Wester Food @ Tesco Lotus Mukdahan

Issangeorge

On Friday I sent an e-mail to Tesco Lotus saying that with the increase of westerners in Roi-et and Mukdahan they should supply more western food in these stores. On Monday I got a call from the manager of the Mukdahan Store asking me about my e-mail and saying he would talk to his supplier and see if they could get more western food. He seemed very nice and spoke good English. Friday I am going to Mukdahan and I was thinking I would go and visit him. I would appreciate it if some of you guys living in the big centres like Kong Kaen, Korat, and Udon Thani could tell me what western foods you can get from your Tesco Lotus store. I am interested in cheeses, cold meets (salamis) good sausages, and lamb. If anybody in the Mukdahan area has any other suggestions let me know and i will add them to my list. Thanks. Issangeorge.

On Friday I sent an e-mail to Tesco Lotus saying that with the increase of westerners in Roi-et and Mukdahan they should supply more western food in these stores. On Monday I got a call from the manager of the Mukdahan Store asking me about my e-mail and saying he would talk to his supplier and see if they could get more western food. He seemed very nice and spoke good English. Friday I am going to Mukdahan and I was thinking I would go and visit him. I would appreciate it if some of you guys living in the big centres like Kong Kaen, Korat, and Udon Thani could tell me what western foods you can get from your Tesco Lotus store. I am interested in cheeses, cold meets (salamis) good sausages, and lamb. If anybody in the Mukdahan area has any other suggestions let me know and i will add them to my list. Thanks. Issangeorge.

Top marks to you Isaangeorge. Wasting your time going to the Nakhon Phanom Tesco though as it is the worst in Thailand or maybe Asia. List of complaints since it opened approximately 3 years ago is huge but -- caught in a downpour and they had no raincoats on display -- took 5 to find a box in the storeroom. Aisles blocked by double parked stackers, empty shelves, moving items 3 times in a week, 10 items check-out closed bec the girl went and got weighed and talk with her mother? Charged full price for items in the discount bin, not enough check-outs open, most times check out staff don't wai foreigners and so on and on and on.

Well done to the manager in Mukdahan. I will be there on Thursday and will shop there in preference to Nak Phanom which is a shambles.

George, this is your friend on the river North of town. Let me know what time you will be there & I & most of the farangs I know will meet you there to put in our 2 cents worth & add our moral support.

As a quick aside, I noticed they (Tesco) no longer carry Kraft salad dressings. I checked Tops & no joy there either. They seem to be reducing our brands, not expanding. Very odd as every week I seem to meet somebody who has just settled in this area. Strangely enough I usually meet & chat with them in Tesco.

George, this is your friend on the river North of town. Let me know what time you will be there & I & most of the farangs I know will meet you there to put in our 2 cents worth & add our moral support.

As a quick aside, I noticed they (Tesco) no longer carry Kraft salad dressings. I checked Tops & no joy there either. They seem to be reducing our brands, not expanding. Very odd as every week I seem to meet somebody who has just settled in this area. Strangely enough I usually meet & chat with them in Tesco.

So when you guys are there don't forget to tell the manager that all the farang food brands should be the same as the grocery around the corner in your hometown,not just any brand of salad dressing,and of course at the same price as in Europe.

"So when you guys are there don't forget to tell the manager that all the farang food brands should be the same as the grocery around the corner in your hometown,not just any brand of salad dressing,and of course at the same price as in Europe."

The above noted reply is why I seldom read & almost never post anything to ThaiVisa. 99.999% of the time it's 10 minutes of my life totally wasted.

Basjke, I will waste another minute or 2 & explain to you that my point was simply the "dissappearance" of a complete line of products that have been on the shelf since my first foray into Tesco. When I talk or write I make every attempt to be specific. Do I have to define "specific" for you or do you have the ability to look it up? Flame away if you like as this is my last glimpse at this topic.

"So when you guys are there don't forget to tell the manager that all the farang food brands should be the same as the grocery around the corner in your hometown,not just any brand of salad dressing,and of course at the same price as in Europe."

The above noted reply is why I seldom read & almost never post anything to ThaiVisa. 99.999% of the time it's 10 minutes of my life totally wasted.

Basjke, I will waste another minute or 2 & explain to you that my point was simply the "dissappearance" of a complete line of products that have been on the shelf since my first foray into Tesco. When I talk or write I make every attempt to be specific. Do I have to define "specific" for you or do you have the ability to look it up? Flame away if you like as this is my last glimpse at this topic.

This was no attempt at all to flame just only check with reality.

I don't have to explain to you why those products disappeared do I?

Business owners don't stock products that don't make profit,would you.Or did you think that they just gonna import a container of western goods and throw them away when expiry date comes because there is 0.005 % of their customers who want to buy those products when it really fits them.

I read it all the time on this forum.There are no western food products but when there are they will be too expensive or they have Pickwick teabags but we need Tetley's and the beans have to be Heinz because all other taste not same.Or it is cheaper to have them brought over by a friend who visits.

Best Example is the food service from Thaivisa which tried to cater to foreigners who live upcountry and NEED those western foods to survive.Where is it today?Closed because they got to much orders and couldn't handle them anymore?I don't think so because I read the topic regarding their service a few months after they launched the service and the only reactions you could read were.Oh too expensive and yeah but you have to buy this or that amount to get it delivered or don't need now because my friend just brought me teabags.

Same story with Villamarket who stocks a lot of western foods you can't find anywhere in Thailand.Too expensive,not the right brand.

So okay don't waste your time reading and writing on Thaivisa,go waste it whining to supermarket managers that they have to stock western foods instead of Thai.End of rant.

On my behalf, please ask the manager to do his best with regards supplying us with

goods we would love to see on his shelves. Any attempt on his part to please would

be most appreciated. I'm sure Tesco has a data base that gives all its 'best sellers'

nation-wide and Mukdahan's manager can see that, but if he is willing to be more

obliging then good on him!

Tell him to look out for 'farangs' in his store and we will all, I'm sure, be happy to give

him our personal choices.

(Tell him to watch out for 'baskje' above and to blank the prick)

On my behalf, please ask the manager to do his best with regards supplying us with

goods we would love to see on his shelves. Any attempt on his part to please would

be most appreciated. I'm sure Tesco has a data base that gives all its 'best sellers'

nation-wide and Mukdahan's manager can see that, but if he is willing to be more

obliging then good on him!

Tell him to look out for 'farangs' in his store and we will all, I'm sure, be happy to give

him our personal choices.

(Tell him to watch out for 'baskje' above and to blank the prick)

Don't worry I not gonna cry to him that I can't survive without Heinz baked beans.

• 4 weeks later...

I think George has brought up a topic here that strikes a chord with lots of us. One area I'd like to see improved is definitely sausages. Interestingly though, Makro (Roi Et included) has started selling the Kitchen King frozen range which features western-style Cumberland and 'fatboy' pork sausages, bacon and I think hamburgers. Avoid the thin pork which aren't so nice! These are made in Thailand and not expensive. Perhaps Tesco-Lotus could stock them or even its own-brand stuff. Some tinned products - mushy peas, baked beans etc - might also be easy to store over time. I would also love to see Tesco selling the big Chinese-made gas BBQs it sells in the UK (at the same price). Incidentally one of the senior managers in Makro Roi Et also speaks excellent English. He was telling me that he got an overseas degree in a science subject but switched to retailing.

Edited by citizen33

Top marks to you Isaangeorge. Wasting your time going to the Nakhon Phanom Tesco though as it is the worst in Thailand or maybe Asia. List of complaints since it opened approximately 3 years ago is huge but -- caught in a downpour and they had no raincoats on display -- took 5 to find a box in the storeroom. Aisles blocked by double parked stackers, empty shelves, moving items 3 times in a week, 10 items check-out closed bec the girl went and got weighed and talk with her mother? Charged full price for items in the discount bin, not enough check-outs open, most times check out staff don't wai foreigners and so on and on and on.

Well done to the manager in Mukdahan. I will be there on Thursday and will shop there in preference to Nak Phanom which is a shambles.

Funny enough, whenever I go to Tesco in NP with the missus we always get great service and none of the problems mentioned above, must have just been lucky.

Just an update, I met with the manager of Mukdahan Tesco, he was very nice and said he would talk to his suppliers about getting more western food stocked. Earlier that day I went to Tops in Mukdahan and bought Blue Cheese, salami and some Bratwurst sausages, I told the manager this and he said he would go and take some pictures to show his suppliers. I was in the Mukdahan Tesco on Monday Oct. 13, about a month after i talked to the manager and there was no change in the foods stocked. Issangeorge.

• 1 year later...

He doesn't, but I do...Try 12.5 hours on the VIP bus or about 9 in the truck.

But hey, If I can get HP Sauce for 99 Bt, I'll make the trip. I may have to buy 2 bottles to make it worthwhile.

By the way, it's been about 1.5 years since Georges OP. They finally put all the condiments together on the same aisle & they have added French's Spicy Brown mustard & Kraft RealMayo...but that's about it.

Edited by Tagaa

He doesn't, but I do...Try 12.5 hours on the VIP bus or about 9 in the truck.

But hey, If I can get HP Sauce for 99 Bt, I'll make the trip. I may have to buy 2 bottles to make it worthwhile.

By the way, it's been about 1.5 years since Georges OP. They finally put all the condiments together on the same aisle & they have added French's Spicy Brown mustard & Kraft RealMayo...but that's about it.

In the case of TOPS, The Manager doesn't order anything, All orders are Computer Generated according to what they have sold he has told me many times when i try to get him to order items from their monthly flyer. I buy a great deal of salad items and some Vegetables that are not available at the markets here along with dairy products like whipping cream etc. We require these items so we can provide the Best Restaurant Food in Mukdahan and i also have at least 2 deliveries per month from my supplier in Pattaya of everything from Meat Pies & Cornish Pasties to Duck & Steaks, Lamb Chops, Salmon plus Australian style Fat Steak house Chips. So if you want a Great Feed come to Mukdahan Manors-Waterfront Restaurant,The only Restaurant in Mukdahan that has the Menu to suit all including great Thai Food. And while your here i tell you how to drive to Pattaya in 7 Hours, if you take 9 or more you must be going via K.K.

A quick look down the Issan section of TV will reveal a guy in Buriram who supplies quality goods. Pies,pasties,steaks,sausages,pickles and a brown sauce that is so much like HP that you wouldn't know the difference.

I've been getting my stuff from him for over a year now. Great food,great service and fantastic prices.

He now even arranges delivery to my mate in Khon Kean so I'm sure he would do Roi et/ Mukdaharn.

^ Fill us in then. Who is he?

(Still a bit of a way don't you think?)

But if he's keen, and good, I'm up for it.

Like I said it's right in front of you. A thread with the words "Buriram" and "Pies".

Not a bit of a way either. He will arrange delivery.

• 4 months later...

I Shop the new tesco in kranuan not a great selection of western products but a lot better than was on offer before.

I make do with what i can get there,i also like the pre packed chicken great to put in the freezer for my stir frys,and the minced chicken i use to make spagetti bolognaise even my wife loves it.

Edited by nev