Cordless Phones

shiva

Am moving to Thailand soon, and wondering if I should bring my cordless phones or not..They are exceptional ones, and pricey! I imagene caller i.d. is unheard of there? Anyway, I should think with a transformer, they would work fine? A :o phone is a phone...right?

Am moving to Thailand soon, and wondering if I should bring my cordless phones or not..They are exceptional ones, and pricey! I imagene caller i.d. is unheard of there? Anyway, I should think with a transformer, they would work fine? A  :o phone is a phone...right?

I had a really good set of cordless phones in England - one in the computer room, one in the bedroom, one in the lounge and one in the kitchen. Now they reside in my mum's bedroom, kitchen, lounge and garden shed :D

• 2 weeks later...

You might have a problem with DECT (if that's what they are) as I think it uses the same frequencies as the PCT phones.

(Upcountry, it's probably not an issue, but might be in Bangkok)

Anyway - I took a couple of DECT phones here, and they lasted a month or so. - May simply be that I should have put them on a UPS / Surge protector, but I did wonder why DECT phones weren't available here, and assume the frequency overlap might be the issue.

Anyway, I should think with a transformer, they would work fine? A  phone is a phone...right?

I don't know about that. I brought a cordless telephone over from UK (A BT model). It just doesn't work here at all. No idea why.

I'm not too sure how the Thai phone cables are connected, but I lived in a building overseas that had the phone wall sockets wired to the US standard.

My UK phone would not work until I had a technician change the wall socket wiring configuration to suit the British system.

I recall the technician said the UK system has an extra wire attached to the socket, but am not sure. It was a simple 5 minute job to get it working.

I hope this may solve the problem of your UK phone not working.

NL

I'm not too sure how the Thai phone cables are connected, but I lived in a building overseas that had the phone wall sockets wired to the US standard.

My UK phone would not work until I had a technician change the wall socket wiring configuration to suit the British system.

I recall the technician said the UK system has an extra wire attached to the socket, but am not sure. It was a simple 5 minute job to get it working.

I hope this may solve the problem of your UK phone not working.

NL

This is from memory, so you might want to do a "Google" to check. The two wires that come into you premises go to a master socket, pins 2 and 5. An extension socket is not the same as a master socket, and needs three wires connected to it. The third wire carries the "ringing current" that is generated by the master socket. I've forgotten what number the third wire goes to. Google "telephone sockets" or something like. Good luck.