Ultra Portable Pcs: Asus, Acer, Msi

Richb2004v2

Bought my Acer one 2 months ago for 19150 baht I'm very happy with it. The only two things I miss on it is a sim card slot and bluetooth. I have the 120gb version. Saw it for sale yesterday for 17150baht, and a 160gb version for 19150 baht. Mine has a six cell that gives me around 6 hours battery life. Also supplied was a original shoulder bag and an envelope sized pocket for the machine

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to 2 shops today to compare the 1000HD and the Acer 1. I liked the look of the Acer and its got pretty much the same specs as the EEEpc. But a bigger hard drive(120G). I then went to Harvey Norman and they had the Eee Pc 1000HD. THis looked alot better with the bigger screen but then had less HD(80G). But as for how it looked, i'd go the EEEPC. The price is virtually the same. Just under AUd$700 with the Acer getting 100 cashback. However i could proably pick up an Acer on ebay for around 400-500. So a big saving. Yet i cant seem to get the same price difference on the EEEpc. But then there are less for sale on there. So i guess i'll just keep looking and decide later as theres no rush.

Well i finally made a decision and bought the Acer. I went to a few shops and the cheapest i could get was $600. Then you send off to Acer and you get $99 back. So making the overall cost about $500. Which isn't too bad. But i managed to get it even cheaper on ebay. I paid just under $500 and then i get $99 back from Acer. So basically it will have cost me about $400. Will give more of an update when i recieve it.

Hi Jock,

could you give me a link to the ebay dealer please?

cheers

gd

I went to 2 shops today to compare the 1000HD and the Acer 1. I liked the look of the Acer and its got pretty much the same specs as the EEEpc. But a bigger hard drive(120G). I then went to Harvey Norman and they had the Eee Pc 1000HD. THis looked alot better with the bigger screen but then had less HD(80G). But as for how it looked, i'd go the EEEPC. The price is virtually the same. Just under AUd$700 with the Acer getting 100 cashback. However i could proably pick up an Acer on ebay for around 400-500. So a big saving. Yet i cant seem to get the same price difference on the EEEpc. But then there are less for sale on there. So i guess i'll just keep looking and decide later as theres no rush.

Well i finally made a decision and bought the Acer. I went to a few shops and the cheapest i could get was $600. Then you send off to Acer and you get $99 back. So making the overall cost about $500. Which isn't too bad. But i managed to get it even cheaper on ebay. I paid just under $500 and then i get $99 back from Acer. So basically it will have cost me about $400. Will give more of an update when i recieve it.

Hi Jock,

could you give me a link to the ebay dealer please?

cheers

gd

PM sent mate :o

Just bought my EEEpc at Tesco, it's on offer for 12K or something alike.

900 series with 30 GB HD, comes with linux, but installed XP on it.

Works like a charm and picks up wireless rather good.

Seems like most people advise to upgrade to 2GB internal though.

Just bought the same (Mall Ram, 11000 B with XP).

Turned out completely useless:

Very slow (never mind, just drink some coffee between the key strokes).

Waaaay too heavy to carry it around all day. I just moved it 4 times, now it's gathering dust on a shelf. Not suitable for a mobile worker. This makes it useless for me.

Picks up WiFi very well - what I didn't know is, WiFi is useless. Out of 3 places that I was interested in 2 don't have WiFi at all, 1 has 54 ThaiMb/sec which is the speed of a dial up modem. OK to read an email in an emergency (go to toilet between keystrokes, coffee is not enough) but not suitable to surf the net. This makes the ASUS useless again.

I will probably just throw it away, maybe give it to the kids.

BTW Keyboard is fine. Battery is 5800 mAh, quite ok, lasts about 2-3 hours (if you don't actually use the notebook).

Surely the 900 model, which I assume you have, is only 1Kg approx. I can't imagine there are too many laptop computers that are lighter. It seems to be a little bigger then a novel. What did you expect, a PC the size of a fag packet?

What do you mean wi-fi is useless? I am using wi-fi now and it is great. I think that what you mean is that the wi-fi connection you have been using are useless. If the places you want to use it in doesn't have wi-fi you can hardly apportion the blame to your laptop. Your review of the machine is completely unfounded. Even if you were using the best laptop money can buy if there is either no wi-fi connection or only a very poor one you will have a slow connection. However if you want to get rid of the machine that badly I will gladly take if off your hands.

yes, they write 1kg. I am sure if i would actually weigh it it would be like 1.3 kg and somebody like u would explain to me that surely i forgot to consider the weight of the air around the computer blablabla. IT nerds always find nice excuses to tell the user why its his fault. Its never the computers faul.

My point is not how many kilo, my point is it turned out to be much too heavy to comfortably haul it around 24/7. For me, that would be the idea of mobile computing. I am obviously to weak for this. By now I was lectured that ppl buy notebooks not for mobile computing (after all, i can just as well lug my desktop around town) but as a fashion statement (a girl I know is buying a notebook even she has no internet connection whatsoever). Sorry, I didnt know.

As for wifi, I fully understand that its not ASUS' fault that there is no good wifi in bkk - at least not in the 5 places i checked. I must admit, I didnt check Westin Plaza, Suwannabhumi and Gullivers. Cos those are not the places I would want to use it anyway.

Its not ASUS' fault - but it makes the eeePC useless for me and useless for mobile computing in bkk. Oh I forgot, ppl dont buy notebooks for mobile computing, its a fashion statement.

A very nice little machine that no one has mentioned so far is the relatively new HP 2133 mini-PC. I am running one now, they come in a few versions, Linux and Windows etc. I have the top current model that came pre-loaded with Vista Business and it runs great. The build is much more robust than the little plastic guys that this thread is concerned with, has an 8.9" screen, great keyboard which is 95% full size and a few other great features. 160gb hard drive is nice too and 2gb ram standard. I run it at home with an external 17" widescreen LG monitor and take it with me everywhere else. I bought it the week they launched for 34,000 baht but they are now down to 24,000 due to the stiff competition with the eee and the acer.

I just got a Nokia N810 internet tablet ,it can access the net with wi-fi only, well also via bluetooth and your mobile.

Its about a third bigger than my 80gb Ipod.

I can fill up mini/micro sd cards with music and with my shure headphones it sounds better than the Ipod so i can

ditch the The Ipod.

Now this tiny computer is only for me on my travels, so I can do my banking and check my mail and a small amount

of surfing its not a replacement for a full size or even a netbook such as my acer1.

Most important its not a phone and I do not want to spend any more time on a computer than i have too.

So as long as I can find wi-fi I can go on the net and do the basics and get back to relaxing

So I now have a tiny computer-Ipod-gps-maps that fit in my pocket and there is loads of software to download

Oh and I have Skype that works.

Its linux of course so no paying for anything of course you do need wi-fi cost me 320euro.

There is a wi-max version out.

So With my tiny samsung mobile and the nokia tablet i can carry even less, should get the bag down to less than 8kg.

Oh will download some e-books and load them on to a 8gb SDcard. :D:o

Has anyone tried installing TINY XP on their Linux EEE? From what I have read, seems it is a very small install size (3-400 mgs)and is not a ram hog like the full version.

Well I finally picked up an external CD drive and took the plunge with Tiny XP. It installs with no problems at all. It is not quite as small as I had hoped, I had about 350 mb left after installing the required drivers out of the original 1.85 GB. I am still in the process of downloading and installing programs (Firefox, OpenOffice, etc.) One interesting note is that I was able to install Firefox to the 2 gig sd card I have installed, thereby saving some valuable "c" drive space. I am hoping I can do the same with OpenOffice.

I will post again after a few days of experience....

Has anyone tried installing TINY XP on their Linux EEE? From what I have read, seems it is a very small install size (3-400 mgs)and is not a ram hog like the full version.

Well I finally picked up an external CD drive and took the plunge with Tiny XP. It installs with no problems at all. It is not quite as small as I had hoped, I had about 350 mb left after installing the required drivers out of the original 1.85 GB. I am still in the process of downloading and installing programs (Firefox, OpenOffice, etc.) One interesting note is that I was able to install Firefox to the 2 gig sd card I have installed, thereby saving some valuable "c" drive space. I am hoping I can do the same with OpenOffice.

I will post again after a few days of experience....

OpenOffice and Adobe reader all installed to the SD card, so no real problem with space. So far it seems that it is working much better under this Tiny XP than it did under the Linux os. Boot time is about 60 secs, videos play smoother, pages load quicker, installing programs is easier......I really see no downside to this. I am not a big MS fan, but in this case I have to say I prefer this OS.

Well I finally picked up an external CD drive and took the plunge with Tiny XP. . . . It is not quite as small as I had hoped.

MicroXP is even smaller than TinyXP, with an .iso of only about 104 MB. That's what many owners of these ultraportables are using.

Well I finally picked up an external CD drive and took the plunge with Tiny XP. . . . It is not quite as small as I had hoped.

MicroXP is even smaller than TinyXP, with an .iso of only about 104 MB. That's what many owners of these ultraportables are using.

Yes, I also have Micro XP but thought I would try This TinyXp first. Tiny has about 8 options on install, with or without IE OE WMP, with or without drivers, etc. Also has a "bare" option which I suspect is close to the Micro size, but it must be lacking a lot of features. I am happy with the ver I used (option 2) with OE, IE and WMP but with out all the drivers. I then got the nessesary drivers from the ASUS site and now all working flawlessly. I have some time on my hands now and was expecting to have to tinker with this installation a lot to get it to work, but actually a bit of a non-event.....have a fully functioning EEEPC so now I'm bored :o

Ive been thinking of buying a note book , and have read several good reviews of the MSI Wind U100 ,

Ive not yet managed to see on in a shop for sale, but found them for sale at an on line store in Bangkok,

this is the spec -

Monitor: 10"W LED

CPU: Intel Atom 1.6GHZ, 512kb L2 Cache, FSB 533

Chipset: 945GMS+ ICH7-M

Wireless Lan: MS-6894

Lan: 10/100 Ethernet LAN

HDD: 160 GB 2.5" SATA

RAM: 1G DDR2 667 Support up to 2 GB

ODD: No Support

VGA Card: UMA Shared

Colour White, Pink, Black

Others :

Bluetooth, 5 in 1 CardReader(MMC, MS, MicroSD, SD, SDHC),

1.3 Mpx Webcam, USB 2.0 x 3

Weight: 1 kg

Battery: 6 Cells

Warranty: 1st Year International Warranty

Free: Free MSI Softcase

priced at - 18,724 baht

as you can see it comes loaded with Linux ,and and if you want it to come pre installed with Windows XP home Edition its an extra - 3, 200 baht

but the shop has to un pack it to install the OS which I wonder about :o

making a grand total of - 21,934 baht

As a non technical type, I am wondering about the specification and the shop opening the computer to install the WXP OS , which I would want,

what do you guy's think to the above , any comments ?

Ive been thinking of buying a note book , and have read several good reviews of the MSI Wind U100 ,

Ive not yet managed to see on in a shop for sale, but found them for sale at an on line store in Bangkok,

I have my eye on that same model after reading several reviews and comparisons. I only found one on-line store and it only had the 3 cell battery versions, all the 6 cell models were sold out. :o Do you have a link to the on line store you found them at?

Just saw the Lenovo S10 in Tukcom. Sweet! ~18,000 but includes 160 GB HD and Bluetooth. Tempted...

Here's an interesting article / review of the Lenovo S10 , I am wondering if it has a LED back lit screen like the MSI Wind U 100.?

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/lenovo-s10.aspx

it seems there's a large choice of smaller notebooks about at the moment :o

I have my eye on that same model after reading several reviews and comparisons. I only found one on-line store and it only had the 3 cell battery versions, all the 6 cell models were sold out. :D Do you have a link to the on line store you found them at?

Here you go, I think its only been shown today :D

http://www.shop4thai.com/en/product/23172/

please let me know if you get one :o

well I've had my 701 for quite a while now, and while I really like it for it's intended purpose [just getting connected quickly and easily and catching up on emails etc] I've found it's limit now. I've been in LOS for a month now and trying to do any serious work [updating blogs, working on google docs, etc] the screen is just a bit too small and the keys a bit too slow. I hooked an external kbd and mouse bit still, the screen is the issue.

It excels at what it's designed for - good battery life, light and easy to carry, has never failed to connect to a WIFI or CAT5 network. And this is with the original Xandros in advanced mode.

Having said all that, though, I'm stopping Singapore on the way back - I'll be having a good close look at the S101...

Here you go, I think its only been shown today :o

That's the site I order the majority of my computer stuff. Funny thing, I have been checking it nearly daily for the Wind and it wasn't there. Thanks for the heads up. Tohome.com is where I usually find those items but appears they are not carrying MSI brand.

//edit - just noticed that tohome.com has added a new category Netbooks but no MSI there.

Here you go, I think its only been shown today :o

That's the site I order the majority of my computer stuff. Funny thing, I have been checking it nearly daily for the Wind and it wasn't there. Thanks for the heads up. Tohome.com is where I usually find those items but appears they are not carrying MSI brand.

//edit - just noticed that tohome.com has added a new category Netbooks but no MSI there.

I only found out about www.shop4thai.com stocking the Wind by emailing them to day, heres another Thai web site selling the Wind,

but out of stock on some things for now ..

http://www.pcresource.co.th/computer/noteb...-c-327_948.html

:D

Actually the MSI Wind is sweet too, but at 20,000+ delivered with Linux it's a bit in the expensive end...

Yes I was hoping to find the Wind U100 on sale some where a bit cheaper and with WXP already installed, I saw an advertisment bill board out side an S.E.D Thai book store saying you could pre order the Wind U 100 from them , and have it come with WXP preinstalled for an extra 1,070 Baht . you had to leave a 5, 000 Baht deposit and they would get for you within 3 days, but ordering it from a book store did not some how feel right :o

Just seen this :o

LG X110 netbook

LG's X110 netbook has been listed with several European retailers. Currently only the pricier model with 3G support is listed and the price, as expected, stands at €499.

Although it ends up priced well above established 10-inch models such as the Eee 1000H and MSI's Wind, it does offer several interesting features, most notably 3G/UMTS support. Apart from the mandatory N270/945GC/1GB memory combination, the LG offers a spacious 160GB hard drive and a non glare 10.2-inch screen.

With a 3-cell battery it weighs 1.19kg, although some sources claim 1.3kg. We're not sure if LG will offer a 6-cell option anytime soon, but we can see it coming sooner rather than later, as other vendors already offer 6-cell SKUs. It will be available in pink, white and black and should be available by the end of the month.

A cheaper version without 3G support should appear a bit later, priced at €399.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=c...36&Itemid=1

TL