Ninety Day Reporting.

I've never had any problem extending visas in the past after not reporting.

Your time will come. I didn't report for over 10 years because no one else I knew was. At that time the enforcement was nearly non-existent. Then a couple of years ago I went in for my visa extension (work) and the officer asked where my TM47 was and then pointed over to the 90 day report desk. 2000 Baht later immigration then approved my extension, which seems they would not have if I didn't get my 90 day up to date. :o

Are you serious? The fine is only 2,000 baht? It would cost me far more than 2,000 baht each time for each ninety day run to Nong Khai, Mukdahan, Nakhon Panhom or whatever ungodly backwater they would send me to for it, not to mention days of my life and work-time lost. A once a year fine of 2,000 baht is far preferrable. I would have thought it was more like 20,000 baht.

I've never had any problem extending visas in the past after not reporting.

Your time will come. I didn't report for over 10 years because no one else I knew was. At that time the enforcement was nearly non-existent. Then a couple of years ago I went in for my visa extension (work) and the officer asked where my TM47 was and then pointed over to the 90 day report desk. 2000 Baht later immigration then approved my extension, which seems they would not have if I didn't get my 90 day up to date. :o

Are you serious? The fine is only 2,000 baht? It would cost me far more than 2,000 baht each time for each ninety day run to Nong Khai, Mukdahan, Nakhon Panhom or whatever ungodly backwater they would send me to for it, not to mention days of my life and work-time lost. A once a year fine of 2,000 baht is far preferrable. I would have thought it was more like 20,000 baht.

Mail it in.

Instructions here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days

Wow, I've always been told that one MUST do one's ninety day reporting at the immigration office to which one is assigned - in the case of teachers the one in which one's school is located - for example in Issan one must mostly go to Nong Khai or Mukdahan. Lastly I was told that Nong Khai refuses to accept reporting by mail.

If one could just do everything in Bangkok this nightmare wouldn't be so bad, but I fear that is not allowed. (last time I tried to do a visa extension in Bangkok they refused, stating I must do it and could only do it at the office where I had previously extended).

Apparently they set up the mail in reporting realizing that some people live a long way from an immigration office.

I guess they set up one central location to simply matters. At least this way you don't have to find the address for your nearest ("whatever ungodly backwater") immigration office.

Edited by ubonjoe

i got my first retirement visa about ten weeks back so am due to send the 90 day reporting form soon.

2 questions: i arranged the visa in bangkok immigration... can i report to chiang mai instead?... i don't want to post a letter and:

everywhere i read people state use form TM47. However my visa in my passport says i should provide form TM7... which do i use?

i got my first retirement visa about ten weeks back so am due to send the 90 day reporting form soon.

2 questions: i arranged the visa in bangkok immigration... can i report to chiang mai instead?... i don't want to post a letter and:

everywhere i read people state use form TM47. However my visa in my passport says i should provide form TM7... which do i use?

Yes you can report anywhere...

TM47 form...not TM7 form...its a typo, spelling mistake or just a lack of knowelge on the part if immigration

The TM47 is for 90 day reporting, the TM7 is the application for extension of temporary stay in thailand. So use the TM47 which can be downloaded from the immigration site or Thaivisa.

//edit - it's possible they were referring to the 1 year visa extension based on retirement (TM7) if you are on a retirement visa and not an extension.