Ni Contribitons And Pension

Desertexile

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great feedback Gents - thank you.

Ive decided to go ahead and pay it off now, that will give me 16 years of paid up contributions and the 4,700 really is sod all even if the pension service went tits up in the future. I will pay the remaining 14 years at some point in the future.

As lots of you Gents said, anything could happen - Im only 34 and I havent ruled out living in Britain for 14 years to see any kids through school age. So I wont pay any more in now for a while as there are still 32 more years to cover just 14 years of payments.

Regards other retirement plans, Ive just spent a very financially successful 7 years in the desert and have built and paid off two houses, one in Thailand and one in the UK. The UK is rented and all the money goes into a pension scheme that matures when I hit 60. Ive also got other investments also so the UK pension is just a top up - and when I do the sums, it isnt really much too pay in when the potential to draw out (in today's terms) is not too bad.

Yep - could get hit by a bus, the UK could cancel all pensions - but then again, all may be rosy and the clock cant be turned back.

Anyways, thanks again for the feedback - much appreciated.

And to the one negative poster - I grew up poor pal, sometimes a shortterm dabble in a victimless, illegal enterprise is all there is to pull yourself up and ensure a brigher future and pay your way through uni whilst supporting yourself and family. You shouldnt be so quick to judge.

Cheers

DE

So, here's my question, if you read this far - do you keep up your NI payments and if not, given the info above and the changes in law, do you reckon its worth it?

Yes mate, definitely.

Paid my NI contributions via my Service pay and HMRC confirmed new quote after law change last year. I finish paying in a couple of months - that's it until 68 for me also, same as you.

I also monitor the lobbying of MPs thru mates still in blighty, as other posters refer to, so if they change our State Pension at entitled age to receive annual increases, great. If it remains at the same rate from entitlement until we croak, so be it.

Well done for not waiting and good for you for planning for your and your family's future.

You may also wish to consider asking HMRC for a letter confirming your Overseas Resident Status. Mine didn't cost me anything and is a useful addition to my current annual visa renewal paperwork (as I cannae marry my Thai missus yet).

Best of luck.

I tried to sign up.

I have not got a clue what my NI number is, its that long since I needed it, anyone know if I can get this online?

I needed mine to get a Seaman's Card and I had to go to a local pension office and prove who I was and then she looked it up on some computer. They also sent a confirmation letter in the post with the number (which I have since lost!) but it's in my Seaman's Card anyway.

That was 8 years ago and maybe they have centralised the pension offices but I doubt you will be able to get your number online; more likely you will need to phone or write them.

I tried to sign up.

I have not got a clue what my NI number is, its that long since I needed it, anyone know if I can get this online?

Someone else asked this quite a time ago and I can't remember what advice was given.

Just found it: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/-t195713.htm...t&p=2048020 , but no answers.

Googled it:

http://www.querycat.com/faq/98b2666358b27a1898ff8afd624562c1 - "If you don’t have a National Insurance number or can’t remember it, visit www.direct.gov.uk. Alternatively, you can contact the National Insurance Contributions Office on 0845 302 1479."

Just to muddy the water a little.

If you are paying class 1 NI. Work abroad/live abroad you can apply for a refund of NI contributions.

When you apply in writing (They will send you a form) offer to have deducted from the refund, class 2 contributions.

This will protect your old age pension, but, you will no longer be entitled to other benefits like jobseekers allowance. But if you live abroad, you won't need it.

Ive decided to go ahead and pay it off now, that will give me 16 years of paid up contributions and the 4,700 really is sod all even if the pension service went tits up in the future. I will pay the remaining 14 years at some point in the future.

Good thread OP. I'm pretty much exactly the same as you although a bit older. You are one of the better off English teachers if 4,700 is sod all.

I've decided not to pay anything yet but making enquiries. Who knows what will happen in the future - maybe the 30 years will reduce to 20 years.

As Guesthosue(who offers good advice on these matters) says, it's a good return.

If you pay only 20 years, will you be entitled to like 2/3 of a full pension?

Does anyone know how much the monthly contribution is if living in Thailand?

You know something , you guys can speculate , argue , contradict or do anything you wish to make you personaly feel happy

and knowledgeable about all things under the sun , this forum is over-run with good meaning individuals like your good selves .

However , my situation is obviously somewhat different for reasons a long way beyond my control , it took me almost a year to

even get confirmation of my estimated pension on retirement , then they changed both the office of application ,

the staff and the system and things happened rather quickly after that .

I had even been denied the fact i was actualy me even though i had records of exemplary service in her majesties armed forces

of 6 years on active duty together with my previous places of employment .

At that time the government wished to pay us little or nothing ,

i opted to wait the extra 5 years for a 50% increase in my pension because i intend to live a long time yet .

When i finaly received my pension it was 25% of what they had previously quoted me , copies of e-mails and

cds of phone conversations did nothing to make them prevail .

What i am receiving , especialy with my exemplary military service ,

does the British government nothing to be proud of , i am a man of honor

with no inclination to lie to people such as yourselves , but please do not denegrate or belittle me ,

i put my ass on the line for 6 years so people like you could live a civilised life and proud of every moment ,

maybe you are not aware , but most full time armed forces of my day felt honored to do our duty to god and the Queen ,

the way you people rant i do not feel i could truthfully do the same for a bunch of degenerates who live in the sh### of Thailand

and cry down their homeland who gave them what and why they are today , despite whether you personal feel if that is good or bad .

Yes pray tell me i can pontificate because i am behind the screen of my computer , but i am in no way hiding there , i have no reason whatsoever to hide .

'Neeranam' Good thread OP. I'm pretty much exactly the same as you although a bit older. You are one of the better off English teachers if 4,700 is sod all.

I've decided not to pay anything yet but making enquiries. Who knows what will happen in the future - maybe the 30 years will reduce to 20 years.

As Guesthosue(who offers good advice on these matters) says, it's a good return.

If you pay only 20 years, will you be entitled to like 2/3 of a full pension?

Does anyone know how much the monthly contribution is if living in Thailand?

Hi, Im not an English teacher, though I have done that in the past when I was young, free and single. However, its financial suicide in my humble opinipn. Guys spend there most financially productive years pushing the present perfect and enjoying life - I decided that Id rather work 6 days a week and 13 hours a day when i was young rather than be forced into it when I'm old.

I was lucky, I hit the dunes 7 years ago and rose with the price of oil - plus I had a boss who recognises talent lol :o .

Anyways......yeh, it cold drop to 20 years mate, but then again it may not hence why I think, on reflection, its well worth taking advantage of the opporunity now to pay it off at 1996 rates!

The 1996 rate was 267, the 2008-2009 rate is 421 - I figure that its worth taking the hit now and then sitting back with just 14 more years to cover. This rate is whether you are in Thailand or any country.

Yes, if you pay 20 years - you get 2/3. Though at these rates, hel_l, its worth paying the lot.

It just took me this thread and another thread to realise it

You know something , you guys can speculate , argue , contradict or do anything you wish to make you personaly feel happy and knowledgeable about all things under the sun , this forum is over-run with good meaning individuals like your good selves . However , my situation is obviously somewhat different for reasons a long way beyond my control , it took me almost a year to even get confirmation of my estimated pension on retirement , then they changed both the office of application , the staff and the system and things happened rather quickly after that . I had even been denied the fact i was actualy me even though i had records of exemplary service in her majesties armed forces of 6 years on active duty together with my previous places of employment . At that time the government wished to pay us little or nothing , i opted to wait the extra 5 years for a 50% increase in my pension because i intend to live a long time yet .When i finaly received my pension it was 25% of what they had previously quoted me , copies of e-mails and cds of phone conversations did nothing to make them prevail . What i am receiving , especialy with my exemplary military service , does the British government nothing to be proud of , i am a man of honor with no inclination to lie to people such as yourselves , but please do not denegrate or belittle me , i put my ass on the line for 6 years so people like you could live a civilised life and proud of every moment , maybe you are not aware , but most full time armed forces of my day felt honored to do our duty to god and the Queen , the way you people rant i do not feel i could truthfully do the same for a bunch of degenerates who live in the sh### of Thailand and cry down their homeland who gave them what and why they are today , despite whether you personal feel if that is good or bad . Yes pray tell me i can pontificate because i am behind the screen of my computer , but i am in no way hiding there , i have no reason whatsoever to hide .
What an interesting thread,everyone has their views and their own personal experiences,I too am ex british army, as I have repeated many times in here, I have spent my working life mostly abroad, but the 1 thing I never forgot no matter where I was NI number and pension subscriptions, no matter how hard it was!! ,a year ago at the ripe old age of 64 I started to organise all the paperwork , pension forecasts ,contact points with the 3 countries concerned, well I was 65 a couple of months ago, and as I have boasted about in here afew times since that wonderful day, I now am the proud recepient of a UK military pension , And age pensions from 3 other countries, I cannothelp but feel you are not telling us everything , in thismodern day and age you only need a NI number from the country concerned and a few months patience, We dont live in thailand now but this applies in any country, patience and proof is all you need!!!! :o

The 1996 rate was 267, the 2008-2009 rate is 421 - I figure that its worth taking the hit now and then sitting back with just 14 more years to cover. This rate is whether you are in Thailand or any country

That's pounds per year, is it?

I'm now 43. I wonder if I could wait until I'm 50 and pay a lump sum for the years I missed?

Surely not - there must be a time limit.

I guess this http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/osc.htm is the place you checked?

Hi there

I bit the bullet and paid 7 missing years (or it might have been 12, can't remember)

I think I now have 17 years paid and 13 to go but as it's 25 years till I will get it

then there's still time to put money away in other forms so that I don't have to wait till

68! Having said that, I've just put retirement back 3 or 4 years by buying land and a house

here way above my budget! Hey ho, as long as I die before I'm skint!

Pay it, it's one less thing to worry about!

David

The 1996 rate was 267, the 2008-2009 rate is 421 - I figure that its worth taking the hit now and then sitting back with just 14 more years to cover. This rate is whether you are in Thailand or any country

That's pounds per year, is it?

I'm now 43. I wonder if I could wait until I'm 50 and pay a lump sum for the years I missed?

Surely not - there must be a time limit.

I guess this http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/osc.htm is the place you checked?

When I first researched this topic several years ago I understood that contributions can be back paid up to acertain time limit. I think it was six years.

13 years is a bit much to expect, and it will depend on your circumstances if you were in the UK for some of the time. Then your contributions could well be higher than when abroad.

Best check the rules for time limit. Maybe they have now relaxed the rules due to the current changes

Anybody know if there is a limit as I understood?

For those now looking at the situation, you need to know that the contributions are classed as "voluntary class 2".

Also dont get confused about "bereavement benefit". They may tell you these require 44 years contributions. it does not affect the state pension which will be the new 30 years. If you are married, you may want to pay to the 44 for it but work out the maths whether it is worth paying the extra 14 years. For most of us it is not worth it.

jojo

When I first researched this topic several years ago I understood that contributions can be back paid up to acertain time limit. I think it was six years.

13 years is a bit much to expect, and it will depend on your circumstances if you were in the UK for some of the time. Then your contributions could well be higher than when abroad.

Best check the rules for time limit. Maybe they have now relaxed the rules due to the current changes

Anybody know if there is a limit as I understood?

For those now looking at the situation, you need to know that the contributions are classed as "voluntary class 2".

Also dont get confused about "bereavement benefit". They may tell you these require 44 years contributions. it does not affect the state pension which will be the new 30 years. If you are married, you may want to pay to the 44 for it but work out the maths whether it is worth paying the extra 14 years. For most of us it is not worth it.

jojo

I would like to pay but not right now. How long do I have?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/faqs/vol-conts.htm#3

You can make back payments of Class 3 National Insurance contributions for previous years, but you need to pay before the end of the sixth tax year following the one in which they were due. If you pay after six years, any payments made will not count, for benefit purposes unless the payment is for one or more of the following tax years 1996-07 – 2001-02 when you have until:

5 April 2009 to pay if you reached State Pension age on or after 24 October 2004

5 April 2010 to pay if you reached State Pension age between 6 April 1998 and 24 October 2004

to pay. No higher rate charge will apply for the tax years 1996-97 to 2001-02 if contributions are paid within these time limits.

For the tax years 2002-03 onwards, the normal time limits for the payment of voluntary contributions apply. This means you must pay within six years of the end of the tax year in which voluntary contributions were due. The payment date for the:

2002-03 tax year is 5 April 2009

2003-04 tax year is 5 April 2010

2004-05 tax year is 5 April 2011

2005-06 tax year is 5 April 2012

2006-07 tax year is 5 April 2013

If you want to pay voluntary contributions from 6 April 2002 – 5 April 2006, you should not delay as you may have to pay at a higher rate. The voluntary contribution payment rate can increase after the end of the second tax year following the tax year in which the voluntary contributions were due. If you want to pay after this date please get in touch with us first. This means if the gap is for the 2004-05 tax year the voluntary contribution rate changed from the 6 April 2007.

If you reach State Pension age on or after 6 April 2010 and want to pay voluntary contributions for the 2005-06 tax year, it has been agreed that the higher rate charge will not be applied and contributions will be able to be paid at the original rate. The normal time limit for payment still applies.

If you reach State Pension age on or after 6 April 2010 and have entitlement to Home Responsibilities Protection for any tax year, the higher rate charge will not be applied and contributions will be able to be paid at the original rate.

It is indeed correct that at this moment in time UK Pensioners in Thailand do not receive cost of living increases.
If I'm correct isn't this being challenged in the European Courts at the present time ?

The 100pounds per week desertexile mentioned is actualy 'Per month' if you live outside of the UK ...

Where do you get your "facts" from? Maybe your nickname says it all.

If you live in Thailand and some other countries ("non-uprated"), your pension won't rise each year as, hopefully, it will do for UK residents and UK pensioners in "uprated" countries.

This means that the pension you get on day one is what you will get for the rest of your life unless you go back to the UK (or another "uprated" country). But if you come back to Thailand, your pension will revert back to the original, day one level.

I believe the current full UK state pension is just under 100 GBP per week.

Hopefully the UK govt. will one day stop this unfair discrimination against pensioners in so-called "non-uprated" countries. There is no logic in it. They do it merely because they can. No other European govt. does it.

http://www.britishpensions.org.au/internat..._consortium.htm

Thanks JetSet for that information which confirms my understanding.

I too would be very interested to hear where you get your "facts" from Mr. Dumball. Please tell.

Because i am living with it , how close can you get to the actual , living fact ????

Well you seem to be the only one.

Just to make sure we understand you, what you are saying is that you are a UK pensioner (ie over 65 yrs old, assuming you are a man) who is entitled to a full government pension, ie about 100 pounds a week. You however left the UK and that means that you are now entitled to only a quarter of what you should be getting, ie 25 pounds a week???

If this is what you are saying, all i can say is that there must be something strange going on. I don't know of any pensioner who having left the UK has had their pension cut into a quarter. I don't anyone who would accept this either. Perhaps there's something you are not telling us about your situation that explains this.

I agree...

One possible answer is he hasn't paid the neccessary contributions that gives him 100%.

The rule is clear you get back what you paid in if you have only paid 25% contributions thats what you get back.

and in LOS what you get on week one is what you get for the rest of your life. No index linking of the state pension.

You know something , you guys can speculate , argue , contradict or do anything you wish to make you personaly feel happy and knowledgeable about all things under the sun , this forum is over-run with good meaning individuals like your good selves . However , my situation is obviously somewhat different for reasons a long way beyond my control , it took me almost a year to even get confirmation of my estimated pension on retirement , then they changed both the office of application , the staff and the system and things happened rather quickly after that . I had even been denied the fact i was actualy me even though i had records of exemplary service in her majesties armed forces of 6 years on active duty together with my previous places of employment . At that time the government wished to pay us little or nothing , i opted to wait the extra 5 years for a 50% increase in my pension because i intend to live a long time yet .When i finaly received my pension it was 25% of what they had previously quoted me , copies of e-mails and cds of phone conversations did nothing to make them prevail . What i am receiving , especialy with my exemplary military service , does the British government nothing to be proud of , i am a man of honor with no inclination to lie to people such as yourselves , but please do not denegrate or belittle me , i put my ass on the line for 6 years so people like you could live a civilised life and proud of every moment , maybe you are not aware , but most full time armed forces of my day felt honored to do our duty to god and the Queen , the way you people rant i do not feel i could truthfully do the same for a bunch of degenerates who live in the sh### of Thailand and cry down their homeland who gave them what and why they are today , despite whether you personal feel if that is good or bad . Yes pray tell me i can pontificate because i am behind the screen of my computer , but i am in no way hiding there , i have no reason whatsoever to hide .

For what it's worth, i have utmost respect for people who serve their country like you. I'm just not sure what the relevance is here. You seem to have taken it as a personal slight that people have questioned your information, but how can they not when it's in such contradiction to all the other information available?

To state that your pension is not what it should be is one thing, but to say that any person who leaves the UK automatically has their pension cut into a quarter, is quite another and obviously can not be true, or else surely we would be hearing a lot more people complaining about this?

I maintain that there must be something odd or irregular about your personal circumstances - not that that is necessarily any mistake of your doing, but something has obviously gone wrong and i sincerely hope you get to the bottom of it. A man who has contributed to the country what you have shouldn't have to fight for what he has more than earnt.

For what it's worth, i have utmost respect for people who serve their country like you. I'm just not sure what the relevance is here. You seem to have taken it as a personal slight that people have questioned your information, but how can they not when it's in such contradiction to all the other information available?

To state that your pension is not what it should be is one thing, but to say that any person who leaves the UK automatically has their pension cut into a quarter, is quite another and obviously can not be true, or else surely we would be hearing a lot more people complaining about this?

I maintain that there must be something odd or irregular about your personal circumstances - not that that is necessarily any mistake of your doing, but something has obviously gone wrong and i sincerely hope you get to the bottom of it. A man who has contributed to the country what you have shouldn't have to fight for what he has more than earnt.

Well said rixalex. I too would like to know more about dumball's personal circumstances, specifically what reasons the UK government department have given for his low level of pension.

It is indeed correct that at this moment in time UK Pensioners in Thailand do not receive cost of living increases.
If I'm correct isn't this being challenged in the European Courts at the present time ?

The 100pounds per week desertexile mentioned is actualy 'Per month' if you live outside of the UK ...

Where do you get your "facts" from? Maybe your nickname says it all.

If you live in Thailand and some other countries ("non-uprated"), your pension won't rise each year as, hopefully, it will do for UK residents and UK pensioners in "uprated" countries.

This means that the pension you get on day one is what you will get for the rest of your life unless you go back to the UK (or another "uprated" country). But if you come back to Thailand, your pension will revert back to the original, day one level.

I believe the current full UK state pension is just under 100 GBP per week.

Hopefully the UK govt. will one day stop this unfair discrimination against pensioners in so-called "non-uprated" countries. There is no logic in it. They do it merely because they can. No other European govt. does it.

http://www.britishpensions.org.au/internat..._consortium.htm

Thanks JetSet for that information which confirms my understanding.

I too would be very interested to hear where you get your "facts" from Mr. Dumball. Please tell.

The current pension for fully paid contributions is £90.70 per week As stated you can claim it anywhere in the world but will only attract increases if you live in the EU............ Not Thailand.

<a href="http://" target="_blank"></a>Can my UK pension be paid to me while I am in another country?

You can be paid a UK State Pension anywhere in the world, but you will only get annual increases if you live in any other EEA country, a country with which the UK has a social security agreement that allows increases, the Isle of Man or Sark.

http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/state-pension/home.asp

Better quit the LOS and move to Sark then... help pay for my Zimmer.

Though what are the short time girls there like?

No mention of Herm?

Well said rixalex. I too would like to know more about dumball's personal circumstances, specifically what reasons the UK government department have given for his low level of pension.

Governments make decisions , they do not give reasons , but i can only say what comes from my heart , i live in another country now or , as i have had excitable reasons to feel somewhat upset about my particular treatment , certain departments are lucky i am where i am . However , i have pigs , half a dozen rice padies , chickens , a property with fruit trees , a sewing machine , generator , water machine etc and all paid for , i am self sufficient , screw them and you , my ass is covered , i sincerely hope yours is because i do not need anybody , the British army taught me this ,i still love my country of origin despite whatever , it made me who i am today , god save the Queen .

you still havent aid which war you fought in for 6 years so we could benefit from the freedom

Whom said i 'Fought' in a war ? Active service is an absolute , freedom for mankind is obtainable and tenable in many ways , mine is to know and yours to question , that is a perogative of all mankind . Some questions are far better left unanswered , the oblique methology of conflict in some arenas , beyond the comprehension and culpability of the civilian mind , please let it rest where it lies , recall can be drastically debillitating to even the most resolute of minds , i am settled to live with me , just be content with your freedom .

you still havent aid which war you fought in for 6 years so we could benefit from the freedom

I wrote you a response but it has not been posted , should it not come up i will happily repeat it , it is not what you would like to hear (read) , but i have little fear , a feeling that i learned how to ignore .

I'm in the same boat but have been working out of the UK for a total of five years, the main point to consider, will there be a state pension available when you/we retire. The slush fund is slowly disppearing, people are living longer blah blah

That's the problem. There is no slush fund. Today's taxpayers pay today's pensioners.