Getting Certified (!)

KhunNhu

Hello,

This is my first post so be gentle. Basically I've been here six years and can speak, read and write in Thai. What I would really like to do is have something to show for it, i.e. some kind of certificate. I'm obviously proud of myself for being self-taught, but have a bit of a sinking feeling about going home and having a big hole in my c.v. I have googled this subject to death and am going around in circles, I would to love to hear of some practical advice from someone that has done it. I have heard of people doing the Primary 6 exams but have no idea where, and that there is a Thai course at Chulalongkorn Uni, but they apparently don't accept non-degree holders. It just seems a shame to have nothing on paper to say that I am almost fluent in the intricacies of this amazing language. Also if there is some kind of advanced course, I would love to learn all of the things that I can't teach myself.

I really hope someone can help, I've seen some pretty amazing responses on this forum before, and have even learned about things I didn't realise I wanted to know!

Many thanks in advance for any advice, it really would be appreciated XX

Hello,

This is my first post so be gentle. Basically I've been here six years and can speak, read and write in Thai. What I would really like to do is have something to show for it, i.e. some kind of certificate. I'm obviously proud of myself for being self-taught, but have a bit of a sinking feeling about going home and having a big hole in my c.v. I have googled this subject to death and am going around in circles, I would to love to hear of some practical advice from someone that has done it. I have heard of people doing the Primary 6 exams but have no idea where, and that there is a Thai course at Chulalongkorn Uni, but they apparently don't accept non-degree holders. It just seems a shame to have nothing on paper to say that I am almost fluent in the intricacies of this amazing language. Also if there is some kind of advanced course, I would love to learn all of the things that I can't teach myself.

I really hope someone can help, I've seen some pretty amazing responses on this forum before, and have even learned about things I didn't realise I wanted to know!

Many thanks in advance for any advice, it really would be appreciated XX

I'm pretty sure that WITHNAIL successfully 'graduated' earlier thsi year or was it last.

AjarnP

• 5 months later...

on returning to your home country, you could seek accreditation as an interpreter and/or translator of thai as 'proof' of your proficiency for employment purposes, etc. this might be the most direct path.

of course, extra study at an advanced level in thailand would be great too.

You do not need a degree to register for the Chula course.

You can take their placement exam if you'd like to join in the higher levels, but I might caution you to choose carefully what course you enter... I've got someone in my current class at Chula who skipped a couple levels, and he is very far behind in some areas even though his vocabulary is ok. It might be worth taking a lower level course than you think you can handle, even if it just turns out to be a review... because it's very very hard to play catch up in an intensive language course.

Edited by Rionoir

Could anyone tell me how i enroll for the chula course from overseas...i will be moving to BKK in 3 weeks and want to enroll as soon as possible but from my understanding you have to get an acceptance letter first then send the money...so by that time i will probally beat my money that i have sent from o/seas...any ideas??? Thanks

I am currently studying Basic 2 in the Chula Intensive Thai program. These are my experiences.

There are no prerequisites such as needing a degree, you just have to pay the 25,000 baht and you can do this 10 minutes before the start of the course as I did. If you enter at a level higher than Basic 1, you need to do an assessment first. They use the same assessment for everyone, whether you want to enter at Basic 2 or Advanced 3 and it is therefore very tough and can be a bit daunting as I spent long periods staring at questions I didn't even understand! The test is mostly written, plus a (very fast) dictation and an oral interview.

I am also mostly self taught, so my vocabulary is very biased towards everyday situations and away from the sorts of things they like to discuss in an educational context! For instance, no one has ever said to me 'can you describe your characteristics' before.

But so long as you remember this isn't a test to try and pass (unless you are aiming for Advanced 3 or something) it's just to put you in the right level it's fine. Basic 2 is probably the level below where I am at, so I have spent a lot of time revising things I already kind of know (the first week or so was learning the Thai alphabet, I only really struggled with having to learn their phonetic english alphabet) but even then it's been useful to fill in lots of little gaps in my knowledge. And it is a pretty intensive course, I was quite glad I wasn't learning everything for the first time as they go pretty fast - I'd agree with Rionoir much better to be in a level too low than a level too high.

The classes are small - 9 in mine currently - and the teaching is excellent. Already 90% of the teaching is in Thai, and at the next level up I think they speak 100% Thai with no English allowed.

If time is short and you don't want to do a 5 week course, they might let you pay just to do the exam so you get a certificate.

Thanks for your post stony! its good to know you can turn up 10 mins before and enroll 5555 :D

Hopefully i can get a spot on the course now!

as i know you can't access to the course if the program is already started, and how can you join a course if you missed the previous courses ?

you need to wait the first course of the schedule to join like the program showing here : 3w.arts.chula.ac.th/~asc/2008%202009%202010.pdf

May 2009 already FULL :o

nosing around after following a link on the "intermediate thai resources" thread, i found this document:

http://siamwestdc.com/chula/sirindhornsite/brochure.pdf

it's a brochure describing the "The Chula Non-Native Thai Speaking Proficiency Test" held at Chula, which grades non-native speakers into Novice, Intermediate, Advanced, Superior and Distinguished levels. looks very demanding.

apologies if this is old news.

aanon

nosing around after following a link on the "intermediate thai resources" thread, i found this document:

it's a brochure describing the "The Chula Non-Native Thai Speaking Proficiency Test" held at Chula, which grades non-native speakers into Novice, Intermediate, Advanced, Superior and Distinguished levels. looks very demanding.

aanon

I've never seen this brochure before. I'm curious, what is the intended purpose? It doesn't seem to be for placement. Is it simply as a benchmark, so you know that you are an X on the Chua scale, similar to the use of the FSI scale?

aanon

I've never seen this brochure before. I'm curious, what is the intended purpose? It doesn't seem to be for placement. Is it simply as a benchmark, so you know that you are an X on the Chua scale, similar to the use of the FSI scale?

Well, if it helps, here's the page where I found the link to the brochure: http://siamwestdc.com/sirindhorn_thai_language_center