Gay Queen

yabbit

Just come back from DJ station.

a girl i met their did tell me that 95% of gay people in thailand are gay queen and the rest gay king. while i can beleive there are more gay queen that gay king in thailand the 95% figure surprise me.

what are your thoughts? you agree or disagree?

Well, I would say that your source is poorly chosen on 2 counts- one, she's a woman, which limits her sexual experience of gay men- maybe all her queenie friends are ladyboys?- and two, she hangs out on Silom.

From my experience- directly of people I have dated and from observation of couples that I know- there is a broad variety of gay men out there of every main type. I don't see any reason to claim there is a shortage of 'top' gay men or that anything like 95% are 'bottoms.'

"S"

Well, I would say that your source is poorly chosen on 2 counts- one, she's a woman

Well she was a ladyboy but for me i say girl since i don't see a difference, i did not chose the source it rather did choose me :o

and two, she hangs out on Silom.

i don't get what is has to do with Silom?

From my experience- directly of people I have dated and from observation of couples that I know- there is a broad variety of gay men out there of every main type. I don't see any reason to claim there is a shortage of 'top' gay men or that anything like 95% are 'bottoms.'

"S"

i would tend to agree with what you said, it is just that the number surprise she gave me surprise me so i wanted to know if she is the only one thinking like this.

all above said, i find that in bangkok there far more feminine gay boy than in other countries. compared to gay clubs here with those in europe there are far more feminine gay boys here than in other place. or at least those are my observations.

Most gay Thais that I have known were versatile. Or preferred to be on top. Like my feminine tour guide in Chiang Rai who hooked up with an equally femme acting local guy, thinking the other guy was also a bottom. The local guy was quite versatile.

If you have done three-ways with two Thai gay guys, they sometimes try everything.

As I always say, there is much more to gay sex than tops and bottoms.

I don't see any reason to claim there is a shortage of 'top' gay men or that anything like 95% are 'bottoms.'

i hesitated to ask the question "Queen... King..?" but now my alien curiosity has been satisfied :D

p.s. do any "Princes(ses), Counts, Dukes, Knights, Emperors, Sultans, Emirs and the like exist? :o my question excludes my good friend "Farang Prince".

Naam, I think this is a Thai gay classification, having nothing to do, of course, with true royalty. See the related thread in page one of the gay forum. The guy on top is the penetrating king, and the guy below is the receptive queen. But I think most gay Thais are versatile, performing all the roles in the oral and anal repertoire. I went to a high school with teams that were labeled Dukes and Barons, but very little sex.

Cum to think of it, it could lead to some kinky role playing...

• 1 month later...

I think King and Queen are more about mannerisms than a preference for top or bottom, particularly with the Queens. I know boys that are obviously Queens, and will tell you they are. But they will also tell you they prefer to top, AND only want partners that are outwardly masculine. I would go so far as to suggest there's a larger percentage of Queens that prefer to top than there are Kings that prefer to bottom. I believe there are a much larger percentage of Kings (by mannerisms) in Thai society than Queens, but a larger percentage of openly gay Queens than Kings.

I don't believe most Thais think of it in terms of gay or straight, as those lines tend to get very blurred. Its only when they are openly gay that the terms King and Queen come into play. For most I think its more about how obvious their same sex activity is to others in the community, and in particular their family.

Leave it to me to be the one to throw some social science into this otherwise quite entertaining thread.

If you think about it, because of our socialization, feminine men "stick out" more than men who meet our "traditional" expectations of male behaviour. So there will appear to be more of them (because you don't see the other ones).

This relates directly to a study that was done some years ago in Missouri.

Volunteers were put in a tightly packed (crowded) social situation with strangers - a small rec room at the University with a bar - and told to mingle for a half hour. Then they were asked to fill out a questionnaire.

The questionnaire asked about the ambiance, the drinks, some innocuous social schmoozing questions, and, hidden in the questionnaire was the study question: Were there more MEN or WOMEN in the room?

Until the ratio reached close to 75% men, the men uniformly reported more women than men in the room.

For the women, the ratio was 70% women before they felt in the majority.

The point is that our ability to estimate social distributions is greatly affected by our point of view - what are we looking for, what draws our attention?

Conclusion, the number of "feminine" men is probably exaggerated. And, I would second the comment that, just because a man is effeminate in a disco on Silom, it doesn't mean he's not a Lion in the den on Saladaeng.