Ultra Portable Pcs: Asus, Acer, Msi

Richb2004v2

You might want to find or wait for the Acer1 with a six cell battery I have just ordered the battery separately at a cost of euro99, on top of the euro349 the acer1 cost in the first place.

I have the Acer1 with linux 120gb and its fine not a machine to spend hours on but perfect for travelling.

Get fox marks to synch with your other computers,use no script,

and it does the job.

With headphones it plays MP3s fine .

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought the Asus Eee 1000H with XP here in Canada, just over a week ago when there was a price drop. Competition can be a positive. So far I'm quite happy with it. I bought a small wireless mouse and an external dvd drive to use with it, so both have enhanced the Asus. It's all a big learning curve for me since I'm jumping to this from an old (eight year) Pentium III, using Windows 2000. First time I've ever used wifi. I especially like the 10 inch screen and this netbook's portability. No problems with the keyboard. I don't need anything more powerful, so eventually, once the PIII goes, this may turn out to be my primary computer.

Perhaps I posted this too soon. Still playing around with the Asus. So far I like it, except for the sound quality coming from the built-in speakers. It sounds muffled with a lot of distortion at the highest volume settings, even though it doesn't sound all that loud. I expected more from a device that has Dolby. Maybe I've set it up wrong. :o

Just bought my EEEpc at Tesco, it's on offer for 12K or something alike.

900 series with 30 GB HD, comes with linux, but installed XP on it.

Works like a charm and picks up wireless rather good.

Seems like most people advise to upgrade to 2GB internal though.

Just bought the same (Mall Ram, 11000 B with XP).

Turned out completely useless:

Very slow (never mind, just drink some coffee between the key strokes).

Waaaay too heavy to carry it around all day. I just moved it 4 times, now it's gathering dust on a shelf. Not suitable for a mobile worker. This makes it useless for me.

Picks up WiFi very well - what I didn't know is, WiFi is useless. Out of 3 places that I was interested in 2 don't have WiFi at all, 1 has 54 ThaiMb/sec which is the speed of a dial up modem. OK to read an email in an emergency (go to toilet between keystrokes, coffee is not enough) but not suitable to surf the net. This makes the ASUS useless again.

I will probably just throw it away, maybe give it to the kids.

BTW Keyboard is fine. Battery is 5800 mAh, quite ok, lasts about 2-3 hours (if you don't actually use the notebook).

Edited by uhuh

Just bought my EEEpc at Tesco, it's on offer for 12K or something alike.

900 series with 30 GB HD, comes with linux, but installed XP on it.

Works like a charm and picks up wireless rather good.

Seems like most people advise to upgrade to 2GB internal though.

Just bought the same (Mall Ram, 11000 B with XP).

Turned out completely useless:

Very slow (never mind, just drink some coffee between the key strokes).

Waaaay too heavy to carry it around all day. I just moved it 4 times, now it's gathering dust on a shelf. Not suitable for a mobile worker. This makes it useless for me.

Picks up WiFi very well - what I didn't know is, WiFi is useless. Out of 3 places that I was interested in 2 don't have WiFi at all, 1 has 54 ThaiMb/sec which is the speed of a dial up modem. OK to read an email in an emergency (go to toilet between keystrokes, coffee is not enough) but not suitable to surf the net. This makes the ASUS useless again.

I will probably just throw it away, maybe give it to the kids.

BTW Keyboard is fine. Battery is 5800 mAh, quite ok, lasts about 2-3 hours (if you don't actually use the notebook).

Surely the 900 model, which I assume you have, is only 1Kg approx. I can't imagine there are too many laptop computers that are lighter. It seems to be a little bigger then a novel. What did you expect, a PC the size of a fag packet?

What do you mean wi-fi is useless? I am using wi-fi now and it is great. I think that what you mean is that the wi-fi connection you have been using are useless. If the places you want to use it in doesn't have wi-fi you can hardly apportion the blame to your laptop. Your review of the machine is completely unfounded. Even if you were using the best laptop money can buy if there is either no wi-fi connection or only a very poor one you will have a slow connection. However if you want to get rid of the machine that badly I will gladly take if off your hands.

I went to 2 shops today to compare the 1000HD and the Acer 1. I liked the look of the Acer and its got pretty much the same specs as the EEEpc. But a bigger hard drive(120G). I then went to Harvey Norman and they had the Eee Pc 1000HD. THis looked alot better with the bigger screen but then had less HD(80G). But as for how it looked, i'd go the EEEPC. The price is virtually the same. Just under AUd$700 with the Acer getting 100 cashback. However i could proably pick up an Acer on ebay for around 400-500. So a big saving. Yet i cant seem to get the same price difference on the EEEpc. But then there are less for sale on there. So i guess i'll just keep looking and decide later as theres no rush.

http://www.shoppingsquare.com.au/product.php?id=5359

A$499

Be careful of these people, they cannot track paypal payments.

They advertise as an Aussie company.

They are not.

Check out their ebay site (Apus) for neg comments, they all say the same... Lost track of PP payment!

I don't think they are deceitful, they just cannot run a business properly.

edit: Delivery to the North Coast $50. :o 2kgs! Same charge if you live in 2000!

Edited by GungaDin

I originally bought the first gen 2G EEEPC for one reason only, to run SKYPE.

I'm curious about this aspect... how well do they talk on Skype? How is the sound and Microphone quality?

I've recently bought a full sized Asus laptop, and the sound input / output is excellent. The microphone is especially sensitive enough that it can hear all of the background sounds in the room, ans the speakers are sufficient enough to be hard easily.

I'm also a big user of Dragon voice recognition software, which works brilliantly on the full sized Asus laptop.

Would an EEE PC be this good?

I'm leaning towards the Acer. Slightly cheaper and pretty much the same spec. The wife is not convinced we need it though :D:D

They never are :o

Mine wasn't either- when I bought the full size laptop, I had originally set out with buying an EEE on my mind, but she talked me out of it and into the full size laptop instead. Still want an EEE though! Might have to go shopping without her!

After two months of deliberation I finally bought my Asus eeePC 901 today. I got it at what seemed like a good price of 14800 baht. I will also claim back the Vat at the airport. I had the shop leave Linux on it. After a few hours use I am very pleased with it. I'll see if I feel the same after a week or so.

Which Linux does it have?

I actually don't know. I think it is Xandros. How do I find out?

It was a struggle to have them sell me it without putting XP on it. They thought that there was no OS on it. Not much chance of introducing anyone to Linux here. :o

In my opinion, the sound quality for both the mic and speakers is excellent for SKYPE. There is no feed back/echo problems and everyone I talk to say I come thru load and clear.

Mucho gracias! Just added more to the "gotta get one" factor.

Still cant decide. I think i want the Eeepc 1000HD. But a little more expensive. The Acer looks good but a bit smaller and looks good also. One question though. How easy would it be to get a Wifi signal out in the country?(piggy back? :o ) Or are there any pay as you go Wifi options in LOs?

If you travel a lot and want decent battery life and dont mind paying a premium for it, i can recommend the Vaio TZ range. I bought the TZ17 in december when my other laptop was playing up and have had no problems with it. Battery gives me 5hrs of watching movies so long as i transfer them to the laptop and dont use an external drive. screen is great and it weighs just over 1kg. I paid a bit over 80000THB at pantip from one of the sony shops.

I have had my 4G EEEPC for almost a year now.

Love it. Has XP and is as small as a book.

It was 12Kbaht out the door all in.

Only complaint is I have "low memory space"

warnings alot especially when watching video off the net.

WiFi works great in the office [Math teacher] and

I have a Bluetooth dongle.

If you want small size, this is a good choice.

Have not looked at all the new competition though.

If you travel a lot and want decent battery life and dont mind paying a premium for it, i can recommend the Vaio TZ range. I bought the TZ17 in december when my other laptop was playing up and have had no problems with it. Battery gives me 5hrs of watching movies so long as i transfer them to the laptop and dont use an external drive. screen is great and it weighs just over 1kg. I paid a bit over 80000THB at pantip from one of the sony shops.

Wow! I wonder if it's 4 times better than the Asus I just bought.

Wow! I wonder if it's 4 times better than the Asus I just bought.

For that price you would hope so. :o

MSI Wind, new Battery.

I just rec'd the following email from Mark Fabian At Lion Battery

"We now have the finalized specifications for the NEW Mugen Power® 7800mAh 9-Cell (87wH) battery and we're now taking pre-orders. Let's start with the specifications: Model No.: HLI-MU100XL

Made for the For MSI U100 / Wind (& Medion Akoya Mini E1210 & compatibles)

Battery color: Black, White (Pink is coming)

Cell: Li-ION

Voltage: 11.1V

Capacity: 9-Cell battery

mAh Rating: 7800mAh

wH Rating: 87wH

Original Battery Model No. : BTY-S11

Original Battery Capacity: 2200mAh

Original Battery Cell Configuration: 3-Cell

Expected ship date: Tentatively 10/31 (or before)

Price: US$179.95 (before discounts – see below)

So, now that we have much of the details, we are starting to accept online orders through our web site. All shipments will be done on a first-come-first-served basis. As always, standard worldwide shipping is free. And, for those wondering, yes, its free WORLDWIDE shipping.

When you go to our web site do not forget to use the Discount Code: MSIWIND.NET. This code will give you a discount of 10% on both the item and shipping (if you don't take the free standard shipping option). This will being the price of the battery down to: US$161.96. Please note that the discount code is only valid until we begin shipping. At that time we will disable the code and the discount will no longer be available.

If you are wondering where you can get them, they can be ordered here:

Black: http://www.lionbattery.com/description.php?noproduit=1630

White: http://www.lionbattery.com/description.php?noproduit=1631

If you are not comfortable entering your credit card information online and would prefer to order via fax, please go here: http://www.lionbattery.com/manorder.php and download our fax order form. Once you've filled it out, please fax it back to us (+1-450-349-7337) and we'll take care of your order.

Remember that we accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and Paypal."

So, let us know if you have any questions or please visit www.msiwind.net for updates and community association."

===================

edit: bold by me.

Can someone tell me other names for the MSI Wind & cost of an extra 1 GB of Ram?

Amazon are selling the Wind for about $450 USD. with 120 GB HD

Thailand?

cheers :o

Bought a eeepc 1000h in phuket last month and love it it is so small and portable, great wifi reception and easy to use. Old 17inch laptop hardly gets used these days. Too big and isnt really any good unless connected to the mains as battery life is too small whereas with the eeepc I am getting 4.5-5 hrs use on a full battery.

MSI Wind, new Battery.

I just rec'd the following email from Mark Fabian At Lion Battery

"We now have the finalized specifications for the NEW Mugen Power® 7800mAh 9-Cell (87wH) battery and we're now taking pre-orders. Let's start with the specifications: Model No.: HLI-MU100XL

Made for the For MSI U100 / Wind (& Medion Akoya Mini E1210 & compatibles)

Battery color: Black, White (Pink is coming)

Cell: Li-ION

Voltage: 11.1V

Capacity: 9-Cell battery

mAh Rating: 7800mAh

wH Rating: 87wH

Original Battery Model No. : BTY-S11

Original Battery Capacity: 2200mAh

Original Battery Cell Configuration: 3-Cell

Expected ship date: Tentatively 10/31 (or before)

Price: US$179.95 (before discounts – see below)

So, now that we have much of the details, we are starting to accept online orders through our web site. All shipments will be done on a first-come-first-served basis. As always, standard worldwide shipping is free. And, for those wondering, yes, its free WORLDWIDE shipping.

When you go to our web site do not forget to use the Discount Code: MSIWIND.NET. This code will give you a discount of 10% on both the item and shipping (if you don't take the free standard shipping option). This will being the price of the battery down to: US$161.96. Please note that the discount code is only valid until we begin shipping. At that time we will disable the code and the discount will no longer be available.

If you are wondering where you can get them, they can be ordered here:

Black: http://www.lionbattery.com/description.php?noproduit=1630

White: http://www.lionbattery.com/description.php?noproduit=1631

If you are not comfortable entering your credit card information online and would prefer to order via fax, please go here: http://www.lionbattery.com/manorder.php and download our fax order form. Once you've filled it out, please fax it back to us (+1-450-349-7337) and we'll take care of your order.

Remember that we accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and Paypal."

So, let us know if you have any questions or please visit www.msiwind.net for updates and community association."

===================

edit: bold by me.

Can someone tell me other names for the MSI Wind & cost of an extra 1 GB of Ram?

Amazon are selling the Wind for about $450 USD. with 120 GB HD

Thailand?

cheers :o

MSI Wind Clones Galore .......

http://cloudbookumpc.com/the-many-versions-of-msi-wind

The New The Luxury Wind ......

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=c...22&Itemid=1

Thai web site .......

http://www.pcresource.co.th/computer/noteb...-c-327_948.html

TL

I went to 2 shops today to compare the 1000HD and the Acer 1. I liked the look of the Acer and its got pretty much the same specs as the EEEpc. But a bigger hard drive(120G). I then went to Harvey Norman and they had the Eee Pc 1000HD. THis looked alot better with the bigger screen but then had less HD(80G). But as for how it looked, i'd go the EEEPC. The price is virtually the same. Just under AUd$700 with the Acer getting 100 cashback. However i could proably pick up an Acer on ebay for around 400-500. So a big saving. Yet i cant seem to get the same price difference on the EEEpc. But then there are less for sale on there. So i guess i'll just keep looking and decide later as theres no rush.

Well i finally made a decision and bought the Acer. I went to a few shops and the cheapest i could get was $600. Then you send off to Acer and you get $99 back. So making the overall cost about $500. Which isn't too bad. But i managed to get it even cheaper on ebay. I paid just under $500 and then i get $99 back from Acer. So basically it will have cost me about $400. Will give more of an update when i recieve it.