Chiang Mai Best Taste / Value Food In The World?

ajarnpim

I ate what I IMHO consider to be the best value, tastiest breakfast available anywhere in the world this morning.

Big plate of delicious rice, topped with three dishes; Gaeng kheow wan, (melting eggplants, onions and mushrooms, Soft chicken). Laab moo Chiang mai, utterly delicious not too oily, Sweet eggs with chillis and onions. Sublime. Topped it off with shallots, cabbage, bean sprouts and cucumbers. Free ice water!

Total price for this feast 25 big boy bahts.

Ive visited many, many countries and I dont think you can beat Thailand for great food at such an incredible price.

Rose guest house was pretty awesome yesterday as well. 120B well spent.

Better go running soon.

I do not eat Thai food, but that is a great value for the money.

This week, a retired visitor from northern USA said her pork chop at Madame Lee's was the best she had ever eaten. I agreed, and the new menu only charges about 135 baht.

The world's best BLT sandiwch is at Bake n Bite for under 100 baht.

I ate what I IMHO consider to be the best value, tastiest breakfast available anywhere in the world this morning.

Big plate of delicious rice, topped with three dishes; Gaeng kheow wan, (melting eggplants, onions and mushrooms, Soft chicken). Laab moo Chiang mai, utterly delicious not too oily, Sweet eggs with chillis and onions. Sublime. Topped it off with shallots, cabbage, bean sprouts and cucumbers. Free ice water!

Ive visited many, many countries and I dont think you can beat Thailand for great food at such an incredible price.

Better go running soon.

you forgot to mention that the restaurant was impeccably clean and fully airconditioned, the table cloth was top grade egyptian cotton, the plates Meissner, the cups Rosenthal porcelain, the cutlery sterling silver and the waiter who wore a tailcoat addressed you fluently in several languages which you did not understand :o

I do not eat Thai food, but that is a great value for the money.

This week, a retired visitor from northern USA said her pork chop at Madame Lee's was the best she had ever eaten. I agreed, and the new menu only charges about 135 baht.

Wow, I heard the same EXACT thing this week!

And the best Quid Dio Noodle shop is across from CMU's eastern gate on Suthep Road. It's Quid Dio Naam Dtok style, and make sure you ask for it "mai phet" as normally it is super hot for the locals. 30 baht. For western salad, you can't beat the 30 baht packaged Doi Kham salads they sell not far from the aquarium at Central Airport on Thursdays and Fridays. Yep, CM has super value for great taste virtually everywhere.

Better go running soon.

you forgot to mention that the restaurant was impeccably clean and fully airconditioned, the table cloth was top grade egyptian cotton, the plates Meissner, the cups Rosenthal porcelain, the cutlery sterling silver and the waiter who wore a tailcoat addressed you fluently in several languages which you did not understand :o

Still chuckling at all this while making copious notes! This last one - the waiter with several languages - forces me to ask you - and anyone else reading this, about an international urban myth (oxymoron/paradox there?) I heard here in Chiang Mai 5 years ago.

A Kiwi restaurant owner who had travelled the world told me that there was a team of 14 or 15 French waiters who were available to hire, at very high cost, as a team, for as little as 1 night or 14 days. All were fluent in at least 5 languages and all had memories so good that (having studied the menu in advance) they could take a table full of orders without using pen or paper. Including how you wanted the steak and with which sauce etc etc.

Their manners and service were impeccable and they never made a mistake and were always Very generously tipped. They never need to advertise because top people recommended them to their friends (and governments!) all the time.

True or false?

Better go running soon.

I guess thats an attempt at humour. The sommelier offered me some chateau lafitte 1787 which i turned down in favour of some fresh squeezed, orange and carrot juice.

Better go running soon.

Still chuckling at all this while making copious notes! This last one - the waiter with several languages - forces me to ask you - and anyone else reading this, about an international urban myth (oxymoron/paradox there?) I heard here in Chiang Mai 5 years ago.

A Kiwi restaurant owner who had travelled the world told me that there was a team of 14 or 15 French waiters who were available to hire, at very high cost, as a team, for as little as 1 night or 14 days. All were fluent in at least 5 languages and all had memories so good that (having studied the menu in advance) they could take a table full of orders without using pen or paper. Including how you wanted the steak and with which sauce etc etc.

Their manners and service were impeccable and they never made a mistake and were always Very generously tipped. They never need to advertise because top people recommended them to their friends (and governments!) all the time.

True or false?

I believe that is someones fantasy, and I believe it is false. :D

Better go running soon.

True or false?

wow. I just consider CM dining a victory if I don't see any rats or large insects during the meal.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

Chaing Mai in my opionion is one of the most "International" cities in Asia, at least when it comes to food. Some places like Pattaya are considered International, but it is hard to find dining choices outside of European, Thai, or some fusion of the two.

Chaing Mai on the other hand has a great selection of food including Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Indian, American, Chinese, several European countries, and of course Thai. The food in Chaing Mai is one of the many reasons why it is my favorite spot in Thailand.