Thailand Has Destroyed My Shoes

12DrinkMore

Lifestyle issues might have a lot to do with it. If you regularly walk through puddles, are outdoors more than indoors, or subject yourself to a lot of cool/heat/cool/cycles (like sales folks)... that'll make rubber go brittle rather quickly.

Have yet to have any shoes (both cheap and not so cheap) fall apart on me yet, not counting tennis shoes which I'll literally burn through 2 pairs per year.

:o

Edited by Heng

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never buy shoes here in Thailand with foam padding.

The Thai climate quickly deteriorates the material, and accelerates the aging process.

The same applies to the human body, this is why Thai visa members always appear haggard, decrepit and are falling apart once they reach the age of 35.

Edited by Beetlejuice

These Merrells won't rot or slip :o

wolve231882_99190_jb.jpg

wolve231914_131480_jb.jpgand no need for sox! :D

No……………'GungaDin' come on now, you trying to tell me you couldn't enhance the slick 'lines' of these puppy's with a nice pair of grey polyester suite ankle sock, (pulled up tight)………………….and to nail the 'look', weld this combo onto a scrawny pinkish lower limb, (completing the 'farang about town look with ginger hair, mossy bites and freckles) Go get em tiger! :whistling:

Edited by Tonto21

I never buy shoes here in Thailand with foam padding.

The Thai climate quickly deteriorates the material, and accelerates the aging process.

The same applies to the human body, this is why Thai visa members always appear haggard, decrepit and are falling apart once they reach the age of 35.

Most TV’s have managed to avoid this deterioration body partsby pickling themselves in alcohol…. And re-applying, when, and where necessary.It’s all about staying ‘lubed-up’!

These Merrells won't rot or slip :o

wolve231882_99190_jb.jpg

wolve231914_131480_jb.jpgand no need for sox! :D

No……………'GungaDin' come on now, you trying to tell me you couldn't enhance the slick 'lines' of these puppy's with a nice pair of grey polyester suite ankle sock, (pulled up tight)………………….and to nail the 'look', weld this combo onto a scrawny pinkish lower limb, (completing the 'farang about town look with ginger hair, mossy bites and freckles) Go get em tiger! :whistling:

+ faux-leather belt-clip phone-holder and the ladies will swoon.

stylin'

Well, now I know why nobody where's shoes and there are no libraries!

:lol: :jap:

But, as a spelling nazi, it is "wears", not "where's" shoes... unless you are asking where the are.

Rubber quality and composite materials all vary, and even the expensive companies have their stuff made overseas where they can't always keep track of the materials. Heat and humidity affects all materials differently.

SILICON is the stuff used for computer chips.

SILICONE is the stuff used for sealing, lubrication and to increase the mass of sized-challenged breasts.

SILICA is the stuff used to absorb moisture. Once it is saturated, it is of no use. But by heating it in an oven you can expel the absorbed moisture and reuse.

Called Silica Gel

unless you are asking where the are.

What's your politics like in regard to grammar?

I ALWAYS like to leave a "misteak" for those who want to make a come-back. :rolleyes: After all, we are only "hear" to have a good time.

:)

But there ARE good reasons to wear socks with sandals. Most of us transients from cooler climates have tender tootsies. There is a good reason for the old expression of "tenderfoot". it takes a while for someone to build up the calluses needed to wear floppy sandals or toe thongs. Even reasonable fitting sandals will cause friction when walking any distance. Rubber base sandals are even worse. If you walk any more than a few kilometres in new sandals then you'll quickly get blisters on the soles of your feet. That doesn't happen if you wear socks. My feet are very tender when I first arrive back in Thailand and I have to build up the calluses before I can take long walks in my sandals. And, that is even with leather bottom sandals. If I wear the cheap, rubber ones then I put an insole in them before any serious walking.

No Ian, you tried to be clever and fell foul of the usual mistake of the grammar/spelling police on here.

Yer always right, Mossy and never make mistakes. :jap:

I know I am always right as you can testify in your threads, but my spelling and grammar leave a lot to be desired, which is why myself and others are always hard on those that try to be clever on someone's typo, mis-spelling or other such grievious misdemeanour, especially on a foreign based forum.

I know I am always right as you can testify in your threads, but my spelling and grammar leave a lot to be desired, which is why myself and others are always hard on those that try to be clever on someone's typo, mis-spelling or other such grievious misdemeanour, especially on a foreign based forum.

Too true, and that is why I prefer making fun of myself instead of others. But, sometimes it doesn't hurt to bring up the obvious and help someone improve. Usually I do it by private message. There are so many strange grammar rules it's hard to keep track of them all. Why does kilometre end with an "re" and yet the closely related meter end in "er"? I can never remember when a hyphen is needed and when you just connect the letters. I'm a bit dyslectic and often type letters backwards. I have to check myself constantly.

Too true, and that is why I prefer making fun of myself instead of others. But, sometimes it doesn't hurt to bring up the obvious and help someone improve. Usually I do it by private message. There are so many strange grammar rules it's hard to keep track of them all. Why does kilometre end with an "re" and yet the closely related meter end in "er"? I can never remember when a hyphen is needed and when you just connect the letters. I'm a bit dyslectic and often type letters backwards. I have to check myself constantly.

help someone improve

I am sure Scott is humbly grateful for your assitance in helping him improve, personally I would assume it was speed of typing, where sometimes the mix and ambiguity of the English language can catch you out.

Why does kilometre end with an "re" and yet the closely related meter end in "er"?

U.S spelling and UK spelling, both are right, depending on your point of view.

Next....

12... Ozone can make short work of rubber products. If you have a copy machine or other electrical appliance that might be capable of creating ozone, it will surely rot away rubber in the area.

I am glad someone else has this problem.... I thought I had termites or something.

I came to Thailand with a few pairs of shoes 5 years ago, and have worn all of them every now and then. I went to a meeting a few months back and had to wear the good pair. sure enough I walked into the hotel lobby and was leaving a trail of black stuff all over the place. I have big feet and it is very hard to find shoes my size over here that do not look like they belong to Coco....

I went home and checked my other shoes, same thing, they were all cracked and falling apart.

anyway, if you have big feet you can find half decent shoes in Timberland shops. 45+ sizes... they are not cheap though, and start around the 3,500 mark.

It usually is termites, not the heat, although the termites thrive in the heat.

It's an easy answer if you are buying Ecco shoes. Just google Ecco soles.

I tried to get Ecco Thailand to replace or repair my useless and defective Ecco shoes which I purchased in Thailand. They refused.

• 2 months later...

I took my safety boots on holiday with me - they'd been sat a year unused in the cupboard - imagine my dismay when the soles started flaking as I walked; by the time I'd got back from first day on site, I was down to the metal sole plates - not much grip there! At least the bag won't be so heavy going home.

Good quality safety boots, hardly worn, but deteriorated from seven years' shelf life in and around the tropics.

I'll mind and salvage the laces, though, by the way

SC

Yes, snap, same thing happened to me. Blundstone elastic-sided work boots. Fairly heavy duty (with i think oil resistant soles). Can't get them here so bought this pair specially to stay at our house in LOS. Fast forward a year or two and I put them on to do some things in the garden and the soles have fallen to bits by the time i walk 50m!

The moisture absorbing stuff (for storage boxes) comes in a large plastic container with an outer seal (which you tear off) and another lid that allows moisture in. They contain white pellets that eventually become liquid as they absorb heaps of moisture (not re-usable). I think i have seen these here in homepro.

Rice works but it's not great. Cat litter works a treat.

u crazy? i bought imported adidas from japan last year.. about 120$ us.

been in thailand for a year, walked in water.. got dropped in pools with them.. and they're still perfect .. and they are in swede.. suede.. dont know the english word

I've had for over a year here a pair of skecher work shoes, timberlands, and a pair of nike basketball shoes and never had a problem with mould. Knock on wood I guess :)

Thailand Has Destroyed My Shoes.

I'm extremely surprised somebody hasn't popped up and blamed Yingluk Shinawatra.

They probably would have, but the thread was started in 2008 :)

Still, now that it's been revived, I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to blame either her, or her brother!

Really surprised that no one has mentioned Bata Thailand products.

Their catalogue [and physical shops countrywide] offer a wide variety of footware - cheap crap to high quality - that don't succumb to climatic conditions.

Chances are, the life of these products are superior to any of the fashionable and pricey footware that usually is promoted in Western markets.

I suppose I'm not really that distressed about the boots giving up the ghost after less then seven years; more at the suddenness of deterioration, though even that was only over the last year in the cupboard. I'm particularly distressed though, that they were not there for me when I was most at risk - the conditions in Mumbai are appalling; I feel I ought to be wearing safety gear just to walk down the street to get a sandwich.

SC