Buying On Finance, Farang Can't Register The Car

teacherofwoe

Firstly, apologies if this has been covered in a previous thread.

I went to my local Toyota dealer yesterday to enquire about a Vios. As I was putting down at least B200,000 I didn't need anyone to guarantee the finance. Great! Not quite. He said that as I was a farang I couldn't register the car in my name until it had been paid for in full.

Has anyone bought a new car on finance and registered it in their name right from the off?

Yes; needed my wife to act as guarantor. (At Toyota, end of 2007.) They also took a copy of my work permit, not sure if that is mandatory. My name is in the registration book, but I don't get the book until the finance is paid off.

Yes; needed my wife to act as guarantor. (At Toyota, end of 2007.) They also took a copy of my work permit, not sure if that is mandatory. My name is in the registration book, but I don't get the book until the finance is paid off.

Yes correct!

Edited by stingray

He said "farang mai dai".

I usually leg it out of the shop pretty fast when the conversation is limited to that

Ya you know it's all bad when you hear that.Some great deal on used cars on ko samui ,people bailing out,I guess..............................chuang is headed for a major downturn... I have never seen anywere near as many businesses for sale ,It's unbelievable........................I like the place but no way would I buy , when I see that ....................Sean :o