Tourist Visa Question

Ok...... A good friend of mine is trying to get his girlfriend back on a tourist visa, they have been together for 9 months and has spent half of that time with her in Thailand.

He has been very meticulous on all documents, photos, etc etc, but the only stumbling block he can see is that she has no reason to return to Thailand. As if family is not a good enough excuse!!! Ok, she does not work and has no assets. The question is, how much of a problem is this?

Your views are appreciated.

Ok...... A good friend of mine is trying to get his girlfriend back on a tourist visa, they have been together for 9 months and has spent half of that time with her in Thailand.

He has been very meticulous on all documents, photos, etc etc, but the only stumbling block he can see is that she has no reason to return to Thailand. As if family is not a good enough excuse!!! Ok, she does not work and has no assets. The question is, how much of a problem is this?

Your views are appreciated.

Well, if he is doing the application and he can see there is no reason to return, guess what the person evaluating the application is going to see... On a settlement visa he would be ok, but the whole crux of being given a visa for a short visit is showing a good reason to return to Thailand at the end. No good reason, I doubt she will get a visa.

Which country is she applying to?

If the UK then it may not be a problem. Many Thais have successfully obtained UK visit visas when they have had no concrete reason to return.

The visa officer has to be satisfied that, on the balance of probabilities, the applicant is a genuine visitor with a genuine reason to visit and so can be reasonably expected to leave the UK at the appropriate time. If the purpose is to visit someone in the UK with whom they have a long term relationship, especially if this relationship could develop into a permanent one, then this is very often sufficient.

The thinking being that the applicant would not want to jeopardise a future settlement application by overstaying a visit visa.

So, provide plenty of evidence a pertaining to the length and strength of the relationship. In his sponsors letter he should say why she is visiting the UK at this time and what their future plans together are.

As if family is not a good enough excuse

As many Thais travel long distances, including abroad, for work, leaving their children with relatives, family alone is not considered a reason to return.

Edited by 7by7

Which country is she applying to?

If the UK then it may not be a problem. Many Thais have successfully obtained UK visit visas when they have had no concrete reason to return.

The visa officer has to be satisfied that, on the balance of probabilities, the applicant is a genuine visitor with a genuine reason to visit and so can be reasonably expected to leave the UK at the appropriate time. If the purpose is to visit someone in the UK with whom they have a long term relationship, especially if this relationship could develop into a permanent one, then this is very often sufficient.

The thinking being that the applicant would not want to jeopardise a future settlement application by overstaying a visit visa.

So, provide plenty of evidence a pertaining to the length and strength of the relationship. In his sponsors letter he should say why she is visiting the UK at this time and what their future plans together are.

Good point....applying for USA, forget it!

Reason to return although a compelling factor in all things Immigration it is not the be all and end all of any application, strong family ties can go a long way to cementing an applicants visa, as long as other bases are sufficiently covered.

Moss

Join the club, same situation for me.

I have only known my girlfriend for 2 1/2 months and will be applying for a UK visa in December when it will be 6 months.

We where talking the other week and she happened to say that she had wanted to go to university but her parents could not support her.

The plan for us, she is going to enrol on a university course ahead of the visa application so she has 'reason to return' and the fact she wants to go to university. Korat university courses start in Feb/March/April for the english course she wanted to do.

The timing should work out ok, but how long the visa could be for is anyones guess.

I sponsor her so having a job should not be a problem, nearer the time i will have to sort out a decent itinery.

So far replies range from 'probably' to 'no chance' depending on whether she is applying to the UK or USA.

samesame657, if you could say which country she wants to visit then you may recieve replies specific to her situation, which would be more helpful to her then the generalisations posted so far.

Edited by 7by7

So far replies range from 'probably' to 'no chance' depending on whether she is applying to the UK or USA.

samesame657, if you could say which country she wants to visit then you may recieve replies specific to her situation, which would be more helpful to her then the generalisations posted so far.

Yeah sorry..... It`s the Uk

Thanks again

Then as I said before

Many Thais have successfully obtained UK visit visas when they have had no concrete reason to return.

So, provide plenty of evidence pertaining to the length and strength of the relationship. In his sponsors letter he should say why she is visiting the UK at this time and what their future plans together are.

Could someone help out?

I would also like to know what would be considered a strong reason to return or strong ties.

I do not think they consider employment to be one, so what is?

If not employment, home, family what is?

Have a baby?

Employment, family, money in the bank, property ownership...it all comes into play.

And even how she conducts herself at the interview. And the "story" she tells at the interview.

Much of it is subjective.

Could someone help out?

I would also like to know what would be considered a strong reason to return or strong ties.

I do not think they consider employment to be one, so what is?

If not employment, home, family what is?

Have a baby?

Your answers are all previously in this thread.

Employment, if covered in a letter from the employer and stating a job on return is reasonable evidence to submit along with other supporting docs, as long as the leave of absence is reasonable, a request for six months may be considered suspect.

As for having a baby, I do not understand the question, is the applicant taking the child with them, then on its own , no, there is no compelling reason to return and if leaving it at home, well, how old is the baby?

Good Luck

Moss

As far as i know having enrolled in a university course in Thailand and having a starting date is 'reason to return', must be a genuine course and have the intention of doing the course.

I have asked this question here before but many people on this forum live in Thailand so they either dont know the answer or just like to make smart ass coments to look good.

I have been PM 3 times offering advise and invited to phone bm's to talk through a visa application, unfortunately they dont post their advise because they do not want to be slated for what they say.

Its a shame that on the biggest forum for visa information there is so little help

Thank you for all the people that have PM me recently, your help and support is greatly appreciated.

I have had LOADS of problems with this reason to rtn to Thailand stuff....from the Mrs to her two daughters,(spanning 15 yrs).....i firstly have to say scouser is THE man you want to talk to here on Thaivisa.com for advice,.....but I would just say that 7by7 explanation of not jepordising her future sucess as she is in a long term relationship,so not overstaying may not be completely accurate....i think there would have to be far more reasons than that ......going from past experiences at appeals ect,in fact i had been advised in the past to apply for a fiance's visa instead .....but ask scouser.....PS you are probably gonna have to wait another couple of years at least,.....before any real sucess

Edited by dee123

Its a shame that on the biggest forum for visa information there is so little help

Are we reading different websites?

If you're looking for someone to provide a panacea, that is never going to happen: everyone's circumstances are different and it is up to you to interpret the general information available and apply it to your own situation.

What are you looking for? Are you searching for someone to guarantee your bird a visa? If so, you may as well go and pay one of the dodgy outfits a small fortune and not get your money back when your bird is refused.

> "...so they either dont know the answer or just like to make smart ass coments to look good..."

Huh?

I failed to see a single "smart ass coment [sic]" in any of the replies to this thread.

I would say that *you* are the ass, for asking a question, then slagging on the responders because the answers are not what you want to hear.

Go talk to "Tony"...his office is across Tanon Wittayu from the USA Embassy. I hear he can guarantee any visa to any country...

I have read that a sponsor's letter of assurance is also required. (inviting the person(s) to their country)

Is this a must?

And if so what are all the main points to cover?

Can anybody provide some brief examples?

The sponsor's letter of assurance is a must. I stated that i would provide enough funds for the return trip, cover any medical expenses and provide general daily living expenses and of course accomodation.

This seemed to be enough in my case.

Cheers, Rick

I have read that a sponsor's letter of assurance is also required. (inviting the person(s) to their country)

Is this a must?

The sponsor's letter of assurance is a must. I stated that i would provide enough funds for the return trip, cover any medical expenses and provide general daily living expenses and of course accomodation.

Cheers, Rick

As far as I am aware, your guarantee for eventual medical expenses is not enough, any more.

Your girlfriend seems to need travel insurance for the period she is staying with you.

Must be one of those European Community rules that actually makes sense.

Medical expenses covered for at least €50,000 or £ 30,000 or 1,000,000 baht

Maybe handy to take cover for accident and medical repatriation?

All the other expenses may be met from your purse.

AIG has a nice one for one year, setting you back 3300 baht for 2M accident, 1,5M medical and 2M repatriation.

She may book an organized tour to the UK and "lose the group" for a while. Many people do this.

My Thai friend, did just this his last visit to the US.....even though he owns 40 jewelry stores and lots of property....the hassle was too much for him and his family.

Is this a must?

Cheers, Rick

As far as I am aware, your guarantee for eventual medical expenses is not enough, any more.

Your girlfriend seems to need travel insurance for the period she is staying with you.

Must be one of those European Community rules that actually makes sense.

Medical expenses covered for at least €50,000 or £ 30,000 or 1,000,000 baht

Maybe handy to take cover for accident and medical repatriation?

All the other expenses may be met from your purse.

AIG has a nice one for one year, setting you back 3300 baht for 2M accident, 1,5M medical and 2M repatriation.

My wife and i have been to the UK on 6 occasions and we have never been asked for medical or travel insurance, so i don't know where you get this idea from? A guarantee letter from myself has always sufficed.

Cheers, Rick

Could it be I'm an expert at this? I got my girlfriend a tourist visa..........now we are married and living in the UK. Next I helped her friend visit her boyfriend and that went well to.

No, I'm no expert but I do have 1st hand recent experience. You need to send her a letter asking her to come and stating that you will fund the trip. She will have to get in touch with this office in BKK...... this is the link... http://www.vfs-uk-th.com/index.aspx ....and ask what they require. They will require for instance proof of your earnings, 6 months payslips etc, but they will tell her just what. Ask for two to three weeks and later (if you want) you can extend it to up to 6 months because the Visa will be for 6 months.

The office in BKK is very helpful and your girlfriend will be able to talk to someone in Thai. They are 100% genuine and connected to the Home Office, you will not be charged a fee only for the Visa.

I hope all goes well,

Robin Holmes

yes, remember that the visa official will already know very well about weak reasons to obtain visitor visa.

They will look at the application and from wide experience make their decision.

The sponsorship letter and details of the sponsors work and finance situation mean as much as hers. She should at least have a job which she can prove she has worked at for some time. The sponsor must be in work, can show consistent work history including pay slips and have a reasonable amount of savings.

Aletter from the sponsor including the above and stating you will ensure that she returns will usually do the trick.

Remember that these visa checks are primarily all about being sure that the person will not end up seeking support in the uk and for tourist visa can get back to thai, its all about money as usual. The sponsor should regard their own requirements as a kind of extra difficult credit check

She does not work, how does she support herself??? :o

Indeed.

It amazes me the number of guys whose gfs don't work. Not only that but it often seems the be the bf who has encouraged this. With the exception of mothers who have newly-borns, i can't understand why any able-bodied person wouldn't be doing something to support themselves. That these girls are not, must surely raise flags for the visa officials.

Nine months relationship also doesn't seem that long. Why don't you give it a bit longer and also wait until she has a job. Your chances would then i'm sure go up considerably.

Good luck.

Could it be I'm an expert at this? I got my girlfriend a tourist visa..........now we are married and living in the UK. Next I helped her friend visit her boyfriend and that went well to.

No, I'm no expert but I do have 1st hand recent experience. You need to send her a letter asking her to come and stating that you will fund the trip. She will have to get in touch with this office in BKK...... this is the link... http://www.vfs-uk-th.com/index.aspx ....and ask what they require. They will require for instance proof of your earnings, 6 months payslips etc, but they will tell her just what. Ask for two to three weeks and later (if you want) you can extend it to up to 6 months because the Visa will be for 6 months.

The office in BKK is very helpful and your girlfriend will be able to talk to someone in Thai. They are 100% genuine and connected to the Home Office, you will not be charged a fee only for the Visa.

I hope all goes well,

Robin Holmes

Interesting resource... Is there such a company that focuses on USA visas? Seems "too good to be true" -- but then again you may have deep pockets and that shows clearly in your documentation -- so travel visa is easy...

I think the story for the USA is very different...

Interesting discussion.

Cheers

dseawarrior

:o