Scammed.

Moonrakers

One thing to consider is to never sign your name on the back of a debit/credit card. Indicate something like "Check ID", "Ask for ID", etc. so that the merchant will request additional information... that is proper ID (passport, Thai ID card, etc).

Full-blown identity theft crimes are just a moment away in Thailand, and there is nothing in place to prevent it (i.e. the banks and the gov't are not prepared). Good luck to all those that accept Thai debit/credit cards with no warranties against unauthorized use. You are just setting yourself up to get robbed. For all you know, it could be the actions of a banker that is sharing personal data.

If a crime is easy to commit, it will probably happen with greater frequency. I'm surprised the type of scam reported in the OP doesn't happen many times in each day.

Is the bank wrong/lying? Is your wife wrong/lying?

Is the vendor lying ?

If the card in question was cloned after being skimmed in an ATM or at another retail outlet - it is possible that the sales assistant at the store that sold the camera is in on the scam by accepting cards from another person within the ring. It takes a techie to make the cards then 'foot soldiers' to go out and buy stuff that is in turn sold to generate cash.

If the banks anti-fraud unit were on the case they might scan earlier transactions from your wife's account and compare with other transactions that appear prior to frauds on other accounts, quickly finds the store where cards are being skimmed.

Is the bank wrong/lying? Is your wife wrong/lying?

Is the vendor lying ?

If the card in question was cloned after being skimmed in an ATM or at another retail outlet - it is possible that the sales assistant at the store that sold the camera is in on the scam by accepting cards from another person within the ring. It takes a techie to make the cards then 'foot soldiers' to go out and buy stuff that is in turn sold to generate cash.

If the banks anti-fraud unit were on the case they might scan earlier transactions from your wife's account and compare with other transactions that appear prior to frauds on other accounts, quickly finds the store where cards are being skimmed.

I got a new credit card last month and someone was kind enough to break it in for me with a $2100 charge before I even got it in the mail. They don't necessarily need to clone the card from a swipe after you have it. In fact, bank employees could be making duplicates on the same machine as they are making your original. BTW, this was a US credit card not Thai issued that I had trouble with.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pleased that my bank refuse to give me credit card, despite my wealth and property, as I'm too old.

So I don't keep any large amounts of money which may be stolen electronically or otherwise.

As my money (pension) arrives I spend it as fast as possible..but she is still asking for more.

I do wonder who will get my Baht800,000 retirement visa (on deposit), when I shuffle off this mortal coil..no will, no

dependents and I hate everyone. (l'enfer, est les autres).

I'm only using credit cards for purchases and also ATM transactions. But a debit card requires a PIN, a security code to be entered for verification?! This is customary in the UK while in Germany, vendors still rely on the good old signature.

A debit card without the PIN would be pretty useless. So what is the whole story?

I certainly would act immediately and investigate this, despite the low loss. How did the customer look like? Does the vendor have the sales receipt? Does the shop have a video surveillance camera?

I'm only using credit cards for purchases and also ATM transactions. But a debit card requires a PIN, a security code to be entered for verification?! This is customary in the UK while in Germany, vendors still rely on the good old signature.

A debit card without the PIN would be pretty useless. So what is the whole story?

I certainly would act immediately and investigate this, despite the low loss. How did the customer look like? Does the vendor have the sales receipt? Does the shop have a video surveillance camera?

As I have said in post #31. It was a bank error and the money has been returned to the account. :o

Songkran day I used my ATM card (issued in the US) in Pattaya at Villa Market and at Ayutthaya Bank ATM (the only use of that card for 2 weeks) and 2 days later the card was being used in Malaysia for purchases. The issuing bank stopped the card and then cancelled when I contacted them and sent me a new card out. I had to mail and fax them info but they took the charges off immediately.

In July I went to Laos and returning from Laos they put a hold on my card again, but a quick e-mail (via ssl internal mail) had it back on in minutes. Thank goodness for fraud protection!

One thing to consider is to never sign your name on the back of a debit/credit card. Indicate something like "Check ID", "Ask for ID", etc. so that the merchant will request additional information... that is proper ID (passport, Thai ID card, etc).

Nope, never do that. Just sign your card. Many vendors in the U.S. don't know the hel_l to think when you do that, and then won't take your card. I'm sure it would just confuse in Thailand as well.

Glad the OP was just about a bank error. Hasn't slowed the thread down though so here's my 2 cents. :o

Never thought entering cc info online was a good idea, but needed air tickets for a last minute New Years Holiday. Within a week of buying my airasia tickets online (Home pc, no other users, no malware found and almost two years ago now) the bank froze my visa card due to $4000 in charges from 4 countries on 3 continents! They faxed me the form for 'statement of unathorized charges' and I faxed it back to them. Didn't cost me a cent and the new card was issued within a week. (I did not have the airasia charges credited back though, darn!)

I never heard another word even though I was interested in where the security breach took place. Surprise, airasia did not respond to my queries at all.

I believe the VISA fraud protection comes with the name visa and even a debit card with VISA on it should be protected. I now use only my K-bank online only card which is also 'verified by visa'. It is actually a debit, but the limit can be set and reset online for whatever amount is needed for a particular purchase.

The one time pin # sent to my mobile adds to my feeling of security.

I also check for unusual atm slots and try to use busy well lit atm machines. Also agree that more fraud is coming to a country we know and love!