1-2 Go Airliner Crash, Phuket Memorial, Sept 16

HorseDoctor

On behalf of Ms. Bonnie Rind, an American who lost her brother in the crash of Sept 16th 2007 and has done such incredible work uncovering malfeasance on the part of ..............., and Thai..............,

a memorial is to be held to remember those who lost their lives in the 1-2 Go, MD 80 crash.

Tentatively, there will be a memorial as near to the crash site as possible, Sept 16, 2008 and at the same time of day , 3:45 'ish afternoon PM (I believe.)

Anyone have any ( positive, please ) suggestions, input?

Channel 9 , can you help publicize this, please ?

Also, there will be demonstrations in front of Thai Embassy in France and perhaps

Washington, DC to protest the Thai DCA's

( Dept. of Civil Aviation) apparent lack of regulatory authority regarding this

airline company . ( Outright Corruption ? )

The U.S.A. FAA is considering , and being aggressively lobbied to downgrade

Thailand's Aviation safety standard.

Thank you to Bonnie Rind, again for showing us that one woman can make all the difference .

The actual crash site is difficult to access. It's on the north side of the runway and close to the military area. Why not hold the memorial on the beach area, close to the end of the runway? That is much more accessible via the beach path from the national park and near to the small Tsunami memorial area.

I also note that a small building with spirit houses has just been completed in this same area, about 100 metres from the runway. Might this building be some form of memorial, especially since it has been completed just prior to the anniversary?

Simon

The actual crash site is difficult to access. It's on the north side of the runway and close to the military area. Why not hold the memorial on the beach area, close to the end of the runway? That is much more accessible via the beach path from the national park and near to the small Tsunami memorial area.

I also note that a small building with spirit houses has just been completed in this same area, about 100 metres from the runway. Might this building be some form of memorial, especially since it has been completed just prior to the anniversary?

Simon

On the beach is a good idea, would the closest access from a car be from the north end of Nai Yang, where the park begins at the south end of the airport boundry fence??

I was waiting to hear from some pilots via Investigate Udom before I sent out a press release but that needs to be today for the Gazette at least .

I know you're near there, can you tell me please, is the plane still in the same place? ( what's left of it )

So ..

Memorial to be held at 3 PM - 6 PM ( 15:00-19:00 ) at the base of Phuket Airport Runway, on Nai Yang Beach

Accessible from outside the SW corner of the airport property.

Buddhist Service. Placement of Spirit House. Reading of Names.

Families have requested a video tape of the service. Can anyone do this, please?

Apparently some of the 1-2 Go staff are planning something but weren't including the passengers and aren't timely in announcing plans .

If anyone fknowing more about this could post information perhaps we could merge the two ceremonies.

Yes, the plane is still there. Where exactly will the spirit house be placed?, (bearing in mind the low season storms, it should perhaps be placed near to the small tsunami memorial).

Sorry, but I don't have a video camera. Perhaps the local TV channel could provide this?

In case anyone is not sure of how to reach the memorial location, as you approach the airport on the main airport road, turn left about 50 metres after you past the 7-11 on your righthand side. That left road currently has building works at the corner. Go up to the beach where the road bears left as it enters the national park and Naiyang beach. There is a parking area here. The access footpath along by the beach is on your right, near to the large 'turtle' sign of the national park. This footpath is broken some 100 metres further because of storm damage. Just walk on the beach past this break and rejoin the path. If you walk about 300 metres further, you will see the tsunami memorial on your righthandside and new large spirit house shortly afterwards, (just before the path ends near to the airport runway).

Simon

Yes, the plane is still there. Where exactly will the spirit house be placed?, (bearing in mind the low season storms, it should perhaps be placed near to the small tsunami memorial).

Sorry, but I don't have a video camera. Perhaps the local TV channel could provide this?

In case anyone is not sure of how to reach the memorial location, as you approach the airport on the main airport road, turn left about 50 metres after you past the 7-11 on your righthand side. That left road currently has building works at the corner. Go up to the beach where the road bears left as it enters the national park and Naiyang beach. There is a parking area here. The access footpath along by the beach is on your right, near to the large 'turtle' sign of the national park. This footpath is broken some 100 metres further because of storm damage. Just walk on the beach past this break and rejoin the path. If you walk about 300 metres further, you will see the tsunami memorial on your righthandside and new large spirit house shortly afterwards, (just before the path ends near to the airport runway).

Simon

Thank you Simon, another excellent suggestion. So the Tsunami memorial and new spirit houses are near the runway?

Thanks for the directions and landmarks, too..

I think a friend of one of the French passengers will bring a video camera.

I"m still waiting to hear from staff or crew of 1-2 Go or the airport.

Bonnie had said she thought they might plan something but didn't seem to be including the passengers.

May I ask, are you planning on attending?

I will need help alternately reading the names and someone more proficient in Thai language than me to read Thai names .

Thanks

HD

Yes, I will attend. The small tsunami memorial is maybe about 200 metres from the runway, and adjacent to the beach path. The new spirit house is about 30 metres from the tsunami memorial.

Do you have a list of the names? Perhaps you can send them to me via PM and I can try to help.

Simon

MiniVDO: Special - 1 year in commemoration of One-Two-Go air crash at Phuket

http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...php?news_id=686

Today one year ago, the One-Two-Go Airline’s Flight OG 269 from Bangkok crashed and burst into flames on landing at Phuket International Airport at around 3.40pm. The pilot had decided to land in extremely severe & windy weather. During the time, factors like ‘wind shear’ were widely spoken of as the wind was extremely bad during the landing time. This was the first major accident at the airport in its history. The plane carried 130 passengers and crew and the accident killed 90 people of many nationalities, including Australians, Iranians, Israelis, British, Americans and Thais. An official investigation plus inquiries by victims’ families had been going on for almost a year before the Thai Department of Civil Aviation revealed the investigation result for the cause of the crash as bad weather & pilot error. For the peace of mind in residents and staff, a Buddhist symbol statue is now established near the airport not long after the accident. Chavalert and Chavit Jit-jam-nong, a father and son, were among survivors, but they lost their loved one, a wife and a mother. He said ‘Now my father looks after me. I’m better. I don’t want to remember that last moment. I meant to turn to wake mum up, but there was no time. It was so swift. It still haunts me, in only one image.’ Chavit told us that safety belts are very important. He admitted that he usually put on a loose belt, but that fatal day he did it right, so that prevented him from getting any head injuries.

Andaman News visited the Phuket Airport Control Tower to observe their operation. The director of Air Traffic Control insisted that their operation meets high international standards. He said they use the same universal air traffic standards and that they are members of International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO). Before any flight takes off or lands, pilots will follow flying manuals and many positions are involved like ground control, local control, area control centre and pilot (who makes the final decision). The airport General Manager Wicha Nernlop also assured us of the airport’s highest safety procedures. As last year’s accident occurred during severe weather, the manager insists that wind shear machines are in use, with 6 wind shear positioned at the various corners of the airport. He however stressed that the decision to land or not to land rests on a pilot: The airport manager said that it was such a terrible accident which no one wanted to happen. After it occurred, it was the swift rescue to save lives and recovery that they focused on and they did quite well with all units and agencies concerned. At least there were some survivors who they managed to rescue and took great care of. The airport was cleared and reopened within 48 hours.’ As a survivor, Chavit stills thinks the terrible weather was the main cause, with of course the pilot’s fatal decision, and that his own & his father’s survival was due to consciousness and not panicking.

Today a private memorial service will be held in honor of the victims at 3– 6 pm. The ceremony will be held on the Nai Yang beach beside the runway apron at the southwest end of Phuket Airport, near a tsunami memorial as well. There will be a Buddhist service, placement of a spirit house and reading of passenger names at 3.40pm. Members and friends of families’ victims are invited to join there. For those that cannot make it there, you can take one minute of silence to remember the victims of Phuket’s air crash on 16 September 2007.

Special Report for Andaman News NBT (VHF dial) + FM90.5 Radio Thailand at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, Tuesday 16 September 2008 & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/ Send comments to [email protected]

http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...php?news_id=697

A private memorial service was held for the One Two Go air crash last year in respect of the victims as well as raising awareness for safety measures for air traffic.

An American resident in Phuket, Christy Sweet, yesterday arranged a private memorial services for victims of the One-Two-Go air-crash on 16 September 2007. The small ceremony which started off with Buddhist monks and later an Israeli Rabbi, was held beside the Airport apron, near a pile of crash wreckage on the beach side of the airport. They set up a Spirit House beside a Tsunami memorial & Nai Yang beach, just southwest of the runway. They read out the names of passengers & crew who died or were injured & sought signatures for an investigation petition. (Thaivisa.com also kindly sent a wreath for ceremony).

After the ceremonies we talked to Christy Sweet and Simon Luttrell, a Tourist Police Volunteer & Owner of Phuket Airport Hotel, But first Christy tells us why she organized this memorial:

---------------

One of the One Two Go air crash survivors told us his story 1 year after the accident.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...php?news_id=698

“On September 16th last year, I had a feeling an accident was coming since the plane started to descend from Surat Thani to Phang Nga, before Phuket, as the visibility was terrible. I couldn’t see a thing out of the window. Once we heard that the aircraft was approaching the airport, I told some nearby passengers that it would be harmful.”

Chainarong Maharae, a local politician from Bang Muang of Phang-Nga is one of the survivors from the One Two Go plane crash on September 16th 2007. It was a miracle of life for him to survive, as he was burnt over 60% of his body and spent a long time after that in the intensive care unit of a hospital.

Others may have thought the injuries could be fatal, but Chainarong fought for his life with enormous support from his family, his wife Pimolrat, and his son and daughter, and today he leads his normal life. Even though his face is remarkably re-structured thanks to modern surgeries, the other parts of his body still tell his story.

His wife said “I dare not look at him the first time. Getting to him, I said I’m here. He acknowledged, so I said – don’t give up, you have to fight.”

Chainarong said “the doctor told me I need at least 6 months treatment but in fact it took me 84 days. I believe that the miracle followed the good deeds I have done. Judging from my severe burns, doctors say it would take a long time to recover all, or I would be crippled, but actually I survived and got back to work, even though it’s not 100%.”

Chainarong told us that if he had been sleeping or had not had a grip of himself, he might have gone.

One year has passed, while the compensation he received was a medical bill paid for worth over 12 million baht. He is still waiting for a lawsuit against the airline company for 100 million baht compensation. The case awaits a trial in the US. He told us he would spend some from this for social charities. Chainarong also called for Thailand to review laws to compensate or protect accident victims.

----

Andaman News NBT (VHF dial) + maybe FM90.5 Radio Thailand at 8.30am & perhaps relays/repeats on local Cable TV channel 1, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, Wednesday 17 September 2008 & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/ Contact [email protected]

Edited by NBT TV Phuket