• Up through Nakhon Sawan
    • Up through Suphan Buri
    • Up through Kanchan Buri
    • Up through Lop Buri
    • Up through Chaiyaphum
    • Up through Korat
  2. 2. Travel Time

• Bring it on, I can do it in one day!
    • Give my poor butt a break, let's stop for a night.
    • I know of a good hotel along the route that I voted for.
    • The route I voted for passes by my house and I'm offering a place for the riders to stay at.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, we're at the magical 13 day mark.

How many do we have as definite? Any more willing to abuse themselves and see parts of Thailand they have not experienced yet? Any objections to shacking up at Mae Sot on the night of the 21st and doing the Umphang run early morning of 22nd?

I am looking more likely.. Probably 80% or so..

Family commitment body swerved.. GF birthday pass arranged.. But I do have something I cant know will work out 17 / 18 to free me up to depart.. I might not know until right up to the last minute..

As to routes and plans.. I will have to steam Phuket to Bangkok or Hua Hin / Cha Am in a day.. Would personally prefer to not have too many 700kms 10 hours in the saddle days on the trot.. Want to enjoy the ride. All in all tho I am easy (so they keep telling me) and will go along with whatever.

I am looking more likely.. Probably 80% or so..

Family commitment body swerved.. GF birthday pass arranged.. But I do have something I cant know will work out 17 / 18 to free me up to depart.. I might not know until right up to the last minute..

As to routes and plans.. I will have to steam Phuket to Bangkok or Hua Hin / Cha Am in a day.. Would personally prefer to not have too many 700kms 10 hours in the saddle days on the trot.. Want to enjoy the ride. All in all tho I am easy (so they keep telling me) and will go along with whatever.

Good to hear back from at least one person.......

If you could get into BKK on the 19th, that gives your poor bum a rest when we go up to the dyno on the 20th.

Thats highly unlikely.. I see it as a last minute tear up on the 20th to meet everyone morning of 21st outside BKK where the 4 (??) terminates.. Not too keen to ride into the big mango anyway.

Will make sure the bike gets a service and oil change this week.. Prep everything in case..

So, we're at the magical 13 day mark.

How many do we have as definite? Any more willing to abuse themselves and see parts of Thailand they have not experienced yet? Any objections to shacking up at Mae Sot on the night of the 21st and doing the Umphang run early morning of 22nd?

Sorry to say I'm stuck offshore until the 24th so I have to pass which really feels bad, I was really looking forward to this trip :o

Hope to catch up with you before you leave LOS Dave.

Cheers Bard

Dyno. Check. Mae Sot. If that's the destination for day 1 OK. How many hours? Right now only Shell selling 95 gasoline.

ummh, according to my figures, it's a bit over 1000 kilometers from Bang Pu. Sounds like a lot, but shouldn't be too bad; we'll hit some really nice scenery along the way.

Thats highly unlikely.. I see it as a last minute tear up on the 20th to meet everyone morning of 21st outside BKK where the 4 (??) terminates.. Not too keen to ride into the big mango anyway.

Will make sure the bike gets a service and oil change this week.. Prep everything in case..

Sounds like a plan; perhaps meet up at the 323 & 4 intersection? I'm going to pm every commited rider (and even Bard!) my Thai cell #. Should help co-ordinate things once I arrive on the 18th.

Definitely going:

• BigBikeBKK {Kawaski Ninja 250}
  • Meridian007 {Honda Steed 600}
  • thaicbr {Honda CBR 250RR}
  • prestburypark {Honda CBR 150R}
  • dave_boo {Kawasaki Ninja 250}
  • dotcom {Yamaha V-Max or Honda CB400} Part of the way anyways.

Possibly going (and possible conflicts):

• LivinLOS (family in town) {Bandit 4 or Honda Fireblade 900} 80% chance of going
  • Crow Boy (schedule) {unknown?}

Cool cool- the Iron Butt is still on and departure day is fast approaching.

Did I read that post right? I'm not sure what route is planned but personally I think 1000km in a day is pushing it... I'll go with whatever the majority decides though.

Can you post a summary of the planned route? Thanks!

Cool cool- the Iron Butt is still on and departure day is fast approaching.

Did I read that post right? I'm not sure what route is planned but personally I think 1000km in a day is pushing it... I'll go with whatever the majority decides though.

Can you post a summary of the planned route? Thanks!

Still on, even if I have to ride it by myself!

1000 km is a long way; I just wanted to get on up to Mae Sot and do the Umphang run early; if that's going to be a problem we can change the times.

Starting off down the Suhkhumvit to Rama IV and hang a left on Sathon Tai. I believe that turns into Kanlapaphruek. Turning North on Charan Sanitwong, and then West on Hwy 4 to 323.

From Si Sawat I want to go up to Wang Yao and on from there to Ban Rai. Travel is going to result in 129.9 km and 2 hours 59 min (totals of 422.9 km and 7 hours 50 min).

roadtrip_3.jpg

(don't think this is an actual picture from the area, but these are the type of roads we'll be on)

There are some interesting roads to go from Ban Rai, but if we do, we're going to reach a destination that we have to backtrack from. So, assuming everyone's hungry/sleepy, we'll go up from Ban Rai to Lan Sak, which has a hotel. That's going to give us a ride of 63 km and 1 hour 17 minutes (totals of 485.9 km and 9 hours 7 minutes).

img-resized.png Reduced: 80% of original size [ 640 x 480 ] - Click to view full image02117_011.jpg

(a picture of the entrance to the world heritage site just up the road from Lan Sak.

If we do shack up for the night, we can head out in the morning after a hearty meal. Going up from Lan Sak, we'll pass through Kampheng Phet and Tak on the way to Mae Sot. This should get us there in time for lunch or there abouts with travel time being 271 km and 5 hours 3 min (total 756.9 km 14 hours 10 min).

img-resized.png Reduced: 64% of original size [ 800 x 483 ] - Click to view full imageMaesot4.jpg

(a Mae Sot Road)

Skirting along the Burmese (Myamarese?) border via 105 will take us up to Mae Yuam. Travel time being 230 km and 3 hours 28 minutes (total 986.9 km 17 hours 38 minutes).

Hanging a right on 108 (which co-incidentally enough was the designation of the State Route I grew up on in the US!) we'll head up to Chiang Mai. A pretty quick run, only 189 km and 3 hours 30 minutes. (total 1175.9 km 21 hours 8 minutes).

This should be one hel_l of an interesting trip whatever happens - lots of different riders / bikes / plans / ideas, & is surely going to be a great trip report.

Whatever you end up doing, don't forget you’re a group & need to look after each other.

Before you set off know your fuel / eat / drink stops & your destination / hotel for the night. Otherwise the left hand won’t know what the right hand is doing & it will end up being an absolute shambles; with some riders joining the farkawee hill tribe, hot under the collar. And you don’t want this because your intentions are good.

Mae Sot – Umphang – Mae Sot – Mae Sarieng – Chiang Mai in a day does not work unless you want to ride in the dark & cold. Even Mae Sot – Umphang – Mae Sot – Mae Sarieng in a day is a BIG ride.

Early mornings probable fog & cold, dark & cold by 6.15pm.

Whatever, best of luck, enjoy the ride & know your limits.

Edited by davidgtr

Thanks David, I know from experience in the west that the "little things" need to be planned out beforehand or the ride becomes miserable.

For those of you following Dave's route over the river from Sathorn, might I suggest Ratchapruek to take you up to Boromarachachonnani (say that 3 times fast!) and west to the 323? I've highlighted Dave's route in red, with my suggestion in blue. I've never travelled that part of the 4, but I know Ratchapruek is my favourite North/South route around here to get out of the big smoke. Boromarachachonnani is somewhat intense until you get out near BuddhaMonthon, but if you feel lucky you could always take the right-hand side of the road instead of the access road (no lights, but really not so legal. I've done it a few times without problems, because it's much safer riding than the access road).

e5582be7b45dfb23d5d1998c72dc86ba6g.jpg

Because of the rain lately, I haven't been on the bike much, but I've noticed some clutch plate slippage, and backfiring from the carbs I want to get fixed before we go (the joys of a 15 year old bike). Hopefully my mechanic isn't too busy, but I see tonnes of bikes in his shop right now. We'll see how it goes!

What time are we meeting at the junction of the 4 and 323? What day are we returning? I really hope I can get everything together for this, it sounds like it'll be great!

Edited by Meridian007

My plans, IF they work, is to hang out in CM for a while.. Fly the missus up on the 23rd or 24th.. Have a week with her doing the mountain roads and being tourists, shes never been to CM and I havent got out to CR / Pai etc..

I am also toying with the idea of returning via Laos and Cambo !! I have to be back by around the 7 to 10 at latest.. Not sure if thats trying to put too much in but will decide once it happening.. nothing fixed..

Hiya Dave,

Thanks- I guess I misread your previous post. You said "ummh, according to my figures, it's a bit over 1000 kilometers from Bang Pu." Now, if I'm understanding you correctly that's TOTAL distance to CNX over 2 days, right? Not 1000km all in one go, right? :o

I started plotting the route based on some of the place names you provided. Is this what you're thinking about for Day One?

Bangkok to Lan Sak

BKKtoLanSak.jpg

From Bangkok that's an easy ~350km ~5 hour ride. :D

Then Day Two:

Lan Sak to Chiang Mai via Mae Sot

LanSakChiangMaiViaMaeSot.jpg

Day two will be about 700 km on mostly slow roads... Google Maps is putting travel time at 12 hours... While I'm sure it can be done in a day do you WANT to do this in a day? Like DavidGTR said- Early mornings probable fog & cold, dark & cold by 6.15pm. (David is the owner of GT Rider Golden Triangle Rider and I think we would do well to listen to his sage advice.)

What would you say to stopping at Mae Yuam on Day Two? That will shorten the days ride to 512km. An estimated 8 and a half hours in the saddle.

Then we can roll into Chiang Mai on Day Three:

MaeYuamCNX.jpg

Mae Yuam to Chaing Mai is only 200km which will leave us with time and energy to spare if we feel like doing any of the loops around Chiang Mai in the afternoon. I think this would be a much safer and more enjoyable way to go. What do you think?

Happy Trails!

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Thanks David, I know from experience in the west that the "little things" need to be planned out beforehand or the ride becomes miserable.

For those of you following Dave's route over the river from Sathorn, might I suggest Ratchapruek to take you up to Boromarachachonnani (say that 3 times fast!) and west to the 323? I've highlighted Dave's route in red, with my suggestion in blue. I've never travelled that part of the 4, but I know Ratchapruek is my favourite North/South route around here to get out of the big smoke. Boromarachachonnani is somewhat intense until you get out near BuddhaMonthon, but if you feel lucky you could always take the right-hand side of the road instead of the access road (no lights, but really not so legal. I've done it a few times without problems, because it's much safer riding than the access road).

e5582be7b45dfb23d5d1998c72dc86ba6g.jpg

Because of the rain lately, I haven't been on the bike much, but I've noticed some clutch plate slippage, and backfiring from the carbs I want to get fixed before we go (the joys of a 15 year old bike). Hopefully my mechanic isn't too busy, but I see tonnes of bikes in his shop right now. We'll see how it goes!

What time are we meeting at the junction of the 4 and 323? What day are we returning? I really hope I can get everything together for this, it sounds like it'll be great!

Thanks for the update. I'm very open to suggestions; especially in that part of the country since I don't know it. I need to get the information from Pestbury Park and BigBikeBKK about when we're leaving out to head your way; sounds like dotcom is up to riding part of the way and he lives not that far from where I'll be starting my trip from.

davidgtr: thanks for the practical advice. As I mentioned earlier I am quite foolhardy when it comes to pushing myself past what would generally be considered sane. So I DO need those people that will pull me back to reality and point out that sort of stuff.

So, LivinLOS; are you a gaurantee for the ride? Where did you want to meet up?

BigBikeBKK, I had slightly modified the plans; was thinking about getting a brunch in at Sri Sawat, than hitting the twisties up around Ban Rai. This is my stomping grounds and I know the area rather well; however it adds some 75 kilometers to that leg. We can make excellent time. If you (and others) were looking at stretching the ride out into 3 days, it would probably be easier on everyone. Also would let us do the Lan Sak-Mae Sot-Umphang-Mae Sot on day 2. Mae Sot to Chiang Mai via Mae Yuam is only ~420 km, quite doable.

So, LivinLOS; are you a gaurantee for the ride? Where did you want to meet up?

As I said in the PM.. I am not 100% yet.. More like 80 plus, but fact is I wont be 100% until I have some stuff confirmed right up to the last minute 17 or 18.. So early next week I will know !!! Bikes getting serviced and everything else is in order, will just be a last minute confirm and need to book GF's plane tickets..

My plan as much as I have one.. Would be a dawn departure on the 20th from HKT, making it to Hua Hin or Cha Am for that evening, then timing any early departure to be about right for meeting you guys morning of the 21 at the 4 / 323 junction or the next eastbound petrol station or noodle stop. I am guessing I can fly straight up the 4 at about the same time it takes you guys to escape Bangkok so meeting around that area towards Ban Pong.

Also have to say I want to see some clear weather, today is the first day it hasnt been very wet down here and have little desire to spend days and 1000's of kms in the saddle if thats the picture.. Of course early nov often has rains and usually dries by late Nov so fingers crossed all will be fine. Sounds weak but I will have an eye on the forecast.

Any plans on where your staying in CM ?? Have rooms known about on route ?? Getting to be details time..

Would help me if we do plan if its 2 or 3 days as I need to book GF's travel around that.. I think 2 days is OK if we crack on early on day 1 and stop mae sot without many side trips.. If we do much in the way of additional kms it makes some very full days.

Thanks for the update. I'm very open to suggestions; especially in that part of the country since I don't know it. I need to get the information from Pestbury Park and BigBikeBKK about when we're leaving out to head your way; sounds like dotcom is up to riding part of the way and he lives not that far from where I'll be starting my trip from.

davidgtr: thanks for the practical advice. As I mentioned earlier I am quite foolhardy when it comes to pushing myself past what would generally be considered sane. So I DO need those people that will pull me back to reality and point out that sort of stuff.

BigBikeBKK, I had slightly modified the plans; was thinking about getting a brunch in at Sri Sawat, than hitting the twisties up around Ban Rai. This is my stomping grounds and I know the area rather well; however it adds some 75 kilometers to that leg. We can make excellent time. If you (and others) were looking at stretching the ride out into 3 days, it would probably be easier on everyone. Also would let us do the Lan Sak-Mae Sot-Umphang-Mae Sot on day 2. Mae Sot to Chiang Mai via Mae Yuam is only ~420 km, quite doable.

Hi Dave,

Good to hear from you. This trip is you're baby and you'll make the final decisions about our itinerary, but if you're asking for votes I say we make it a 3 day trip so that we can keep the ride safe and enjoyable. I Googled Sri Sawat and came up with a town on the Lao border, so not quite sure about the route...

I hate to be a fly in the ointment yet again BUT- Lan Sak-Mae Sot-Umphang-Mae Sot adds up to 615 km on twisty (slow) roads. Google estimates drive time at 11 hours: Lan Sak - Mae Sot - Umphang - Mae Sot

Route 1090 to Umphang looks like a blast and I'd love to do it, but 11 hours in the saddle on twisty mountain roads is, IMHO, asking for trouble. hel_l, want to stretch it out to FOUR days? :o We could overnight in Umphang... :D

Let's start figuring out possible lodging too- the sooner we get that squared away the better. I'm also not quite clear about departure time and meeting place(s) on day one. I'll be coming from east side on the Big Mango so I'll need to get an earlier start than some.

Happy Trails!

I have done phuket to CM in a car on the main roads in a single day.. So its not like this is an impossible task to do half that in 2 days, tho of course we are off the main roads... I also intend to spend the next week cruising from CM out around the area so dont care if we do side trips on the way up but need to know the plan so I can work out GF's flights..

I will start to clock some distances also myself to get an idea..

For those that know the area.. How burly / impossible is this one thrown back from Google maps.. I am not suggesting it as a single day ride, but it links up the 1098 Umphang leg.. For all I know this is a dirt goat trail but GMaps will route it ??

post-9246-1226492751_thumb.jpg

Just throwing ideas out there to see if anything sticks.. If the idea of a 3 day ride is appealing.. and if people want to do this 1090 umphang road.. Is this a viable suggestion..

Leave BKK on day 1.. Meet on way out.. And stay somewhere at the termination of the 323.. Something like Sangkla buri / 3 pagoda pass / near these lakes ??? I am not sure exactly where but a buddy checked out up that way and found some floating hotel type deal.. Anyone know more ?? This allows for late meet ups, hassles leaving Bangkok, and the usual first morning group issues ?? Keeps the first day of the trip with spare 'emergency' time which may not be a terrible plan ??

Then day 2 do this route http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=...7.03125&z=8

A very twisty and small roads (dont even know if the leg between the 323 and the 1090 is really viable ?? are they all blacktop ?? GMaps says thats only 429 kms but at almost 11 hours that makes a full day ride without putting too much into it.. Also the road would get better as the day went on so not in the middle of nowhere as it gets dark.

Last day could be Mae Sot to CM via the 105 /108 Chom Tong for easy or the 105 /108 to Mae Hong Son and the 1263 to CM for a full day.. These last day routes look great however we choose to do it..

Really this plan hinges on 2 things.. Digs for night 1 (there has to be something) and the viability of that goat trail type road for sport bikes.

Just to emphasize, I am not trying to lay out my plans here.. This is Daves baby.. Just thinking out loud and seeing whats viable ??

Hi Guys,

I am in Phetchabun at the moment, just got married on Monday (10th)Nov, we bought it forward from our plan to marry in january, and the monks said the 10th, which was way quick..however I am now in honeymoon mode and heading for Ko Chang for beach and r&r, and am going to have to miss this one, gutted as I have been relishing the prospect.

Dont think I can persuade the other half to go for it,

hope it all goes really well and is a great experience

all the best

Phil

Heartfelt Congratulations Phil!

There will certainly be many other rides so enjoy your honeymoon and we'll catch you on the next one.

How about the Chiang Mai Bike week? I'll be headed up from Bangkok on December 5th with a bunch of folks. Wanna join us?

Happy Trails!

need to know the plan

Yes- time's getting short and we do need to get a plan put together as soon as possible.

2 days or 3? Planned route? Planned lodging?

Dave- I'm happy to pitch in as needed- just let me know how I can help. I've sent you my number and email by PM.

Happy Trails!

Boo are we heading out of BKK via Rama 4 road ? If yes you can meet me in front of my condo Onnut 30. If that works?

That's the general plan; shoot me some GPS co-ordinates (preferred) and I'll get a time to me you there.

Any plans on where your staying in CM ?? Have rooms known about on route ?? Getting to be details time..

Would help me if we do plan if its 2 or 3 days as I need to book GF's travel around that.. I think 2 days is OK if we crack on early on day 1 and stop mae sot without many side trips.. If we do much in the way of additional kms it makes some very full days.

I have to get the name from my friend again, but the hotel in Chiang Mai is titled something like "Downton Inn".

Lan Sak has a decent hotel, and I know that Mae Sot does also. Other than that I think it's going to be luck of the draw, especially if we drag the ride out to 3 days.

I'm all for the 2 day ride; hearing few rumblings in that regard.

I am in Phetchabun at the moment, just got married on Monday (10th)Nov, we bought it forward from our plan to marry in january, and the monks said the 10th, which was way quick..however I am now in honeymoon mode and heading for Ko Chang for beach and r&r, and am going to have to miss this one, gutted as I have been relishing the prospect.

Sorry to hear that; both that you're now tied down and you're going to miss the ride.

Dave- I'm happy to pitch in as needed- just let me know how I can help. I've sent you my number and email by PM.

Received; will give you a ring on the 18th sometime after 1400. See above in this post about lodging and what I'd like to see in regards to time frame.

A very twisty and small roads (dont even know if the leg between the 323 and the 1090 is really viable ?? are they all blacktop ?? GMaps says thats only 429 kms but at almost 11 hours that makes a full day ride without putting too much into it.. Also the road would get better as the day went on so not in the middle of nowhere as it gets dark.

I can guarantee that the majority of roads surrounding Ban Rai up towards Mae Sot are going to be paved. Can't put the same money on the 323 to near Ban Rai however, since I've never actually wandered that particular area, but assuming it's like the Ban Rai to Suphan Buri, they're surprisingly nice enough.

I deliberately chose roads that should let us steam ahead, and if you look over my route, there's plenty of room for modification to get us on more (boring) mainstream roads.

Oh and one more thing; there is no Kanchanburi/Umphang unless you have machetes and a BMW GS.

And now for the updated list of riders:

Definitely going:

• BigBikeBKK {Kawaski Ninja 250}
  • Meridian007 {Honda Steed 600}
  • thaicbr {Honda CBR 250RR}
  • dotcom {Yamaha V-Max or Honda CB400}
  • dave_boo {Kawasaki Ninja 250}

Possibly going (and possible conflicts):

• LivinLOS (family in town) {Bandit 4 or Honda Fireblade 900}
  • Crow Boy (schedule) {unknown?}

Dave. Sorry mate i can't make it because Friday and Saturday morning have to work. could have done Saturday afternoon but i know thats not the plan. will defo want to go on a ride out in the future maybe HUA HIN bike show or something. sorry again.

Allan

Oh and one more thing; there is no Kanchanburi/Umphang unless you have machetes and a BMW GS.

OK so that means this is not a viable route ??

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=...7.03125&z=8

I will just repeat that I am fairly easy on ANY route or combination of days.. But my personal preference, if its 2 or 3 or even 4, is not to do 1000kms of back roads, that I am unfamiliar with, in a single day, I am not too keen on riding after dark (planned) for example and ideally I dont want to need to set some hard pace to make nightfalls.. For me its about enjoying some country I havent yet seen, some picture stops, cruising well within the safety margins of what I can see etc etc etc. 1000kms in a day on main routes, not a problem, I will clock that to get to the trips start point, but twisty back roads, unknown weather, after dark riding, and a high pace all add up to more risk than I would normally take.

I am not saying anything is not possible, just expressing my mindset. Also Meridian007 (who has gone a bit quiet lately ?? Still in ??) Was mentioning cruising on the steed more than diving hard through the twisties. Right now we have BigBikeBKK, DaveBoo, and Meridien007, with me 90% and Dotcom for day 1 / partway ??

I will just repeat that I am fairly easy on ANY route or combination of days.. But my personal preference, if its 2 or 3 or even 4, is not to do 1000kms of back roads, that I am unfamiliar with, in a single day, I am not too keen on riding after dark (planned) for example and ideally I dont want to need to set some hard pace to make nightfalls.. For me its about enjoying some country I havent yet seen, some picture stops, cruising well within the safety margins of what I can see etc etc etc. 1000kms in a day on main routes, not a problem, I will clock that to get to the trips start point, but twisty back roads, unknown weather, after dark riding, and a high pace all add up to more risk than I would normally take.

Well said LivingLOS- I share your opinion. There's no reason we can't make it from Bangkok to Chiang Mai via Mae Sot in two days safely, but we'll have to leave out big detours like the 3 Pagodas Pass and Umphang and save those for another day.

What a beautiful day today- I'm off for a ride :o