Road Biker (bicycle)

pete600

Sounds like a good day out until the crash. At least you are ok there is all ways next week.

Think i need to be getting a few miles training before i go that distance.

Tried to get my bike repaired at the weekend thought the bottom bracket had gone. But had the bike shop strip it down and re gresed it. But still getting a clicking noise from the bottom bracket or the back wheel.

Hope to get is sorted by 2 moro

Sounds like a good day out until the crash. At least you are ok there is all ways next week.

Think i need to be getting a few miles training before i go that distance.

Tried to get my bike repaired at the weekend thought the bottom bracket had gone. But had the bike shop strip it down and re gresed it. But still getting a clicking noise from the bottom bracket or the back wheel.

Hope to get is sorted by 2 moro

Still a bit sore but will be back in the saddle tomorrow. That distance was a bit far for me .....needed to go 70km, then 80 then 90 and so on. 115 was a bit too much of jump although crash aside its easier in a group than alone. Anyway I do a mixture of hard rides and easy cruises, so give me a call if you want to ride.

Good writeup on the ride and pileup, Bluedan. Even mini-pelotons are rare sights in Phuket. Hope you'll get back in the saddle and post some of those routes soon. It's a decent ride from Bang Tao all the way up to Khao Lak, spend the night, have a swim, get a massage, enjoy a big meal, head back the next morning. One of my favorite rides :o

Good writeup on the ride and pileup, Bluedan. Even mini-pelotons are rare sights in Phuket. Hope you'll get back in the saddle and post some of those routes soon. It's a decent ride from Bang Tao all the way up to Khao Lak, spend the night, have a swim, get a massage, enjoy a big meal, head back the next morning. One of my favorite rides :o

Thanks, hopefully posts from now on are only about rides...no more pileups. Got back in the saddle this morning, BangTao to the top of what I call Kamala Hill, turned around and then rode back to Cherngtalay and towards Thalang, then turned around to get ready for work. Ride was about 35km. Still feeling pretty sore so pleased with the effort.

I come from Adelaide South Australia and many cyclists there post times for hillclimbs on a website so I have entered my climbs in Phuket..both sides of Kamala Hill. Here is the link for the website http://www.hillclimbr.com/sites/climbr/climbr.nsf and for my climb http://www.hillclimbr.com/sites/climbr/cli...6A?OpenDocument for anyone who is interested.

Nice website.

I guess if you want to do all the good climbs in Phuket, it would be Nai Yang to Naithon, Naithon to Bang Tao, Surin hill, Kamala hill, back of Nanai (Patong, a bit out of the way and not all that long of a climb, but have nice short stiff stretches), Karon hill, Kata hill to the viewpoint, Naiharn to Lem Prom Thep, go up Chao fa Rd take the road up the Big Buddha temple, and then retrace you step, or better yet have a car waiting there with some cold ones. Avoid the weekend if possible.

I figure there must be a few more that I'm not aware of.

I'm on the flats right now, so am missing the mountains :o

Nice website.

I guess if you want to do all the good climbs in Phuket, it would be Nai Yang to Naithon, Naithon to Bang Tao, Surin hill, Kamala hill, back of Nanai (Patong, a bit out of the way and not all that long of a climb, but have nice short stiff stretches), Karon hill, Kata hill to the viewpoint, Naiharn to Lem Prom Thep, go up Chao fa Rd take the road up the Big Buddha temple, and then retrace you step, or better yet have a car waiting there with some cold ones. Avoid the weekend if possible.

Thanks for the info. I have done the road past Layan and Naithorn...full of challenging shortish climbs. I would like to try the Big Buddha climb as would like to do a longer climb. I have read that the road is not all sealed in which case no good on my road bike..is that correct. I read the climb is 5.5km do you know how steep?

Got my bike back from Kata beach boy but still not fixed.

Still getting a clinking sound.

Road it back to Patong over Karon/Patong hill. When i hit the hill and got on the pedals the clinking stopped.

Back on the flat just steady away the noise came back.

:o

I don't know the exact percentage, but no worse than the stretch going from Kata up to the view point, just longer climbs and bumpier. Yep, not fully sealed yet. It's a rough ride around where the work is going on, about 200m or so (last I was up there a couple of months ago). Anyone went up that way recently? Again, avoid it on the weekend when lots of people go up to the Buddha.

Road it back to Patong over Karon/Patong hill. When i hit the hill and got on the pedals the clinking stopped.

Thats a pity...must be annoying..If you can give Thalang Bicycle shop a try but call first openning hours are not consistent

Thats a pity...must be annoying..If you can give Thalang Bicycle shop a try but call first openning hours are not consistent

Just give the bike a good Degrease and lubed everything up. So will give it a try 2 moro will head out in the Thalang

direction and see if i can make it.

Got a link from Mr Hippo for mapping your ride uses Google map www.mapmyride.com

I have logged a few rides on there www.mapmyride.com/ride/thailand/pa-tong-kamala/833197583536]

Edited by pete600

Well i have had 4 weeks cycling round Patong and a few trips over the mountain (Killer). I am getting a bit board by my self is there any cycling clubs in Phuket ?

Or any one that just fancy's a ride out.

Update

Just contacted one of the guys from Thalang bicycle club (about 6 Thai guys all with expensive road bikes) and will be joing them 7 am Sunday at Cherngtalay school for an 80-100km ride...wish me luck!

Met up Sunday morning with 9 thai guys, some from Phuket Town but most from Thalang Cycling club. Two were on mountain bikes and the rest on road bikes.

Set off at a reasonable pace north past airport and over the bridge. After about 10-15km from the bridge took a detour which was like a long loop through scenic areas. I really need to check a map to see where it was. This road was ok most of the way but in parts bumpy with some potholes.

After about 60km the bunch split up and I fuond myself riding solo between 2 groups for about 10km. Then we hit the main road again stopped for refreshmenst and regrouped. After that the pace picked up and wee were riding in a line wheel to wheel, lead by two guys who were both about 55 really strong and fit. The pace was cracking.

Having not done more than 70km ride since I got here (after a long layoff from cycling) I was starting to feel the pinch but managed to stay in the bunch. About 10km after crossing the bridge again on the way back things slowed a little for a moment and I managed to touch the front wheel of the bike in front. I lost control and crashed at about 30kmh. I slid on my rights side and my head (helmet) bounced on the road. I was dazed but relieved to find that I just had briuses and grazes on leg and arm and nothing broken. Unfortunately the guy behind me crashed over the top he was not injured but his frame broke. I have offered to pay for a replacement.

All in all a bad experience but really lucky not to be much worse!. Ive been cycling for years (including in large bunches wheel to wheel) and this is the first time this has happened to me.

After cleaning my wounds I manged to get back on my bike and slowly back home with the others (the other guy got a lift home). total distance about 115km!

Despite the accident it was a good day and I will be back. They meet every Sunday. One of the guys called me today to check i was ok..they were really nice to me. He said they will do about 80km next sunday, for which i will be better prepared and more careful!

Hey Danny did you get out on Sunday with the Guys from Thalang or was it to wet?

Enjoyed the cruise out on Sat with you got a few more miles in after we split up ended up doing 50 miles (80km).

My legs where a bit sore but better than i expected and a 2 hour massage sorted them out.

Going to go back to Thalang bike shop this week and see if i can get my gearing changed so i can get over them hills.

Current set up is 53/35 12,13,14,15,16,19,21,23

If any one has any advice on a better setup would be appreciated.

Pete

Hey Danny did you get out on Sunday with the Guys from Thalang or was it to wet?

Enjoyed the cruise out on Sat with you got a few more miles in after we split up ended up doing 50 miles (80km).

My legs where a bit sore but better than i expected and a 2 hour massage sorted them out.

Going to go back to Thalang bike shop this week and see if i can get my gearing changed so i can get over them hills.

Pete

Yeh Pete it was good, pity I had to get back home I would like to try that nasty climb into Patong from the other side.

Met up with 4 other guys on Sunday. I managed to stay clear of trouble! We did a 90km ride with a decent break in the middle. We stopped at some town a few km the other side of Sarasin Bridge. The guys knew a guy there who sells high end bike equipment and we all had our jaws dropping at the sight of some really beautiful carbon fibre frames and other expensive gear.

I must be really starting to benefit from the Kms I have been putting in because I felt very strong on the way back and lead the "peleton" most of the way back to Thalang. I am away this weekend so will do some hard early morning rides during the week weather permitting.

Your gear setup makes it tough to do those climbs. If you have tthe money you should upgrade to a 9 or 10 speed with at least a 25 tooth cluster on the rear. The difference should be very noticeable. I am considering upgrading in the next few months from 9 to 10 speed if this guy I met can get me a bargain , so might have a really nice second hand groupset for sale. I dont really need it ...but you know how boys are with their toys!

Pete

Are you sure that it is 53/35 and not the more usual 53/39? You can get 12 - 25 blocks but you may have to change the rear mech and chain.

Changing to a 12-25 block will drop your bottom gear from 44.7" to 41.2 (53/39) or from 40.1 to 36.9 (53/35)

An expensive solution would be to get a triple but this would also mean a new BB and changer and would only put your bottom gear down to 34.4"

How far is the hill from your house? Are there any similar hills in your neighbourhood that could be part of your training rides?

AS Greg LeMond once said "Cycling doesn't become easier, we just get faster!"

Pete

Are you sure that it is 53/35 and not the more usual 53/39? You can get 12 - 25 blocks but you may have to change the rear mech and chain.

Changing to a 12-25 block will drop your bottom gear from 44.7" to 41.2 (53/39) or from 40.1 to 36.9 (53/35)

An expensive solution would be to get a triple but this would also mean a new BB and changer and would only put your bottom gear down to 34.4"

How far is the hill from your house? Are there any similar hills in your neighbourhood that could be part of your training rides?

AS Greg LeMond once said "Cycling doesn't become easier, we just get faster!"

Yep 100% sure 53/35 the bike is 12 years old so that might have something to do with it.

Called in to my LBS and they recommended 12-26. I will go with this and see how i get on.

The bike shop had a nice new shinny trek 4.7 full carbon that caught my eye might even trade up. Since i have had my current bike for 12 years :D

I am in Patong Phuket and there is 3 ways out all over hills :o all quite big

Thanks for your help

• 1 month later...
Nice website.

Thanks for the info. I have done the road past Layan and Naithorn...full of challenging shortish climbs. I would like to try the Big Buddha climb as would like to do a longer climb. I have read that the road is not all sealed in which case no good on my road bike..is that correct. I read the climb is 5.5km do you know how steep?

Had a ride up to big Buddha to day the road is not to bad there are 3 stretches at 20meters long that have not been sealed. Should be ok if you take care

The climb is about 4km long going from 100ft to 12,100ft the max gradient is 24% but only for a few meters

The ride can be found here http://connect.garmin.com/activity/1325263

• 3 months later...
Well i have had 4 weeks cycling round Patong and a few trips over the mountain (Killer). I am getting a bit board by my self is there any cycling clubs in Phuket ?

Try the Hash House Harriers of Phuket. They have a bike hash.

Z...take a chill pill!

Try the Hash House Harriers of Phuket. They have a bike hash.

Z...take a chill pill!

I did look at the web site but think it is more for MTB.

I have met up with a few people in Patong with road bike nothing to serious just a few miles early morning or late afternoon