Bkk The Yummy[-est] Cake Neeeeded!

thithi

I think you mean SECRET RECIPE... and yes...they are pretty good...

The Silom Road restaurant is just downstairs from the Saladaeng BTS station. Likewise they have a smaller branch at the Emporium. And other places around town.

Seem to have one of the better selections of real cheesecakes available around town. For those, including myself, who like them...

On a similar note, though, any nomitations for who does the best TIRAMISU around BKK??? Not just places that have that on the menu... But ones that prepare a really good, authentic version???

I think you mean SECRET RECIPE... and yes...they are pretty good...

The Silom Road restaurant is just downstairs from the Saladaeng BTS station. Likewise they have a smaller branch at the Emporium. And other places around town.

Seem to have one of the better selections of real cheesecakes available around town. For those, including myself, who like them...

On a similar note, though, any nomitations for who does the best TIRAMISU around BKK??? Not just places that have that on the menu... But ones that prepare a really good, authentic version???

I had one yesterday that was better than most I tried in Bangkok at Central World, 5th floor. I think the place was called Italian Bar or something.

The best cakes....I would go for the Sofitel on Silom.....near soi Decho. Lenôtre on ground floor at entrance.

Great cake, coffee and pastries....A little pricey

Completely agree:

post-61130-1233378943_thumb.jpg

Usually, visit the Langsuan outlet, ground floor of Natural Ville.

There was a place I used to go to 5 years ago or so off Ekamai Soi 12. It was in the lobby of Oriental Towers as I remember, but I can't remember the name of the establishment.

It was really good. The best place I found in my wanderings. I used to go there anytime I needed cakes, and people were always impressed with the quality. Prices were extremely reasonable too. Haven't been in that area for years, unfortunately.

Anyone know the name? Is it still there?

tried secret recipe in paragon once..... dnt think i like it.

i had a piece of Black Forest there.... it was just a bit better than Chester's Grill Cafe cake

and tiramisu @ Napoli pizza on Suk is a decent one... but i cant remember which soi :o

I'm not a cake-girl, but whilst I do sometimes the baking.. so love to taste some other's

My recently impressive, I had carrot cake at Charlie Cafe (really not sure, is its name..but it is old 'Anna Cafe', Saladaeng)

This place is at the corner of Naradhiwas Rajanagarindha Road before the turning left to Klongtoey by Rama 3 Road.

Food there..Well IMO is to forget (hehe..sorry), but cake..Oh..awesome.

Their other cakes are also nice, but Carrot Cake touched me.

Another one now in my mind, I love Plain cheesecake & English Bread Puddings in Marriot Cafe, JW Marriot) so bad.

Food there are also great but quite pricey...1600sth for buffet.. (not sure, I always eat for free :o)

By the way, seen its coffee shop in front of the hotel, looks really great too!

To try, you may go check it by BTS, get off at PleonChit station.

Well...enjoy your cake dayssssss!!! :D Should eat load before you get 30. You won't regret..I can tell..lol

ThiThi, I think your judgment of Secret Recipe may be a bit narrow. I'm not a big fan of traditional flour-based cakes in general. But during a visit or two to Secret Recipe lately, I tasted a couple of their flour cakes that a companion ordered, I think a German chocolate and one other, and wasn't much impressed.

HOWEVER, I've also sampled their cheesecakes and other non-flour cakes a couple of different times, and found them to be very good in general, and especially for Bangkok. Rich, creamy texture, good flavors, very nicely done. So, if you haven't already, you might consider giving some of their non-flour menu items a try...

• 4 months later...

Just a mention of a very pleasant (but not cheap) deserts/light meals cafe we visited for sweets the other day... FlourWorx at the Grand Millennium Sukhumvit.... on Asoke Road just above Sukhumvit Road... short walk from BTS Asoke or MRT Sukhumvit. Open daily 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Lovely setting on the ground floor of this hotel... Good service... comfortable cushioned chairs... quiet and peaceful.

post-53787-1245811780_thumb.jpg

But..I know..you want to hear about the food...The GF had two deserts, and I had two deserts, and all four, relatively light and modest in size, were quite tasty..

Very light, fresh and pleasant lemon yogurt cake: 100 baht

post-53787-1245811811_thumb.jpg

For Thithi... a very sweet and creamy/rich chocolate-banana mini-pie: 60 baht

post-53787-1245811834_thumb.jpg

A low-fat mini apple pie: 60 baht

and a Strawberry/Whipped Cream Omelette (made with a thin sweet cake patty (not fried egg): 110 baht

For all their items, add on 17% via a 10% service charge and 7% VAT... so it's not cheap.

And the drinks were more pricey than the sweets: 165 baht for a cappuccino and 140 baht for a pitcher of English breakfast tea. Plus 70 baht for a bottle of Minere water... Ouch!!!!

At present, they're also running a promotional menu featuring a variety of strawberry items...

post-53787-1245811883_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1245811890_thumb.jpg

The deserts were good, and the setting was peaceful and pleasant. Now if they were just a bit more reasonably priced... :)

Thithi... you said before you liked chocolate-banana... Me too... hehehehe... So that was one of my desert orders there... Pretty good.... Not too big in size... But not expensive either... Just be careful what else you order... or take to go....

• 4 weeks later...

Stopped by the Mousses and Meringues shop on Suk Soi 31 today for the first time, sampled a couple of their delicious cake slices, and came away very happy. (02-662-1290). They appear to have no regular food, no menu, some coffees, a pretty good selection of teas, and some WONDERFUL cakes, mostly priced at 90 baht per slice.

The shop is actually very pleasant, modern, comfortable and air conditioned, with a few tables and cushioned chairs/couches for sitting inside. To get there, go up Suk Soi 31 a few blocks from the main road to the intersection where the Euro Hotel is located. Turn left at the corner as the soi goes one block sideways, and then continues upward. M&M is located about a block up on the right hand side of the street opposite a Japanse karaoke place.

post-53787-1248262584_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1248262598_thumb.jpg

Their selection of cakes tends to lean heavily toward the chocolates, coffees, mochas and nut flavors. But there's also cheesecakes, fruit toppings, a tiramisu, and a variety of other things, include quite a selection of their own cookies.

post-53787-1248263913_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1248263941_thumb.jpg

What they get very right, IMHO, is a great dairy cream filling base for their toppings and cake fillings... not too sweet, very fresh, just right, along with light and moist cake. Very much in what I'd call the Japanese mode of cake shop/bakery.

I tried their widely-praised "Sticky, Chewy Banoffee" (banana and coffee filling?) cake along with their "Ovaltine Roll" -- both delicious. Among the cakes I've had in BKK, I'd rank M&M right about equal with the offerings from Coffee Beans by Dao, both as first-rate places for great deserts.

post-53787-1248263982_thumb.jpg

Sticky Chewy Banoffee - 90 baht

post-53787-1248263999_thumb.jpg

Ovaltine Roll - 90 baht

Just a mention of a very pleasant (but not cheap) deserts/light meals cafe we visited for sweets the other day... FlourWorx at the Grand Millennium Sukhumvit.... on Asoke Road just above Sukhumvit Road... short walk from BTS Asoke or MRT Sukhumvit. Open daily 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Lovely setting on the ground floor of this hotel... Good service... comfortable cushioned chairs... quiet and peaceful.

post-53787-1245811780_thumb.jpg

But..I know..you want to hear about the food...The GF had two deserts, and I had two deserts, and all four, relatively light and modest in size, were quite tasty..

Very light, fresh and pleasant lemon yogurt cake: 100 baht

post-53787-1245811811_thumb.jpg

For Thithi... a very sweet and creamy/rich chocolate-banana mini-pie: 60 baht

post-53787-1245811834_thumb.jpg

A low-fat mini apple pie: 60 baht

and a Strawberry/Whipped Cream Omelette (made with a thin sweet cake patty (not fried egg): 110 baht

For all their items, add on 17% via a 10% service charge and 7% VAT... so it's not cheap.

And the drinks were more pricey than the sweets: 165 baht for a cappuccino and 140 baht for a pitcher of English breakfast tea. Plus 70 baht for a bottle of Minere water... Ouch!!!!

At present, they're also running a promotional menu featuring a variety of strawberry items...

post-53787-1245811883_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1245811890_thumb.jpg

The deserts were good, and the setting was peaceful and pleasant. Now if they were just a bit more reasonably priced... :)

nice looking place ..must give it a visit.........there is also a very good bakery in the restaurant at the nana hotel...

hmm again havent had any sweets for a big while already!!!

another place to try there, wooo hoooo

a friend told me that there is a bakery shop on Tong Lor called After You... the choco-mousse is yummy

Cherubin (SP) Suk. 33

Kakao (Chocolate Lava Melt) President Park , Suk. 24

Bangkok Bakery Co. (Blueberry Cheese Cake) JW Marriott Suk. 2

Spring / Summer (Cup "C" , Better Than Sex) Suk. 49/11

Shame you don't like coffee shops because Coffee Bean By Dao has some excellent stuff! Ekamai Soi 10

Cheers

I can vouch for these two also. Well, I lived in President Park for a while and Cacao is just there, they sell chocolates also. I think it is owned by the same guy who owns PP.

I do think the Marriott has some great cheesecakes and western food at a reasonable price. Their chocolates are nice also. About 500 baht for 16 or 24 , I cannot remember, but they were better than kakoa's. The blueberry is nice, the strawberry is nice as when you order it they only then put the strawberries on it fresh with the coulis.

Edited by vedantafx