What Are The Rights Of A Child Fathered By A Farang?

james1979

this thai girl says she is 60% sure I have made her pregnant, will let me know for sure in a few weeks

i was wondering what the rights are for a child born to a thai women and fathered by a uk man?

i dont want to marry her

If you are willing to be acknowledged as the father you, not her, can register the birth at the British Embassy. This used to mean that the child qualifies for a British Passport but I'm not sure if that is still the case; you need to ask the embassy staff.

Otherwise the child has no special rights and will be looked down upon by other "Pure bred" class concious Thais.

Blotty odd relationship if she has to find out for sure.

At least she is honest enuff to say it could belong to someone else...... geeeeeez.

If it is yours, do as suggested, register with British Embassy.

You would have normal parental rights with the child, that is a BIG responsibilty for you.

It would be on your concience for ever if you disowned the child.

Cheers.

At least she is honest enuff to say it could belong to someone else...... geeeeeez.

You would have normal parental rights with the child, that is a BIG responsibilty for you.

Cheers.

And how about a DNA test? The mere mention of that should scare her off, and she will run back to her Thai boy friend ! Come on, this seems to have a very high chnace of being a scam don't you think?

Edited by Robbie Dye

Cheers.

Registring the child at the British Embassy will (probably) not give you any parental rights under Thai law. Under Thai law the father has to register the child at the amphur. Only being named on the Thai BC is not enough.

But I would do a DNA test if the girl isn't sure you are the father.

Unmarried british fathers can now pass on thier british citizenship but he would need to be named int he thai birth certificate & attend the British Embassy with the relevant paperwork, but unless he went to thai court he would have, as an unmarried father, no parental rights, same as an unmarried thai father I beleive. I agree with other people who say get a DNA test & if this child is yours, step up & be a man, give the child it's right to British citizenship & support it both emotionally & in financial terms. It isn't the kids fault.

this thai girl says she is 60% sure I have made her pregnant, will let me know for sure in a few weeks

i was wondering what the rights are for a child born to a thai women and fathered by a uk man?

i dont want to marry her

60% sure, out of how many ? James grow up and walk away.

This is a well-worn and very frequently used scam in Thailand to extract cash from holidaymakers who have returned overseas.

Do not send a single satang until the results of the DNA test are known.

My guess is the mention of a paternity test will cause her to break off her calls for cash. You might even get an abusive missive such as "You no care, you bad man, <deleted> and forget." This allows her to save face and not admit she was lying about you being the father of a maybe non-existent foetus.

However if it assuages your guilt and makes you feel better, send her £20,000. :o

I assume that she means she is 60% sure she is pregnant, not pregnant and 60% sure it was you (pretty obviously, I guess).

Depends who she is, what the deal was etc. If you think she is a "respectable" Thai girl, think again, because respectable Thai girls don't bonk on the first few dates, that's for sure. If they do, drop the respectable. Which perhaps means she's screwing every guy she goes out with. So, why is it you? If she's a working girl, half of this forum has had her, so stand up the culprit!

On the other hand, if you're as certain as anyone can ever be that if she is pregnant, it was you, you have a problem. You either do the honorable thing or you walk away and forget it, so long as you don't mind knowing your kid will grow up to flog chewing gum to farangs on Cowboy just to get by. I concur with the other posts regarding British Citizenship, but it will require considerable collaboration from the lady in question to ensure you are on the birth certificate. Which will undoubtedly cost you. You will need to get that translated, certified at Chaeng Wattana then apply for a British Passport, which will, again, require considerable collaboration from the lady. You DO NOT need a British birth certificate to establish citizenship, the passport will do and it is cheaper.

Good luck. Hope it works out O.K. for all parties concerned.

I assume that she means she is 60% sure she is pregnant, not pregnant and 60% sure it was you (pretty obviously, I guess).
You guessed wrong. Being pregnant, or not being pregnant, is 50-50 not 60-40. Are some people real ? Do you Richm7 understand the facts of life ? You are or you ain't pregnant. Pretty obvious, I guess. Edited by coventry

i dont want to marry her

If you are willing to be acknowledged as the father you, not her, can register the birth at the British Embassy. This used to mean that the child qualifies for a British Passport but I'm not sure if that is still the case; you need to ask the embassy staff.

Otherwise the child has no special rights and will be looked down upon by other "Pure bred" class concious Thais.

I think you will find that that is not the case. Take a look at Thai TV, Soaps etc and read Thai gossip style magazines, look at fashion models; you will see that "Luk Krung" are high society. It is a major advantage to be a half blood in Thailand as long as you have been educated.

You DO NOT need a British birth certificate to establish citizenship, the passport will do and it is cheaper.

When we applied for a UK passport for our daughter we had to register the birth in the UK at the same time, otherwise no passport.

Was that in Thailand, or in the UK?

I got my daughter's passport at the embassy here with a translated copy of her Thai birth certificate. Her birth was never registered in the UK.

The price for registration is extortionate, when the only benefit appears to be that if some not that distant relative dies (that you're not in contact with, and that has no closer extant relatives), they'd be found by the companies possibly searching for heirs...

I would just like to recount a little epsode a few years back. I am not suggesting this is akin to your situation James, but it is worth thinking about.

A nubmer of years back, I brought a friend to Samui with me. he hooked up with this girl, who wasn't especially the smartest girl in the world. he went back - and she assumed that I was a tourist and went back too, with him...... she had told him she was pregnant before he left, and claimed to be 100% certain it was his - he doubted she was even pregnant and but was quite worried. I urged him to exercise caution, and that if she was in fact pregnant, and if it was in in fact his, that he should do the right thing...... however, I urged him to wait and see..... she was furious that he would even suggest any of this..... but anyway - he returned home - 4 or 5 weeks had passed - she was back in the bar by night, and on the phone to him by day, crying, saying she had a "big fat belly" and no-one loved her, and she got fired from the bar and had no money...... all comeplete BS. It went on for about 2 months - she was telling him she had returned to her home town and everything....... so I got a pic of her at the go-go pole, emailed it to him, and he in tuned emailed it to her...... and that was the end of the charade.......

Two things I would stress here - (1) not all girls are that outright deceptive - but there are a few (and they don't need to be bar girls to chase a golden goose). (2) Many girls do get pregnant, and most of the time guys just walk away, believing it to be a scam OR someone elses baby..... in genuine cases this is very sad, for all involved.

If this were my situation, I would personally say to her "IF you are preganant, and IF you have the baby, and IF you get a DNA test done, and IF it is my baby, then I will support you etc."......... if you want "legitimate" rights over the child, then you need to make the decision as to whether you'll be father or benifactor....... and I'd be inclined to get legal advice, in Thailand, from a proper legal professional, so that you can influence how the moeny you send to her will be spent etc..... if on the other hand, you just want to offer financial support, but want no "parenting" then you could still insist on the DNA test etc and then just send moeny or whatever..........

One suggestion, and this is just my personal opinion - consider how this "news" will go down with your friends and family, and with any future wife or partner you might have....... whether the thai girl is a hooker or not (forgive any implication here, no disresepct is intended), EVERYONE is gonig to assume she is...... so your going to have to explain that to any future wife you might have........ and its going to take a very understanding woman....... to that end if the child turns out to be yours, you might go to Thailand for an extended holiday, seek legal advice, and set up some kind of trust fund...... a "once off payment" as it were from your end, but paid to her over time - and you can then wash your hands of the affair, conscience in tact.......... Personally however, i it were me, i could not live with myself knowing that my son or daughter is running around Thailand, with no dad, and will quite liekly end up in the "entertainment" industry...... i would be inclined to give it a go with the Thai girl - you never, love could blossom, and you could do far worse that marry a thai woman...... I did 7yrs ago and I have never looked back..... if things don't work out, you can always abandon ship and default to the trust fund routine.........

dunno if that helps or not - your obvisouly concerned for the welfare of this child, if its yours........ and thats before its even born...... me, personally, I would want to know for sure...... and I would tell her out straight that if its your your with her, and if its not - your gone...... but tell her "nicely" of course.... best of luck eitherway.

If the child turns out to be actually yours, you would probably be able to win legal custody (I did with my two sons) and be able to take the child back to your home country. Or start a new life in Thailand. Child care here in thailand is very good and cheap and you would have no problems in finding a new partner. Plus, you can obtain a non-im visa on the grounds of child support. Worth thinking about.

You guessed wrong. Being pregnant, or not being pregnant, is 50-50 not 60-40. Are some people real ? Do you Richm7 understand the facts of life ? You are or you ain't pregnant. Pretty obvious, I guess.

He obviously means that she considers it more rather than less likely that she is preggers.. I doubt he sat doewn and did a statistical analysis of the situation..!

Child support in Thailand is currently something like 30 baht per day.

Who knows about the future and international lawyers..

Ive seen mixed white/thai kids used by the mafia at red lights to beg. Not many rights for them.

When we applied for a UK passport for our daughter we had to register the birth in the UK at the same time, otherwise no passport.

Slightly off topic but that statement is utter rubbish and totally incorrect. The website, since redesigned somewhat, did try to make out that you have to pay for registration but it has never been a requirement. TRanslated and certified Thai birth certificate and relevant ID and forms and that is all.