Farang Owning Land

hi all,

was talking to a real estate agent today who insured me.

that iff i put up a company with 51% thai shareholders,

i could buy land on company name and let my thai shareholders sign a legal document that states they have no say in my land or anything.

so what he was saying meant, i put up a company with 51% thai shareholders let them sign the legal papers.

and my company owns the land under my controle (my control only).

is this possible or true?

and i know you heard it already tomany times, but here it comes again.

is investing in land in thailand to grow rubbertrees or anything a good and safe investment?

p.s.

i'm not married here or anything if that should matter.

hi all,

was talking to a real estate agent today who insured me.

that iff i put up a company with 51% thai shareholders,

i could buy land on company name and let my thai shareholders sign a legal document that states they have no say in my land or anything.

so what he was saying meant, i put up a company with 51% thai shareholders let them sign the legal papers.

and my company owns the land under my controle (my control only).

is this possible or true?

and i know you heard it already tomany times, but here it comes again.

is investing in land in thailand to grow rubbertrees or anything a good and safe investment?

p.s.

i'm not married here or anything if that should matter.

It's not as simple as you describe, but yes a Thai company can be set up such that you have a controlling interest in the company and thereby have control of any company assets. Having Thai shareholders that do not actually invest in the company is illegal. I suggest you read the many posts in this forum regarding Thai company ownership of land.

As for investing in land to grow rubbber, I wouldn't recommend this unless you have trusted Thais already lined up ready and willing to harvest the rubber. My wife has some rubber tree land and we know a UK/Thai couple that has been buying up rubber tree land. They are having problems finding workers that they can trust to cut the rubber and share in the profits. We have family members cutting our trees and we let our family members keep all of the profit which keeps me from having to give them money. Unless you know what you are doing, I would be very cautious (i.e. strongly recommend against) investing in farm land.