Road Biker (bicycle)

pete600

Well i have had 4 weeks cycling round Patong and a few trips over the mountain (Killer). I am getting a bit board by my self is there any cycling clubs in Phuket ?

Or any one that just fancy's a ride out.

Road bike or MTB?

Read the fred's name, geeeeeeez

Well i have had 4 weeks cycling round Patong and a few trips over the mountain (Killer). I am getting a bit board by my self is there any cycling clubs in Phuket ?

Road bike or MTB?

Road

Jeeeeeeeeez, it says bicycle, <deleted>.

You ride them upstairs around balcony, I dunno about the road. :o .

Don't know of any farang bicycle club, but there are several Thai clubs. Ask the bike shops, they should be able to tell you.

If you like going over to Kamala, check out the Kamala bike shop (can't remember the name). Make a right turn at the second light (going north). Go about 100-200m, there should be a tiny shop on your right (tiny white-painted shop, go slowly or you'll miss it). If you get to the T-junction, you've gone too far. The owner is a young fanatic who rides 3-4xtimes a week with his pals. I'm sure he'll have you along if you can keep up. I remember he also rides road but with a MTB.

If you're in Patong, go up the mountain road behind Nanai in the evening. Lots of guys do that hill regularly, you could hook up with them.

Have fun and be very, very careful.

Good riding...

Don't know of any farang bicycle club, but there are several Thai clubs. Ask the bike shops, they should be able to tell you.

If you like going over to Kamala, check out the Kamala bike shop (can't remember the name). Make a right turn at the second light (going north). Go about 100-200m, there should be a tiny shop on your right (tiny white-painted shop, go slowly or you'll miss it). If you get to the T-junction, you've gone too far. The owner is a young fanatic who rides 3-4xtimes a week with his pals. I'm sure he'll have you along if you can keep up. I remember he also rides road but with a MTB.

If you're in Patong, go up the mountain road behind Nanai in the evening. Lots of guys do that hill regularly, you could hook up with them.

Good riding...

Thanks for the info macx will give Kamla a try

Hi There

my name is Danny

I have been here for I month and brought my road bike. I live in BangTao and cycle several times a week. Remarkably on one of my early rides I did come across some road bikers who were Thai and had Thalang Bicycle club on their jersies. I did get the number of one but havent followed up yet.

Anyway if you are interested I am always happy to have company on my rides.

my number is 0805345512

BTW which mountain is killer?

Hi Danny will give you a call next week should have my bike fixed by then think the bottom bracket has gone. Been over to the bike shop in Kata but the cant do it until Monday.

The Killer Mountain (for me anyway) is the one out of Patong towards Kamala.

What sort of distance do you do when go out ? I am doing about 10-15 miles a day. The max i have done is 45 miles.

Would not want to slow you down

Pete

Hi Danny will give you a call next week should have my bike fixed by then think the bottom bracket has gone. Been over to the bike shop in Kata but the cant do it until Monday.

What sort of distance do you do when go out ? I am doing about 10-15 miles a day. The max i have done is 45 miles.

Pete

Hi Pete

You must be American..talking in miles.

I used to do alot but was off the bike for a couple of years , so starting again and building up...I did 70km I guess about 45 on Sunday and that the most I have done. During the week do shorter more intense sessions eg killer hill lol

Yeh Ive done killer hill a few times and it hurts!

Thalang Bike shop is great ...really top mechanic..he might be able to help you sooner..he's open weekends. tel 076 274 352 , or mobile 018919795

give me a call anytime

Pete

Hi Pete

You must be American..talking in miles.

I used to do alot but was off the bike for a couple of years , so starting again and building up...I did 70km I guess about 45 on Sunday and that the most I have done. During the week do shorter more intense sessions eg killer hill lol

Yeh Ive done killer hill a few times and it hurts!

Thalang Bike shop is great ...really top mechanic..he might be able to help you sooner..he's open weekends. tel 076 274 352 , or mobile 018919795

give me a call anytime

Going over to Kata 2 moro to Siam bike tours see if i can catch the owner in see if he can sort it out for me.

If not will go to Thalang Bike its just a pain in the arse getting over there.

PS

I am from the UK :o

Good riding...

Thanks for the info macx will give Kamla a try

Hey Macx

Been over to Kamala found the bike shop its more MTB than Road bikes but the Guys in the said if i want to join them at the weekends i can. But the are talking about rides out to Krabi. Might have to give that a miss till i get a few more miles under my belt before i go that far :o

Thanks again for the info

I am to scared to ride on these streets alone. Would be great to know if there is like a hash or even better Critical Mass!

I used to do Midnight Riderz once a month in Hollywood about 10pm. It was great and about the only think I liked when I went back to the states.

There is safety in numbers and at this point I dont even have a bike but I miss it so much!

What are your thoughts about riding solo on the wild streets of Phuket>

hey, i've since moved out of phuket a few months ago, but used to ride with a bunch of thai guys all the time, most associated with beach boys in kata. everyone usually met up at nai harn lake at about 1630/1700, then just bike wherever and finish at sunset at the lake. a couple speak a little english, mostly mtb but a couple guys on road bikes, but some of the mtb guys can keep a good pace on the road anyway. i think they'd have no problem anyone comin out to join them

pete600,

No worries, just rack up the miles, you'll join them soon enough.

I'm more of a solo rider. Sorry, don't know of any other connection.

It's good to rack up your training miles in the rainy season. In Jan-Apr, the heat and traffic will be brutal.

Good riding...

I am to scared to ride on these streets alone. Would be great to know if there is like a hash or even better Critical Mass!

I used to do Midnight Riderz once a month in Hollywood about 10pm. It was great and about the only think I liked when I went back to the states.

There is safety in numbers and at this point I dont even have a bike but I miss it so much!

I was apprehensive but I have had no problems at all apart from the occassional idiot who comes out of no where from a side street without looking. I usually ride defensively anyway...ready on the brakes. I am actually surprised how good some of the roads are and many have wide shoulders for motorbikes and cyclists. I dont feel less safe than I did riding in Australia where there are plenty of bicycle haters and road rage! I get lots of encouragement from other road users (Like thumbs up) and sometimes motorbikes who are happy to give a "tow"

having said that there is aways an argument that it is safer in numbers so I personally would like to have a group to ride with as well.

Update

Just contacted one of the guys from Thalang bicycle club (about 6 Thai guys all with expensive road bikes) and will be joing them 7 am Sunday at Cherngtalay school for an 80-100km ride...wish me luck!

Update

Just contacted one of the guys from Thalang bicycle club (about 6 Thai guys all with expensive road bikes) and will be joing them 7 am Sunday at Cherngtalay school for an 80-100km ride...wish me luck!

Let us know how you get on

and good luck

I was apprehensive but I have had no problems at all apart from the occassional idiot who comes out of no where from a side street without looking. I usually ride defensively anyway...ready on the brakes. I am actually surprised how good some of the roads are and many have wide shoulders for motorbikes and cyclists. I dont feel less safe than I did riding in Australia where there are plenty of bicycle haters and road rage! I get lots of encouragement from other road users (Like thumbs up) and sometimes motorbikes who are happy to give a "tow"

having said that there is aways an argument that it is safer in numbers so I personally would like to have a group to ride with as well.

I don't find it to bad riding around early morning any time before 11am. After that in Patong it starts getting busy. As long as you keep a eye out for the Tuk tuk's it's ok.

I ride most days from Phuket airport and up to Sarasin bridge and back - about 30km total. I go along the MaiKhao beach path and then quiet roads in north Maikhao. There are some good roads going around the lakes near to Marriott Hotel where I can do short sprints etc. Very enjoyable.

Also agree that Thalang bike shop is excellent.

Simon

I don't find it to bad riding around early morning any time before 11am. After that in Patong it starts getting busy. As long as you keep a eye out for the Tuk tuk's it's ok.

I ride nearly every day in Bangkok, my daily distance is from about 25kms to 75kms - weather permitting; I don't ride in the rain nor do I ride after a very heavy overnight storm. I, too, prefer the early morning and am normally out at first light until about 11am - less traffic and not too hot.

Have you looked at this site? Some of my rides are here.

I ride nearly every day in Bangkok, my daily distance is from about 25kms to 75kms - weather permitting; I don't ride in the rain nor do I ride after a very heavy overnight storm. I, too, prefer the early morning and am normally out at first light until about 11am - less traffic and not too hot.

Have you looked at this site? Some of my rides are here.

It looks a good site had a quick look seen a ride from Phuket - Bkk :D

i have started to use www.bikejournal.com i see you are on there as well it's good for keeping track of your miles.

Could do with more folks from Thailand joining. I see Thailand ranked 5th on the country stats with only 16 members compered with USA ranked 1st with 27765 :o

Pete

Update

Met up Sunday morning with 9 thai guys, some from Phuket Town but most from Thalang Cycling club. Two were on mountain bikes and the rest on road bikes.

Set off at a reasonable pace north past airport and over the bridge. After about 10-15km from the bridge took a detour which was like a long loop through scenic areas. I really need to check a map to see where it was. This road was ok most of the way but in parts bumpy with some potholes.

After about 60km the bunch split up and I fuond myself riding solo between 2 groups for about 10km. Then we hit the main road again stopped for refreshmenst and regrouped. After that the pace picked up and wee were riding in a line wheel to wheel, lead by two guys who were both about 55 really strong and fit. The pace was cracking.

Having not done more than 70km ride since I got here (after a long layoff from cycling) I was starting to feel the pinch but managed to stay in the bunch. About 10km after crossing the bridge again on the way back things slowed a little for a moment and I managed to touch the front wheel of the bike in front. I lost control and crashed at about 30kmh. I slid on my rights side and my head (helmet) bounced on the road. I was dazed but relieved to find that I just had briuses and grazes on leg and arm and nothing broken. Unfortunately the guy behind me crashed over the top he was not injured but his frame broke. I have offered to pay for a replacement.

All in all a bad experience but really lucky not to be much worse!. Ive been cycling for years (including in large bunches wheel to wheel) and this is the first time this has happened to me.

After cleaning my wounds I manged to get back on my bike and slowly back home with the others (the other guy got a lift home). total distance about 115km!

Despite the accident it was a good day and I will be back. They meet every Sunday. One of the guys called me today to check i was ok..they were really nice to me. He said they will do about 80km next sunday, for which i will be better prepared and more careful!

^ Glad that you are OK but please replace your helmet! We cyclists are built tough. I had my first crash with a motor vehicle in May - bike was a write-off and I had a small graze on my right elbow and right knee. I turned 60 last weekend and try to get out every day - weather permitting.