Khon Kaen Phone Calls

Lancashirelad

I've heard there has been a problem, at least with 1-2call, over the past 2 months or so with mobiles phones not ringing when someone calls from outside Thailand. It sounds to the caller as though its ringing.

Domestic calls are ok.

Anybody know anything about this?

If yo are using a third party "cheap" service (like the 1p p/m 0844 numbers), then some of these services seem to have started to play a ringing tone while it is actually trying to connect, this keeps the person on the phone using the service. You can tell when it is actually ringing the other end as the tone changes pitch slightly.

At 1p per minute though, no complaints

Totster :o

If yo are using a third party "cheap" service (like the 1p p/m 0844 numbers), then some of these services seem to have started to play a ringing tone while it is actually trying to connect, this keeps the person on the phone using the service. You can tell when it is actually ringing the other end as the tone changes pitch slightly.

At 1p per minute though, no complaints

Yes Totster, you are indeed right & i'm aware of that. Sometime takes quite a time before thir phone actually starts to ring.

I have no problems calling mobiles elsewhere in Thailand, its only in the KK area.

Made and received international costs in the KK area within the past two weeks - no problems - and yes a discount service was used at the European end of one call, my mobile is 12call.

Is the mobile in a poor reception area?

Shielded by a tin roof from a good signal to the cell tower?

Where are you getting this 'technical' report of international vs domestic calls only affecting 12call?

--------------------------

As for the international vs local 'issue' - all international calls will be routed via a Thai telecommcations ground station via satellite - no one uses cables to talk great distances these days. So the call will appear to be/treated as domestic (that is no differently than a domestic call) but with CLI being carried through or stripped if using a discount service as they buy bulk capacity between countries and sell off part of that time share to you for a few cents a minute etc. The bundled 'cheap' international calls generally appear as Bangkok local (02...) numbers on the receiving Thai mobile.

Many Thai do not understand mobile telephone technology and will assume that an international call is magically appearing directly from farang land to their mobile handset, hence shouting on long distance calls etc. Me calling a friend's mobile in KK will be presented to his mobile handset in the same way whether I call from my mobile or desk phone here in Pattaya or overseas.

As the underlying reason for this question might be of special interest to you - it is fairly simple to find a few telephone numbers in the KK area where you could carry out some test calls - both landline and cell - to see if this is a general problem or one that affects a small area ? (If you know what I mean?)

HTH.

it is fairly simple to find a few telephone numbers in the KK area where you could carry out some test calls - both landline and cell - to see if this is a general problem or one that affects a small area ?

Yes Cuban, that is a good idea, thank you for your input. If only i had someone else to call in that area.

Yes i know when using independant companies to route shows up as a Bkk no.

The area is Pratanum market next to Makro.

My wife has two phones, both on 0ne2call.

I would say 60% of the time when I call on her everyday number using a third party discount service (there is no problem when calling direct), the call does not connect for one reason or another... however using her other number the call will go straight through..

Edited by Totster