Samak Found Guilty By Court, Must Resign

george

I found this article on the yahoo Uk website which discusses the many options as to how the Thai political scene will play out.

Thailand politics

I think that its a good unbiased article.

No particular bias, but also no ability by the authors to see that all seven scenarios all add up to more of the same old song. The only public commentator who has any larger perspective on the situation is Giles Ji Ungpakorn. Here is a recent post of his over on New Mandala.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TRT/PPP is new money. Telecoms, TV, Construction with CP in tow to help it get business overseas. It is every major business group except the old banking families and those of the CPB, who are democrats through and through. They won landslide victories and went about their business signing FTA's, even proposing to change the FBA. Very scary business if your entire business relies on the protection that these acts provide.

I believe that the business people involved in PPP/TRT feel that they have a massive amount of money/power and business influence to lose (for a very long time) should Sondhi/PAD prevail and be able to deliver even 50:50 as a concept for the lower house. Could you imagine that type of a Parliament trying to debate an FTA? "Selling the country", debate closed.

Never have and never will be a guardian reader.

Unfortunately i have to disagree, based on the families i have worked for.

Some are extremely old money, and yet were very pro TRT (with seats to match) and also very pro protectionist.

I can think of several firms immediately including Chor kun chang, The Mall Group and others who are in the groups you outline and yet pro Democrat. UCom were definitely not pro Thaksin Telecoms reform or lack thereof. And I can think of the majority of firms I've ever met who are simply in the middle; neither pro nor anti.

You write as if the PPP/TRT were deregulating and threatening the livelihoods of companies unable to compete (i.e. the so called BKK elite). I simply cannot agree. Their era includes fiddling telco deregulation to severely tilt the playing field to AIS; fiddling the government banks; fiddling most media markets; monopoly for everything you can think of at the airport, monopoly for the port, restrictions on foreign retailers; opening then closing the market for foreign real estate development; extremely haphazard FTAs almost every single one of which Thailand has been effectively screwed on other than if you are one of the a few select firms such as CP.

I don't really see that as anything other than a wind back to the crony capitalism in the mid 90s, certainly less sure stepped than the deregulation program the Dems did.

If I am misunderstanding, and you believe that the TRT/PPP stepped in basically to try to stop the deregulation program of the Dems, then yes, totally agree. Led simply by the desire to stifle and prevent Telcom deregulation and independent control of the process as set out in the 1997 Constitution which everyone loves to say the coup leaders ripped up, but in reality was well into the toilet and second flush by 2006.

The 'business people' you refer to in PPP/TRT are basically the regional chao por types; the corrupt hangers on with nice deals like at the airport and the families who pretend to run stuff based on monopolies.

The real business people have been too busy not caring about who is in power since 2005 which was the point at which Thailand ceased to have any government with an interest in anything other than flogging AiS. TRT/PPP are the same families upcountry as they have always been; the big cash backing them includes a few corporates but certainly far from all of them.

I found this article on the yahoo Uk website which discusses the many options as to how the Thai political scene will play out.

Thailand politics

I think that its a good unbiased article.

No particular bias, but also no ability by the authors to see that all seven scenarios all add up to more of the same old song. The only public commentator who has any larger perspective on the situation is Giles Ji Ungpakorn. Here is a recent post of his over on New Mandala.

I think that the beauty of the article is the fact that it does 'add up to more of the same old song'. I also think that the ones of us that have been around Thailand for some years see that the only answer that will arise from this situation is the same answer as always. The country is corrupt to the core and will remain that way for many years from now.(or at least as long as the current players are alive) It's just a case that most Thais prefer 'the devil that they know'. I think that all would agree that if Taksin came back to politics in Thailand tomorrow that he would be re elected in a breath. Now that is scary!

Cheers, Rick

To me Samaks downfall (without thinking about his possible comeback TIT),was more than anything brought about by his arrogance.He upset too many people.Never seemed give the thai press any respect or time,one minute he says he's as good as serving Mr T,then scolds a CNN reporter asking him if it is true-"dont say that i find it insulting".He would have got crucified for that alone as an mp in the UK.

Then on his good days he was making speeches on tv about encouraging thais not to say kha or krawp so much,or not so sincerely earning bucket loads of money (or transport costs) for doing a tv cookery show. :o  

Its scary,very scary.

a little quote from the Nation...

Deputy Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, acting as caretaker prime minister, consulted with concerned parties and decided to use Don Mueang Airport as the office for the prime minister and his deputies as well as permanent officials.

[

Looks like they have their escape route planned. lol

or maybe they just want to be closest to the trough, in case Thaksin flies in a suitcase full of money ;-)

The latest News from TOC: PAD Announcement 21

Announcement 21/2008

People’s Alliance for Democracy

on

Continuation of Rally after Samak Sundaravej Dismissed from Prime Minister Post

The Constitution Court has delivered its ruling at 3.30 pm on Tuesday, September 9, 2008, dismissing Samak Sundaravej from the prime minister post for violating the 2007 Constitution in receiving payment for hosting television shows, ‘Chim Pai Bon Pai’ and ‘Yok Kayong Hok Mong Chao.’

The People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) held a meeting and came up with the following stance.

1. The PAD considers Samak Sundaravej as having been dismissed from his post, once again for his violation of the Constitution. He has already violated the Constitution once in approving the Cabinet resolution for the signing of the joint communiqué between Thailand and Cambodia to allow Cambodia to solely list Preah Vihear Temple as a World Heritage Site and disregarded the Constitution Court’s ruling on July 8, 2008.

These blatant violations of the Constitution, which was approved in a public referendum by 14.7 million Thais, confirms the PAD’s firm belief that Samak Sundaravej and the proxy administration does not respect the Constitution and lacks the legitimacy to administer the country.

2. The PAD continues to uphold its goals in its sacred mission to protect the Constitution to prevent it from being used as a tool to right the wrongdoings of the administration and its associates in corrupt activities and electoral fraud, to eradicate the Thaksin regime, to chase out the proxy government, and to launch new politics in the true sense of democracy with a Constitutional Monarchy.

Now that the Constitution Court has ruled that Samak Sundaravej lacks the qualifications to be prime minister, the PAD considers this ruling key in proving the legitimacy of its rally to oppose a government that has repeatedly violated the Constitution, which is the highest law of the land. Therefore, its sacred mission to exercise the people’s basic right to gather at Government House has not ended and must continue.

3. To solve this crisis and prevent the country from falling into ruins, the PAD warns the House of Representatives to support good people in coming to power and prevent evil people from gaining power. They must not propose individuals with a tainted past, who have violated the Constitution, lied to the masses, and acted as puppets to help or protest those who committed wrongdoings during the Thaksin regime to become the prime minister or ministers.

4. The PAD condemns the resolution by the People Power Party to support Samak Sundaravej in returning to the post of prime minister despite his violation of the Constitution. They are a group of politicians who are unethical and lack the legitimacy to administer the country. These politicians deliberately create conditions to further the crisis in the country.

Moreover, the PAD considers members of the People Power Party to lack the legitimacy to administer the country as they’ve violated the election law. The electoral fraud committed by the party has been forwarded to the Constitution Court by the Election Commission to consider the disbandment of the party.

5. The PAD supports proposals to reform the country’s politics from those who have good intentions to resolve the crisis as follows:

5.1 the stance of protecting the 2007 Constitution from being amended to right the wrongdoings of certain groups and their associates, from promoting the benefits for politicians, from lowering the authority or restructuring the monarchy under democracy under a Constitutional Monarchy,

5.2 the stance of clearing the problems from the evils seen during the Thaksin regime and the proxy government through the judicial process as follows:

5.2.1 speed up the various corruption cases to forward to the courts, without direct or indirect interference and confiscation of assets gained from corruption,

5.2.2. speed up the cancellation of the passports of Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife,

5.2.3. speeding up the process of their immediate extradition to Thailand,

5.2.4. announce the cancellation of the joint communiqué between Thailand and Cambodia, which gave up the rights to Preah Vihear Temple and the surrounding areas to Cambodia and protect Thailand’s sovereignty both on land and in the Gulf of Thailand with natural gas and oil resources,

5.2.5. speed up the cases and punishment of state officials and political thugs who injured the public and damaged their assets,

5.2.6. speed up the lese majeste cases involving Jakrapob Penkair, Veera Musikapong, websites, newspapers, and community radio stations,

5.2.7. stop using state media to broadcast propaganda and lies to the public and launch true media reform,

5.2.8. cancel projects with large spending and non-transparent processes that will lead the country to ruins, such as the rental of 4,000 NGV buses, the construction of the new parliament building, etc.,

5.2.9. cancel the 1999 State Enterprise Funding Bill and launch a reform and development of state enterprises for the benefit of the people and cancel the privatization of state enterprises, such as PTT,

5.3. the stance of supporting new politics to foster true democracy under Constitutional Monarchy through promoting good people to power and preventing evil people from gaining power and increase public participation in politics.

With deepest respect,

People’s Alliance for Democracy

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Government House

Deputy Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, acting as caretaker prime minister, consulted with concerned parties and decided to use Don Mueang Airport as the office for the prime minister and his deputies as well as permanent officials.

[

or maybe they just want to be closest to the trough, in case Thaksin flies in a suitcase full of money ;-)

Now that just sums up Thai politics. In what other country would you find the Government house next to the runway?

F ing unbelievable!

Hitting the ol' wallet...

Prosecutors urge state to claim Thaksin land, cash assets

BANGKOK, Sept 10 (TNA) - Thailand's prosecutors urged the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions to forfeit both land and over 772 Million Baht in cash, spent by fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Pojaman on purchasing a plot of prime Bangkok land.

Seksan Bangsomboon, chief prosecutor in the Ratchadapisek land purchase scandal case, said the prosecutors had submitted closing statement to the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions on Tuesday, saying that the couple had violated both the criminal law and the 1999 anti-corruption law.

He said the prosecutors insisted that the court forfeit the land in the prime Bangkok business area and funds of more than the 772 Million Baht the couple paid for it.

The final verdict will be handed down on September 17 and if both defendants do not attend the hearing, the court may issue another warrant for the arrest of the two, or issue the verdict in their absence, Mr. Seksan said.

The ex-prime minister and his wife jumped bail and fled to Britain directly from Beijing after attending the opening ceremony of Olympic Games in early August. They are now seeking political asylum in that country.

Meanwhile, the couple's lawyer said their legal staff who were told to suspend contesting the case on their behalf since August 15 had not presented a closing statement to the court on the land purchase case. The lawyer said he believed the defendants would not be at a disadvantage because full evidence was given to the court earlier.

[

Fly in drop off the steamer trunk and head off again.

Mission Accomplished!

I tend to disagree that this is entirely locally based.

The Chinese FTA has benefitted CP group massively who had family in TRT. I drove past 2 Lotus Supermarkets today in China. They are pushing into Oz with chicken exports. Land and House got their banking license. The first new license in 40 years. It maybe wasn't in the interest of these companies themselves to pay to be in power, but they are not stupid and I am sure realise that if PPP disappears, they have a massive amount of money and influence to lose. Maybe they will pay now.

The money doesn't have to come from Thaksin alone. Whether they dip into their own pockets remains to be seen.

I'm not quite sure what you're aiming at ? What are you trying to say or suggest ? :o

The CP Group - Charoen Pokphand- is the largest private employer and business group in Thailand and has some 350,000 employees.

Dhanin Chearavanont, chairman and CEO, is a personal friend of HM the King, and apart from that, the company is doing business in 20 different countries. Not a bad result for 2 poor brothers who started this group with a simple seed shop in Bangkok some 90 years ago in 1921.

I know there are controversies about ties, connections and allegations with almost everyone and everybody about the CP Group but with such an enormous Giant it's almost impossible NOT to have controversies, like with any Giant Corp. everywhere else in the world.

It is extremely difficult, NO: IMPOSSIBLE for Thaivisa members to find out about the real Power, ties and strings behind Thailand's velvet curtains.

99 % of the members here have never ever been in the living quarters of the real important Thai people/persons/families they are bashing upon or their opponents; let alone they've ever met them.

If they did, it's still almost impossible to learn about the real motives and day-to-day moves about and with the present Powers.

It's a constant power struggle between the 300-500 (maybe more maybe less) Elite families who are (trying) pulling ALL the strings in Thailand. Personally I have met members of 3 very important Thai families, (no: no names) but to say that I know/knew about their inter-relations, powers and who's the REAL power at that particular time ? NO.

It's just guessing and trying to give answers, whilst, at the same time the important decisions have been made already, long before the newspapers, Thai & English alike, could even possibly report about what happened...

LaoPo

r281831129.jpg

Thailand's Deputy Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, who was appointed as acting Prime Minister by the caretaker government, arrives at the Supreme Command Headquarters in Bangkok September 10, 2008. The parties in Thailand's ruling coalition met behind closed doors on Wednesday to agree a replacement prime minister for Samak Sundaravej, who was removed by the courts for hosting TV cooking shows while in office.

REUTERS

r281831129.jpg

Thailand's Deputy Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, who was appointed as acting Prime Minister by the caretaker government, arrives at the Supreme Command Headquarters in Bangkok September 10, 2008. The parties in Thailand's ruling coalition met behind closed doors on Wednesday to agree a replacement prime minister for Samak Sundaravej, who was removed by the courts for hosting TV cooking shows while in office.

REUTERS

I bet Mr Taksin is peeing himself at this very moment. Nothing better than having you brother in law, as acting Prime Minister.

The mind boggles so much for new politics.

Cheers, Rick

I tend to disagree that this is entirely locally based.

The Chinese FTA has benefitted CP group massively who had family in TRT. I drove past 2 Lotus Supermarkets today in China. They are pushing into Oz with chicken exports. Land and House got their banking license. The first new license in 40 years. It maybe wasn't in the interest of these companies themselves to pay to be in power, but they are not stupid and I am sure realise that if PPP disappears, they have a massive amount of money and influence to lose. Maybe they will pay now.

The money doesn't have to come from Thaksin alone. Whether they dip into their own pockets remains to be seen.

I'm not quite sure what you're aiming at ? What are you trying to say or suggest ? :o

The CP Group - Charoen Pokphand- is the largest private employer and business group in Thailand and has some 350,000 employees.

Dhanin Chearavanont, chairman and CEO, is a personal friend of HM the King, and apart from that, the company is doing business in 20 different countries. Not a bad result for 2 poor brothers who started this group with a simple seed shop in Bangkok some 90 years ago in 1921.

I know there are controversies about ties, connections and allegations with almost everyone and everybody about the CP Group but with such an enormous Giant it's almost impossible NOT to have controversies, like with any Giant Corp. everywhere else in the world.

It is extremely difficult, NO: IMPOSSIBLE for Thaivisa members to find out about the real Power, ties and strings behind Thailand's velvet curtains.

99 % of the members here have never ever been in the living quarters of the real important Thai people/persons/families they are bashing upon or their opponents; let alone they've ever met them.

If they did, it's still almost impossible to learn about the real motives and day-to-day moves about and with the present Powers.

It's a constant power struggle between the 300-500 (maybe more maybe less) Elite families who are (trying) pulling ALL the strings in Thailand. Personally I have met members of 3 very important Thai families, (no: no names) but to say that I know/knew about their inter-relations, powers and who's the REAL power at that particular time ? NO.

It's just guessing and trying to give answers, whilst, at the same time the important decisions have been made already, long before the newspapers, Thai & English alike, could even possibly report about what happened...

LaoPo

I am simply pushing against the idea that this is some ideal this is some major ideological push to save Thailand from disaster, but a business turf war.

I believe this is a business deal, and there have been a lot of people benefiting from TRT/PPP and others not, and that a lot of the policies benefiting these various companies would likely be removed should TRT/PPP be pushed asunder and replaced by 70:30.

The Chinese FTA agreement was amazingly controversial. Indeed many farmers are screaming blue murder about it. But a few days ago in the market I saw Thai longans and rambutans in the supermarket (no names who's) here. One example of a Thai company benefiting from the liberalisation of the Thai market. The intertwining of government and business in Thailand has been written about in many books for many years and was investigated very closely after 1997.

Thai businesses have more MP's as a percentage in parliament than any other South East Asian country. Thai Politics is Business, and vice versa on all sides.

I am very curious why has for the first time in modern Thai history a coalition been able to hold itself together under these conditions. Time was they couldn't hold a coalition together for 2 years. Is it because of a major belief in the morality of Thai democracy?

On the other hand there is plenty of evidence that a certain sector of industry is facing increasing potential for foreign competition and it would definitely be in the interests of those businesses to protect themselves for the future. They are connected too. I don't doubt that all major family business owners are close to important people, it is simply that some were allied closely to TRT/PPP and others definitely weren't, which would give logical motive to remove them.

It is indeed difficult to work out completely what is going on, but it depends who you know. And no, no names.

Where the heck IS Waldo?

Thailand in deeper crisis amid political deadlock

BANGKOK, Thailand - Thailand slid deeper into political crisis Wednesday as it searched for consensus on who should head the government after a court forced the prime minister from office for accepting payment for hosting a TV cooking show.

Amid the turmoil, ousted Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej disappeared from the public eye even as his People's Power Party vowed to re-nominate him to the post during a vote in Parliament on Friday _ a move unlikely to find favor even with some of its partners in the ruling coalition.

"The coalition partners have suggested finding an alternative person who is acceptable to all parties," Paichit Sriworakan, a PPP official, told reporters.

"So far there is no clear indication who is going to be the next prime minister," said Surapong Suebwonglee, another senior party official, told reporters. "We have to meet and talk about this."

Samak has repeatedly been a lightning rod for controversy during his four decades in politics and is once again the focus of deep divisions in Thai politics.

Samak faced stiff opposition from an anti-government group that began staging street protests just months after he won elections in December 2007. The group's supporters stormed the Government House compound on Aug. 26 demanding Samak resign, and thousands have occupied it ever since.

On Tuesday, Samak was finally forced from office when the Constitutional Court found him guilty of violating the constitution for receiving payment to host a TV cooking show while in office.

But the protesters, who call themselves the People's Alliance for Democracy, said they plan to continue their siege until it is absolutely clear that Samak, or any of his close allies, will not be reappointed.

On Wednesday, the opposition Democrat Party suggested forming a national unity government comprising all political parties.

"The best way to resolve the crisis is to form a national (unity) government in which all parties join hands for the sake of peace and national reconciliation," Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva told reporters.

"I am ready to be the prime minister if the Parliament asks me to do the job," he said, adding that he has circulated his proposal to all political parties but has not received any response.

Meanwhile, the Royalist People's Party, one of the six parties in the ruling coalition, suggested that the Democrat Party and Samak's party form a government.

The Party's Leader, Sanoh Thienthong, also urged the government to negotiate with the People's Alliance for Democracy demonstrators to end their siege of the government compound, which houses the prime minister's office.

The alliance calls Samak a puppet of deposed former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was forced from office by an army coup in 2006 and recently fled to Britain to avoid corruption charges.

There was widespread speculation among politicians that Samak would be replaced by Sompong Amornwiwat, the minister of justice in the outgoing Cabinet, which the court sacked along with Samak and is now working in a caretaker capacity.

The Democrat Party warned that returning Samak to power would inflame the country's political crisis.

"I am urging the coalition parties to rethink the idea of appointing Samak," said the party's secretary-general, Suthep Thuagsuban. "You are fueling the fire in the country and it could lead to chaos."

Newspaper editorials urged Samak to bow out.

"Reappointing Samak will only widen the rift in society and risk leading the country into chaos and a bloodbath," the Thai-language Matichon newspaper said in its editorial.

- Associated Press / 30 minutes ago

I have posted this link before, but read it and you will get an idea of what many people in Bangkok are thinking, supporters and non supporters of the PAD alike.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/JI09Ae01.html

I fail to see how the 70-30 solution benefits anyone in the long term. It is a regression of a representative form of modern democracy. Sondthi has yet to explain how this benefits the people and the country over the long run. What would stop the "70" majority from nullifying the "30" minority in every vote, and eventually voting to implement a change to eliminate the "30"?

imagesgfvevg4gr.jpg

More from the Royalist People's Party...

Sanoh Wants People Power to Shake Hands with Democrats

Veteran politician and renowned power broker Sanoh Thienthong suggested the People Power Party and Democrats should come together to form a national government. But Sanoh warns neither former prime minister Samak Sundaravej or Opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva should be nominated as the premier.

As more and more people are putting their support behind the idea of a national government, Sanoh Thienthong believes both the PPP and the Democrats should come together to form an ad hoc government. But Sanoh warns that neither former PM Samak nor Opposition leader Abhisit should assumes the post of the premier.

- TOC / today

===================================================

"national government" is also known as a "national unity government".....

imagesbnfdty444.jpgimagesbnfdty443.jpg

Meanwhile, amongst the People Power itself, it's

Conflict within People Power over Selection of New PM

Some MPs from the main ruling People Power Party have voiced opposition to the group's planned re-selection of Samak Sundaravej as Prime Minister, citing that the decision may cause the current political turmoil to worsen and dampen the government's stability.

Yasothon MP of the People Power Party and Secretary of the Coalition Partners Coordinating Committee, Pheeraphan Palusuk stated that his faction would support Deputy Prime Minister and Education Minister Somchai Wongsawat to replace Samak Sundaravej as the new prime minister.

Pheeraphan insisted that yesterday's disclosure by some factions of some party's MPs that they will re-select Samak as Prime Minister is not the group's official decision and that the group must also seek suggestions from other coalition partners.

He added that the differing viewpoints among the party's MPs over the selection of the new prime minister will not result in discord within the party or defections of coalition partners.

At the same time, PPP party-list MP, Chaowarin Lathasaksiri stated that he disagrees with the planned re-selection of Samak as prime minister, as the Appeals Court will release the ruling on his defamation case on September 25th. The Criminal Court found him guilty of defamation against a former deputy Bangkok governor.

Chaowarin said all coalition partners should be allowed to nominate their own candidates for the premier post, and he admitted that none of the party's executives have expressed their intention to re-select Samak as the new Prime Minister.

Some factions of the People Power Party reportedly held a meeting at the Prince Palace Hotel today and they are said to oppose the planned re-selection of Samak, as the move could deteriorate the current situation and cause the non-partisan people to join the anti-government campaigns led by the People's Alliance for Democracy.

- TOC / today

I find it a bit disgusting reading the threads from supposedly mature farang male flies eating off a plate of yesterdays news. What we have seen today is an honest attempt to follow the rules. Yes, it is almost laughable that while they never got square-face Thaksin cooking the books, Samak the went down for mere cooking food. But they got him for breaking a basic rule

Samak as PM did engage in a another enterprise as an employee, so says the verdict. Stop laughing, stop making jokes and kow-tow to a verdict that shows that the judiciary of Thailand finally can stand independent and proud!

Stop laughing, stop making a joke of everything happening here. Most of us here on visa.com are farang, lliving in Thailand, let us all cheer what is finally happening within the legal system, let us applaud the efforts being made!

Some of the threads disgust me! We are guests in a beatiful country, there are ways of behaviour we do not not understand, - can not understand. So what?

If you want what you're used to, go back home! Now. I suggest Thai Economy Premium, 2nd floor.

6548532low.gif

No surprise there's turmoil afoot when the likes of accused attempted murderer "The Refrigerator" are major players... even dare we say.... Leaders, in many regards... and oh yes... he's banned from politics, btw....

Yongyuth Leads PPP MP Meeting to Discuss Political Direction

The former House Speaker has taken the lead in calling for a meeting with all People Power Party MPs to discuss their political future, while rejecting the reported plan to join the Democrat Party in forming the new government.

Former PPP executive and House Speaker Yongyuth Tiyapairat admitted that he has scheduled a meeting for all party MPs at a Bangkok hotel, to discuss the political direction.

Yongyuth was banned from politics for five years after the Constitution Court found him guilty of electoral fraud earlier this year.

The People Power Party may share the same fate, as the Election Commission is to submit its party disbandment suggestion to the court on the same grounds.

Yongyuth told reporters that the current problem is bigger than just political party business, but the future of Thailand needs all MPs to help find a solution.

He denied that at today's meeting, a plan to join the opposition Democrats in forming the new government would be raised.

Meanwhile, Deputy Government Whip Chief, Paichit Sriworakan said before the government whip meeting, that the suggestion to re-elect Samak Sundaravej as the prime minister again is merely an opinion, not the party's resolution.

He said that such a decision first requires the majority of votes from party members, while all northeastern MPs have agreed that the person elected to lead the government must be the least controversial man in the eyes of Thai society.

Paichit conceded that the re-instatement of Samak would likely bring about more opposition and conflict.

Moreover, Paichit, who is also the Isaan Pattana faction leader, admitted to having held talks with members of the Democrat Party but denied that the talks centered on their support to form the new government.

PPP Deputy Leader, Somchai Wongsawat said that after his talk with the Chart Thai Party leader, he will meet with Pracharaj Party leader, Sanoh Thienthong about what the government is now facing.

He added that the People Power Party has yet to talk with its allies about who should be elected as the new prime minister in the next few days.

- TOC / today

Stop laughing, stop making a joke of everything happening here. Most of us here on visa.com are farang, lliving in Thailand, let us all cheer what is finally happening within the legal system, let us applaud the efforts being made!

Efforts? You mean the country's government and legal system being in absolute chaos?

What Sondhi really wants for Thailand

http://atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/JI09Ae01.html

Sondhi: The 70%-30% is only a model. The whole thing is happening in a vicious cycle because we are in the old politics. What I'm saying is, let's find a way to customize democracy which would fit Thailand. Let's not get democracy as you would go to McDonalds and order a hamburger, because democracy is still a Western export.

HatYaiRailStation.jpg

And the trains have still remained stopped at the Hat Yai Rail Station...

Southern Rail Strike to Continue

The southern rail strike continues with the state enterprise labor union's resolution to oust the government and to oppose the People Power Party voting for party leader Samak Sundaravej to return to the prime minister post after the Constitution Court forced him to step down yesterday.

The southern rail service strike continues after the state enterprise labor union agreed to continue its move to oust the government.

The State Railway of Thailand or SRT labor union chief to the Hat Yai Office, Saroj Rakjan, said the ongoing strike follows the SRT labor union's resolution to show support for the People's Alliance for Democracy and to call for the government and the SRT to consider solving the organization's problems for workers.

Despite the Constitution Court ruling unanimously yesterday to terminate Samak Sundaravej's premiership due to his hosting of two TV programs, the SRT labor union believes the court's verdict is merely one success in the struggle against the government. The group will continue its movement until the government resigns.

As revealed by Saroj, the southern train line is the only rail that has stopped its services at this time, after a 13-day rail strike from August 28th to September 9th.

He says that as long as the government is still holding tight to its power without moral concern, especially in its attempt to vote Samak back into the premiership, the state enterprises labor union strike will continue.

The SRT labor union will keep a close eye on the government's movements and expects the political situation will become clear by the end of the week.

- TOC

===========================================

ok, ok...That's not really the Hat Yai Rail Station, but as a train lover, can't one dream?

Actually, it's:

Japan’s Hybrid Trains

Japan is making plans to introduce hybrid trains into their transportation systems. Today they are introducing a two-car diesel-electric hybrid train. It has a diesel engine, two electric motors underneath each car and lithium ion batteries on the roof. The train runs on its batteries until it encounters a hill or the batteries begin to run out and then the diesel engine kicks in.

http://keetsa.com/blog/green/green-transpo...-hybrid-trains/

WALDO'S BEEN FOUND !! :D :D :P:o

but it's at a crematorium :(:D :D :D

Samak chairs cremation of Government House official

Disqualified prime minister Samak Sundaravej chaired the cremation of a late Government House official at a Bangkok temple Wednesday evening.

He chaired the cremation of Somsak Boonkrob at Wat Bueng Thonglang at 5 pm.

He declined to reply when reporters asked him whether he would accept the post of prime minister again.

- The Nation