Baby Passport And Uk/thai Birth Certificate

Ok tommorow i have to go and reg. my baby, the baby will most likly take my surname on her brithish birth certificate.

on the 5th on november i have an apointment to go to the Thai embassy in London and to get the baby a Thai birth certificate and passport they inform me that the baby will on the Thai birth certificate and passport take the same names as on the english one.

I am wondering if this in any way will be detramental as I am aware it is difficult for Thai non nationals to buy property e.t.c

What I think I am getting at is it better to register the baby tommorow with my wifes family name (we are married if this makes a diffrence) and then use that english bith certificate to reg the baby at the thai embassy( so the baby has my wifes surname and not mine), and then change the baby surname to mine on her english birth certificate once this is done.

is this as clear as mud

bread

Ok tommorow i have to go and reg. my baby, the baby will most likly take my surname on her brithish birth certificate.

on the 5th on november i have an apointment to go to the Thai embassy in London and to get the baby a Thai birth certificate and passport they inform me that the baby will on the Thai birth certificate and passport take the same names as on the english one.

I am wondering if this in any way will be detramental as I am aware it is difficult for Thai non nationals to buy property e.t.c

What I think I am getting at is it better to register the baby tommorow with my wifes family name (we are married if this makes a diffrence) and then use that english bith certificate to reg the baby at the thai embassy( so the baby has my wifes surname and not mine), and then change the baby surname to mine on her english birth certificate once this is done.

is this as clear as mud

bread

Register in your name on both. If your baby has a Thai birth certificate and passport, then she can own land etc in Thailand as she will have the same rights as any Thai. You would be going through a lot of hoops and possibly making more trouble for yourself for no gain if you do it the way you propose. In the UK you are supposed to give her your name unless you are not married at the time of birth.

Don't forget to pay the extra money and obtain a "long" birth certificate when you register the birth tomorrow. This will be needed when applying for the Thai birth certificate.

To be honest, that Thai citizens are denied their birthright simply because they don't have a Thai name is a bit of an old wives' tale.

Scouse.

thanks charlie and scouse.

I have a long certificate, and will get the thai one in november.

Out of intrest if I was buying property in thailand could it be placed into my daughters name as she soon will be reg. thai, any ideas

bread

Good question. I'm not sure but remember hearing that my daughter would have to be 18 or 20. However I met a guy who 'said' he had bought a house in his year old daughter's name

Hi i don't mean to hijack your thread but,

I have a child to my thai wife he was born in England and has a British Birth certificate we are just in the process of applying for a british passport for our trip to Thailand in Jan. Can our son get a thai birth certificate and passport at any age?? he is just over 2 now.

Can he also get a Thai ID card?? does he need to be registered on the family book and how is this done?

Thanks

Jay

Edited by JayBpool

You can contact the Thai embassy in London and apply for a Thai passport for him. Since the mother is Thai, the child is by law also Thai. The rpoces is pretty dtraight forward. Just llok on the embassies website.

With the Thai passport you don't need a Visa for him. Leave the UK on the UK-passport and enter Thailand on the Thai passport. At check-in show both passports.

Hi i don't mean to hijack your thread but,

I have a child to my thai wife he was born in England and has a British Birth certificate we are just in the process of applying for a british passport for our trip to Thailand in Jan. Can our son get a thai birth certificate and passport at any age?? he is just over 2 now.

Can he also get a Thai ID card?? does he need to be registered on the family book and how is this done?

Thanks

Jay

Hey jay just to anwser your question as iv just had a little boy only he is born in thailand, i recommend that you just wait until you come over to thailand to sort it out, just go to the missus local amphur so she will register the birth and put the child on a house book(this has to be done whatever age), then apply for the passport here which only take 1 day if done at bkk.. the ID card comes at 15

Without a Thai passport the child will be considered a foreign national and needs to get a visa if they plan to stay in Thailand. Also the birthcertificate might need to be legalised in England before the amphur will accept it. Do it in London.