Programming Skills In Los

JJDinsay

Seems that LOS is more a VB shop than C or C++ is this true? All developers for major banks who develop programs in-house seem to be coding in VB. Most of their HR staff when they post something look for VB and not C or C++. Any insights on my hopefully incorrect assumption?

Seems that LOS is more a VB shop than C or C++ is this true?  All developers for major banks who develop programs in-house seem to be coding in VB.  Most of their HR staff when they post something look for VB and not C or C++.  Any insights on my hopefully incorrect assumption?

This was the sign of the times back in the nineties. With the vast increase in computer power, extracting the last percent of speed from a machine was no longer necessary and ease of production and maintenance came more to the fore. VB, for all its faults, is easier to get into than your average C/C++ programme and you don't need to be a programming whizz in order to do so.

I think you'll find this situation will continue and become ubiquitous.

Seems that LOS is more a VB shop than C or C++ is this true?  All developers for major banks who develop programs in-house seem to be coding in VB.  Most of their HR staff when they post something look for VB and not C or C++.   Any insights on my hopefully incorrect assumption?

I have two farang friends working as programmers in Thai banks. They use C++ and Java. Generally speaking, if not strictly speaking, real world transactional applications that handles bank acc/db information would not be written in VB6, in-house programs... maybe.

Yes I understand that, all their in-house programs seem to be VB. But any realworld transaction seems to be coded in C or C++. We are looking for the possibility of opening up a development shop out here in LOS, any idea where to look fro C or C++? Put an ad out in Post a while back but not many reponses.

Regionally VB does seem to be the language of choice.

Unless you are particularly looking for foreign workers, the Bangkok Post is probably not going to produce too many responses. Try a Thai newspaper, recruitment publication or web site.

For dual Language try:

http://www.Jobthai.com

For ideas on salaries:

http://www.ethailand.com/index.php?id=502

Yes I understand that, all their in-house programs seem to be VB.  But any realworld transaction seems to be coded in C or C++.  We are looking for the possibility of opening up a development shop out here in LOS, any idea where to look fro C or C++?  Put an ad out in Post a while back but not many reponses.

Ok, finding good C++ skills in Thailand is really hard. On the MS platform good Visual C++, ATL, MFC people are rare.

Can you tell me what kind of systems you are going to be building? Seems you have chosen the MS platform.

Linux/Unix/Java skills are quite good in Thailand. This may be an option.

MS.NET platform is your other main option.

Depending on your computing knowledge, decisions such as these are best made by an experienced consultant. Feel free to contact me and I'll do my best to guide you.