Adsl in bangkok, anyone?

lumar

• 2 weeks later...
I had adsl in Bangkok recently. I got it from Samart and it was very good service. I connected with a phone line and was still able to use the same line for phone calls while on line. I almost chose another service but the fee was about 20,000 baht a month. With Samart I got 256 download and 128 upload as i remember. The monthly fee was about 3000 bht for unlimited access and unlimited downloads. I don't think the service ever went down in the 4 months I had it. I also had more than one computer sharing the same connection and I guess they don't like that. In some areas I was told you can use your ubc dish and pay that way but not in my area.

• 1 month later...

http://www.samarts.com/service_individual_eng.php

The 3,000 Bahts unlimited time/unlimited download must have been a limited promotion.

The web site now mention 3,800, for 30 Hours ...

---

DSL@Home  

Promotion Name - Speed Price (inc.VAT) - Installation

Fee  - Total Access Hours - Extra Charge per Hour  

DSL@Home  

128/64 - 2,200 - 2,000 - 30 - 20

256/128 - 3,800 - 2,000 - 30 - 35

--- Loxinfo ---

http://www.loxinfo.co.th/product_service/adsl.html

Seems cheaper ...

256/128 - 1,700 baht/mth - 1,500 - 50 - 34

With the price difference, I assume there is an additional Fee somewhere ... ???

Anybody a loxinfo ADSL subscriber ?

A friend of mine has satellite broadband from CS Internet - Shin Satellite. It works beautiful, but is very expensive.

Setup: 20,000 Baht

Monthly: 7,000 Baht

Speed: 256K home / 128K upload

IP Star Satellite Broadband in Thailand

It works everywhere in Thailand, even without a telephone line. My friend lives on an remote island near Krabi with only electricity.... It's called Star Express light and has a 120cm parabol for bothe send and receive.

Hi Guys

Up here in the North, everyone I know who needs speed has CSInternet's iPTV and iPSTAR [Telephone/Satellite giving 56k upload and 256k download] and without exception every one of them likes it.

Paid with a credit card there is a 3,000.00 Baht refundable depost [Otherwise 6,000.00B] it's around 1,200-15,000B to install and either 1,500.00 or 3,000.00B per month for 750 or 1500 MB of monthly transfer in either direction. Payments of either six or twelve months in advance attracts 5% and 10% discounts.

And, again, everyone I know is very satisfied.

Best ones -- Brian :o

A friend of mine has satellite broadband from CS Internet - Shin Satellite. It works beautiful, but is very expensive.

Setup: 20,000 Baht

Monthly: 7,000 Baht

Speed: 256K home / 128K upload

It works everywhere in Thailand, even without a telephone line. My friend lives on an remote island near Krabi with only electricity.... It's called Star Express light and has a 120cm parabol for bothe send and receive.

They must have reduced the price recently.  I was using this system in Chiangmai 6 months ago.  At that time, it was 17,000 baht per month, and the service was absolutely unreliable and abysmal.  In addition to frequent and extended service outages, I had to have my "network box" (satellite interface provided by CS) replaced 3 times.

Another consideration: although both one-way and two-way satellite systems are quoted at the same download speed (256kbps), in my experience one-way systems are actually faster because outgoing packet requests or ACKs go over the phone line which has a significantly shorter (an order or magnitude) latency than a round trip from earth to space to earth again.  Furthermore, when I was an iPStar subscriber, they never could get the NetGain compression working, so I never got any compression benefits that come effectively built-in to the one-way system.

Chuck

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Thailand is really not the broadband paradise.

I am currently using a TA/AsiaInfoNet 256/128 ADSL with a volume based payment. Arround 8000-10000 Baht for 1GB with 6 Baht per MB for exceeding traffic.

The system works fine and we even get much higher speed, sometimes >1Megabit/sec. BUT it is just is too expensive when using it for high data volumes like video conferencing.

So my question to the  iPSTAR satelite users. Do you get the advertized speed on a stable basis. Did you do any videoconferencing with it?  And one more thing I am worried, does it still work when it is raining hard?

Besides that, we are all waiting for the big bandwith roll-out everybody is talking about theese days and having our unlimited 2MBit line for $50   :o

• 2 months later...

I too use IP Star Light 3  - 3GB a month @ 256/128

We do not have a fixed line so use the 2 way connection.

Only seem to have problems when rain clouds appear!

CS have recently introduced varying levels of Star Light - so if you are not shifting 100 Mb a day there are cheaper levels of service.

I regularly use both MSN Messenger with sound and video and also net2phone - both work very well

Net2phone is very good - I can call the UK for an hour for only 2.40 US Dollars - @ 100 ish baht  - Far cheaper than paying telephone call charges!

I also share the connection around my house/garden using a SMC wireless router - so I have access wherever I want to sit.

• 4 years later...
<font color='#000000'>I am looking around to get ADSL internet connection in Bangkok. Anyone having experience of the ISP:s that sell ADSL (Loxinfo, A-Net etc.).

Does it work ok?

Is it worth the higher fees?</font>

Absolutely & absolutely not... As with everything in Thailand, things are not exactly as you would presume. Nor, are they as advertised (no truth in advertising laws here).

My experience is with TRUE and the most laughable thing is that they call their service "SUPER HI SPEED" when in reality it is quite the opposite. To keep a long (and ongoing) saga short and to the point, this is what they say you get:

3072Kbps/512Kbps for 1850 Baht (or 1150 Baht if you have UBC cable and phone service with them) www.truecorp.co.th

What do you really get? After 12 visits from technicians (they send one out to your home every time you call in to tell them the connection speed isn't what is should be), as well as countless trips to their office, not to mention all the calls and emails to customer service (which they still don't seem to understand what 'customer service' really means) - the answer is simply this: You get whatever the system can handle at that moment in time depending on how many people in your area are online. They 'open up' your bandwidth to 3072, but the best I've gotten using their local test site (or Thai Visas') is about 1890Kbps/230Kbps. Sometimes more, but most of the time less.

Testing your speed? They inform me that when you test your speed it must be from their local test site here in Bangkok, and not www.broadbandreports.com or www.dslreports.com/tools because these sites are not local. You must test using http://speedtest.trueinternet.co.th/ which gives you a much (sometimes exponentially) higher result. I'm not sure if they would accept Thai Visa's speed test, but it is also local and very good. Do any of us really use local Thai sites when we surf? Not even my local Thai bank uses a local provider - they too are located in the States. None the less this is TRUE policy for testing your speed.

What do their technicians say? Sorry, we're doing our best - you should get about 80% guarantee. What does customer service say? Sorry, we're doing our best, but your contract says you get only 60% of what we promise you. When confronted with "but I'm only getting 20%" they simply send out another technician. When asked why they're not discounting the months when the technicians told them my service was at 20%, they say "sorry, you must pay 100%".

Welcome to Thailand.

post-18918-1188884596_thumb.jpg

I use the ToT IPstar sat. 256/128 and the download works just fine 24/7. none is going to always work in hard rain, but it has done pretty well even then. I would req. 512/256 for video conf as my upload will dip from time too time but mostly it works. I have never had any problem with connection and with download manager I have avg. near 270 on some downloads. I have read some treads where some have had on going problem, but have yet to understand why as mine has not been one of those. :o PS paying 1500 unlimited use 256/128, going to 512/256 in Oct. for a bit more.

Edited by RKASA

<font color='#000000'>Anyone here having current experience of DSL in Bangkok?</font>
Well, my gf uses TRU's 256 service costing 590 Baht plus 100 Baht for the phone line with TOT. It was never down. But at times it is bloody slow, like 8 kb download speeds. Normally, downloads are at maybe 35 kb. I am mostly surfind the web or using VoIP for calls and the quality and speed is sufficient for that 99% of the time. ** Dilbert, 3,000 Baht sounds pretty dear. Is that 20,000 Baht a typo?

What do you really get? After 12 visits from technicians (they send one out to your home every time you call in to tell them the connection speed isn't what is should be), as well as countless trips to their office, not to mention all the calls and emails to customer service (which they still don't seem to understand what 'customer service' really means) - the answer is simply this: You get whatever the system can handle at that moment in time depending on how many people in your area are online. They 'open up' your bandwidth to 3072, but the best I've gotten using their local test site (or Thai Visas') is about 1890Kbps/230Kbps. Sometimes more, but most of the time less.

Testing your speed? They inform me that when you test your speed it must be from their local test site here in Bangkok, and not www.broadbandreports.com or www.dslreports.com/tools because these sites are not local. You must test using http://speedtest.trueinternet.co.th/ which gives you a much (sometimes exponentially) higher result. I'm not sure if they would accept Thai Visa's speed test, but it is also local and very good. Do any of us really use local Thai sites when we surf? Not even my local Thai bank uses a local provider - they too are located in the States. None the less this is TRUE policy for testing your speed.

I for one would love to know why you had 12 visits.

True on the same package as you mention gives me over 400k in torrent downloads when I leave my notebook on in our BKK office, works well for all other things, and I have never seen a tech onsite ever, as there have been no problems in the four years we have been using them.