Did The Big Turkey Stop The Big Turkey

toopeekaa 1

To Many out there the American Thanksgiving Day Holiday will soon be here.... This of course usually means a Big Stuffed Roast Turkey with " all de fixins"..

I have been told that there are no turkeys to be had in the Kingdom..... The bird kind, I mean, not the Governmental/Political type.

I am told that there is a ban on importing turkeys into the kingdom.. Does anyone know of this and also the rumor of the reason being that there is bird flu in Texas ????

Other than the US annointed one who was just reelected, I have heard nothing of bird flu or any other turkey problem in the US, anywhere... Has anyone information to the contrary, or could this be just a payback for the US and other Western countries banning Thai Chickens during the local non bird flu ???

I imagine there are turkeys grown right here, they have them in Laos...I've seen them.

Many, many hotels and restaurants have already announced their Thanksgiving and Xmas feasts -- all of them featuring turkeys on the menu. They must be coming from somewhere.

In checking with a restaurant supplier, I find out that there is a ban on importing turkeys into Thailand. It is in response to the banning of Thailand Chicken Products by some of the INternational Community..... However there was no ban on Thai Cooked or processed chicken products, hence there was no ban on cooked imported turkeys.

Now the supplier to whom I spoke, said he has about 200 tons of cooked turkey products tied up on the docks of the US and Thailand now says that they will not allow even the cooked product into the country.

There is however a local version of turkey , which has a much higher fat or grease content. Consequently when roasting it may come out likey a greasy, oily pigeon...

Ain't politics great, with the tit for tat......

Well gobble gobble and on the the vegetarian turkey..... Wonder what vegetable turkeys eat. ?????

Thanks for that..... just got of the phone with the above...... no imported turkeys.... only if frozen and left over from last year...... Domestic turkeys ok

Last year Butterball Brand and the comparable sold for 190 p/ Kilo now according to the above the domestic is selling for 230 p/Kilo

Last year Lotus and the other big guys had plenty of imported,,,,,, this year none that I have been able to find

thanks

I just called Rimping Supermarket in Chiang Mai, who says turkeys are not restricted and that they just got a new shipment of Butterballs from the States.... 490 baht per kilo. Last year, it was closer to 200 :D

And about 10-20 baht per kilo in the States... ?

I just called another place in CM that's always sold turkeys and they said imports are blocked.... :o

I just called Rimping Supermarket in Chiang Mai, who says turkeys are not restricted and that they just got a new shipment of Butterballs from the States.... 490 baht per kilo. Last year, it was closer to 200 :D

I just called another place in CM that's always sold turkeys and they said imports are blocked.... :o

Supply and demand.They could not sell them all last year so they double up the greedy bastards.These birds will be as tough as ######.

Turkeys in the US are about US$1.30 / lb or about $2.85 / kilo. That would be about 115 baht / kilo.

Price depends on where you buy and what brand, of course.

"My pick: A fresh local bird. Prices really do vary quite a bit - even at the supermarket a fresh turkey costs more than the giant frozen ones that retailers nearly give away at holiday time ($1.19 and up per pound, A&P).

Next best thing: frozen turkeys, 89-99 cents per pound, A&P."

Time flies by... :o

The last time I spent a Thanksgiving in the States, turkey was 19 cents per pound at Safeway... About 15 years ago :D

I think the words "new shipment" translates to "took a year to gather up the unsold last year turkeys from the other stores and shipped to Rimping"

The ban is for real as the largest restaurant suppliers confirm it ...

Yeah I'll bet ..... when you get it home it won't be "Butterball" .... more likely "Butterbon"

& NGNAP probably right Last years 190 b/p/k is now 490 after all they had to pay the freezing cost for the year......... same as the condo stories "if you cna't sell for 1,000,000 B this year next year don't reduce the price ....... you have more interest cost in the project so raise the price on that that you can't sell at the cheaper price.

Well the Turkey Dinner is over..... and just a few comments;;;;;

I cooked 1 Butter Ball [ 7.2 K] and 2 Thai Turkeys [combined 9.8 Kilos]

The Butterball produced 19 - 200 gram portions [combo of white and dark meat]

The Two Thai Turkeys totaled 13 - 200 gram portions

The Butterball delivered a very good looking slice of white breast meat.

The Thai Turkeys both were concave breasts with approx 1/2 " layer of fat under the neck to breast skin... white meat cuts were very narrow and shredded like, creating a not too desirable presentation

The Thai birds were very greasy and oily.

While the stuffing mix was from the same pan, when the birds were finished roasting and the stuffing removed, both thai turkey's stuffing was very greasy and oily....

My end result and feelings is that perhaps next year or next turkey time , if the ban is not lifted, perhaps I'll go with a Roast Pig..... No more Thai turkeys for me...

A comment or the Rimping 490 Baht per Kilo Turkeys

1] Did they or their supplier violate and break the ban by slipping in [and of course tea money] to get the imported turkeys in

or

2] were they last years left over turkeys frozen and marked up 250 + percent to gouge the good customers.... of which I consider myself one........

I would think it would have to be one or the other, in any case neither show too much consideration for the customer

To those TV Members to whom it applies....... I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving in Canada was in October. I had me a Turkey sandwich with boiled potatoes.

I sure do miss the turkey feasts at home along with the ham, perogies, mashed potatoes, cranberry, stuffing, fresh rolls and beer.

A thanksgiving without turkey is no thanksgiving I would like to partake in.

Turkeys in the US are about US$1.30 / lb or about $2.85 / kilo. That would be about 115 baht / kilo.

I just bought a " Butterball " turkey = 69 cents a pound .

Happy Thanksgiving all

No Septic, me, but is it really necessary to have a turkey as the bird for thanksgiving? Why not goose, or duck (or sick buffalo  :o )?

97% of al Americans ( in the U.S. ) will eat turkey today .

Source.. CNN news last night

Necessary ? No .

Happy Thanksgiving all

Hey Jeff Message from Thailand :o "STUFF IT " :D

FOR DOZ LOCALS ..... DATS ABOUT 28b X 2.2 ABOUT 62 BAHT PER kILO

LONG WAY FROM 490 b .... No doubt the Concorde is still flying

turkeys :D:D

Thanksgiving in Canada was in October.  I had me a Turkey sandwich with boiled potatoes.

I sure do miss the turkey feasts at home along with the ham, perogies, mashed potatoes, cranberry, stuffing, fresh rolls and beer.

A thanksgiving without turkey is no thanksgiving I would like to partake in.

Even Turkey Kway Teeow (Heng) is OK with me! :o

Happy Thanksgiving all

Hey Jeff Message from Thailand :D "STUFF IT " :D

FOR DOZ LOCALS ..... DATS ABOUT 28b X 2.2 ABOUT 62 BAHT PER kILO

LONG WAY FROM 490 b .... No doubt the Concorde is still flying

turkeys :D:D

Thank you , I will .

Concord eh ? :o

No Septic, me, but is it really necessary to have a turkey as the bird for thanksgiving? Why not goose, or duck (or sick buffalo  :D )?

Tradition aside, lots of folks do a ham or a goose as well.

Sick buffalo don't get it... :D

My goose gets a bit too cooked, too often, as it is.... Another kind of bird for a holiday, please. :o

If you’re itching to try something different for your Thanksgiving meal, allow me to suggest this delicious recipe from our allies in Saudi Arabia: Whole Stuffed Camel.

Stuffed Camel

1 whole camel, medium size

1 whole lamb, large size

20 whole chickens, medium size

60 eggs

12 kilos rice

2 kilos pine nuts

2 kilos almonds

1 kilo pistachio nuts

110 gallons water

5 pounds black pepper

Salt to taste

Skin, trim and clean camel (once you get over the hump), lamb and chicken. Boil until tender. Cook rice until fluffy. Fry nuts until brown and mix with rice. Hard boil eggs and peel. Stuff cooked chickens with hard boiled eggs and rice. Stuff the cooked lamb with stuffed chickens. Add more rice. Stuff the camel with the stuffed lamb and add rest of rice. Broil over large charcoal pit until brown. Spread any remaining rice on large tray and place camel on top of rice. Decorate with boiled eggs and nuts. Serves friendly crowd of 80-100.

Shararazod Eboli Home Economist, Dammam, Saudi Arabia

Sounds a lot more exotic than plain old Turkey! :o

Thanks to lgf

What do all the Americans eat for christmas? is it Turkey?

Australia is too hot for meals like that at christmas and there abouts. Aussies will tend to dine on salad, cold meats, beer and wine...

The only white christmas I ever had was that year the government banned anti dandruff shampoo imports because of the rather nasty strand of hair flu going around.

:o:D

What do all the Americans eat for christmas? is it Turkey?

Australia is too hot for meals like that at christmas and there abouts. Aussies will tend to dine on salad, cold meats, beer and wine...

The only white christmas I ever had was that year the government banned anti dandruff shampoo imports because of the rather nasty strand of hair flu going around.

:o  :D

Did you ever notice that folks with a completely bald pate never have dandruff on their collar ???? As one sometimes called onion head ,,,,, I know

and only to you "tuky" I just saw it .... and offered to George with his no doubt newly imposed diet......... "what does a TV member on a diet eat ????"

answer....... "Turkeylite" :D:D