course of malaria tabs (in advance) is a waste of money and the side effects are terrible.

So is malaria, use a good Deet based spray-on or cream on all exposed parts of your body if going into a bad mossie area.

Taking a course of malaria tabs (in advance) is a waste of money and the side effects are terrible.

So is malaria, use a good Deet based spray-on or cream on all exposed parts of your body if going into a bad mossie area.

Post 29, in response to a previous post.

A quote is someone else's words!

Please. Do try to keep up.

A quote is someone else's words!

Please. Do try to keep up.

No sorry, you keep up.

This was the quote from the OP

unquote

You put the sentance referreing to malaria in bold lettering and replied with the following comment.

Unquote

By putting the sentance reffereing to malaria in bold and commenting as you did any normal reader on this forum would assume that you are rubbishing his doctors advice to take Malaria tablets, and therefore suggesting that Thailand does not have malaria. It does.

Whether you choose to take the malaria tabs is up to you. There is malaria here, and how prevalent it is fluctuates seasonally, and from year to year. If you will be primarily in a city, you may not be exposed to mozzies. If you do not go out at night, you will not be exposed to any malaria-carrying mozzies, as they are a night-biting species. If you will be in a rural area, or out at night, the best course of action is a good DEET containing repellent, as already advised, and a net if you'll be sleeping in an infested area. The only malaria tablets to which the mozzies here are not resistant is Malarone. Use of Malarone is discouraged, because of the likelihood of the mozzies becoming resistant to that as well. The recommended course of action is prevention.

Japanese encephalitis is possible, but remote. If you are going to Cambodia, like Phnom Penh, then it is very prevalent there. Get the vaccine. If you will be primarily closed indoors (not just window screens, but glass) you don't need either the Japanese encephalitis vaccine or malaria pills. If you will be outdoors -well, the JE mozzies are daytime-biting. The vaccine is horrible, but the disease is even worse. Calculate your risk factors and do what you think is best.

Whether you choose to take the malaria tabs is up to you. There is malaria here, and how prevalent it is fluctuates seasonally, and from year to year. If you will be primarily in a city, you may not be exposed to mozzies. If you do not go out at night, you will not be exposed to any malaria-carrying mozzies, as they are a night-biting species. If you will be in a rural area, or out at night, the best course of action is a good DEET containing repellent, as already advised, and a net if you'll be sleeping in an infested area. The only malaria tablets to which the mozzies here are not resistant is Malarone. Use of Malarone is discouraged, because of the likelihood of the mozzies becoming resistant to that as well. The recommended course of action is prevention.

Japanese encephalitis is possible, but remote. If you are going to Cambodia, like Phnom Penh, then it is very prevalent there. Get the vaccine. If you will be primarily closed indoors (not just window screens, but glass) you don't need either the Japanese encephalitis vaccine or malaria pills. If you will be outdoors -well, the JE mozzies are daytime-biting. The vaccine is horrible, but the disease is even worse. Calculate your risk factors and do what you think is best.

Thankyou for your excellent reply. I will be going to Cambodia during my travels so it looks like I will need JE vaccination.

Can I get JE vaccination in either Pattaya or Surin and what is the likely cost please?

do yourself a favor forget vaccination

its deadly and dont work!

I was going to post a lengthy reply to this drivel but then was brought back to reality by the words of my wise old dad:

"Never try to teach a pig to sing....

Its a waste of your time and it annoys the pig"

do yourself a favor forget vaccination

its deadly and dont work!

I was going to post a lengthy reply to this drivel but then was brought back to reality by the words of my wise old dad:

"Never try to teach a pig to sing....

Its a waste of your time and it annoys the pig"

:o:D

• 8 months later...