Why Do You Support The Club You Do?

rixalex

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess you support the club first and foremost by going to the match. secondarily it's in buying club products and merchandise and contributing financially to the club. i do find it quite strange that people all over the world support man united and liverpool when they have no real connection to the cities, have never been there and probably never will.

used to be about getting behind the lads, and being vocal. nowadays its about how much <deleted> you buy from liverworld and mancland that sets you apart.

never had a problem with wools apart from one thing, love the club, love the city.

love watching the games on the tv now but couldnt face going the game anymore, being surrounded by people who i have nothing in common with isnt for me.

Closest top league club to where I grew up, try walking around with a manc shirt on and see what happens to you lololol

So you're a scouser then? :o

How dare you ! I demand you take that back straight away :D:D:D:( Add liverfool, leeds, scum, spuds, Millwall and spammers shirt to my list then take another guess :D

Both my parents and and uncle were regular visitors to the old shed back in the day so it was always going to be a natural progression to follow the mighty blues,

we have been pretty poor in the past so who can blame me for enjoying the success we have had over the last decade? :o

Well, it was a toss up between Notts County & Forest !!!!

No toss up. I was a regular at Meadow Lane from the age of 9-11 (1953-55). Used to catch the (Sneinton?) bus to the ground by myself and come back by myself. I don't think it ever occurred to my parents or myself that that might not be wise. We lived in Nottingham while my father was on exchange with REME. Left after a couple of years and haven't been back, but still have a soft spot for the Magpies and sad to see them struggling now. They were in Division 2 those days, along with clubs like Forest, Leicester, Derby, Stoke, Bury, Lincoln, Hull, Fulham, Liverpool (yes), Blackburn, Rotherham - an odd mixture from today's perspective.

Nice thread. These loyalties are meaningful even if it is "only a game".

I supported Man City way before we was the richest club in the world :o

The only worse than being the riches club in the world, is being the richest club in the world and still bathing in mediocrity.

You are surely havin a Giraffe James. Did you watch the game? We were far from mediocre and gave Liverpool (a top 4 club for years) a run for the money. Give us a chance to spend some of that wealth first will ya. :D

Closest top league club to where I grew up, try walking around with a manc shirt on and see what happens to you lololol

So you're a scouser then? :o

How dare you ! I demand you take that back straight away :D:(:D:P Add liverfool, leeds, scum, spuds, Millwall and spammers shirt to my list then take another guess :D

Brighton? :D:D

Does the reason why you support a club make you any more or less a supporter?

Are all the Manchester United supporters in the south of England (or for that matter anywhere else in the world), just shameless glory hunters, or should we all be able to choose the club we support regardless of where we come from, without being deemed as somehow less legitimate or worthy?

All ManUre supporters in the south of England (or anywhere in the world for that matter) are just shameless glory hunters and are deemed illegitimate. Same same Celtic.

Hope this clarifies things.

All ManUre supporters in the south of England (or anywhere in the world for that matter) are just shameless glory hunters and are deemed illegitimate. Same same Celtic.

Not entirely no.

Are you saying that people who come from an area where there is no football pedigree should not be allowed to support a team? Or are you saying that they can but they must choose a club which is crap?

Also, if the shameless glory hunter supporter you speak of, continues to support a team when that team no longer continues to be successful, does that change their status or are they still illegitimate? In Thailand many Thais, especially middle-aged guys, support Liverpool, because when they were young this was the team that was most successful. Relatively speaking, Liverpool hasn't enjoyed that degree of success for 20 odd years, but all that support in Thailand didn't suddenly switch to Manchester United.

So although you might be right in your assessment that what attracted these supporters originally was glory, or to put it a better way, attractive and entertaining football, the fact that these people continue supporting the team shows that their support isn't empty and shallow, but based on a real attachment and genuine passion for the club.

The only worse than being the riches club in the world, is being the richest club in the world and still bathing in mediocrity.

You are surely havin a Giraffe James. Did you watch the game? We were far from mediocre and gave Liverpool (a top 4 club for years) a run for the money. Give us a chance to spend some of that wealth first will ya. :D

who blows a two goal lead and then loses 3-2, ten men or not. Giraffe no, but I bet Mr. Hughes had a cow.

think about it in these terms, last year you beat us twice without money, now with Rob and new friends and all that money, I don't think it will happen.

Not entirely no.

Are you saying that people who come from an area where there is no football pedigree should not be allowed to support a team? Or are you saying that they can but they must choose a club which is crap?

Also, if the shameless glory hunter supporter you speak of, continues to support a team when that team no longer continues to be successful, does that change their status or are they still illegitimate? In Thailand many Thais, especially middle-aged guys, support Liverpool, because when they were young this was the team that was most successful. Relatively speaking, Liverpool hasn't enjoyed that degree of success for 20 odd years, but all that support in Thailand didn't suddenly switch to Manchester United.

So although you might be right in your assessment that what attracted these supporters originally was glory, or to put it a better way, attractive and entertaining football, the fact that these people continue supporting the team shows that their support isn't empty and shallow, but based on a real attachment and genuine passion for the club.

Congratulations, you've just won the "Rixalex award for missing the humour".

I support my team because i was born in there went to games from the age of 5 and had my first season ticket aged 7 and travelled to 5-8 away games a season up until the age of 21, and also because all teams apart from Hartlepool and Darlington are supported by w.....s.

who blows a two goal lead and then loses 3-2, ten men or not. Giraffe no, but I bet Mr. Hughes had a cow.

We are not the first and won't be the last team to blow a 2 goal lead. But going down to 10 men against a very good Liverpool team doesn't help.

last year you beat us twice without money,

Wrong. Last year Thaksin bought us and allowed us to spend more money than we had for years. Not enough to buy the worlds best players but enough to buy some extremely talented ones.

now with Rob and new friends and all that money, I don't think it will happen.

I doubt it will happen either. United are a very good team and one that has been built up over many years, with a Manager at the helm for 20 ish years. All you guys keep on going on about "all that money". Apart from one player, we haven't spent any of it yet. Give it time will ya. Us City fans are :D

Not entirely no.

Oh! I see! Maybe you should indicate when you are being funny because it's not obvious! :o

Are all the Manchester United supporters in the south of England (or for that matter anywhere else in the world), just shameless glory hunters, or should we all be able to choose the club we support regardless of where we come from, without being deemed as somehow less legitimate or worthy?

:o Which team do you support?

:o Which team do you support?

Kind of you to ask Mr. T., - Everton and Glasgow Rangers.

I felt Everton were flattered a bit by 5th place last time, though arguably a full season's league table shouldn't lie (much!). This season looks to be a long hard slog, but a few other clubs having worse problems than us should keep the unthinkable at bay.

Oh, for the away match pubs of my youth, - "16 brown mixed over here quick lad."

As for Rangers, well they are true magicians - they can turn gold into <deleted>, fancy losing 1-0 to St. Mirren and giving up a 3 point lead to the unwashed. But Rangers will always have the best songs!

Not entirely no.

Oh! I see! Maybe you should indicate when you are being funny because it's not obvious! :o

Oy!! Watch it lad, what exactly are you trying to say?

But then again being a Manc. perhaps subtlety is not something you recognise!

• 10 months later...
Oy!! Watch it lad, what exactly are you trying to say?

But then again being a Manc. perhaps subtlety is not something you recognise!

OY!! Watch it lad. Don't put all us Mancs in the same pot as United. :D

No, put them in the 'Stockport' pot....! :)

redrus

Now I never mentioned that Red but while your at it.

How are you getting the derby match.? Getting the train into Manchester and then getting the Bus from Manchester to Stretford. Or are you avoiding Manchester all together and driving straight to Stretford :)

Not bad BJ, guess those Friday holidays are really doing their thing for you. :D

Now I never mentioned that Red but while your at it.

How are you getting the derby match.? Getting the train into Manchester and then getting the Bus from Manchester to Stretford. Or are you avoiding Manchester all together and driving straight to Stretford :)

Not bad BJ, guess those Friday holidays are really doing their thing for you. :D

That, coupled with Ramadan means I've plenty of free time, as no shops are open to be dragged round by MrsBoJ :D

I have supported Partick Thistle since I was 10. My family is Christian but coming from Glasgow there are Christians and then there are Catholics. I wasn't allowed to support Rangers or Celtic as it would upset the family religious balance. (mum is Catholic, dad is Protestant).

So I was shipped out to Maryhill, home of the Maryhill Magyars better known as Partick Thistle.

I got lucky as Thistle won the Scottish League Cup in my first season beating Celtic 4-1. They haven't won anything since though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I am Thistle through and through and would never change alliegance to any other team.

Mac