Cheap Airlines, Are Two Singles Better Than One Return

davee58

Hi.

I am about to book a return ticket in advance with a cheap local airline, and have noticed that it costs about the same to book a ticket out, and a ticket back, as it does to book a return flight. Two for the price of one :o

For longhaul flights, if you do not fly out the airline automatically cancels your return ticket (b*****s).

If this is the same for the local low cost flights, it makes more sense to book two tickets, and protect the return leg even if you miss the outbound flight.

Is this a no-brainer, or am I missing something?

Cheers

Dave

Hi.

I am about to book a return ticket in advance with a cheap local airline, and have noticed that it costs about the same to book a ticket out, and a ticket back, as it does to book a return flight. Two for the price of one :o

For longhaul flights, if you do not fly out the airline automatically cancels your return ticket (b*****s).

If this is the same for the local low cost flights, it makes more sense to book two tickets, and protect the return leg even if you miss the outbound flight.

Cheers

Dave

Dave, low cost carriers work only on the principle of a one way journey which is why you always see a selection of prices for outbound flights and another selection for the return, so if you do not know when you want to come back you can just book a one way. This is much simpler than even attempting the process of changing your return which will always add to the cost. Just be sure that you are not going somewhere that requires a return ticket for immigration purposes though.

Dave, low cost carriers work only on the principle of a one way journey which is why you always see a selection of prices for outbound flights and another selection for the return, so if you do not know when you want to come back you can just book a one way. This is much simpler than even attempting the process of changing your return which will always add to the cost. Just be sure that you are not going somewhere that requires a return ticket for immigration purposes though.

And for immigration purposes the "return" ticket surely means a ticket out, not necessarily to where you came from.

One thing I have never been certain about when I visit Thailand, is whether I am completely legal, flying in on a 3 month return ticket, getting the 30 day (29 night) Thai transit visa, and then booking onward trips from Bangkok to other Asian countries.

I suspect that my return flight, or exit ticket, should, strictly speaking be within those 30 days.

And for immigration purposes the "return" ticket surely means a ticket out, not necessarily to where you came from.

One thing I have never been certain about when I visit Thailand, is whether I am completely legal, flying in on a 3 month return ticket, getting the 30 day (29 night) Thai transit visa, and then booking onward trips from Bangkok to other Asian countries.

I suspect that my return flight, or exit ticket, should, strictly speaking be within those 30 days.

I fly into BKK and often stay a couple of months.

Sometimes I fly to other countries.

Neva had any probs with immigration, just put my outgoing flite code on form.

Possibly not quite kosher, if it is not broke, dun worry.

I fly into BKK and often stay a couple of months.

Sometimes I fly to other countries.

Neva had any probs with immigration, just put my outgoing flite code on form.

Possibly not quite kosher, if it is not broke, dun worry.

I think it is Universally accepted that Thai Immigration is not a stumbling block for the

Return (Exit) Ticket requirement.

It is rather the Airline who you wish to fly with to Thailand who would most probably reject you.

Edited by WilliamIV

Hi.

Cheers

Dave

Budget Airlines do not issue "Return" Tickets.

Actually most of them do not even issue Tickets.

What you get are 2 one way bookings.

With the move to e-booking and the pronouncements of all airlines

intensions to cease issuing Tickets in the not so distant future

one wonders how "Holding a Return (Exit) Ticket" will be capable of being enforced at all.

Hi.

Cheers

Dave

Only thing I can think of is if you would get charged for 2 seperate credit card transactions.

When I book flights from the uk I can never find an airline that will either give me an open return for a decent price or the ability to book seperate inward and outward filghts without it being prohibitively expensive.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Open return tickets are not a good way to go when booking flights from UK to Thailand (or anywhere), unless somebody else is paying. Separate In / Out tickets are not the way that long haul works, typically it will cost a lot more for a one-way ticket than it does for a return ticket.

Far better to book a fixed date return ticket that allows changes for a fee.

For example, if your flight booking is for ten weeks, your ticket "level" might allow three months maximum and changes are possible for £75.

If you want to return after five weeks, or stay for twelve weeks you would contact the airline well in advance and subject to availability you pay the £75 penalty and change the return date.

If you want to stay longer than the three month ticket duration you would have to pay the difference between the three month ticket and the four or six month ticket level.

Obviously best to give as much notice as possible to the airline,

I have had no problem extending KLM flights and an Emirates flight.

Make sure that you read the t&c of your ticket, and ensure that it has the flexibility you need, and can be changed.

Cheers

Dave..