Laos Visa At Chong Mek

I would like to to travel into Laos for a few days (4) late December early January. I will be in BKK for about 5 days and in ubon ratchatani for a few days.

What's the best option for obtaining a visa. BKK or at the Vang Tao-Chong Mek border?

I hold UK passport?

Thanks

John

from memory, got a cheap taxi from the border to the next big town, I think that cost 100 baht.

then caught an old cheap taxi to the islands for about 1000 baht. Its about a 2 hour journey on good roads. This as far as I could tell were the 'thai prices' even though I was in Loas. Had some other Thai friends go there a couple of weeks before I did and they all paid the same as me and my wife.

Dunno about getting down there by boat, other than you need a couple of days just to get there. You should take the opportunity to go down to the Cambodian border, and see the Mekong dolphins, and go see some of the waterfalls. Some of the villages down there are absolutel stunning.

Yes, but I don't know the paperwork situation. I asked the border guard on the thai side and he said people did it fairly regularly (I was interested in doing the drive in my own car one day).

I also know it is possible as I noticed a few Bangkok register pick-ups down near where I was staying. No need to say that these buggers were the most dangerous drivers for miles arounds and nearly ran me over while speeding down country laneways.

Laotions tend to be very safe drivers on the other hand.