Is It Possible To Work Without A Work Permit?

Wondering if anybody can shed any light on this statement in a job advertisement that I saw today...

THAI NATIONAL OR MUST BE LEGALLY ABLE TO WORK IN THAILAND WITHOUT THE COMPANY HAVING TO OBTAIN A WORK PERMIT

I am not a Thai National so was wondering how you can legally be able to work in Thailand as a Farang without a company applying for a Work Permit on your behalf!?!

Thanks to any advice!!!

Toss...

I have never heard of a foreigner not needing a work permit at all (unless they mean foreigners who have been granted Thai citizenship)

I have heard of cases where a foreigner with Permanent Residency is excluded from the quota systems that companies must comply with (4 Thais / 1 farang, 2M Bt share capital / 1 farang etc etc). They still need a work permit, but it becomes much simpler to obtain. There doesn't seem to be a hard & fast rule on this, it's up to the official's discretion.

The only place I know of where you don't need a work permit to actually work here is at the British Council, and they don't have to pay ruddy tax!

I'm not sure if this would apply to all government doodahs like the BC? Non-imm F I think is the Visa they get?

I think the job advert is a con mate, they're probably referring to people on extended spousal Visas, extended retirement Visas and those that already maybe have a work permit (maybe perm residents as well), and thus they don't need to leave every x amount of days. But ALL of these lot legally will still need a WP to work for that specific company!

WITHOUT THE COMPANY HAVING TO OBTAIN A WORK PERMIT

The operative words here are "without the company having to obtain a W/P.

That means if you are like me and you have a WP yourself, then you can be considered.

BUT it also depends on what your are allowed to do on your WP.

The other thing is then you would be a consultant from the actual company that has your WP to the company that wants you to work for them.

So as an example your wife owns a company called "My Wife's Company", and they have a W/P for you to be a "Consultant" where the company needs you to work (Anywhere in Thailand), but, your wife's company doesn't have much work, then you can consult with the other company, as long as it doesn;t breach the conditions of the WP....