Did The Russians Ruin Pattaya - Jomtien Area ?

LaoPo

Did the Russians ruin Pattaya - Jomtien Area ?

According to TAT, Thailand had 280,000 Russian tourists in 2007 and 190,000 in 2006 whilst 2005 shows just 107,000. That's quite an increase, percentage wise.

In another topic* it was, apparently, claimed by some that the Russians had ruined the Pattaya/Jomtien area. But, are ALL Russians going to Pattaya ?

Questions:

1. Is Pattaya/Jomtien ruined at all ?

2. If so, was that done by -just- the Russians and in what way ? :o

I mean, I reckon Pattaya/Jomtien has some 4 to 5 Million tourists per year (14,4 Million in 2007 to total Thailand) so how come the tourists from a certain country could be blamed by some to ruin the entire area?

Thoughts ? :D

* topic: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Tat-Explain-...73#entry2197673

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

I disagree the Russians or any other nation have ruined anywhere. Aside from Thai protesters destroying their own economy protesting in Thailand, I am happy Thailand is so multicultural. In fact, I find myself on Wong Amat beach in Naklua from time to time just to enjoy all that white skin under the guise of working on my tan. :o

IMO the Russians saved the southern end of Walking Street. After the Walking Street first came into existence, and the cars were stopped driving through, the customers at that end of the Street ( passed where Tony's is ) dropped to near zero, but with the arrival of the Russians it is booming again.

Far from ruining Pattaya, their money and custom has probably saved a lot of businesses.

Anyway, those Russian women strolling along Walking Street are gorgeous, so very welcome.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Yeah, important to note that the Russians visiting and moving to Pattaya aren't Hollywood type Russians. I've seen more moving here with their husbands or wives and 2 children, and then buying modest single detached homes without much fuss, than any moving here by themselves. Of course, some people might think that an increasing number of nuclear families "ruins" things.

:o

Edited by Heng

it was ruined well before they arrived

Typical whining about how "Pattaya ain't what she used to be" board member. There's nothing at all wrong with Jomtien and I am grateful it's there as a quick alternative to Pattaya. A change of pace and scenery. If you head down as far as soi 14, you can often find an entire cluster of empty beach chairs and that's the quietest place to be. You won't find that easily (or for long) in Pattaya. When you're done with the beach, head to the end for some decent seafood at Nang Nual or continue further up the road to visit the elephant village. Soi Welcome has some nice massage shops too. The high rises are well maintained and offer sweeping unobstructed views of the entire shoreline for about 15k/month. 2 very good steakhouse/bars on soi 9 ("Rich Man, Poor Man" being one of them). My only bother was driving over the hill at least 4 times/day so I prefer living in central Pattaya.

Ruined from what state?

The original natural state before man arrived and inhabited the area? Almost certainly if your idea of Utopia is a totally natural environment devoid of all infrastructure etc. If so I suggest you look around at your home district and ask the same question.

The sleepy little fishing village that existed up until the 1960's? Again, if that's your ideal then it has certainly been ruined. Unfortunately you'd have to put up with a 6+ hour journey to/from the airport, no wifi or broadband internet access, no satellite nor cable TV, no western style supermarkets, no beer bars, rough unmade roads (no change there then :o ) etc etc. Again, if this is the case, look around and imagine your own area as a Thai village of 50 years ago.

To return to the OP's question. No I don't think the Russians specifically have ruined the town. As somebody else has said thay have brought in much needed business. People here on ThaiVisa often complain about the rude surly Russians but I have never come across any, maybe I'm just frequenting the "wrong" places.

If any one group is guilty of ruining the town I'm afraid it has to be the Thais themselves. They build, own and operate the vast majority of the businesses in town. They build and maintain all the supporting infrastructure. They make the rules and then flaunt them openly if there is a buck to be made. They police the town maintaining law and order. They man up the city council empowered to make the place into the world class resort they are always bleating about.

Don't get me wrong, I like the place a lot but would dearly like to see it cleaned up and straightened out a bit but not too much. However I don't think any one group, particularly of foriegners, are to blame for it's current state.

IMO the Russians saved the southern end of Walking Street. After the Walking Street first came into existence, and the cars were stopped driving through, the customers at that end of the Street ( passed where Tony's is ) dropped to near zero, but with the arrival of the Russians it is booming again.

Far from ruining Pattaya, their money and custom has probably saved a lot of businesses.

Anyway, those Russian women strolling along Walking Street are gorgeous, so very welcome.

I didn't mean Tony's, sorry. More like where Soho Square is now.

the guy on koh larn with the fluro lime green g string certainly did for me :o

Not to split hairs here but on a woman it's a g-string, on a guy it's a thong.

Thanks for your attention.

No on a woman it is overdressed....on a guy it is definitely underdressed

They keep to themselves and have not bothered me as of yet .Their money is welcome in the local economy .

This is true from Klang southwards. However a good friend of mine in the MIB says the Northern end of town is now being frequented by some Russians who have contempt for all but their own and even put the shits up Pattaya's finest. :o

Agreed and smartest thing said on this thread...........Pattaya-Jomtien has gone downhill for at least the last 8 years. At least some of us remember better times before the real estate hounds came and started touting the place as a retirement haven. The last time I was in Pattaya-Jomtien (about one month ago) it seemed like a strange ghost town.........I could not believe the decline in tourism.......many of the long-stay expats have obviously left for better places. The govt. of Thailand along with the real estate hounds have ruined the place.

As I have said before, Pattaya has been ruined by the Thais, particularly the Politicians and the Police.

If the Politicians had cleaned the place up and improved the infastructure.......

If the Police had ever seriously clamped down on crime, jailed the offenders and deported the unwelcome........

:o

Edited by johnh101