Jogging ?

benjamat

I am concerned about the amount of talk of jogging in this thread.

I think most here are no longer spring chickens and taking up jogging in later years presents a high risk of damaging your knees.

I was a very active sportsman until my early forties then life changes stopped me doing much. At 50 I developed a bit of a belly and took on advice about jogging. After 6 minths I had major problems with both knees requiring surgery. Remember if your weight has increased by 20 lbs since you last did regular exercise you now have to carry this 20 lbs like a bag of sand around with you. As you get older and your body takes longer to recuperate this stress on joints as well as heart is dangerous.

Living in thailand I know we all want to look healthier and indeed a bit younger but consider this,

Walking around with a permanent limp or a stick will do even less for your image than a bit of a belly.

Just think about it and if you really must then start very gently and if you feel any joint pain then stop.

any physical activity will do - jogging is one of the easiest. If you were an active sportsman all your life, than your knees most probably were already damaged before you started to jog. I can't imagine that 6 months will do harm at any age or weight.

what is important with jogging is to run on an even, flat surface and possibly soft (grass, sand) or wearing soft trainers.

To slim in thailand I would choose swimming in a pool, because of the heat - but good private pools might cost a little.

I think most here are no longer spring chickens and taking up jogging in later years presents a high risk of damaging your knees.

Good point.

Each person has to gauge what their bodies can and cannot handle. I cannot job anymore. Jogging is high-impact. Also, because I'm overweight it's hard on my knees and ankles, etc.

For those that live in Bangkok or other towns with pollution, you are breathing deeper and more often when you job. Note the pollution, also.

Importance of Walking

Walking can add minutes to your life. This enables you at 85 years

old to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $7000 per

month.

My grandpa started walking five miles a day when he was 60..Now he's

97 years old and we don't know where he is.

I like long walks, especially when taken by people who annoy me.

The only reason I would take up walking is so that I could hear

Heavy breathing again.

I have to walk early in the morning, before my brain figures out

what I'm doing.. I joined a health club last year, spent about 400

bucks. Haven't lost a pound. Apparently you have to go there.

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out

with chocolate.

I do have flabby thighs, but fortunately my stomach covers them.

The advantage of exercising every day is so when you die, they'll

say, 'Well, he looks good doesn't he.'

If you are going to try cross-country skiing, start with a small

country.

I know I got a lot of exercise the last few years,......just getting

Over the hill.

We all get heavier as we get older, because there's a lot more

information in our heads.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

AND Every time I start thinking too much about how I look, I just

find a Happy Hour and by the time I leave, I look just fine.

....if your weight has increased by 20 lbs since you last did regular exercise you now have to carry this 20 lbs like a bag of sand around with you. As you get older and your body takes longer to recuperate this stress on joints as well as heart is dangerous.

....and so is sitting around and doing nothing whilst your body weight increases.

You have a choice, exercise to gain fitness and lose/maintain body weight or become a couch potato and allow your body to become virtually useless.

There is an art to jogging. Jogging on the balls of your feet or toes is preferable to plonking along on your heels. Jogging on grass or sand is preferable to jogging on a roadway. Wearing proper jogging footwear is preferable to wearing gum boots.

Continued jogging after experiencing joint pain is plain stupid.

People who have never jogged before should start slowly over a short distance and only increase the distance as their fitness level improves. If they experience any joint pain whilst jogging, they should stop, check their jogging technique and/or seek professional advice before continuing.

Use common sense. Jogging may not be for everyone but if it is fitness and/or weight loss you are seeking, then jogging is one of the fastest and best ways to achieve your goals.

Edited by Mighty Mouse

And if you are one of those like me and my ankle who for whatever reason cannot jog regularly without doing yourself further damage, consider speed walking on a treadmill or, and this is my preference, a cycle machine in a fitness club or even in your own home.

And if you are one of those like me and my ankle who for whatever reason cannot jog regularly without doing yourself further damage, consider speed walking on a treadmill or, and this is my preference, a cycle machine in a fitness club or even in your own home.

try eating less, if you jog and come back and have a big burger & fries, that don't help either. :o

I was a very active sportsman until my early forties then life changes stopped me doing much. At 50 I developed a bit of a belly and took on advice about jogging. After 6 minths I had major problems with both knees requiring surgery. Remember if your weight has increased by 20 lbs since you last did regular exercise you now have to carry this 20 lbs like a bag of sand around with you. As you get older and your body takes longer to recuperate this stress on joints as well as heart is dangerous.

Living in thailand I know we all want to look healthier and indeed a bit younger but consider this,

Walking around with a permanent limp or a stick will do even less for your image than a bit of a belly.

Just think about it and if you really must then start very gently and if you feel any joint pain then stop.

Yes, start gently/slow, but I might add a little visit/medical check with your doctor should be in order here. :o:D Good luck!!

I had not intended my post to be some anti jogging tirade.

I was simply trying to point out that when you are older it has the potential to cause damage to your joints.

Oh, yes it is important to maintain some level of exercise and definately not become a couch potato but there are other means of doing this besides jogging.

On another level it seems to me that joggers are often obsessive and perhaps that explains some of the posts.

Anyway all you old bulls, just be carefull out there.

try eating less, if you jog and come back and have a big burger & fries, that don't help either. :o

I do "eat less". My BMI is 23. However simply "eating less" will do nothing for your fitness levels. You need to find a method of exercise that raises your heart beat without exacerbating injuries to joints.

On another level it seems to me that joggers are often obsessive and perhaps that explains some of the posts.

Darn, got me in one :o Seriously, what is wrong with that? You have to be obsessive to do any sport regularly. How else would I get up at 03:30 in the morning to go jogging?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In active sports after a layoff the knees are first to go when you restart.

Due to its high impact, jogging is more likely than most activities to cause joint problems.

Jogging after the age of 50 is still not a real good idea, the shock on the heart sac is high.

You can burn just as many calories by walking. :D

Warm up by doing a complete lower body stretch work out. There are also plenty of yoga stretches that work well with this.

Interval walking: 5 min. slow pace, 5 min. fast pace, 5 min. fast march, swing arms freely don't hold them close to your chest or side. Repeat in a different order. Over time increase the time between paces.

I started with 10 minuets for a total of 30 min. I am now up to 2hours 45 min. with a 30lb backpack (wet sand) :D

Walking with 15 lb load the calorie burn is 2100.

Jogging 2 hours 45 min. is 2,226

But with the interval described above my walking is 2438 and without much stress on the joints, just a bit of pinch on the shoulders. I bought extra padding for that. :o

References from: http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-burned-walking-a506

If you regularly go jogging the most important thing is a decent pair of trainers.Much better to pay 3000 baht for a really good pair than say 1200 for a pair in the sales only to find you have to pay 10000 baht in physio fees later !

Also if you can find a soft surface like grass or sand if you are lucky enough to live near a beach.Much gentler on the joints.

I run between two and three miles about six times a week over here and I find that the exercise diminishes your appetite.

So thats a plus to go with the exercise and if you can cut down on your alcohol intake as well the weight soon comes off.

i work out 6 times a week...3 sessions are cardio focussed, 3 are weights focussed.

I used to run for all of my 3 cardio sessions, 5 kms in 25mins.

i have recently changed this to 15 mins on a bike and 15 mins running , and my sore shins have largely abated.

Hi...

The two key areas of safety that runners and joggers need to be aware of are injury and victimization. Injuries can stem from tripping on a crack in the sidewalk while jogging to being hit by a car. Very serious injuries can come from very small things, like misstepping. The second, victimization, is much less likely, but extremely dangerous. Let's see how a few easy steps can keep us clear of both of these....

• 2 weeks later...

I used to jog 5 days a week a couple of year ago when i was still in the UK, on a treadmill, for an hour at around 8km an hour. Since being in Thailand Ive gotten lazy. Although I dont want to be as obsessed about fitness as i was before, I do want to start getting fitter again. The thing that has recently concerned me about running again is a comment a relative made to me, that running, over time, will slacken facial tissue (and other parts if not wearing suitable clothing (Talking about breast (for women), and butts, etc). I laughed it off as crazy, but the thought has stuck in my mind now, and really has got me wondering about the facial tissue thing. I realise that running can have detrimental effects on joints..but can it have detrimental effects on skin? Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Strength training, especially full body interval strength training is still the most effective form of exercise for losing body fat. Of course when performed correctly, safely and under the guidance of a professional.

This creates a stimulus the continues to burn additional calories well after your training session, also knows as EPOC.

You can learn more about EPOC here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excess_post-e...gen_consumption.

Take note of the information under the title of 'Size of the EPOC effect'.

Research supports the fact that interval strength training is more effective than aerobic exercise to reduce body fat.

Dan.

Edited by FITCORPASIA

• 1 month later...

I have bad knees and used to be a distance runner. Now I walk or ride a bike.

I believe the increase gravitationally to your joints is like 5x or 6x walking when you run. It is not less and could be higher.

It is severe.

I can still sprint across Second Road in Pattaya if I have to at age 58. That is all the running I need!

• 2 months later...

As you get older lots of things can cause havoc with an aging body. You have to take more care and be aware that injuries can take a long time to repair.

I am 70 and after losing some spare kilos, I started jogging last year. My knees don't cause any problems [and i have no cartilage in one knee] but the having to condition my mind to running slowly is difficult.

More recently I have started mountain biking which I do enjoy, even if my cheapo bike is so damned heavy and a 7 year old Thai girl can ride up a trail i have to push the bike up.

Now I can walk upstairs without feeling fatigued, so the effort is worth it.

Keeping active delays aging and also I hope it keeps the grim reaper away for a lot longer

• 4 months later...

If you play golf, you'll get to meet many former soccer/rugby/U.S football players and competitive sports persons who've wrecked their bodies with hard training.

I prefer the Chinese way: 'A man needs exercise but not to the point of exhaustion'

Don't kill yourself to get fit!

Darn, got me in one :) Seriously, what is wrong with that? You have to be obsessive to do any sport regularly. How else would I get up at 03:30 in the morning to go jogging?

Believe me!! You're not the only one. I don't think anything is wrong with being motivated enough to get up everyday and do something that is good for your health.

• 1 month later...

Good point.

Each person has to gauge what their bodies can and cannot handle. I cannot job anymore. Jogging is high-impact. Also, because I'm overweight it's hard on my knees and ankles, etc.

For those that live in Bangkok or other towns with pollution, you are breathing deeper and more often when you job. Note the pollution, also.

"Each person has to gauge what their bodies can and cannot handle." I agree!

• 1 year later...

I served on Nuclear Submarines some (cough) years ago. The atmosphere on there was carefully controlled and levels of the basic life elements (Oxygen etc) were kept within strict limits. Some noxious gases were removed but small traces of some gases (can't remember which ones but I think Freon was one of them) could not be removed from the atmosphere and they gradually built up over the 9 weeks of being submerged.

My point it is this; on one patrol the Doc did a survey. He monitored 20 people. 10 carried out daily physical cardio work on an exercise bike and the control group did no exercise above their normal work. The test showed that the guys doing the physical exercise were worse of than the guys who had done nothing.

I looked out my 20th floor window this morning and could see a thick layer of yellow haze hanging over BKK. You choose...............

• 1 month later...

^^

Hi. I am in need of a knee replacement - the result of a 40 year old college rugby take down which never surfaced until about a year ago. I am in CMai, and have had my knee checked at three hospitals and x-ray'd at one. Cost with the Zimmerman joint is suggested t range from 400,000 to 600,000 Baht. Can you give more details please? I am sure others would be interested in your experience. Regards :jap:

I have played squash regularly for 35 years at State grade level in Oz and still play A grade standard now.

If anyone should have had knee problems it should have been me.

BTW Weight is 85kgs

I have never had any problems whatsoever.

Now maybe I have been lucky but I have also been careful with diet and supplements.

I have been taking been doses of fish oil and anti immflammatory anti oxidants for many years and have maintained a good diet over that time which i think has been a contributing factor to not having had any problems.

I have also done lots of weight and resistance training to strengthen the muscles about and around the knees.

I say if you start off with a good program and listen to your body you should be okay.

A good exercise regime is essential to maintain optimal health.

I even believe with the right diet and exercise regime you can undo some existing problems.