Non O-a Extensions

Just when I thought I know exactly how these things work I now am confused completely after my last return to LOS. I have a Non A-O issued in Melbourne Australia in 31 Jan 2007 and entered Thailand 1 March 2007 for retirement. I left 23 Jan 2008 for Mesot and got another year until 22 Jan 2009. Now in July 2008 I left for a hol in Australia and re turned 27 July 2008. I the airport they now stamped me admitted until 26 July 2009. Do these extensions for one year go on forever? I don't think so. All comments appreciated :o

I presume yours is a multiple-entry non-O-A visa, and you say it was issued on 31 JAN 2007. Somewhere on this visa it should say something like “this visa must be utilized before” followed by a date stamp. What is this date?

--

Maestro

I also was issued a O-A mulitple entry visa in Houston, Tx.

Visa states.. "must be utilized before 07 Jan 09"

I left out of Thailand to Vietnam and returned on 13 Jun 08.

Upon return I was stamped "Permitted to stay until 12 Jun 09. "

I will return to the U.S. for 3 weeks in November and return to Thailand in early December.

Are they going to stamp me until December 09?

When will I have to do the retirement extension?

I am puzzled as well.

When you enter Thailand in December 2008 you will receive permission to stay until December 2009. If you travel outside Thailand after 06 JAN 2009 you must get a re-entry permit from the immigration office before you leave Thailand. This will keep your permission to stay alive.

Any time during the last 30 days of permission to stay, ie in November/December 2009, you go and apply for your retirement extension at an immigration office.

--

Maestro

Now in July 2008 I left for a hol in Australia and re turned 27 July 2008. I the airport they now stamped me admitted until 26 July 2009. Do these extensions for one year go on forever? I don't think so. All comments appreciated sad.gif

Sounds like Immigration goofed, as your Non O-A visa should have expired no later than 30 Jan 2008. After that, and without a re-entry permit, you should have been stamped in with a 30-day visa exempt stamp -- not another 365-day permitted to stay.

The best you could have done before going on holiday would have been to get a re-entry permit to allow your last permitted to stay (until 22 Jan 2009) to remain valid.

What now? Dunno. I would think you're ok until July 2009, as Immigration has 'permitted you to stay' until then. However, should you want to extend for one-year after July 2009, your expired visa will become part of Immigration's records -- and the disconnect between its expiration date and last permitted to stay stamp -- could prove troublesome. I'll let the experts here give you the best answer on that one.

Or, if on holiday again in Australia, a new Non Imm O-A would clear the air, I would think.