High Prices On Cars

Bengt

I have come to a conclusion that its VERY expensive to buy a car in Thailand and I think its some kind of tax that makes the prices so high but a pickup for ex. is cheaper than a sedan model.

But its also a BIG second hand market and the prices still high but in second hand market i US or Germany or Sweden you can almost get a car for free compared to Thailand.

But in another way of view when i see all traffic jams here especially in Bkk maybe its the best to have high prices on cars.

But I also find out that the cost of owning is cheap compared to Europe for ex. service and repairing s and the fuel is not expensive at all but i think the government deduct the price of gasohol but i am not for sure about that.

If someone knows about taxes on cars pls reply here and i will understand more.....

Regards

Why are second hand cars pricey?

Well, having bought and happily owned a second-hand Toyota saloon car in Bangkok, I'll put my neck on the line (to the scoffs of other posters) and say that Thais look after their cars rather well, thus the vehicles do hold their value. Repair and maintenance is cheap and shops are abundant. Thai's really do change their motor oil every 3000miles, even if they have to live on 20baht noodles everyday to afford it.

This culture isn't the same in Europe - I think my Dad changed his car's oil about once in 30 years - plus cars in Europe have to contend with the cold (freezing and expanding the water) so second-hand cars are usually valued low because people know the car's haven't been looked after.

I agree with asiaworld new cars for the "normal"working person are reasonably priced, the BIG but is theres only limited variety of Thai built therefore low tax models. S/H vehicles are expensive for various reasons all conected to some degree, they never become uneconomical to repair (except crashed ones in 2or3 pieces) therefore never become worthless and drop out of the market unlike other developed countries, most of them have been on finance from new and the dealers do not want them to become less than the deposit against a new one to keep the repayment levels on a fairly level amount and sales continuous, even the most decrepid old banger you see is probably on the book at some small local finance company providing money for planting the rice or a unforseen drama thats why anything seems to be worth 80/100ks put on the strap for 30/40ks payed back when the rice is sold, until the next year start process again.

Whilst some Thais might take care of their cars I don't believe the majority do. Some sort of "mai pen rai" buddah crap will see them through to the day when it is broken and costs nothing to fix compared to servicing it. hel_l, just what percentage do you actually think have a license or insurance ? And how many do a runner after an accident ? Get real.

Whilst some Thais might take care of their cars I don't believe the majority do. Some sort of "mai pen rai" buddah crap will see them through to the day when it is broken and costs nothing to fix compared to servicing it. hel_l, just what percentage do you actually think have a license or insurance ? And how many do a runner after an accident ? Get real.

Used cars: There are two class of citizens. Some with the middle income they take care their cars. "Slums" they don't. I think in every country it's the same. It's depend from "Who" you buy your used car. Thailand is more expensive than Europe or even USA, why? Because in the "Western world" You can't afford to pay the labour anymore to respray or rebuild or fix your car again. Therefore a 10 year old car is nothing worth overthere. Europe: 10 Year old car, small little problems and the car goes in export.

New cars: High import taxes, to protect their own marked. Overhere they want that people using only "Thai Made Cars"

For the money of a new dam Civic, you would get a nice Buick in the States.

General: I don't like this situation too, but we have to accept this. Thailand still not the expensivest place to own a car. If you see Danemark or Uruguay for example, the cars there are twice more expensive than in Thailand. In Europe you can't afford the insurance, roadtax and police tickets anymore. All this things cost here penauts. Therefore it's better to living in Thailand with a "expensive" car and a lot of freedom and cheap costs, than living in Europe, with a "cheap" car and very high insurance, raodtax, high labour costs, salt on the road, which detroys your car, and the nasty MOT or TUV every year.

Edited by stingray

full ack!

its correct, used cars are a little bit expensive, but...if you only need a car to come from A to B, you can buy a new Pickup for under 500.000.

With three years warranty and low monthly rates if you wont pay it full.

So, buying a used car make no sense at all (for me)

Edited by vel_tins

Best part for me is spending all that money on a car then daubing the roof lining with white"stuff" always looks a right mess to me! Follow it up by dingly dangling things by the rear view mirror to obstruct view of road.......... classic. :o