Samak Found Guilty By Court, Must Resign

george

Dont know excatly where this leads, but in the meantime these thais are teaching farang courts how to deal with the law !

When is the last time a PM has been convicted of anything in farangland ?!?

++ ^^

What a joke since when does any other country have politians that are crooked

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets see if he is arrogant as DR T? if he tries to walk in again though the backdoor then we have the September 25th decision which may not weight lightly on him. If he is gracious and allows other factions to take the lead, then the judges may be lenient or do a famous Thai postponement of judgment.

Though I do have a theory that his allegiance has just been changed to higher forces and is staging a play for their effect.

Who is correct?

Today's Bangkok Post:

Sacked Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has accepted the People Power party's decision to nominate him again on Friday to lead the government, according to high ranking sources in the coalition parties.

Today's Nation:

The PPP leader, who disappeared from public view since returning from Udon Thani in the afternoon, can still be voted back as prime minister by the ruling PPP, but analysts view the chance as rather small.

Just to bring many of you "up to speed". On September 25th, Samak is due to appear before the Supreme Court on his appeal to his 2 year jail sentence for defamation (no suspension of sentence allowed). In all likelihood his appeal will be denied, and he'll be whisked off to the slammer. (or skip town, etc) Second, the PPP is living on borrowed time, as it is a certainty the Constitution Court will dissolve them

The government is just buying time until they finish voting on all the budget matters still pending, and then the house will be disolved. All the PPP MP's will join the Puea Thai party, (Except those party execs who will be banned for 5 years, another forgone conclusion) and there will be another election, most likely early next year.

So, it really doesn't matter if he gets reappointed this week or not. He'll be gone soon enough. The rumblings coming my way say that the entire events upcoming in the next few weeks have been scripted already, and agreed upon by all parties involved.

Thanks for confirming this. Excellent.

JUST THINKING OUT LOUD HERE....

I was wondering if this "I'll have the green salad for starters" decision was about before the full on "main steak course" decision on defamation.

Stopping yer man Samak from nipping off to the UN and arguing for a delay on 25th appeal decision.

Therefore it could be that in 2 weeks Thailand's legal system may be seen by the world to be as smart as it can be.

That is yesterday was about setting up the position for negotiation / future actions.

- Seeing Samak isn't PM may make it easier to pass a decision

- Maybe it is setting up a bargaining position... Samak, you go quietly and we reduce the sentence?

I remember many laughed when Gary Glitter was allowed on a plane from Bangkok to Hong Kong. In the background the Thai authorities were setting him up, keeping him in the air, and buying time for his return flight to Bangkok and the "sorry pal... off to the UK you go."

In my years in Asia I have learnt that a smile to your face and a knife in the back is as effective as a smack in the mouth. Probably more so.

One week is a long time in politics. 30 days is .....

Edited by Splatter

Dont know excatly where this leads, but in the meantime these thais are teaching farang courts how to deal with the law !

When is the last time a PM has been convicted of anything in farangland ?!?

++ ^^

Dont think they have convicted a PM in Farangland, Most certainly not for cooking on T.V. If that's the best you can do to support a vote of no confidence, then its a comody act. In Farangland we worry about our PM getting on with the business of running the Country. Oh and in every Country there are those that dont like or want the PM/President/ Government they have, but then thats democracy, look it up in a dictionary, should give you a definition.

Talk about embarrassing for Thailand! On the 4 pm BBC World bulletin everyone including the

Southeast Asia correspondent as well as Jonathan Head in Bangkok were shaking their heads

in disbelief that the prime minister of a country has been brought down by a cooking show !!

They even used the word " bizzare " to describe such a situation.

They admitted that they've even given up speculating how this will work out eventually

but he was concerning that Jonathan Head commented there is a risk this will not

resolved peacefully this time.....................................

It really does look dreadful that a country that has attracted so much foreign investment in the past

appears to be in such a muddle !

This is a fun place to live but it just reinforces my belief that it's too risky to invest

one satang in this Disneyland !

"Thailand has had its fair share of crises recently, but this is one that even the Thais are baffled by, our correspondent says."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7605838.stm

Thailand has exposed itself it has outgrown the path to democracy into a real

BIZARRE BANANA REPUBLIC

The whole world is laughing and even Hollywood and Bollywood couldn't have written such a script.

Can anyone imagine what the world leaders are talking about today to each other ?

Poor Thailand, they lost face to the whole governance world; what's next ? :o

LaoPo

loose face NO NO No !!!

I believe this will be set as an example that in Thailand even the PM is not above the law. and when a PM does something wrong he pays for it with his JOB...

or do you prefer other "world leaders" who have not lost positions when they did something wrong. and never even faced a court..

Well done Thailand... the first country in the world to show that even on simple matters the PM is not above the law..

its now becoming a world trend to have politicians understand that they are not above the law and that good honest citizens will not take anymore sh*t , corruption and leaders who utilize the position for personal gain.

the last examples are

Israseli PM on charges of bribe

Irish Pm payment scandals

candian Pm leaking scandal

finland PM sex scandal

and the least goes on.....

Thailand is sending a very clear message to the world a PM is not above the law. No One is above the law and no matter how trevial it is even hosting a coocking class.. you break the law you loose your job.

I think you forgot to add US president and UK Prime Minister (now ex Prime Minister) on fabricating reports of weapons of mass destruction, i.e. Deceit.

You clearly have no idea how democracy works in European countries. In any European parliamentary democracy Samak and his government would send home already a long time by a vote of distrust in the parliament.

In any functional democracy Samak would have been axed as PM by his own party shortly after becoming a liability or a logjam. He's definitely not working out as a leader so why do the coalition continue to put up with him? Maybe there are financial incentives streaming in from the UK?

News Flash

Thailand to appoint new Prime Minister.

After a successful campaign and having his image on the tee shirts of 50% of the population Thailand has finally found someone capable of governing the country without corruption.

m017.gif

:o

Edit: image didn't work first time

Edited by RigPig

It has been said on the BBC news the Samuk will be reappointed by his cabinet, it's a joke that a PM can be forced to resign only to be reinstated as PM by his cabinet, what's the point of having him resign if only to make this country an even bigger laughing stock to the rest of the world than it already is.

Sounds like a weak case, however the last coup was about rewriting the constitution and a big part of that was getting rid of corruption within the government. So by not charging Samak, the courts will start to lose credibility if they don't stictly enforce the laws of the land. This is crucial in acheiving a strong democracy.

It was well rewritten wouldn't you say, as he can be reinstated with immediate effect :o

Lets see if he is arrogant as DR T? if he tries to walk in again though the backdoor then we have the September 25th decision which may not weight lightly on him. If he is gracious and allows other factions to take the lead, then the judges may be lenient or do a famous Thai postponement of judgment.

Though I do have a theory that his allegiance has just been changed to higher forces and is staging a play for their effect.

He got the 2 year sentence, with no probation for defamation

because it is FAR from his only defamation charge,

he is a serial defamer and laughed at the courts publicly

and ignored their edicts to stop.

They final threw the book at him.

On the 25th unless someone REALLY, REALLY LOVES him,

he is right off to jail, no questions, no further appeals etc.

I might want to spend my last few weeks of freedom

NOT fighting with PAD and the powers that be,

but enjoying some of life's pleasures,

that I am like to be denied shortly.

Thing is I think he LIKES fighting like this

and has few other pleasures besides cooking.

Edited by animatic

Deputy PM and Education Minister Somchai Wongsawat will act as PM for the time being.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/100908_News/10Sep2008_news01.php

The new PM Somchai...

51951.gif

The old PM Thaksin...

thaksin003.jpg

The women that connect them...

thaksinsister.jpg

Thaksin's sister and Somchai's wife, Yaowapa, (right) and her daughter, a People Power Party MP (left)

*edit: Yaowapa herself is one of the Thai Rak Thai Party executives banned for 5 years for electoral fraud.

Edited by sriracha john

Thaksin's sister and Somchai's wife, Yaowapa, (right) and her daughter, a People Power Party MP (left)

*edit: Yaowapa herself is one of the Thai Rak Party executives banned for 5 years for electoral fraud.

There's nothing like a bit of nepotism and inbreeding to improve the quality of management :-)

I wonder will the Generals stand idly by and allow Samak to be returned to the position of PM after the Courts have found him guilty and so unfit to hold that position.

Guilty is a verdict rendered in criminal trials and this wasn't a criminal trial. Do you understand? If one loses a civil suit, one is held liable, responsible in law, not guilty.

What was decided upon was whether or not his activities as a Chef providing a discussion of Thailand's culinary delights violated the law in respect to "outside" employment. It was a constitutional matter. Period.

The Generals should be worried, because the court set a precedent. If a PM can be obliged to resign from an activity far removed from conflict of interest, then all those members of the military wealthy family cabal had better be worried, because it means that the old days of owning a company that bids on a contract or of gaining monies from public disbursements can now be called into question. Pandora's Box is now opened.

The lucky husband of the lovely Yaowapa is in...

Deputy Prime Minister to take place of PM for now

Permanent Secretary of the Prime Minister's Office Julayuth Hiranyawisit revealed that it is not necessary at the moment to elect an interim Prime Minister as the government may operate according to the PM's command 197/2551 which transfers his authority and responsibilities to his deputy.

The PM's authority has been entrusted to Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Education Somchai Wongsawas as approved by a Cabinet meeting previously on the 2nd of September.

Julayuth assured that the administration would not experience any obstacles in their work and that Somchai may excercise all the duties of the premier.

The Cabinet meeting on the 2nd of September had approved a list submitted by the Office of the Prime Minister's Secretary-General which delineated the PM's authority to his deputies in the following order:

1. Somchai Wongsawas

2. Surapong Suebwonglee

3. Kowit Watana

4. Sahas Bunditkul

5. Sanan Kajornprasart

6. Mun Pattanotai

- ThaiNews / 2008-09-10

Speaking of Thaksin, at least his argument that he'd never get a fair trial in Thailand will sound a LOT more credible now in the UK. :o

If courts can do this, they can do anything.. what a bunch of clowns.. It'd be funny if it didn't make Thailand look so hopeless and sad.

Sorry, but If I were a UK judge, I would see this as a clean reading of law.

Samak just didn't take good advice to back off, and his arrogance bit him in the butt.

Try and forget the cooking show angle

and remember the Media Company's payments to a sitting Prime Minister.

It is not far fetched to imagine a media company has potential benefits,

with making payments to a PM, small or large, since a PM is over the regulatory bodies

for TV and radio and press. The IS a CLEAR conflict of interest.

THESE are the several points the court dwelt on.

Edited by animatic

and whenever they get around to selecting a replacement for Somchai, it won't be Banharn...

Banharn will not take premier post if nominated

Chart Thai Party leader Banharn Silpa-archa insists he will not take the prime minister's post if nominated.

He admits he cannot get the country's civil strife solved.

Banharn suggests that to get the problems solved, all sides should compromise. He also has not yet expressed his party’s political stance if other political incidents occur in the future. He says it is not the right time for his party to express their opinions to the incidents, and urges all sides to be patient.

Banharn dismisses discussing with other parties in the coalition, and urges them to wait for the Constitutional Court’s final verdicts and see the stance of each other.

He also dismisses the news saying he contacted the former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, and he wished to form new government from other five coalition parties.

- ThaiNews / 2008-09-10

The lucky husband of the lovely Yaowapa is in...

Deputy Prime Minister to take place of PM for now

Permanent Secretary of the Prime Minister's Office Julayuth Hiranyawisit revealed that it is not necessary at the moment to elect an interim Prime Minister as the government may operate according to the PM's command 197/2551 which transfers his authority and responsibilities to his deputy.

The PM's authority has been entrusted to Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Education Somchai Wongsawas as approved by a Cabinet meeting previously on the 2nd of September.

Julayuth assured that the administration would not experience any obstacles in their work and that Somchai may excercise all the duties of the premier.

The Cabinet meeting on the 2nd of September had approved a list submitted by the Office of the Prime Minister's Secretary-General which delineated the PM's authority to his deputies in the following order:

1. Somchai Wongsawas

2. Surapong Suebwonglee

3. Kowit Watana

4. Sahas Bunditkul

5. Sanan Kajornprasart

6. Mun Pattanotai

- ThaiNews / 2008-09-10

In the event that I am indisposed, or disposed of,

these are my political decendants in order of importance.

Looks like maybe he DID have a clue before he went to the CC.

Of course HIS executive order is a bit dodgy too.

Done under emergency decree too. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

These guys REALY, REALLY want to jigger the budget their way,

before getting the axe.

Edited by animatic

Speaking of Thaksin, at least his argument that he'd never get a fair trial in Thailand will sound a LOT more credible now in the UK. :o

If courts can do this, they can do anything.. what a bunch of clowns.. It'd be funny if it didn't make Thailand look so hopeless and sad.

Samak just didn't take good advice to back off, and his arrogance bit him in the butt.

with making payments to a PM, small or large, since a PM is over the regulatory bodies

UK judges aren't stupid... believe me.

Deputy PM and Education Minister Somchai Wongsawat will act as PM for the time being.

Continued here:

The new PM Somchai...

51951.gif

The old PM Thaksin...

thaksin003.jpg

thaksinsister.jpg

*edit: Yaowapa herself is one of the Thai Rak Thai Party executives banned for 5 years for electoral fraud.

this pro-thaksin government is sickening! they are like virus that cannot be cured they keep on coming back. now the brother in-law? give me a break...

Continued here:

The new PM Somchai...

51951.gif

The old PM Thaksin...

thaksin003.jpg

thaksinsister.jpg

this pro-thaksin government is sickening! they are like virus that cannot be cured they keep on coming back. now the brother in-law? give me a break...

This goes to the core of why PAD is doing it's thing.

Sometimes when your computer has a BAD virus,

you must erase back down to Ones and Zeros,

reinstall OS, and reboot from the ground up.

The case would never come to court in the UK or any country where the court system is not politically manipulated (as has always been the case in Thailand).If it by any chance it did the judge would rebuke the prosecuting authorities for a frivolous and time wasting action.In the UK if it seemed a minister was in breach of regulations, however trivial, the civil service machine would warn the offending minister and the matter would be nipped in the bud.In the case of the PM this warning would be carried out by the Cabinet Secretary.

As to the previous poster's point, yes this development -as if further proof was needed -is compelling evidence for Thaksin's British lawyers that the Thai judicial system -how to put this politely -may not quite measure up to the standards expected in the West.