Aquaponics - Anyone Doing It?

Smithson

Is there anyone playing around with aquaponics? This is the combination of hydroponics and aquaculture. If so I would be interested in a discussion.

I started a small system a while ago, but it hasn't been a great success. Apparently Pla Nin (Tilipia) are hard to kill, but I've had no trouble at all. If things improve I'll post pics of my system, but at the moment it's a bit of an embarrassment.

Things have been a bit difficult due to time restraints, but I'm hoping they will improve shortly.

It's much easier to do here than in other countries due to the warm weather, large aquaculture industry and lack of regulations. I'm not sure how viable it would be on a commercial level, but as a hobby I think it can be lots of fun and a good way to get organic vegies.

If anyone has questions or info, pls post.

We had an Italian student here for 5 months researching aquaponics for his Masters degree in Agronomy, he set up trial systems in catfish ponds, tilapia ponds and even built a floating garden on the river using water hyacinth. A lot of the current aquaponics that you see online is fairly high tech but he had researched the techniques used by the Aztecs and in Bangladesh and Myanmar as his objective was to find a low cost application for rural development.

Results were very interesting and he is now looking for support to develop the work further either commercially or with an NGO or similar and is particularly keen to come back to Thailand. He also has a Masters degree in aquaculture from the UK and worked at University of Virgin Islands which is the main center of academic research in aquaponics. Contact me to get his email address.

• 4 months later...
How is the aquaponics going now? Slow, improved, what? Any photos? I am very interested in this subject for home use only.

It's doing OK now, there's definite potential as a hobby, but you need a bit of room. My fish are in a large garbage bin, which so growth is a bit slow. I think you really need a 500lt tank min. I will try and post pics soon.

We had an Italian student here for 5 months researching aquaponics for his Masters degree in Agronomy, he set up trial systems in catfish ponds, tilapia ponds and even built a floating garden on the river using water hyacinth. A lot of the current aquaponics that you see online is fairly high tech but he had researched the techniques used by the Aztecs and in Bangladesh and Myanmar as his objective was to find a low cost application for rural development.

Results were very interesting and he is now looking for support to develop the work further either commercially or with an NGO or similar and is particularly keen to come back to Thailand. He also has a Masters degree in aquaculture from the UK and worked at University of Virgin Islands which is the main center of academic research in aquaponics. Contact me to get his email address.